Start by marking “Chop, Chop (Chop, Chop, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chop, Chop (Chop, Chop, #1)

Chop, Chop (Chop, Chop #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  2,544 Ratings  ·  340 Reviews
Ever since Laci was a little girl she's been growing out her pretty, brown hair and chopping it off to send to Locks of Love. When Greg moves into town and finds out what she's doing, he thinks it's a great idea...so he starts doing it too! It's just one of the things that reserved, young David must tolerate as their friendship grows throughout the years. As they near adul ...more
Published 2008 by Rivulet Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Chop, Chop, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
L.N. Cronk Sorry I did not see this question before now!! The story takes place in a nonexistent state in the Midwest. None of the states around where I really…moreSorry I did not see this question before now!! The story takes place in a nonexistent state in the Midwest. None of the states around where I really envision the book taking place use the death penalty. In my mind he was electrocuted. Interestingly enough, after I wrote the book I did some further research on the death penalty, and one article suggested that the word used most by those who are being executed is the word, "Peace."(less)

Ann A.
Jan 18, 2013 Ann A. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Ann by: Sarah
Shelves: favorites
OH. MY. GOSH. I just—I can’t—I don’t know where to start. Literally. If I was talking to you, I would be stammering and mumbling and re-starting sentences. How do I explain this book?

First, let me start with the basics. Focus my brain on one thing…

Did I like the book?

OH YEAH.

Would I recommend it?

OH YEAH. To, like, every random person I see on the street.

Good. Now that we’ve got that straight, lemme get this off my mind, into my fingertips, and onto the page.

If there was a six stars on Goodread
Linda
Feb 29, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a GREAT book! It's rare to find one that isn't the same old, worn out storyline. It is a Christian book, but not overly preachy. It all blends very nicely.

At L.N.'s site I read that these books are intended for young adult/teens, but I LOVED them and gobbled them up as soon as I could buy them. I got the first book for free through Amazon, but it's worth paying for. I have never bought a sequel to any of the books I've read. I've always just waited until the sequel came out for free.
CatherineMorland
I loved this book. The story follows the lives of 3 friends, Laci, Greg, and David. This book has a lot of humor, but also a bittersweet ending. If you're the type to cry while reading books, you might need a tissue for this one!

I would call this a teen book, although I think you could enjoy reading it at any age (though if you are a parent of a younger child, I would suggest reading it through first and then deciding if your child is mature enough to handle the ending. It could be upsetting for
Lisa
I got this book as a Kindle freebie quite awhile ago. It had received rave reviews and I was intrigued because it didn't sound like much of a story and the cover didn't exactly draw my eye. I wasn't sure what to expect, since all I really knew about it was that it is a Christian book with a character who likes to donate her hair to Locks of Love (hence the title Chop, Chop). It ended up being a surprisingly good story that follows a trio of friends from grade school through college. It was very ...more
Sharon
Jan 15, 2017 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From Goodreads: "Ever since David's friend Laci was a little girl she's been growing out her pretty, brown hair and chopping it off to send to Locks of Love. When Greg moves into town and finds out what she's doing, he thinks it's a great idea...so he starts doing it too! It's just one of the things that reserved, young David must tolerate as their friendship grows throughout the years. As they near adulthood, they grow not only closer to each other, but closer to God as well. David finds himsel ...more
Jerry
Feb 11, 2013 Jerry rated it did not like it
Story: 3/5

The story is a good one; kids growing up together in a small town, discovering God, the opposite gender, and heartbreak, both romantic and otherwise.  Though it's nothing really original, it still works.

Writing: 0.5/5

Oh, my goodness; where do I start? First off, the book moves too fast; in less than 200 "pages"--of large print and with plenty of blank space, mind you--we're taken through the characters' childhoods, teenage years, and the beginning of their adult life.  It felt like I w
Katwanya
Jun 20, 2012 Katwanya rated it really liked it
This book was such a realistic look at the pre-teen/teenage years of the lives of young boys who have good friends and great families that surround them. I immediately liked all the characters, especially David and Greg. David was truly a grumpy kid but in a hilarious way and it was funny that he was so easy for his friends to tease. Greg was smart, witty, and knew himself well (he was so free spirited). It had a lot to do with the fact that Greg's father, Mr. White, was such a loving, caring an ...more
Trish
Apr 17, 2012 Trish rated it it was amazing
This book was so amazing! I got it for free on my Nook, and wasn't sure how I'd like it based on the picture on the cover (was it about a barber?) But I am sooooo glad I didn't judge the book by its cover, because it was one of the best books ever! It is a super great story, with powerful characters who draw you right in! When I got done, I was elated to find out there were sequels, and I immediately bought them all! None of the books let me down, and I seriously sobbed through the last book "Go ...more
Jill Williamson
Jun 18, 2010 Jill Williamson rated it it was amazing
David and Laci have known each other since they were in preschool. Laci continually grows out her hair, chops it off, and sends it to Locks of Love. It’s one of the things about her that annoys him.

