The Vampire's Promise (The Vampire's Promise, #1-3)

The Vampire's Promise (Vampire's Promise #1-3)

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  531 ratings  ·  50 reviews
This collection of all three books in the trilogy called The Vampire's Promise should not be confused with Fatal Bargain, the third book of the series, which was originally titled The Vampire's Promise.
Published January 1st 1949 by Scholastic Inc

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyView Points and Points of View by Clive BlakeCutting for Stone by Abraham VergheseLet the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
Beautiful Books for Summer 2009
69th out of 84 books — 78 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingWhispers by Lauren LynneThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsVisions by Lauren LynneThe Mortal Instruments Boxed Set by Cassandra Clare
Your Favorite Book Series
194th out of 243 books — 47 voters

More lists with this book...

Donna
That blurb is a bit of a misnomer because Lacey doesn't fit into that. Her situation's entirely different and is actually the polar opposite of the other two girls. But I'll get back to that in a moment.

Normally I review these compilation books separately because they are separate books but it just would have been redundant, even for a series so a 3 books in 1 review is what you're going to get.

The first two, Deadly Offer and Evil Returns are pretty much the same story, just with different names...more
Bmquiram
I would have to summarize this book by saying I was disappointed. The first two short stories had a very shallow, one dimensional main character. The story line was alright, but could have been developed more and been more than just an ok story. The ending did not seem well thought out. It almost seemed like the author got to a certain page number and just decided it is time to end this story now. The third short story was better, but still left me a little disappointed. The characters where not...more
manda-rae
This book was full of one-dimensional characters that were very superficial. The vampire didn't really behave like a real vampire. I would say it had better similarities to the serpent from the Garden of Eden (okay, so some vampires can be described that way). But the vampire entices girls with the promise of popularity or beauty. They just have to give someone else to the vampire in order to have it. But the real problem I had with the characters? They gave a sense that life wasn't worth living...more
Becca
Definatly better than most of the other vampire books they have floating around now.
Natalie
I did not like. It was too boring.
Khaytie Shaw
Do not care for it very much
Racheal
Really? They published this?
Tracey
Apr 03, 2009 Tracey added it
HORRIBLE, Skip it
Emily
Tonya
I have to admit right off the bat, this automatically gets at least three stars for nostalgia alone. I read these stores when I was 12-14, back when they were The Cheerleader, The Return of the Vampire, and The Vampire’s Promise. However, I admit, it was the final one that stuck with me through the years.

The Cheerleader / Deadly Offer was the one I could least relate to. Though I understood (to a degree) how alone Althea felt, I was never one who yearned to be with the popular people. In fact, I...more
Sarah Angoluan
I got this book after my classmate gave it to me as a Christmas present last 2011.

I was kinda excited when i started to read it, but as i finished the first book and started the second book. (As the hard copy is compiled with three books), i started to loose interest in it.

What i really hate this book is because it doesn't have the twist, the story was so light that it doesn't have any heavy, dark components in it. Probably in the middle of the second book or the third book the story will be goo...more
Brianna
A trip down to memory lane. I read "The Vampire's Promise" series as a kid or a pre-teen. Either way, I was very young and it was the start of delving into literature on my own. Therefore this review is mainly written from memory at the time of a kid. It probably was one of my first reads on vampire stories aside from the classics. From memory, I enjoyed it very much and even being spooked a little on this particular vampire. Also, I recalled it was a group of teenagers, in particular with girls...more
Angela
Fairly disappointing, the story is cliché as suggested by the summary. I agree that the characters were very one-dimensional, all of them seemed to act without thinking, making for some annoying characters. The writing style was not good either. The atmosphere of the book was somewhat like the strange feeling of a ghost town, detached and a little creepy. Definitely would not recommend buying as I only made it through the first book.
Yasmine
This book had me thinking.......
Would I do this for Popularity
Would I do this for Beauty
Would I do this for Freedom(I would Definitely do that for freedom)

What I personally love about vampire book's is that every author has their own twist to the vampire legend.
And this one just so happens to be that this vampire can grant wishes.........but at a price.

Through out the book you'll get to know three girls
Althea who wants popularity
Devnee who wants beauty
Lacey who wants her freedom (My personal fa...more
Lyly
Jul 08, 2012 Lyly added it
Shelves: advisory-2013
Heather Taylor
This is a 3 book in one deal. The first story is about a girl who makes a deal with a vampire to become popular. To do this she must let him ruin her friends. It was a good story and kept me entertained. It was clean for middle school and above. I didn't read the other two books. The second one seemed about the same. A girl makes a deal years later with the same vampire to become beautiful and smart. I felt it would have been the same story. The third story I skimmed. A group of kids are in the...more
Savannah (Books With Bite)
I really enjoyed the plot of the book. The first two books were the same. Each girl desired or rather coveted something from another girl. The Vampire would steal that from that passing it to the girl who desired it. In the end, the girls soon realize its not all that they wanted so they beat the vampire by finding themselves and returning it.

