Start by marking “New Moon Rising (St. Simons Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
New Moon Rising (St. Simons Trilogy, #2)

New Moon Rising (St. Simons Trilogy #2)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  757 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Passion, inspiration, and intrigue surround the Goulds of St. Simons Island as Eugenia Price's masterful St. Simons Trilogy continues with Deborah, Horace Gould's child bride, guarding his besieged plantation during the Yankee invasion.
Mass Market Paperback, 311 pages
Published 1979 by Bantam Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about New Moon Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Moon Rising

Joyce
Apr 22, 2015 Joyce rated it really liked it
Public library copy, hardcover 1969 edition. I previously read this paperback edition in the 1970s. I figure 40 years is soon enough to re-read a book :-) I loved them then, and I love them now.

This book is so good it deserves a review. It would be a shame if it went unread by readers who think this book is out-dated and not up to current writing standards. It was written 47 years ago, but because it is so well written, the content is timeless.

New Moon Rising is the second in the St. Simons Tril
Beret
Mar 10, 2008 Beret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my shelf for years. I read it in 6 hours this weekend. It is a true,coming of age story about a young man from the South, Horace Gould, who attends Yale in mid 1800's and leaves prematurely because of a sense of injustice over a faculty decision. He feels a deep sense of shame over slavery and spends several decades coming to terms with his own immaturity and family "ghosts"(his Massachusetts-born father owns hundreds of well-treated slaves on their cotton plantation on St. ...more
Margie Van Evera
Mar 18, 2016 Margie Van Evera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love these books by Eugenia Price. I look forward to reading the history of St. Simons Island and it's people, the coming of age of the characters, the hardships and joys they go through on the island.

This is the second book of the St. Simons trilogy and continues to follow the Gould family along with their neighbors. The book ends right after the Civil War has been fought and all slaves are freed. The homes on St. Simons have been destroyed and land divided among the former slaves. I lo
Beckie Burnham
Oct 15, 2014 Beckie Burnham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New Moon Rising is the second book in Eugenia Price’s St. Simons series. Set on St. Simons Island, Georgia, in the years leading up to the Civil War, this richly detailed and well-researched novel brings to life the culture, customs and life of the antebellum South. Price was meticulous in her research so the reader can be assured of the accuracy of the novel. My book club leaves tomorrow on a field trip to St. Simons. We are looking forward to seeing all the places we have read about.

New Moon R
Anne White
Just finished this...I remember my grandmother having it on her shelf, although I don't remember the others in the trilogy. It's okay...I think the attempt to include so much actual historical detail (especially when she finally gets to the Civil War) bogs it down a bit. I was interested enough afterwards to look up the Horace Bunch Gould story online, and I'm reading (quickly) The Beloved Invader, another in the trilogy which I'm actually enjoying more. (One other note, and I'm sure others have ...more
Annette
May 28, 2014 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know this was a true story until I finished the book.
It's a wonderful, easy to read story about Horace, his family, cotton fields, black slaves and when the war comes.
Donna
Aug 29, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eugenia Price delivers such overwhelming sense of home with her books. Living on St Simons & riding beneath the moss draped oaks carries you back to a time that is elegant yet challenging. Throughout this book I would catch myself going "I wonder what if...?"
Cynthia Bower
This book was also a good read as was The Lighthouse. I didn't like it as much but wasn't sorry I read it. St. Simons Island is a place I hope to visit someday!
Sue
Jun 16, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horace Bunch Gould returns to St. Simons after being asked to leave Yale. Convinced that they were asked unfairly to leave, he took an opportunity to go to Savannah and work while trying to find out what he really wanted to do. Ultimately, he does return to the Island and the family plantations. But the the Civil War breaks out and Horace is pressed into service.
Re-read in 2012. Historical fiction is interesting because I find myself thinking about what life was truly like in that time. This o
~mad
Nov 11, 2015 ~mad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksiveread
One of a small number of books that I have reread!
David messner
now to find the rest of the series
Marla
Dec 27, 2008 Marla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about the son of the characters in the previous book. The time period is the Civil War. The independent-minded Horace Gould is the black sheep of his family. He returns home to the plantation after seven years. He courts his neighbor Deborah and marries her. Neighbors tells Deborah his wicked past will come back to haunt the family, but she believes in him. When the plantation is besieged by the Yankees,Horace fights to save his home and learns he must lean on God in bad times.

