Start by marking “The Night the New Jesus Fell to Earth and Other Stories from Cliffside, North Carolina” as Want to Read:

The Night the New Jesus celebrates storytelling a art and necessity. Like the best Southern writers, Ron Rash gives us funny without cornpone, irony without mockery, charm without sentimentality.
Published September 1st 1994 by Bench Pr

Be the first to ask a question about The Night the New Jesus Fell to Earth and Other Stories from Cliffside, North Carolina

Stories and Scripts by Zack LoveSpeedy Reads by Chris-Jean ClarkeSo it Goes by Max Booth IIIThe Battle of Ebulon by Shane PorteousPenny Dread Tales by Christopher Ficco
Short Story Collections You Must Read
14th out of 115 books — 62 voters
Saints at the River by Ron RashChemistry and Other Stories by Ron RashThe Night the New Jesus Fell to Earth and Other Stories from ... by Ron RashOne Foot in Eden by Ron RashAbove the Waterfall by Ron Rash
Best of Ron Rash
3rd out of 23 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Melody
Aug 21, 2015 Melody rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Ron Rash is a master with a short story. These are connected short stories but they are each stand alone too. Cock-eyed religion and a good bit of drinking can be found in all.
Diane Barnes
May 09, 2015 Diane Barnes rated it really liked it
Wonderful book of 10 inter-related short stories narrated by 3 different citizens of a small town in NC. Rash really nails small town life. These stories are humorous and poignant, with a couple of them funny enough to have me snickering all day long. This was his first book, and it's easy to see why he's such a respected author today. This guy could write from the get-go. Highly recommended to any Rash fans out there, or anyone else who needs a good read.
Sam
Feb 13, 2008 Sam rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humor; those interested in Western NC
Recommended to Sam by: Hannah Honeycutt
My grandfather grew up in Cliffside during the Depression. In The Night New Jesus Fell to Earth and Other Stories from Cliffside, North Carolina, Ron Rash shares tales that would have occurred a few decades later, when Grandaddy was working full-time in a mill, raising my mom and uncle with my grandmother in Kings Mountain, less than an hour from the title location.

I was amused and warmed by each story's description of Western North Carolina culture in the middle to latter part of the twentieth
Jim
Apr 12, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
What a delightful set of short stories, almost every one as good as the next (which is rare for collections, I think). His characters and scenarios ring true. These are people I know or knew of. Three narrative voices are used (each getting three or four stories), all members of a small southern Appalachian town: Vincent, who recalls his younger years dealing with his parents, a mill-townie done good as an art professor at a local junior college whose peculiar ways irritate the long-suffering bu ...more
Don Zabriskie
May 30, 2016 Don Zabriskie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rash's First Story Collection

This first effort of Ron Rash easily established his story telling skills and set the bar for many further stories and novels as well. Compared to Burning Bright: Stories, the other collection I first read, one can see the author's increasing depth of themes and human interaction. The good humor and fanciful introduction to Cliffside and it's inhabitants had me entertained from start to finish.
Judith
Aug 03, 2016 Judith rated it really liked it
Any Ron Rash fan will love this book. Ordinarily, I'm not interested in short stories; too short. But this was the usual "Ron Rash keep reading" kind of book. I found myself chuckling to myself and feeling sadness with the character throughout the book. It takes place in a small town in NC and in the last story you feel as if you are a neighbor of the characters who tell the story. Read and enjoy.
Gina
Apr 12, 2016 Gina rated it it was amazing
A delightful set of inter-connected short stories narrated by three different people. The stories are humorous and yet realistic to small town life in that time. My favorite quote was in the last story about dogwoods in spring. " It makes you feel like all your dreams can still come true".
Angela
Mar 22, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Ron Rash books- short stories with a sly humor, told by 3 narrators, all set in small town Appalachia
Sterling Woodruff
Dec 16, 2015 Sterling Woodruff rated it it was amazing
Excellent. I was living in the area the book was set in and it really is the way the author described.
Joe Vargo
Dec 04, 2015 Joe Vargo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reading.
Iman
Dec 28, 2013 Iman rated it really liked it
A friend of mine, from North Carolina, recommended this author, and this book in particular. Living in Lebanon, I had no idea who Ron Rash was. Since I love being introduced to new authors, I immediately jumped on this opportunity. Although the characters live in a setting that is completely foreign to me, I was nonetheless quite attached to them, and found myself wanting to know more.
Kelley
This was written by an English professor from my college :-), though I was not in his class. I listened in at a lecture regarding this book, and found him to be an amazing speaker. He read excerpts from this book and had the whole audience drawn in. Very good book and I look forward to reading it again.
JoAnn/QuAppelle
Jun 14, 2011 JoAnn/QuAppelle rated it it was amazing
Ron Rash is one of my favorite authors and his short stories are so well-written. I am very picky when it comes to this form of writing and would recommend his stories (and novels) wholeheartedly. Gems!
Misty
Jul 16, 2007 Misty rated it it was amazing
I read this to my "Granny" when she lived with me. It was required reading for Engl. 101, and I still think of it as one of my favorite books.
Lisa
Sep 02, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
What a great collection of stories. Laugh out loud funny, great characters and great writing.
Martha Morgan
Jul 23, 2012 Martha Morgan rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable and humorus. Loved it.
LJ
LJ marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Ryan Fletcher
Ryan Fletcher rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Mary Espy
Mary Espy rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Julieb
Julieb marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Alisa Free
Alisa Free marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
O. Poole
O. Poole marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Janie Nooner
Janie Nooner marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Griffin
Griffin marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Beverly Lavender
Beverly Lavender rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2016
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Gresham
Gresham rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Coleman
Coleman marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
  • Chimes from a Cracked Southern Belle
  • Willem's Field: A Novel
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, 2007
  • In the Valley of the Kings: Stories
  • Signs in the Blood (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #1)
  • On Grandma's Porch: Stories and True Facts about Growing up Southern in the Good Old Days (Sweet Tea, #3)
  • Epiphany: True Stories of Sudden Insight to Inspire, Encourage, and Transform
Ron Rash is the author of the 2009 PEN/Faulkner Finalist and New York Times bestselling novel, Serena, in addition to three other prizewinning novels, One Foot in Eden, Saints at the River, and The World Made Straight; three collections of poems; and four collections of stories, among them Burning Bright, which won the 2010 Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award, and Chemistry and Other St ...more
More about Ron Rash...