Start by marking “The Pillar of the Sky” as Want to Read:
The Pillar of the Sky

The Pillar of the Sky

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  160 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
From deep in the mists of time, Cecelia Holland has drawn forth this tale of life on the Salisbury Plain, among the Stone Age Britons who built Stonehenge. It is the story of hunters, of kings and matriarchs, and of one outcast boy who becomes a shaman, burning with a vision that will take shape in mighty pillars of stone.
Published July 7th 2000 by Tom Doherty Associates (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Pillar of the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pillar of the Sky

Megan
Jun 09, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
Another of my all-time favorites, I found this book in the CBU library years ago in high school and took it home because it sounded interesting. I absolutely could not put this book down. During school I recieved detentions for reading in class and not being on task. I read it during dinner and lunch and breakfast. I got limited sleep because I stayed up reading into the early hours of the morning. The way that the authors follows Moloquin from childhood to adulthood left me satisfied and his de ...more
Jeff
Mar 28, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it
Read this book when I was a teenager and I remember enjoying the story quite a bit. The story was original and spanned a lifetime. It was the second book I had picked up by Cecelia Holland and I hope to read more of her work in the future.
Tommy Miller
Sep 02, 2008 Tommy Miller rated it it was amazing
Excellent trip back to a simpler but more violent time. Obviously assumes a lot but cracking read all the same.
Debye
Sep 03, 2009 Debye rated it liked it
Read this way back wonder when and loved it too!! Might reread. (Catching up on past reads).
Debi
May 19, 2016 Debi rated it really liked it
I am glad I read this book although I did not particularly like it. Still it was well written and worth the reading. This is not the first book that I am glad I have read although I did not like it. So I am giving it 4 stars. Just because it was not my cuppa does not make it a bad book. Read it. I liked it enough to read it through because educated me and made Me think. It is truly an understandable explanation of how women had their power stolen by the fear and greed of men.The Game of Kings by ...more
Megan
Some parts of the culture were very interesting, but the plot was slow and the characters unlikeable.
Nigel
Jul 02, 2015 Nigel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A complex novel about the transition from one type of tribal living to another, brought about by one persons vision to create what we know today as Stonhenge. But in order to build it, Moloquin, the outsider, must reshape his people to suit his increasingly meglomaniacal ideas.
Todd
Sep 27, 2011 Todd rated it it was ok
Beowulf meets The Fountainhead. With a heavy dose Citizen Kane thrown in for tragic measure, or maybe All the King's Men? Either way, I kept being reminded of other novels that I enjoyed much more (and a movie). Sorry Cecelia...
Miffy
Jan 05, 2016 Miffy rated it it was amazing
I read this book many years ago. I'd love to read it again, if only I could find my copy! I remember the story well, it left a strong impression. I found it compelling and couldn't put it down!
Katrin
Oct 14, 2009 Katrin rated it did not like it
Unfortunately, there's no rating of zero.
Although this was fiction - usually my fave - I thought this book was a complete waste of time.
K.
Ciobair
Nov 08, 2015 Ciobair rated it liked it
another stonehenge story - not quite as good as Stonehenge by Cornwell
Kat Conlin
Kat Conlin marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Stellans
Stellans marked it as to-read
nick hancock
nick hancock marked it as to-read
Sue Howell
Sue Howell is currently reading it
Stephen J. Shimek
Stephen J. Shimek rated it liked it
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Beth Robb
Beth Robb is currently reading it
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jacquelyn Ritz
Jacquelyn Ritz rated it liked it
Debbi
Debbi marked it as to-read
Susan E. Newell
Susan E. Newell rated it really liked it
Carol Baker Dill
Carol Baker Dill is currently reading it
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Lola Brunson
Lola Brunson is currently reading it
May 18, 2016
  • Jass (Storyville, #2)
  • Circle of Stars (Circle, #2)
  • Robin and the King (Sherwood, #2)
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • The Heaven Tree Trilogy
  • King Hereafter
  • Knight's Honor
  • Song of the River (Storyteller Trilogy, #1)
  • The Wild Mother
  • Isabel the Fair
  • White Rose Turned to Blood (We Speak No Treason, #2)
  • The Strange Files of Fremont Jones (Fremont Jones, #1)
  • The Mistletoe And The Sword: A Story Of Roman Britain
  • Daughter of Satan
  • The Shepherd Kings (Epona, #2)
  • House of Illusions
  • Masters of Time (After Cilmeri, #10)
  • Kingston by Starlight
Pen name used by Elizabeth Eliot Carter.

Cecelia Holland is one of the world's most highly acclaimed and respected historical novelists, ranked by many alongside other giants in that field such as Mary Renault and Larry McMurtry. Over the span of her thirty year career, she's written almost thirty historical novels, including The Firedrake, Rakessy, Two Ravens, Ghost on the Steppe, Death of Attila,
More about Cecelia Holland...