Start by marking “Twilight Eyes” as Want to Read:
Twilight Eyes

Twilight Eyes

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  20,948 Ratings  ·  394 Reviews
They’re out there.Waiting. Watching. Unseen by normal eyes, but all too visible to Slim MacKenzie, a young man blessed—or cursed—by Twilight Eyes…

They’re out there

Lurking in the darkest shadows of an eerie, moonlit carnival. Feeding their twisted needs with human suffering. And fiendishly plotting the downfall of the human race…

They’re out there
But don’t scream.
They’ll hea
Audio CD, 14 pages
Published September 29th 2008 by Brilliance Audio (first published November 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Twilight Eyes, please sign up.

Quiddity I have read all of his books since the 80's in order of release. I started reading him under the name the Leigh Nichols and then went back to read…moreI have read all of his books since the 80's in order of release. I started reading him under the name the Leigh Nichols and then went back to read some of his books released in the 70's to catch up. If you liked Twilight eyes, I'd recommend going back from the late 70's onwards through his 'Leigh Nichols' period, if not before. He has a sea change in his writing around the late 90's that steps away from the genre I found most compelling to read by him, but as a favourite author for most of my life - I've followed him through the last 15 years from loyalty and even if his stories don't connect quite as deeply with me, his wonderful writing style still does. Reading chronologically works well with Koontz as over time his plots and characters become more numerous and involved and working backwards from his current writing may leave you a little disappointed. (less)

Colleen
Ok I'm finally finished....and I figured it out....Dean Koontz did not write this book.....it was a Goblin!!! This diabolical Goblin wrote this book to torture and harrass Dean's faithful readers. Bad goblin...bad..bad goblin!!!

So for the rest of you readers, don't read this book, your pain and suffering will only feed the Goblin!
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
Gerald
May 24, 2013 Gerald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A masterpiece.

Dean Koontz has written many great stories, but this may be his best ever. A haunting, chilling tale, following the journey of Slim MacKenzie. He's a drifter, but he's no ordinary man. With eyes the color of twilight, he's been blessed with a psychic gift: premonitions. He's also been cursed, for Slim can see the monsters hiding among us, feeding on our suffering.

And when Slim joins a traveling carnival seeking sanctuary, what he'll find is a hunting ground-with humanity as the pre
Steven Tiberius
Feb 23, 2007 Steven Tiberius rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chronic Masturbators
This book is utter shit, but when I read the sex scene near the beginning as a self-exploring man-child of 14 years of age, I couldn't help but think, "Now THERE'S something that'll happen to me painfully infrequently as an adult!"

Don't worry, this was my one and only Koontz book; I tried to read more and they were just fucking awful. I blame my mother for interests in these types of novels.
Trisha
Mar 18, 2008 Trisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has still got to be my all-time favourite Koontz novel. I have re-read it numerous times, and will no doubt continue to do so. I still feel like there should be a sequel to it!

Slim McKenzie and Rya Raines are two of the coolest characters in the world of fiction. And this book actually made me want to run and join the carnival.
CasualDebris
Jul 06, 2010 CasualDebris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
For my extended review and a parody of the writing, please visit Casual Debris.

Twilight Eyes fails on every level: conception, plot, character, development, character development, setting delineation and writing. Even the title is weak: a misplaced 1980s pop tune. The novel focuses on a seventeen year-old boy who has the inexplicable natural ability to see through the disguises of certain "people" and recognize them for what they truly are: porcine creatures bent on exterminating the human race,
Zuleika
Sep 25, 2007 Zuleika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror fiction.
I first read this book as a teenager, and it's been a favorite ever since.
To be able to see through a persons facade, and reveal the real person/beast beneath is an amazing gift that Slim has. This may not be the absolute best book I've ever read, but I just really love that angle.
I think I'm a pretty good judge of character, and can see where a person is coming from pretty quickly. I'm nowhere near as good as him though! :-)
Nora aka Diva
Jul 21, 2010 Nora aka Diva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dean-koontz
While an excellent read I find it difficult to describe. At the time it was quite original material. I do believe it's a topic that has been copied since then but never mastered quite as well. Again Mr. Koontz walks that thin line between believable scifi/thriller without going over the edge into the unbelievable. good read, fast paced without being hurried or forced along. Worth picking up.
Libbye
I read Velocity a few years ago and thought was a really interesting book. I remember disliking parts of it but not really caring because it was still compelling. Recently I saw a bunch of Koontz books for 50 cents and picked up a handful, coming away pretty excited. Twilight Eyes was the first of these I read, with really high expectations from my vague memories of Velocity. I was so sad. And frustrated.
"Slim" (wtf, your name is Carl) MacKenzie is your general perfect hero, he's only 17 but he
Dan
Nov 28, 2008 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving a rating to the 30 dollar special illustrated edition I bought so many years ago--it was one of the most painful disappointments of my youth--so much money for so little story. The illustrations were amazing (one of the foxy heroine and one of a creature under some wood paneling were great) but the story just was so much B.S.--the carnival setting didn't help either... oh god... the trauma... so bad...so...
Maciek
"Twilight Eyes" was originally published as a limited edition in 1985. In 1987 Koontz expanded the story by writing the second part and published it again...which unfortunately shows.

