Start by marking “The Night the New Jesus Fell to Earth and Other Stories from Cliffside, North Carolina” as Want to Read:

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Night the New Jesus celebrates storytelling a art and necessity. Like the best Southern writers, Ron Rash gives us funny without cornpone, irony without mockery, charm without sentimentality.
Published September 1st 1994 by Bench Pr

Be the first to ask a question about The Night the New Jesus Fell to Earth and Other Stories from Cliffside, North Carolina

Stories and Scripts by Zack LoveSo it Goes by Max Booth IIIThe Battle of Ebulon by Shane PorteousPenny Dread Tales by Christopher FiccoScience Fiction Trails 8 by James Wymore
Short Story Collections You Must Read
50th out of 109 books — 50 voters
Saints at the River by Ron RashEureka Mill by Ron RashAmong the Believers by Ron RashRaising the Dead by Ron RashWaking by Ron Rash
Best of Ron Rash
6th out of 15 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Sam
Feb 13, 2008 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humor; those interested in Western NC
Recommended to Sam by: Hannah Honeycutt
My grandfather grew up in Cliffside during the Depression. In The Night New Jesus Fell to Earth and Other Stories from Cliffside, North Carolina, Ron Rash shares tales that would have occurred a few decades later, when Grandaddy was working full-time in a mill, raising my mom and uncle with my grandmother in Kings Mountain, less than an hour from the title location.

I was amused and warmed by each story's description of Western North Carolina culture in the middle to latter part of the twentieth
Jim
What a delightful set of short stories, almost every one as good as the next (which is rare for collections, I think). His characters and scenarios ring true. These are people I know or knew of. Three narrative voices are used (each getting three or four stories), all members of a small southern Appalachian town: Vincent, who recalls his younger years dealing with his parents, a mill-townie done good as an art professor at a local junior college whose peculiar ways irritate the long-suffering bu ...more
Angela
One of my favorite Ron Rash books- short stories with a sly humor, told by 3 narrators, all set in small town Appalachia
Iman
A friend of mine, from North Carolina, recommended this author, and this book in particular. Living in Lebanon, I had no idea who Ron Rash was. Since I love being introduced to new authors, I immediately jumped on this opportunity. Although the characters live in a setting that is completely foreign to me, I was nonetheless quite attached to them, and found myself wanting to know more.
Kelley
This was written by an English professor from my college :-), though I was not in his class. I listened in at a lecture regarding this book, and found him to be an amazing speaker. He read excerpts from this book and had the whole audience drawn in. Very good book and I look forward to reading it again.
JoAnn/QuAppelle
Ron Rash is one of my favorite authors and his short stories are so well-written. I am very picky when it comes to this form of writing and would recommend his stories (and novels) wholeheartedly. Gems!
Misty
I read this to my "Granny" when she lived with me. It was required reading for Engl. 101, and I still think of it as one of my favorite books.
Lisa
What a great collection of stories. Laugh out loud funny, great characters and great writing.
Martha Morgan
Very enjoyable and humorus. Loved it.
Melody
Dec 13, 2012 Melody marked it as to-read
Coming to Southern Voices 2013
Bruce Woodbridge
Bruce Woodbridge marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Delia Byrnes
Delia Byrnes marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Morticia
Morticia marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Lennie Washington
Lennie Washington marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Tina Fisher
Tina Fisher marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Sheldon Lee Compton
Sheldon Lee Compton marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Lex
Lex marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Aabee
Aabee marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Flo Henry
Flo Henry marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Bill Householder
Bill Householder marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
James Stevens
James Stevens marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Sean Owen
Sean Owen marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Tim Linder
Tim Linder marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Leah RI
Leah RI marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
  • Kettle Bottom
  • I Hate To See That Evening Sun Go Down: Collected Stories
  • The Contrary Blues
  • Stories of the Modern South
  • Night Comes to the Cumberlands: A Biography of a Depressed Area
  • Same Place, Same Things: Stories
  • On Grandma's Porch: Stories and True Facts about Growing up Southern in the Good Old Days
  • Out of the Woods: Stories
  • Epiphany: True Stories of Sudden Insight to Inspire, Encourage, and Transform
  • Death in the Woods and Other Stories
  • War by Candlelight: Stories
  • Strange as This Weather Has Been
  • Switch
  • American Salvage
  • Writers on Writing: Collected Essays from ''The New York Times''
  • In a Dark Season (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #4)
  • Sergio Leone: Something to Do With Death
  • Aliens of Affection: Stories
Ron Rash is the author of the 2009 PEN/Faulkner Finalist and New York Times bestselling novel, Serena, in addition to three other prizewinning novels, One Foot in Eden, Saints at the River, and The World Made Straight; three collections of poems; and four collections of stories, among them Burning Bright, which won the 2010 Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award, and Chemistry and Other St ...more
More about Ron Rash...