Start by marking “Sebastian (Ephemera, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sebastian (Ephemera, #1)

Sebastian (Ephemera #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  6,358 ratings  ·  284 reviews
A world of shifting lands connected only by bridges, Ephemera has been kept stable by the magic of the Landscapers. In one land where night reigns and demons dwell, the half-incubus Sebastian revels in dark delights. But then in dreams she calls to him: a woman who wants only to be safe and loved-a woman he hungers for while knowing he may destroy her.

But a more devastatin...more
Published March 6th 2007 by Roc (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sebastian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sebastian

The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingA Storm of Swords by George R.R. MartinHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century
355th out of 1,341 books — 4,817 voters
Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderGraceling by Kristin CashoreLord of the Fading Lands by C.L. WilsonCaller of Light by T.J. ShawThe Golden Dynasty by Kristen Ashley
Epic Fantasy Romance
103rd out of 212 books — 255 voters

More lists with this book...

Wealhtheow
Feb 29, 2008 Wealhtheow rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one!
This was really terrible. Anne Bishop is known for writing id-fulfillment in fantasy novels, complete with as many abused Mary Sues as possible. I expected lots of fluffy titilation with very little substance (no real plot or cohesive world building, I mean), but I was annoyed at how boring and dull the would-be-titilation was. Sebastion is an incubus living in a world created specifically to cater to "dark desires", and yet all he does is have bland sex with women. No kinks, no gender-play, cer...more
Nicole
Nov 25, 2008 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who liked the Dark Jewels books
The thing about this book is, several of the characters are (more or less) characters that existed in the Jewels books, but brought into a new story. It's like...if I were a fanfic writer, and really loved the characters in the Jewels books, but wanted to see them in a different setting, this is what I'd write.

Well, I love the characters in the Jewels stories, so spending time with them again is a lot of fun.

Did you like Daemon? Well, you'll love Sebastian!

Felt like Jaenelle was a little too eve...more
Livvy
There is a tale to accompany this story because I don’t think believe I’d have ever picked it up willingly if I’d have seen it. One day I may have read it, but I couldn’t say definitively that I would. Anyway… the story. I was wandering around my library browsing for books to see if they had anything interesting in, then my librarian came up to me and asked if I read paranormal-romance. I nodded, and she scurried off and brought back this book. She shoved it into my hand and told me it was one o...more
Liliana Pinto
Há muito tempo que eu queria ler esta saga de Anne Bishop. Conheci o Mundo Efémera quando li o conto "A Voz". Gostei desse pequeno conto, mas não me tinha apercebido do quanto ia adorar o primeiro livro desta saga.
Sabem o que é ficar obcecada por alguma coisa e não conseguirem fazer mais nada, nem pensar em mais nada? Pois. Eu senti-me assim relativamente a este livro.

Completamente viciante.

Anne Bishop cria um mundo completamente diferente de tudo aquilo o que já li. No início foi complicado per...more
Donna
I loved Anne Bishop's Black Jewels series and was looking forward to reading more of her work. I was certainly not disappointed with this first book of the Ephemera duology.

I loved so many things about this book, my favorite being the world of Ephemera. Anne Bishop has done such an amazing job of bringing to life the magic of the world itself, Ephemera is created by the feelings and beliefs of the residents, and crossing a bridge will take you to the landscape that reflects the person you truly...more
Pamela
A friend lent me her copies of Sebastian and Belladonna after we had trawled a bookstore looking for good fantasy. I’d tried to read the first book in Anne Bishop’s Black Jewels series several years ago and couldn’t get into it, so I was a little wary of the Ephemera books. She agreed that Black Jewels wasn’t her cup of tea, either, but she said that she loved the Ephemera series, so I decided to give it a try.

I have to confess, I did some serious procrastination on school stuff so I could finis...more
VMom
Jul 10, 2007 VMom rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romantics
Shelves: fantasy
This was a sweet read. I like the concept of Ephemera, which is reminiscent of C.S. Friedman's Coldfire (one of my favorite fantasies). It's not very scary or dark for a gothic fantasy -- pretty much a straight romance. But the world is intriguing. The Eater of the World is promisingly menacing.

One of my quibbles -- most of the characters get familiar names, western-sounding names -- Sebastian, Lee, Glorianna. Except the bad guy -- Koltak. Heck, even Koltak's brother is named Peter. I guess his...more
N
I hate to criticize Anne Bishop since the Black Jewels trilogy is among my favorite books of all time, but... I just don't like anything she's done outside the BJT universe. I didn't like the Tir Alainn trilogy particularly, but Sebastian was just bad. :(

Much like the Tir Alainn trilogy, the world and magic she's created is awesome.