Part 1 is interesting: Slim McKenzie, A 17-year old boy who sees monsters he names "goblins" wanders into a carnival to find peace. These Goblins aren't your ordinary monsters - they hide under a human guise. But Slim has Twilight Eyes, a powr which allows him to see through the curtain and kill the wicked creature
Христо Блажев
Таласъми се хранят с болката на хората: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/o...

Историята започва доста ала “Джойленд”, но бързо си отива в посока страховит хорър – главният герой Слим Маккензи е преждевременно пораснал младеж, който има дарбата да вижда чудовищата, които населяват телата на част от хората около него. Повел личен кръстоносен поход, разкъсван от съмнения дали не е просто луд и убива невинни, той намира пристан в лунапарк, където всякакви прокудени от обществото души съжителстват
Dee Krull
Sep 21, 2011 Dee Krull rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I read from Dean Koontz. I had a long bread between clients one day and decided to go find something to read since I had finished another book. I had a very hard time putting this book down and I kept thinking to myself "Is this real?" that is how he writes. He talkes about real places and inputs a bazaar idea into real life. Scared me to death. Great writer.
Krista
May 30, 2012 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book so much that the front and back covers have come off and it may be time to buy another copy. It's different because the mosters are goblins posing as humans who want to destroy mankind. I also love the fact that the characters are in a traveling carnival. A part of me would like to live that life for a while and this gives it to me vicariously. lol
Brett
May 05, 2008 Brett rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Twilight Eyes is a better than average Dean Koontz novel, but still not a very good book. I was sort intrigued at the outset--the writing is a little more solid than most Koontz books and initially he did a fair job of allowing us to see of the interior doubts of the main character. At first the narrator, referred to as Slim, does not seem reliable, which is very unusual for Koontz, as he usually deals only in characters that are purely good or purely evil (one of the reasons why his books are o ...more
Caleb West
Jul 29, 2011 Caleb West rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twilight Eyes is not Koontz's best work, but I love it the most of any Koontz book I've read. Written earlier on in Koontz's career, you can see a different style than the one displayed so excellently in his newer novels, filled with spectacular imagery, infectious emotion, and sexy romantic undertones. Koontz reaches a lovely, dark place with Twilight Eyes, yet does not fall prey to a very common failure in horror writers; the hero and heroine are, while still human and thus imperfect, attracti ...more
wally
Sep 19, 2010 wally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: koontz
i enjoyed this story, one of my favorites...i enjoyed the shape-changing ability of some of the characters herein. thought the idea that "he had twilight eyes" a bit hooey, but i managed to overlook that....sorta like one of those outthrust determined chins....or mayhap sharply intelligent blue eyes....arrogant cheekbones.....he has twilight eyes and no, song lyrics and pablo doing bach's aria for the g string accompanied by piano didn't resound through the room....

