Start by marking “The Steinbeck Centennial Collection: The Grapes of Wrath/Of Mice and Men/East of Eden/The Pearl/Cannery Row/Travels With Charley in Search of America (Boxed)” as Want to Read:

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The Steinbeck Centennial Collection: The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, East of Eden, The Pearl, Cannery Row, Travels With Charley In Search of America (Boxed Set) Description: No writer is more quintessentially American than John Steinbeck. Born in 1902 in Salinas, California, Steinbeck attended Stanford University before working at a series of mostly blue-collar jobs ...more
Published February 5th 2002 by Penguin (Non-Classics)

To ask other readers questions about The Steinbeck Centennial Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Steinbeck Centennial Collection

Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Twilight Collection by Stephenie MeyerThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisPercy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set by Rick Riordan
The Best Omnibuses and Box Sets
48th out of 406 books — 1,524 voters
Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Complete Harry Potter Collection Box Set by J.K. RowlingWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëSam Certainly Can by Bridgitte LesleyTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Books to Read On a Rainy Day
120th out of 499 books — 275 voters

More lists with this book...

Joseph
Steinbeck has long been recognized as one of America's finest writers and The Grapes of Wrath one of its finest novels.While not technically speaking a political writer, his Grapes of Wrath is a searing indictment of some aspects of Capitalism,(see his moving portrait of Muley Graves as he tries to find who to shoot for moving him off his farm, only to realize the "who" has become so entrenched in the Capitalist System as to be unrecognizable),a fact which has often led people to view him as a S ...more
Susan
Apr 21, 2011 Susan marked it as to-read
Grapes of Wrath Review (8/12/12)
Gave 5 stars
The Grapes of Wrath is a poignant novel which follows the story of the Joad family. I loved the symbolism of the story and the deep meanings and themes. The ending is by no means a happy ending, but it ends on a positive and hopeful mood. This is definitely one of my favorite Steinbeck novels. Steinbeck is a genius when it comes to depicting the how the characters actually feel and the hardships that they have to face. Another great American classic by
Lottimerrill
John Steinbeck is a master writer/author. I enjoyed all of these books. This was a summer of Steinbeck. Grapes of wrath was my final read. East of Eden my first. East of Eden was my favorite by far. But I really like his style of writing and he really makes you feel like you know the era that he is writing in. Grapes of Wrath was sooo sad and amazing. It is hard to believe that people can live like that. We are so blessed to live right now.
Kristen
This was an AP English read in high school and I loved it. I kept it at the top of my list for years and as I got older, I wanted to reread to see if I still loved it as much. I loved it even more on the reread and found so many parallels between the Dust Bowl and inequities that still exist today. The in-between chapters of commentary are phenomenal.
Linda
I first read John Steinbeck back in 7th grade, Of Mice and Men, The Pearl, and Travels With Charley. I have have this wonderful Steinbeck collection that I reread every now and again. My favorite is Tortilla Flat and last winter when I again read East of Eden I found it to be very dark and disturbing.
Kelly
Dang. I like Steinbeck. Gotta love his endings. You know they are coming if you know anything about foreshadowing, but they still get you. Who will ever forget either scenes in the barn in Grapes and Of Mice? I think Steinbeck had a barn thing.
Kristi
I read this epic novel in high school and remember being a little overwhelmed by the story and Stenbeck's writing style. I would like to re-read this one, though it will be a while before I'm ready to takle the 464 pages again!
K.M. Zahrt
Excellent collection. I would also add Once There Was a War and America and Americans to the list of Steinbeck books worth reading.
erin duncan
Aug 05, 2008 erin duncan marked it as to-read
I love browsing the small bookstores best, but box sets like this are why I love Amazon.
Laine
Have read them all - looooove Steinbeck. Most recently was of Mice and Men - wow.
Frederick
I love this man. He is by far my favorite author. To me he can not go wrong.
Miranda Valenz
I love John Steinbeck, and think all of his work is awesome.
Bill Galen
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (1963)
Andrew
Aug 24, 2009 Andrew added it
read all of them except the pearl loved every page
Gracie Jaramillo-farris
Gracie Jaramillo-farris marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Jun
Jun marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Ssmg5
Ssmg5 marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Cleo Kirkham
Cleo Kirkham is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2014
Ilteriş Mutlu
Ilteriş Mutlu marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
A
A marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Selected Short Stories (Penguin Modern Classics)
  • The Canterbury Tales: Nine Tales and the General Prologue: Authoritative Text, Sources and Backgrounds, Criticism
  • Parables and Paradoxes
  • A History of Christian Missions (The Penguin History of the Church, #6)
  • Kabul
  • Follow Me Down: A Novel
  • A History of Western Art
  • Color Drawing: Design Drawing Skills and Techniques for Architects, Landscape Architects, and Interior Designers
  • The Book of Revelation
  • The Story of a Bad Boy
  • Harvard Classics: The Complete Fiction
  • Stephen Hawking's a Brief History of Time: A Reader's Companion
  • France
  • Remaking the World: Adventures in Engineering
  • What's So Amazing About Grace / Where is God When It Hurts (Two Books In One)
  • Spirit Controlled Woman
  • God in the Dark
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training
John Steinbeck III was an American writer. He wrote the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Grapes of Wrath, published in 1939 and the novella Of Mice and Men, published in 1937. In all, he wrote twenty-five books, including sixteen novels, six non-fiction books and several collections of short stories.

In 1962 Steinbeck received the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Steinbeck grew up in the Salinas Valley
More about John Steinbeck...
Of Mice and Men The Grapes of Wrath East of Eden The Pearl Cannery Row