Cathy Klingler
May 22, 2016 Cathy Klingler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 in the trilogy by Eugenia Price. Interesting, clean, very readable, historical.
Pam
Feb 10, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horace Gould, kicked out of Yale, wandered to New Orleans, came back to SSI, married, worked on and eventually owned Black Banks Plantation. Civil War almost destroyed it all. Son of James Gould, lighthouse builder.
Colleen
This is the second book in a trilogy based on one of my favorite places, St. Simons Island GA. I liked the first book in the series more, but I appreciated the history and the story of the South during transition into the Civil War. I plan to finish the series but I am taking some time off before I start the last book.
Dale
Dec 08, 2012 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like the first book in this trilogy but am so glad I went ahead and continued the series. This book delved more into the lives of the Gould family on St. Simons Island and covered the period up to the end of the Civil War. Very interesting. Looking forward to the third and last in this series.
Graceann
Dec 02, 2007 Graceann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
Continuing the Lighthouse Trilogy, this book takes us through the Gould descendants and through the Civil War - heartbreaking reading at times, and an interesting exploration of the family ties throughout the Island. I read this first in August 1993 and revisit it regularly.
Cshifflett
I liked the fact this was a story based on real fact, including some of the real names that lived on St. Simmons Island, GA just before and the Civil War broke out. Your heart aches for the devastation, but ends with hope.
Karen
Jun 02, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it because it is a historical novel based on a family that settled St. Simon Island where I'll be vacationing. This is the 2nd one I have read and will eventually read the last one. They are well researched and engaging.
Karen
Jun 18, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Enjoyed the second book of the trilogy almost as much as the first. Amazing to stay with this family over the years. I cried with each one lost. One more in this series!
Janet
Aug 30, 2010 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as the first, but still interesting storyline with a southern viewpoint on the Civil War.
Sharon
Feb 05, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first in the series but still was very interesting.
Beverly
Very interesting story of a Southern Family before and during the Civil War.
Renate
Oct 24, 2007 Renate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was my mother in laws fvorite. I think she found it inspiring
Diane
Jun 29, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Another great historical fiction by Eugenia Price.
Rick
Aug 03, 2008 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written historical fiction. Great trilogy
Ellen
Aug 17, 2009 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another in the Saint Simons, GA trilogy.
Sandy
Aug 02, 2013 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first but still worth reading.
Melody
Feb 19, 2008 Melody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part 2 of 3 of a must read triology
Becky L
Jun 30, 2008 Becky L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
see my review of Beauty From Ashes
  • The Jekyl Island Club
  • Dynasty Of Death (Barbours/Bouchards, #1)
  • The Gold Seekers (The Australians, #7)
  • The Simple Truth About Love
  • The Bride Of The Wilderness (Paul Christopher #6)
  • The Midwife
  • Swan's Chance (Wild Swan Trilogy, #2)
  • Theirs Was the Kingdom (Swann Saga, #2)
  • American Dreams (Crown Family Saga, #2)
  • The Golden Hawk
  • Rest and Be Thankful
  • The White Dove
  • A World Full of Strangers
  • Iron Branch: A Civil War Tale of a Woman In-Between
  • Treasure of Stonewycke (The Stonewycke Legacy, #3)
  • Marilee (Sunfire, #9)
  • Thailand
  • Steamboat Gothic
Price was born into a middle class family in Charleston, West Virginia. Her father, Walter Price, was a dentist. At the age of ten Eugenia decided that she wanted to be a writer, an ambition encouraged by her mother Anna. She submitted a poem to her school's literary magazine. In 1932 she graduated from high school, declared herself an atheist and decided to pursue a career in dentistry instead of ...more
More about Eugenia Price...

St. Simons Trilogy (3 books)
  • Lighthouse (St. Simons Trilogy, #1)
  • The Beloved Invader (St. Simons Trilogy, #3)