Start by marking “The HarperCollins Study Bible : New Revised Standard Version With the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books” as Want to Read:

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In the tradition of excellence created by the SBL comes a study Bible for the 21st century. A revolutionary, in-depth, general reader reference Bible, The HarperCollins Study Bible offers the full text of the New Revised Standard Version, coupled with state-of-the-art notes by 60 leading experts on books of the Bible. Reflecting a diversity of scholarship without a religio ...more
Published August 27th 1997 by HarperSanFrancisco

To ask other readers questions about The HarperCollins Study Bible , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The HarperCollins Study Bible

Hilary
I had never read the Bible before, and this was a great intro to reading such a historically referenced tome. This version has tons of footnotes that clarify the customs of the ancient world, the Jewish world, and details about historical facts within the Bible. The translation was very clear, and this copy provided all the alternate translations that the Bible could be read with, as well as scholars' interpretations of the stories and their meaning. The only drawbacks to this book were that A) ...more
T Crockett
It feels odd to write a review of the Bible, but this is the most helpful version of the Bible I've ever used. It was recommended to me by my priest when I admitted I really all that familiar with the Bible aside from the stories I remembered from Sunday school. This is just what I needed. Each book begins with historical information about who is believed to have written it, any scholarly disagreements and the general historical context. The bottom of each page is rich with supplemental informat ...more
Sam
Feb 26, 2012 Sam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sam by: school
Shelves: religion, nonfiction
This is an excellent reference bible. Although I prefer an edition with Hebrew in order to delve into the real meaning of the words, I love to reference this book when I need to quickly glance at something or to get a little bit of an idea about a passage in the bible. This is not for the advanced bible scholar but for those who are just starting out or don't want to delve too far into the bible, this is the perfect starting point.
Linda
Mar 08, 2008 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lauren
There are some good stories in here.
I have not read them all (too many!) but I have picked this book up time and again for various reasons and there is some captivating stuff in there! Check it out.
FYI, the NRSV is the academically accepted version of the Bible and it's written in a very readable fashion.
Caterina
This seems to be a very good edition of the Bible both from a scholarly perspective and for the language itself. Of the dozen or so translations we have at the house, this is the one I prefer to read from. The only trouble is the binding - it's paperback and my copy has fallen apart into many pieces.
Joan DeArtemis
I love this version of the Bible. I love the footnotes and the commentaries, and the fact that all of books are in here. While I am in seminary, I spend a lot of time in this book, and I just really appreciate this one.
Frank
I've bought a few bibles in my lifetime, but this is the best I've read so far. It is certainly the best annotated, with a great many informative (non-"partisan") explanatory notes.
Zachary Scott
Great edition. Gives the sense that you are actually understanding the text as intended. In regards to the actual content, it's mostly self-indulgent drivel.
Nazrana
Sep 14, 2007 Nazrana is currently reading it
I'm taking a class this semester called "The New Testament As Literature." Most of my days are now spent reading this beast.
John Wiles
Exciting and essential reading for my ongoing reference and study.
Highly recommended
Charles
This edition was mandatory for all religion students at Hampden-Sydney students.
Zoe
Zoe added it
Jul 27, 2015
Jhop
Jhop added it
Jun 21, 2015
K. Lallawmzuala
K. Lallawmzuala marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Daniil Erofeevskiy
Daniil Erofeevskiy marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Alivia Henderson
Alivia Henderson marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Tina
Tina added it
Feb 07, 2015
Dewey Freeman
Dewey Freeman marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Manjot Sidhu
Manjot Sidhu marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Brent Williams
Brent Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Heather  Rosenfeld
Heather Rosenfeld marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The First Urban Christians: The Social World of the Apostle Paul The Origins of Christian Morality: The First Two Centuries Writings of St. Paul (Norton Critical Edition) The Moral World of the First Christians Christ Is the Question