Start by marking “The Steinbeck Centennial Collection: The Grapes of Wrath/Of Mice and Men/East of Eden/The Pearl/Cannery Row/Travels With Charley in Search of America (Boxed)” as Want to Read:

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  149 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The Steinbeck Centennial Collection: The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, East of Eden, The Pearl, Cannery Row, Travels With Charley In Search of America (Boxed Set) Description: No writer is more quintessentially American than John Steinbeck. Born in 1902 in Salinas, California, Steinbeck attended Stanford University before working at a series of mostly blue-collar jobs ...more
Published February 5th 2002 by Penguin (Non-Classics)

To ask other readers questions about The Steinbeck Centennial Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Steinbeck Centennial Collection

Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Twilight Collection by Stephenie MeyerThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisPercy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set by Rick Riordan
The Best Omnibuses and Box Sets
51st out of 398 books — 1,598 voters
Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Complete Harry Potter Collection Box Set by J.K. RowlingWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Books to Read On a Rainy Day
132nd out of 536 books — 345 voters

More lists with this book...

Joseph
Mar 22, 2009 Joseph rated it it was amazing
Steinbeck has long been recognized as one of America's finest writers and The Grapes of Wrath one of its finest novels.While not technically speaking a political writer, his Grapes of Wrath is a searing indictment of some aspects of Capitalism,(see his moving portrait of Muley Graves as he tries to find who to shoot for moving him off his farm, only to realize the "who" has become so entrenched in the Capitalist System as to be unrecognizable),a fact which has often led people to view him as a S ...more
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it liked it
Grapes Of Wrath:-

It is not easy to read, and I found it easier to see the film and understood better - but therefore all the more I value this work, not because it is difficult but because I could grasp it through the film.

And the film truly was great, especially when it came to the dialogue of mother and son at the end - and Henry Fonda forever marked his place amongst the great with his portrayal and his delivery in the last speech.

It is an entirely worthy, great - in the original sense of
Susan
Apr 21, 2011 Susan marked it as to-read
Grapes of Wrath Review (8/12/12)
Gave 5 stars
The Grapes of Wrath is a poignant novel which follows the story of the Joad family. I loved the symbolism of the story and the deep meanings and themes. The ending is by no means a happy ending, but it ends on a positive and hopeful mood. This is definitely one of my favorite Steinbeck novels. Steinbeck is a genius when it comes to depicting the how the characters actually feel and the hardships that they have to face. Another great American classic by
Lottimerrill
Sep 08, 2008 Lottimerrill rated it it was amazing
John Steinbeck is a master writer/author. I enjoyed all of these books. This was a summer of Steinbeck. Grapes of wrath was my final read. East of Eden my first. East of Eden was my favorite by far. But I really like his style of writing and he really makes you feel like you know the era that he is writing in. Grapes of Wrath was sooo sad and amazing. It is hard to believe that people can live like that. We are so blessed to live right now.
Kristen
Dec 19, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing
This was an AP English read in high school and I loved it. I kept it at the top of my list for years and as I got older, I wanted to reread to see if I still loved it as much. I loved it even more on the reread and found so many parallels between the Dust Bowl and inequities that still exist today. The in-between chapters of commentary are phenomenal.
Linda
May 24, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
I first read John Steinbeck back in 7th grade, Of Mice and Men, The Pearl, and Travels With Charley. I have have this wonderful Steinbeck collection that I reread every now and again. My favorite is Tortilla Flat and last winter when I again read East of Eden I found it to be very dark and disturbing.
Kelly
Feb 23, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Dang. I like Steinbeck. Gotta love his endings. You know they are coming if you know anything about foreshadowing, but they still get you. Who will ever forget either scenes in the barn in Grapes and Of Mice? I think Steinbeck had a barn thing.
Kristi
Sep 03, 2008 Kristi rated it liked it
I read this epic novel in high school and remember being a little overwhelmed by the story and Stenbeck's writing style. I would like to re-read this one, though it will be a while before I'm ready to takle the 464 pages again!
K.M. Zahrt
Jun 26, 2010 K.M. Zahrt rated it really liked it
Excellent collection. I would also add Once There Was a War and America and Americans to the list of Steinbeck books worth reading.
erin duncan
Aug 05, 2008 erin duncan marked it as to-read
I love browsing the small bookstores best, but box sets like this are why I love Amazon.
Laine
Jun 11, 2012 Laine rated it it was amazing
Have read them all - looooove Steinbeck. Most recently was of Mice and Men - wow.
Frederick
Apr 10, 2009 Frederick rated it it was amazing
I love this man. He is by far my favorite author. To me he can not go wrong.
Miranda Valenz
May 24, 2012 Miranda Valenz rated it it was amazing
I love John Steinbeck, and think all of his work is awesome.
Bill Galen
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1963)
Andrew
Aug 24, 2009 Andrew added it
read all of them except the pearl loved every page
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Kathleen A Landon
Kathleen A Landon rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Carey Arkwright
Carey Arkwright marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Angela Beske
Angela Beske rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Esti
Esti marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Kevin Lentini
Kevin Lentini rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Subi Simmons
Subi Simmons marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Maya Martin
Maya Martin marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Selected Short Stories
  • The Great Wall of China and Other Stories
  • Norton Anthology of Western Music, Volume 1: Ancient to Baroque
  • The Canterbury Tales: Nine Tales and the General Prologue: Authoritative Text, Sources and Backgrounds, Criticism
  • 19th Century Art
  • The Wisdom of Kahlil Gibran
  • The Love Poems of John Keats: In Praise of Beauty
  • Why Our Drug Laws Have Failed: A Judicial Indictment Of War On Drugs
  • An Adultery
  • Circle of Love (Orphan Train Adventures, #7)
  • Color Drawing: Design Drawing Skills and Techniques for Architects, Landscape Architects, and Interior Designers
  • The Art of the Tale: An International Anthology of Short Stories, 1945-1985
  • Love, Sex & Tragedy: How the Ancient World Shapes Our Lives
John Steinbeck III was an American writer. He wrote the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Grapes of Wrath, published in 1939 and the novella Of Mice and Men, published in 1937. In all, he wrote twenty-five books, including sixteen novels, six non-fiction books and several collections of short stories.

In 1962 Steinbeck received the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Steinbeck grew up in the Salinas Valley
More about John Steinbeck...