Start by marking “The Runaways ” as Want to Read:
The Runaways

The Runaways

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Winner of the prestigious Guardian Children's Fiction Award in 1988, this book is the compelling and unique story of two children, Julian and Nathan, from inner city London. Outsiders at school and unhappy at home, the two are strangely drawn together. They stumble across some money with which they try to buy friendship in their class, but with teachers and parents closing ...more
Paperback
Published (first published January 15th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Runaways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runaways

Camille
Twice a week, every week, my year six teacher would march our class to the tiny primary school library for 'reading time'. We had ten minutes to select a book, find a comfy spot to sit, and start reading.

On this particular day, I couldn't find a single thing to read. I'd scoured every shelf, but every book in the fiction section I'd either read (which was most of them...it was a small library for a big reader) or considered reading but dismissed.

Then I saw a book I'd never, ever seen before. It
Angela
Aug 26, 2011 Angela rated it liked it
I have been trying to think of books that I enjoyed as an older child/ pre-adolescent. I clearly remember selecting this from the school library at about eleven years of age because nothing else grabbed my attention that day, and then I remember not being able to put it down once I started reading it. Yet I can barely remember the story. So I give it 3 stars tentatively, knowing that at the time I did in fact really like it, but not really being able to put my finger on what it was that engaged ...more
Mysticmoon
Mar 23, 2016 Mysticmoon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gli assegno quattro stelle perché non è un libro perfetto (ma non per questo non lo consiglierei a ogni ragazzino dai 10 anni in su) e una voglio dargliela per il valore sentimentale.
Lo comprai quasi vent'anni fa e ad oggi l'ho riletto talmente tante volte che non saprei più se sono più vicina alle quindici o alle venticinque riletture (un adulto un libro simile lo legge in un paio d'ore al massimo) perché questa storia semplice di due giovanissimi outsider è deliziosa: avventura e sentimento co
Ramona Terry
This was a pretty good young adult book. Two kids on an adventure doesn't get much better than that. I have no major complaints other than the end. I thought it was sweet but insufficient. I need to know what happens next lol. Is this the first in a series and I just didn't know? That's how it felt. So 1 star knocked off for that
Joanne
Mar 18, 2014 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was edging into my teens. I don't remember much of the story but I do remember loving it. I felt the need to search for it and recognised the cover instantly. It's stuck in my head all these years so I deem it worthy of 4 stars for that even though my true recollections are fuzzy.
Niraj
Oct 20, 2015 Niraj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah! My favourite children's book - read this aged 13 and it hasn't left my mind since those glorious (well, they weren't for pimpled me at the time) days. Found a copy in a 2nd hnd bookshop today and knew I had to buy it.
Alta
Aug 11, 2015 Alta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth-read
A good idea and well-developed adventure, but not particularly well-written. The characters aren't very likeable for most of the book either. Slow-paced...
Emily
Jul 23, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my childhood favourites- I read this again and again, and believe I would still thoroughly enjoy it as an adult.
Yas Turner
I bought the book, runaways, from St Vinnies and found the blurb on the back really intriguing, so I bought the book for fifty cents. The book has a wonderful storyline, although, at times it does get hard to understand because the author uses English colloquial language from England. I'm Australian, so I had no idea of about what the English slang meant, but I still really enjoyed this book. I absolutely love how Julia and Nathan can get away with with everything that they did, however, I didn' ...more
evergreencrime
Jul 06, 2015 evergreencrime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a really long time ago but it stayed with me.
Rachael
This book was really good and i found it interesting.
Sarah Stirrup
Jan 18, 2014 Sarah Stirrup rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book as a child. It may be a bit outdated, but still, any child would be able to read and love this book. I'm definitely saving my copy.
Ashley
Jan 06, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome book that catches your attion from the moment you first open it. A most read for anyone that always wonders what they would do if they found a lot of money.
Ke
Jun 02, 2012 Ke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe most children and teens have had the fantasy that they should run away from home. This book addresses this desire in an exciting and real way.
Shell
Jan 18, 2012 Shell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had forgotten this until had clearest. Good story about 2 unpopular kids Julia and Nathan who run away after finding money
Bob
Jun 20, 2010 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite MG novel of all time. Hard to find anymore, but I've loved my copy to death.
Sally
Sep 29, 2011 Sally rated it liked it
I also had a penchant for stories about runaways - so daring and dangerous!
Amanda
Nov 07, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Officially My Favorite BOOK!!!
Kimberlite
Nov 15, 2012 Kimberlite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favourite book as a child.
Savannah Avery
Savannah Avery marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Veronica Lodge
Veronica Lodge marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
K
K marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Carlo Ventimiglia
Carlo Ventimiglia rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Vera Viselli
Vera Viselli rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Carissa Rodriguez
Carissa Rodriguez marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Deepanshu Sharma
Deepanshu Sharma marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Dhruv Gambhir
Dhruv Gambhir rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
  • Lima Sekawan: Menaklukkan Agen Rahasia (2)
  • More Naughty Little Sister Stories (Naughty Little Sister, #2)
  • Flour Babies
  • Mr. Majeika
  • The Complete Wizard of Oz Collection
  • Across the Barricades (Kevin and Sadie, #2)
  • Beware! Killer Tomatoes
  • The Revenge of the Demon Headmaster
  • The Mystery of the Whistling Caves (Adventure Island, #1)
  • What Eric Knew (Sebastian Barth, #1)
  • While The Others Sleep
  • David Beckham - My World
  • Mystery of the Witches' Bridge
  • Gold Medal Horse (Saddle Club, #55)
  • The Cartoonist
  • In the Path of the Storm (Farthing Wood, #6)
  • Gone 'Til November: A Journal of Rikers Island
  • Heartsease (The Changes Trilogy, #2)