When they reach junior high, Greg moves to town and becomes David’s best friend. He, Greg, and Laci are really more of a threesome. They go to school together, youth group, missions trips, and to each other’s houses. Life is good. Until a tragedy strikes that rocks David’s world.

At first glance I wond
John
Jul 03, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Well, it was slow day and I read this whole book in one go. Not particularly impressive at only about 200 pages, but it does speak well for the writing and style. It's the story of childhood friends David, Laci & Greg. First off, let me assure you that despite there being three of them and the mention of an honors geometry class, there are no triangles in the story, love or otherwise. Though who doesn't like a good isosceles every once in a while. (Sorry, I was a math major, and sometimes th ...more
Eszter
Jan 29, 2014 Eszter rated it really liked it
I don't remember many things happening until the last third of the book or so. I would have rated it maybe OK without the last segment where it gets to the real story. But that is exactly what this book is about: life. You may be tested like this at any given time, and rest assured: you can never ever be prepared. I think this book is about forgiving. And I thought myself quite an easy person to forgive. But I had to reconsider, because what I read in this book... if that would have happened to ...more
Hollz
Feb 17, 2013 Hollz rated it it was amazing
So this is my first review I have ever written so sorry if it's totally poopooish.

Well this book was TOTALLY awesome! The whole time you read it your like " this is so good .... But nothing bad is happening" and you know something bad always happens in books. And then finally at the end... Well can't spoil nothing but when the 'tragic' thing happens I CRIED SO HARD!!!! it's just like " wh-what..... N-no.... That can't happen!" and I had to read the ' tragic ' thing over like two times over. Bef
Sherri
Aug 07, 2012 Sherri rated it liked it
3.5 stars actually.

It was a Christian novel that had likable, well developed characters. The book takes them through the school years including college. Most of the time, it was not preachy and when it was a bit, it was one character to another in a way that wasn't overbearing. Greg was almost unbelievable for his devotion at his young age. But wouldn't the world be better with more young men like him.

The plot goes through the usual trials of growing up and a whopper that made my eyes a bit mo
Karol
Jan 24, 2015 Karol rated it it was amazing
I related to this story, as it told of the deep friendship among kids in a local youth group. Seeing how their faith and the lessons they learned together shaped how they dealt with the world was so encouraging, and I pondered how some of those early life lessons of my own have shaped my entire life.