Everything else isn't, though.

I read maybe 4/5ths of Sebastian before I took a break and never picked it back up. I had two main problems with the book.

First, which...more
Chelsea
Sebastian is set in the world of Ephemera, which is really a bunch of little self contained worlds that are connected by (for lack of a better term) magical bridges. The worlds are called landscapes, and they are subject to alteration based on the emotions of their residents. Landscapers (as I understand them) are women who can channel the power of human hearts to help shape landscapes. Sebastian is an incubus who lives in a landscape called the Den of Iniquity. The Den was made by a rogue lands...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Ephemera is a world of fractured landscapes linked by stationary or resonating bridges that take you where your heart wants to go more often than where your will intends. It is a world of humans, demons, wizards and Landscapers, a world that listens to the hearts of its creatures all, resonating with those hearts and responding to them. It is a world of Dark and Light and a long history of manipulation, ambition and trouble.

Sebastian is a demon, half incubus and half human. He lives in a landsca...more
KC
Well...I expected this story to be a sexy Paranormal Romance.

It's not.

Instead, I got a Fantasy (with Paranormal elements) that included light threads of romance (and I mean LIGHT). Which left me wondering if this book belongs in a "clean"/sweet/philosophical sort of category. Sure, there are Incubi, demons, and "Phallic Delights" there. But as I read more and more, I couldn't help but feel that it was all a tool for teaching the reader about the nature of the heart and its resonance.

Lots of go...more
Shari-amor
Like a 3.8 because it started out just ok to me and there was so much information to process. Once it got going, I could appreciate and love the world building. The story was fantastic and inventive. I've never read anything like it. Anne Bishop is quickly becoming a favourite author. I cannot wait to read the other books in this series and her other work.
Ann Gimpel
This book has gotten its share of spotty reviews, but I loved it. Anne Bishop's strength is in her world building and this book didn't disappoint. Ephemera is one of the most complex UF worlds I've come across and Bishop handled it with great consistency. I had no trouble visualizing the shifting landscapes and the different types of bridges between them. I also appreciated Ephemera's link to people's emotional state.

Sebastian is a great character. Part incubus, part wizard, he comes into his ow...more
Chasidy
Considering this was the very first book I've read by Anne Bishop, I found this book to be very complex and brought new meaning to the hearts true desires. The war between light and dark forces in this world set a strange balance in my views of good and evil.
Calypso
Bem este foi um dos livros mais difíceis de classificar deste ano e que me dividiu por tantas vezes ao longo da sua leitura que lhes perdi a conta.

Cheryl Archbold
I ended up naming my son after this book :)
Paula
Gostei, gostei muito!

No entanto, não encontrei a intensidade ou a densidade da Triologia das Jóias Negras (talvez porque foram os primeiros que li!). A Triologia é mais impulsiva enquanto que o Sebastian me pareceu mais pensado, mais maduro o que só acrescenta mérito à história e à escrita desta Senhora.

Estão presentes todo os ingredientes a que já me começo a habituar na Bishop: personagens fascinantes, romance, sensualidade e suspense.

O cenário é muito acessível, facilmente entrei nas paisagen...more
Dawn
Ephemera is a world of magical lands connected by bridges that take you to a land your heart desires which may be different that where you intended to go. These worlds are created by landscapers. Belladona has created a world called the Den of Iniquity, it is a place where succubus, incubus and other demons can have a good place to live. In this world lives our hero Sebastian, who is a half incubus and half human. Sebastian is yearning for a woman that he has never seen, a woman who wants to be...more
Thornsmoke
Patricia Rodrigues
Neste livro, temos um mundo diferente das Jóias Negras, com regras e raças diferentes – Mundo Efémera.
No início, senti-me um pouco perdidas com estas paisagens (Mundos) e personagens, mas logo fiquei presa à leitura e não queria parar.
Tudo começa quando o Ente (ou Devorador do Mundo) é acidentalmente solto. Este Ente é uma criatura maléfica, que se aproveita dos medos, fraquezas e receios dos habitantes, tornando-os realidade, com o objectivo de tomar Efémera. A partir daqui, temos uma luta entr...more
Célia
Depois de vários livros centrados no mundo das Jóias Negras (Trilogia, Teias de Sonhos e Anel Oculto), eis que somos confrontados com um novo mundo criado pela imaginativa Anne Bishop. Gosto muito da forma como esta autora cria de raiz mundos tão interessantes e originais: por mais improváveis que sejam as suas características, a forma habilidosa como são construídos e descritos confere-lhes uma enorme sensação de realismo.