even now i laugh at that one j
Michelle Weber
Apr 12, 2012 Michelle Weber rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a number of Koontz' novels and this one is by far the worst one I have read. His books usually keep me turning pages, but this book took me over a year to finish. I wasn't too fond of Slim calling the genetically altered war weapons as "goblins" and that's one of the many reasons I couldn't take this book seriously. DK sometimes gets carried away with his descriptions, but this time he took it too far. It took him far, far too long to get to the point and I lost interest several times. ...more
Shawnee Bowlin
Jun 25, 2010 Shawnee Bowlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy the book and normally give Koontz a 5 star, but I found the detail in the story a bit tedious. I skipped over a lot of it to just get on with the story. It was a great story, though, and I liked the characters especially because they were carnival characters and gave me a glimpse into life from a carnie point of view. Interesting.
I thought it was fun to read about the gift the main character possessed and often have wished I could see through people to tell if they have hidden evil.
Christine
This one started out well but I thought that it got too bogged down with descriptions about half way through. I wanted more action and less about the surroundings. Made for a slow read. If you are going to make a career out of hunting and killing goblins, you really need to move a little quicker. The good news is the characters were interesting and likable. I got a good sense of who they were and what their motivations were, especially Slim, a very wise 17 year old who took his special gift seri ...more
Anne
Aug 28, 2009 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is perhaps the best of Dean Koontz' books I have read. In fact I have read it more than once. it is a scary, suspensful novel that you just can't seem to put down. I wish he would write a sequel.
Warninquite graphic violence which I usually don't like, but this book had me on the edge of my seat the whole time I read it, and again 10 years lated when I read it again. A must if you like to huddle under the covers and read a real scary book.
Mike (the Paladin)
One of Koontz's earlier efforts that I enjoyed. I've read discussions of "the old Koontz vs. the new Koontz". Well, okay. I like a lot of the "Newer" Koontz books (excluding the last 3 of which I've said as much here.) but his earlier seemed to me to run very much "hot and cold". But the ones I enjoyed I enjoyed quite a bit. This is one of them. Not only did I enjoy it. As it ended in a sort "unfinished manner", I' wish he'd done a sequel.
Jocelyn
Oct 27, 2008 Jocelyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Too ridiculous to finish!
Dimitris Tso
Jan 01, 2014 Dimitris Tso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Hope is not foolish. Hope is the dream of a waking man".
Samantha
I always enjoy going back in time and reading Koontz novels that I missed. I enjoyed this one, as I enjoy most, but I must say it was a little long in the tooth. Also, don't trust goblins. Just don't.
Jo Bennie
Jul 11, 2011 Jo Bennie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k
This is not one of Koontz's best books, there are jarring cliches and technical failings throughout but that doesn't matter. Twilight Eyes is a nostalgic book, set in 1964, the year of Kennedy's death, and has a haunting melancholy for a lost time of certainties, a world beginning to fracture with the Bay of Pigs. Carl Stanfeuss is a 17 year old boy on the run, going by the name of Slim MacKenzie because he killed his Uncle Denton with an axe, believing he could see through his Uncle's skin and ...more
Rachelle
Nov 06, 2014 Rachelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was about twice as long as it needed to be. One of his more rambling, spiritual ones. The concept was okay once or twice, but gets old pretty quickly after that.

Some highlights from my reading thoughts/experience:

1.) This book contains a typical cookie-cutter Dean Koontz character. Mr. Good Guy, who does everything with noble intentions. And when he does do something that would seem on the surface to be less than honorable or kind, he makes sure to regale us with a hefty description a
Michael McFarland
Actually, two and a half stars. The book has a few good suspense sequences that keep it from getting 2 stars (or less) but the midsection, where Koontz explains his goblins, is so awkward and implausible that I just about gave up on the book. This is my second time through Twilight Eyes and I'm having trouble understanding why I ever thought so highly of it the first time.

There are some missed opportunities as far as villains here (one being the evil goblin police chief Kelsko - who Koontz dispo
Cindy McDonald
This was my first Dean Koontz book. The characters in this work are interesting as they are mostly circus freaks, those that the rest of the world stare at, point at, and wince at. His lead character, Slim MacKenzie, has been born with what his grandmother dubs "twilight eyes"- psychic abilities enabling him to see the worst freaks of all: the goblins. Okay, not very believable, but his is fiction, right? The goblins, masked in human form but are really pig-faced horrific beasts underneath, feed ...more
Tim
May 20, 2010 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again an earlier Koontz, this one has a lot of the fun stuff Koontz has, such as clairvoyance (a different type of clairvoyance,; our hero sees both the "social" and the more gruesome aspects of...well, I'll let you read the part about the Goblins (again from some long-ago experiment gone bad; think of "Phantoms"), , a sort of sideways love story,a smattering of gore, suspense and, best of all in this work, the world of carnies and its patching together of misfits of all sorts (ALL sorts!) who a ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz 4 21 Jun 08, 2015 01:42AM
Koontzland - Dean...: Twilight Eyes (Group Read - September 2011) 71 98 Feb 02, 2014 07:54AM
Precursor to Odd Thomas? 4 42 Mar 15, 2013 09:29AM
  • Invasion
  • Punish the Sinners
  • Predators

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

“Oh, we all are, my young friend! We all deceive. Some of us deceive the whole world, every single fellow creature we meet. Some of us deceive only selected people, wives and lovers, or mothers and fathers. And some of us deceive only ourselves. But none of us is totally honest with everyone all the time, in all matters. Hell, the need to deceive is just one more curse that our sorry species has to bear.” 4 likes
“Hope is a constant companion in this life. It is the one thing that neither cruel nature, God, nor other men can wrench from us. Health, wealth, beloved brothers and sisters, children, friends, the past, the future - all can be stolen from us as easily as an unguarded purse. But our greatest treasure, hope, remains. It is a sturdy little motor within, purring, ticking, driving us on when reason would suggest surrender. It is both the most pathetic and noblest thing about us, the most absurd and the most admirable quality we possess, for as long as we have hope, we also have the capacity for love, for caring, for decency.” 2 likes