Teaching by the Spirit

Teaching by the Spirit

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Whether you are a first-time teacher or a seasoned veteran, Teaching by the Spirit offers valuable scriptural insights along with tender spiritual stories and practical teaching techniques that will invite the Spirit more fully into all your teaching.
Published December 31st 2000 by Shadow Mountain

Michael Adamson
Jul 03, 2008 Michael Adamson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Michael by: Self
This book has also changed my life. I am doing much more now to try and give my talks and presentations as a Bishop by just standing up and letting things flow. However, with thought and preparation before hand. As a High councilor I used to write all of my talks and read them from the pulpit. Not any more!

Of course there are times when minimal notes are needed. Also, there are times that the Spirit has directed that I write the entire talk and read it from paper. However, the more I study and a...more
Jenny
Feb 27, 2014 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
Great stuff in this book. I took notes and plan to implement a lot of it in my teaching and speaking.
Tiana
I hesitated for a long time before reading this book - because I knew that if I read it, I'd then need to take what I learned and apply it to my talks, meaning, that I wouldn't be able to write out my talks anymore and I'd have to go by the spirit. (Very daunting to someone like me). I feel like he's laid it out nicely though to help you along the process and I AM going to do it when I next have to speak. He gives great examples and helps you learn what you need to do to prepare yourself to give...more
Becky
I loved this book. It has given me so many insights on how to improve my teaching and follow the Spirit more. I have a far way to go, but I really feel like I'm improving because of the insights in this book.
Michelle
Amazing book for teachers! But it's not a straight read-through book. I had to take it in segments and apply the principles one at a time. Could have probably ended without dragging out the last few chapters.
Sue
This is a good book full of simple suggestions to inviting the spirit in as you teach. It helps you realize you need to do your part in asking for the spirit to be with you before, during, and after you teach.
Desiree
Loved the book! Learned so much in so little time and applied his principles in my lessons with wonderful results. If you are a teacher, which all of us are, read it and apply it to your own life.
Jared
A book like this needs to be studied and digested rather than just read. That said, I imagine this book deserves a 5 star rating rather than the 4 I gave it. Very well written though.
Oliver
read many years ago, but the lessons taught I still use today. "Come follow me" emphasizes many of E Cook's suggestions for teaching. A great read for beginning a better teacher.
Ernie Dawson
Elder Cook has a special spirit and gives great talks and writes great books. This book has a lot of great ideas on teaching by the spirit.
Sam
Fabulous. This is a great book when applied. I still use the techniques that this book contains. Wonderful information.
Lacey
Mar 15, 2008 Lacey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Lacey by: my dad
Listened to it on tape probably about four times and I'm currently listening to it. This is my favorite!
Amie
This changed the way I teach and the way I listen to teachers. It's fabulous and everyone should read it!
Donna
Very thought-provoking. Gives lots of great ideas on how to improve teaching in all aspects of life.
Joe
A great read. This book has as much to do with living as teaching. It made me a better father.
Mitch
I really liked the insight in this book about how to help others by teaching in a better way.
Kate
The first chapter hooked me. I'd experience what he was talking about - great so far!
Shauna
This book is awesome! It really strengthened my testimony of teaching by the Spirit.
Clint
One of my favorite books ever. It totally changed the way I give talks and teach lessons
Alice Ambrose
Alice Ambrose marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Carlene Lundy
Carlene Lundy marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Alysia
Alysia is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2014
Shalee
Shalee marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Gene R Cook and his wife Janelle are the parents of eight children. He is an emeritus general authority in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
More about Gene R Cook...
Raising Up a Family to the Lord Receiving Answers to Our Prayers Searching the Scriptures: Bringing Power to Your Personal and Family Study Living by the Power of Faith Personal Scripture Study