Achei a história interessante, mas curiosamente as personagens de que mai...more
Ashley
Sebastian focuses on a fantasy land called Ephemera that was broken up into different "landscapes." One of the landscapes is called the Den of Iniquity, home to incubi, succubi, and other demons. It's also home to Sebastian, a half-incubus who longs for something other than carnal pleasures. Now, a great evil has returned to Ephemera, and Sebastian and his powerful cousin, Glorianna Belladona, are to play a pivotal part in stopping it.

I didn't expect to love this book when I started it, but I'd...more
Rebekah Tower
This book is horrible. I couldn't get past the first page. It reads like a very badly written episode of Buffy the Vampire slayer, with the character openly conversing about being a succubus. It's hard to suspend disbelief. Whoever edited this should be fired, as the author decided (for no reason I could see) to spell the word "coffee" two different ways on the first page. Why is it spelled "koffea" and then "koffee" two sentences later? This seriously turned me off, as well as the author's blat...more
Carolyn F.
This book was really, really strange.
*** spoiler alert ***

The world is made up almost like a quilt with the part Sebastian living in made up of dark scary "myths". He's a male succubus who doesn't seem to actually touch a partner, only through the dreams. There's a "sister" who made this section for him on top of some others and then was considered a criminal. I tried to like this book, but I found it too strange for me who doesn't mind reading about vampire/werewolf hybrids chasing down crimin...more
Tracy Dobbs
I really love Anne Bishop's Black Jewell series of books, but wasn't as enthralled by the Tir Alain series. So, when she started in this third setting, I wasn't sure if I should try it or not. I finally got a deal on both books and boy am I glad. This book is excellent...ok, I am prejudiced toward the Black Jewell series, so I still rank them tops, but this work is very close. Maybe it's just that I like the mix of darkness and light, with the firm idea that "dark" doesn't necessarily mean evil...more
Carol
I read Written in Red (The Others) by this author, and really loved it. So I thought I'd try this one. Immediately, the cover turned me off because I'm not usually interested in sexy covers. They make me think less of the story inside, whether it should or not. On the strength of the "Others" book, however, I was ready to proceed.

The author's ability to create alternate worlds is fantastic. It takes some tolerance at first to adjust to her slight variance on English spelling to indicate a simila...more
Cielol
There is something inherently hilarious about a sex demon as a main character that tells you going into it that this is going to be some shameless shit. Granted, having read her Black Jewels series I didn't need the warning, but it's still nice to know that Anne Bishop is still going full id.

That said? I hate to say it, but Anne Bishop's id is becoming boring. All Sebastian does to prove his devastating sexiness is ride around on demon motorcycles and have an angsty past involving a shitty ambit...more
Sheila
Content warning: the use of the word "rape" (although rarely referring to sexual assault); consent/mind-control issues.

A really great book, with killer worldbuilding, a creepy bad "guy" who reminded me of IT in Wrinkle in Time only fewer allcaps, and a surprisingly sweet romance, given that half the couple was an incubus. Looking forward to Belladonna.
Dragana
I can not determine why I did not like this book. I loved Blood Jewels trilogy and perhaps I have anticipated something similar. But the things I liked there are missing: humor and sparkle of life in characters... I know that there is a second part Belladonna but I am not interested to read it.
Diana Soares
Este foi um livro difícil de começar a ler. As primeiras 100 e tal paginas foram muito lentas e como este mundo é muito diferente custou a entrar no tema.

Mas a partir do meio do livro comecei a gostar bastante do desenrolar da história e por isso é que lhe dou as 3 estrelas.

Nao foi das minhas leituras favoritas, mas gosto imenso do tipo de escrita da Anne,
  • O Dardo de Kushiel (Kushiel, #1)
  • The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)
  • O Guerreiro-Lobo (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #2)
  • The Soul Weaver (The Bridge of D'arnath, #3)
  • A Vingança do Assassino
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of fourteen novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. Her most recent novel,Twilight’s Dawn, made the New York Times bestsellers list. She is currently working on a new series, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librar...more
More about Anne Bishop...
Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1) Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3) Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2) Written in Red (The Others, #1) Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels, #5)

“Let your heart travel lightly. Because what you bring with you becomes part of the landscape.” 48 likes
“Opportunities and choices. When a person makes a heart wish, that wish resonates through the currents and things will happen to give the person an opportunity to make the wish come true. Like a hand offered and accepted.” 22 likes