The third book for me was the best. There were more characters involved in beating the vampire. I knew as they worked as a team, they could do anything.
Heejin
What an mysterious, horrifying book I've read. These girls in the book, are low in self-esteem, wanting to be pretty and popular. A few people know this vampire exists, in this old, creepy tower. The vampire promises and grants a wish to a ordinary girl who lives in this house, up in the tower, but how many lives will they destroy and exchange their life from another popular and pretty girl??? But it's not only one ordinary girl, there's 3 of them, who must face the cruel and menacing vampire.
Melisa
The first two books were ok, i guess. The stories in my opinion are just about girls who want what they wanted without given thought of the consequences. or who got hurt in the process. The third and last story was better than the first two, but it felt half finished. The author could have thought it out more completely. I like the last one best. Overall, it was more like a once read. No suspence.
123nosayaba

I hated this book. Which is usually strange for me but I hated it, hated it, hated it. The way it was written irked me and the situations were petty and filled with greed. This book affected me rather weirdly though. The whole week I read that book I felt sluggish, tired, slow, and just felt unable to use effort just like some of the characters in this book. I can't even rate this book.
Linda
This book wasn't what I had expected,, mostly about teenage girls, who aren't that popular or that smart in school and just want some attention from her piers which she isn't getting so she start day dreaming and make all these wishes to become popular,gorgeous, that's when this vampire who lives in her attic becomes alive In trade for a meal he gives the girl what she wants. Popularity.
Christy Sophia Tom
This is one of my favorite books of all time. This book has three parts, and each of the parts have different characters. The book is mainly about a vampire that feeds on the main-character's friends and people around her, so she could enjoy popularity. The theme about this book is that if you want something, such as popularity or a good grade, you will have to earn it yourself.
Erica Ramsey
The Vampire's Promise: The first 2 parts of this book didn't really reach out to me much. They were repetitive with nothing exceptional to captivate me. The characters were selfish, greedy lil brats. The last part I did enjoy a bit more. It was mainly the vamps I liked. They weren't your typical vampires you find in almost every book or tv show. Over all, only 2 stars.
Jennifer Worry
I have to be honest that I really didn't enjoy this book. A lot of the charachters in this book are ditzy and airheaded ( authors words, not mine). This entire book is filled with teenagers whining. Whining about what they don't have, and what they want. Normally I love a vampire book, but the vampire was a joke in these stories. It was just a bad read.
Ayana
DEFINITELY not the best book ever. i couldn't even finish the dang thing! The characters (particularly Althea) are shallow and uninteresting and the writing is tedious and childish. I only have one question. Who the heck describes a vampire as having skin that looks like mushrooms, for cryin' out loud? I mean, seriously? MUSHROOMS?!!!!!!!!!
Nicole
I picked up this book hoping for an intense read but found it to be quite boring. The writing was good but the story was not.I thought the characters were flat and not interesting enough to hold my attention. It did not have a lot to keep me wanting to read more. I could not even get through the first book.
Courtney Torres
Completely awesome! I love the contradictions with the way she wrote the Vampire's character...he's creepy and slimy, but you're still pulled to him.
I love the concept of his feeding process...he's like a twisted genie!

All three stories progress and flow really well. Totally recommend this! :D
Bridget
I thought the book was very dry and there was no climax to any of the stories. I found myself getting bored.
Jaz
It is very good read, although the vampire doesn't act like most vampires normally act. Giving girls beauty, popularity etc. by sacraficing other girls they know is a very different way of portraying a vampire.
Very interesting and I enjoyed reading it.
Angie Vandeneynden
This was a horrible book. I had a hard time understanding and the vampire character really didn't act like a vampire. I didn't understand. What he did to the other characters. Not a very good read at all
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. YA Vampire Trilogy from '90s [s] 4 25 Apr 23, 2014 04:01PM
  • Bitten (Dangerous Girls, #1-2)
  • Dream Date
  • The Secret of Ka
  • The Last Warrior
  • Witch Ball (The Seer, #3)
  • The Train
  • Sensual Phrase, Vol. 16
  • Daughters of the Moon, Volume 2 (Daughters of the Moon, #4-6)
  • Jane Vows Vengeance (Jane Fairfax, #3)
  • Kiss It
  • Wishful Thinking (Wish, #2)
  • The Angel Chronicles, Vol. 2  (The Angel Chronicles, #2)
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem...more
More about Caroline B. Cooney...
The Face on the Milk Carton (Janie Johnson, #1) Whatever Happened to Janie? (Janie Johnson, #2) The Voice on the Radio (Janie Johnson, #3) What Janie Found (Janie Johnson, #4) Code Orange