There is a lot of sadness in the story, and yet there is triumph over the worst of circumstances too. I'm sorry I waited so long to read this book, and I definitely plan to read more of the books in
Cookielover
Jan 20, 2013 Cookielover rated it it was amazing
Truth is, I'm still crying. This book came when I needed its truth. Best book ever. Why is it not more popular? Why was this book free? Omigosh, I loved it!! Jesus just loves so much. He died for you, me-Hitler, Marilyn Monroe, and Mother Teresa. He loves us all the same!!! Even though we don't deserve it. I'm making all my friends read this!!!
And I love Greg, Davey, and Lacie. Really lovable characters who were believable also. A "good read".
Cassandra Morrison
Apr 18, 2017 Cassandra Morrison rated it it was amazing
I read the first book, Chop, Chop, and then read the next 6 in the series. The books are amazing! I was hard to put my kindle down and I read well past a respectable bed time many nights because I was so engrossed in the story. The characters are great, my favorites wound up being Tanner and Laci. If you read the entire series have a box of tissue ready for the last book where the story is told from Tanner's perspective.
Maggie
Sep 23, 2012 Maggie rated it did not like it
Although well written, it was a little heavy on the god. Other than that it was alright. Not stellar, but not terrible. Although, I did feel like whipping through 7 years of life in 170 pages made it feel a little rushed. It would have been nice to have more development on some of the events that took place in the book.
Christine Dillon
Feb 01, 2017 Christine Dillon rated it really liked it
Excellent. The loss of half a star is to keep the author humble and because I don't really like the title.
Very moving, very real, very worth reading and well written. A pleasure to have spent the last 3 hours reading. Best of all, it moved me to tears. That to me is the sign of a good book.
This is a Christian novel that I think teenage boys would like too - a rare thing.
Brenda
Feb 10, 2013 Brenda rated it it was amazing
This is a book that lets you know something bad is on the way in the first couple pages, but then gets light and funny and absorbing so that you forget. Then, BAM! Right in the gut when the bad thing happens. I kind of whimpered out loud a couple times in the last part of the book. It was so good, though. I'm glad I read it.
Amanda
Sep 18, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lendme-books
This book is great! It's a Christian love story, but so much more. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. The story could easily be based on you or me. I fully intend in reading the other books in this series.
Renee Sprague
Sep 06, 2015 Renee Sprague rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
i absolutly loved this book! its not my typical style but i found myself instantly hooked. i hate books that make you cry but this book was just amazing every tear was well worth it i cant wait to read the next one
Jannie
Jan 12, 2013 Jannie rated it really liked it
A very moving story. I was drawn in by the characters and their lives. I did wonder if they were a little too mature for their ages. Other kids being worried about helping the new kid fit in, etc. was a little different from my high school experience, but I still enjoyed it.
Kelly
Apr 18, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Wow I really loved this book that was a freebie on Amazon. I normally don't like books that make me cry, but this was a rare exception. I can't say much without giving it away, but I would definitely recommend this book and I will be purchasing and reading the rest in the series.
Loraine
Apr 15, 2012 Loraine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, young-adult
When I began, this book I thought that it would be just the typical run-of-the mill, angst-ridden, growing up teen novel. I have to say I was very surprised at how different it was and how well it was done. I look forward to reading the next book in the series Day-Day.
Joy
Jan 15, 2015 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want a good coming of age book that will make you laugh & cry while expounding Christian values, this is a fantastic book. Though the characters are teens the message is very good for anyone of any age. I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series!
Rachel Kimbel johnston
Sep 14, 2013 Rachel Kimbel johnston rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. I laughed, cried, and fell in love with the characters. It is a tough read in parts in that you really connect with the characters and not all parts are happy. The redemptive healing of God is prevalent and I could not put it down.
Kelly
Jun 19, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
A quick read I got for free. It was great. Shows how friends can truly influence one another to become closer to God. This is the first in a series...getting the next one now. Highly recommend.
Jillrobert
Jul 08, 2014 Jillrobert rated it it was amazing
Best book I have read in years! Couldn't wait for the next book to be released!
Anna Dressen
Jun 28, 2015 Anna Dressen rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!
Young Adult Book ...: Chop Chop (September) 4 13 Sep 17, 2014 05:21AM
Nia's independent reading assignment. 2 7 Jul 03, 2014 06:49AM
  • Ready or Not (Aggie's Inheritance, #1)
  • Chasing Charlie
  • Gone to Green (Green #1)
  • Rain Dance
  • Kicking Eternity (New Smyrna Beach #3)
  • In Name Only (O’Donovan Family #1)
  • Signs and Wonders
  • Tomorrow's Sun (Lost Sanctuary #1)
  • The Mother Road
  • Walking on Broken Glass
  • Unconventional
  • The Someday List (Jubilant Soul #1)
  • Blue Christmas (Moody Blue, #1)
  • Long Time Coming
  • Texas Roads (Miller's Creek #1)
  • Lights and Shadows (Oregon in Love, #2)
  • Until Forever
  • Her Minnesota Man

Chop, Chop (10 books)
  • Day-Day (Chop, Chop, #2)
  • Pon-Pon (Chop, Chop, #3)
  • The Other Brother (Chop, Chop, #4)
  • The Other Mothers (Chop, Chop, #5)
  • Gone (Chop, Chop, #6)
  • Not Quickly Broken (Chop, Chop, #7)
  • Alone (Chop, Chop, #8)
  • What I Want
  • Remind Me (Chop Chop, #10)

“Why?" I whispered. "Why do you love me?"
"God told me to," she said softly. "He told me that you were the one."
"When?"
"In preschool - when you freaked out just because I got my hair cut."
I pulled back from her and looked to see if she was serious.
She was.”
11 likes
“And what's worse,' she went on, 'is that on Sunday we're going to get back onto a plane and go back to our houses and our TVs and our hot tubs and we're going to forget about all this.'
'No we won't, Laci. We won't forget'
She wiped her eyes and glared at me.
'Yes, we will. You say we won't, but after we get home we'll feel differently. It won't ever feel like this again”
4 likes