Start by marking “New Moon Rising (St. Simons Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
New Moon Rising (St. Simons Trilogy, #2)

New Moon Rising (St. Simons Trilogy #2)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  644 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Passion, inspiration, and intrigue surround the Goulds of St. Simons Island as Eugenia Price's masterful St. Simons Trilogy continues with Deborah, Horace Gould's child bride, guarding his besieged plantation during the Yankee invasion.
Mass Market Paperback, 311 pages
Published 1979 by Bantam Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about New Moon Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Moon Rising

Beret
This book has been on my shelf for years. I read it in 6 hours this weekend. It is a true,coming of age story about a young man from the South, Horace Gould, who attends Yale in mid 1800's and leaves prematurely because of a sense of injustice over a faculty decision. He feels a deep sense of shame over slavery and spends several decades coming to terms with his own immaturity and family "ghosts"(his Massachusetts-born father owns hundreds of well-treated slaves on their cotton plantation on St. ...more
Beckie Burnham
New Moon Rising is the second book in Eugenia Price’s St. Simons series. Set on St. Simons Island, Georgia, in the years leading up to the Civil War, this richly detailed and well-researched novel brings to life the culture, customs and life of the antebellum South. Price was meticulous in her research so the reader can be assured of the accuracy of the novel. My book club leaves tomorrow on a field trip to St. Simons. We are looking forward to seeing all the places we have read about.

New Moon R
Annette
I didn't know this was a true story until I finished the book.
It's a wonderful, easy to read story about Horace, his family, cotton fields, black slaves and when the war comes.
Sue
Horace Bunch Gould returns to St. Simons after being asked to leave Yale. Convinced that they were asked unfairly to leave, he took an opportunity to go to Savannah and work while trying to find out what he really wanted to do. Ultimately, he does return to the Island and the family plantations. But the the Civil War breaks out and Horace is pressed into service.
Re-read in 2012. Historical fiction is interesting because I find myself thinking about what life was truly like in that time. This o
David messner
now to find the rest of the series
Marla
This book is about the son of the characters in the previous book. The time period is the Civil War. The independent-minded Horace Gould is the black sheep of his family. He returns home to the plantation after seven years. He courts his neighbor Deborah and marries her. Neighbors tells Deborah his wicked past will come back to haunt the family, but she believes in him. When the plantation is besieged by the Yankees,Horace fights to save his home and learns he must lean on God in bad times.

Colleen
This is the second book in a trilogy based on one of my favorite places, St. Simons Island GA. I liked the first book in the series more, but I appreciated the history and the story of the South during transition into the Civil War. I plan to finish the series but I am taking some time off before I start the last book.
Dale
I did not like the first book in this trilogy but am so glad I went ahead and continued the series. This book delved more into the lives of the Gould family on St. Simons Island and covered the period up to the end of the Civil War. Very interesting. Looking forward to the third and last in this series.
Graceann
Dec 02, 2007 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
Continuing the Lighthouse Trilogy, this book takes us through the Gould descendants and through the Civil War - heartbreaking reading at times, and an interesting exploration of the family ties throughout the Island. I read this first in August 1993 and revisit it regularly.
Cshifflett
I liked the fact this was a story based on real fact, including some of the real names that lived on St. Simmons Island, GA just before and the Civil War broke out. Your heart aches for the devastation, but ends with hope.
Karen
I read it because it is a historical novel based on a family that settled St. Simon Island where I'll be vacationing. This is the 2nd one I have read and will eventually read the last one. They are well researched and engaging.
Karen
Enjoyed the second book of the trilogy almost as much as the first. Amazing to stay with this family over the years. I cried with each one lost. One more in this series!
Janet
Not quite as good as the first, but still interesting storyline with a southern viewpoint on the Civil War.
Sharon
Not as good as the first in the series but still was very interesting.
Beverly
Very interesting story of a Southern Family before and during the Civil War.
Renate
this was my mother in laws fvorite. I think she found it inspiring
Diane
Another great historical fiction by Eugenia Price.
Rick
Well written historical fiction. Great trilogy
Ellen
Another in the Saint Simons, GA trilogy.
Sandy
Not as good as the first but still worth reading.
Melody
Part 2 of 3 of a must read triology
Becky L
see my review of Beauty From Ashes
Natalya
Natalya marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Tyler Reason
Tyler Reason is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2015
Mary Burns
Mary Burns marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
  • Nora Bonesteel's Christmas Past: A Ballad Novella
  • Theirs Was the Kingdom (Swann Saga, #2)
  • The Gold Seekers (The Australians, #7)
  • Homeland (Crown Family Saga, #1)
  • Safe Within: A Novel
  • Wedding Belles
  • The Midwife
  • Confederates Don't Wear Couture (Pilgrims, #2)
  • Iron Branch: A Civil War Tale of a Woman In-Between
  • Treasure of Stonewycke (The Stonewycke Legacy, #3)
  • Master of Falconhurst
  • Sara Dane
  • Tomorrow About This Time
  • Love Me, Marietta
  • Golden Flames (The Delaneys, #8) (The Delaneys, The Untamed Years, #1)
  • The Blue Bottle Club
  • The Dreaming: A Novel of Australia
  • Fortress Rabaul: The Battle for the Southwest Pacific, January 1942-April 1943
Price was born into a middle class family in Charleston, West Virginia. Her father, Walter Price, was a dentist. At the age of ten Eugenia decided that she wanted to be a writer, an ambition encouraged by her mother Anna. She submitted a poem to her school's literary magazine. In 1932 she graduated from high school, declared herself an atheist and decided to pursue a career in dentistry instead of ...more
More about Eugenia Price...

St. Simons Trilogy (3 books)
  • Lighthouse (St. Simons Trilogy, #1)
  • The Beloved Invader (St. Simons Trilogy, #3)
Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #1) Lighthouse (St. Simons Trilogy, #1) To See Your Face Again (Savannah Quartet, #2) The Beloved Invader (St. Simons Trilogy, #3) Bright Captivity (Georgia Trilogy, #1)