Night Gate (The Gateway Trilogy, #1)

Night Gate (The Gateway Trilogy #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  493 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Rage Winnoway’s closest friends have always been her four dogs: Bear, Billy Thunder, Elle, and Mr. Walker. When Rage sets off for the hospital where her mother lies in a coma, the dogs and the neighbor’s goat tag along. On the way, they run into the firecat, who talks them into going through a magical gate. And something wonderful happens! Each of Rage’s friends is transfo...more
Published May 23rd 2006 by Yearling (first published May 1st 2002)

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakBurn Bright by Marianne de PierresTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenLife in Outer Space by Melissa KeilWhisky Charlie Foxtrot by Annabel Smith
Aussie Authors
117th out of 153 books — 32 voters
Just Breathe by Rachel BrookesBlaze of Glory by Michael PryorKIYA by Katie HamsteadThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakForget Me Not by Stacey Nash
Books by Australian Authors
108th out of 118 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Paradoxical
I have a weakness for books like this. There is just something so compelling about a young character bravely going off into an adventure to save someone, with her trusty companions by her side. It's not about intelligence or physical prowess or magical aptitude, it's about strength of character and growing up just a little bit and doing your best under the most trying of circumstances.

So, yeah, total sucker for this book.

Rage, the main character, along with four dogs and a goat, stumbles across...more
Dexter/Persy - RAMFAP 2013!
Isobelle Carmody is one of the best writers ever. It must be because she's Australian (a lot of my favorite authors are Australian).

But seriously, her writing is just so beautiful and gorgeous that it's hard to stop reading once you've really gotten into it. I admit, the first half of Night Gate is a bit hard to sink one's teeth into, but if you make it that far, you are definitely in for the rest of the ride.

Isobelle Carmody makes me -feel- everything she writes. In the beginning, Rage is in a...more
Carrie
"Night Gate" starts rather quickly and doesn't leave much room for introduction, but it's still interesting. The writing is very good, as could be expected by this author. It starts out when Rage Winnoway runs away from home to see her sick mother in the hospital, and four dogs and a goat tag along. On the way, they meet a firecat who convinces them to go through a magical gate into a strange world where magic is dying. The firecat tells Rage that it is her job to find the wizard so he can save...more
Lily
I love the kind of books where you get a load of characters who are all lovable and different from one another. Night Gate definitely has that!

I got into the flow of the story right away. Rage, (whose name first gave me the impression that she's possibly a troubled and angry child with temper issues lol) the main character's mother is in coma and dying. Rage isn't allowed to see her, and by the sounds of things, Rage is stuck with the most disagreeable adults in the country. (Luckily, she has he...more
Julie
I picked this up because I've heard great things about Isobelle Carmody's Obernewtyn series. This one is perhaps aimed a bit younger.

I didn't have any problem with the premise or the characters, but the execution left a lot to be desired. There's something to be said for "showing instead of telling" and this book did almost nothing but "tell." Throughout, characters would learn a bit of new information and then would spend pages in group analysis deciding what it meant. This wouldn't have been b...more
Alison Strumbeck
It's categorized as fantasy but its more of a futuristic dystopia. The whole book has that interesting yet creepy feel which exists in all dystopia stories. I would consider this sci-fi more than fantasy. The animals that are literally personified in the story are strange and don't seem to retain any of their animal nature, which defeats the purpose of personification. But in the end I found myself getting attached to the characters and strange as it is I want to read the next one. I guess it's...more
Jessica
Billy Thunder and the Night Gate is the first book that i can remember re-reading more than twice. this is the most worn out book on my bookshelf and i would recommend it to any child between 7 and 12. This story presents such a vivid world of both real-life and fantasy. The story has many many facets and yet still flows so well from each scene to the next. I asolutely loved it.
Goldenwattle
It is some years since I read this book, but I seem to recall thinking it was an okay read, but nothing more. I didn't like a main character being called "Rage". And I didn't like the description of her flyaway hair. That might seem silly, but it bugged me. I did like the idea of a flooded valley still existing in another dimension.
Katrina
Jul 30, 2010 Katrina rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: 11-13 Year Old Fans of Fantasy/Animal Stories
While I found this book to be unique; it wasn’t exactly a page turner. I thought Carmody did a good job creating an interesting world that was well flushed out and distinctive. I also liked the idea of her pets becoming sort of human and helping her complete her quest. Overall an ok fantasy book that might appeal to animal lovers.
Jeannette
I think this is a nice fantasy book for young teens/tweens. It wasn't very gripping, so I skipped to the end. I liked the idea of the girl's pets becoming "almost" human and sharing in her adventure. It was original in some ways and pretty standard in others. Maybe that's why it didn't quite keep my interest.
Qing
Oops... I guess 10 years has fuzzed the memory on this book, but no wonder the characters (Billy Thunder in particular) seemed so familiar even if the story didn't.

This book totally reminds me of why I love Carmody's stories despite her recent Obernewtyn books: sweet and endearing.
Selenis
Enquanto espero e desespero pelos últimos volumes da série Obernewtyn, resolvi ler este. A forma de escrever dela é facilmente reconhecível, com assuntos bem sérios a espreitar em alegorias bem formuladas. Não tão bom como a série Obernewtyn, mas gostei.
Karen
Not a bad story, but I was not drawn in by the story or characters. I would much prefer to stick with the Obernewtyn series.
Adrian Smith
Nicely written but didn't appeal to me.
Leslie Mcdonald
I first read this when it was still calldd Billy Thunder and the night gate and am still yet to read the next installments. Just have to say that I loved this book to death. I need a new copy I've read it so many times.
bin
I think this book is really good, it's better for young readers though. It's only a light read, and it feels like she wrote it at first on a whimm, but as you progress it's really enjoyable.
Kirstyn
Mmm. Don't like animals that talk. Or animals that turn into humans. Or... just don't really like the concept.
Rachel
Mar 21, 2009 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: umm anywone
Recommended to Rachel by: the library
This book was really good!Although I do not like the name Rage..........:) hehe
Calli
I like this series a lot. I love the characters!!!!! It is a very good series.
Ann Babcock
It was a cute Sci-Fi for teens. Good writing and good characters.
Cecilia
Don't read. It's quite boring so far.
Danielle
Jul 20, 2007 Danielle marked it as to-read
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
For Mae
Katherine Hiukka
Katherine Hiukka marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Sara Jeisy
Sara Jeisy marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Kiley
Kiley marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Isabelle
Isabelle marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Mihaela
Mihaela marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • The Basilisk's Lair (Nathaniel Fludd Beastologist, #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)
  • Monster Republic (Monster Republic, #1)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk, #2)
  • The Tomorrow Code
  • The Sea Fairies
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home
Isobelle Carmody began the first novel of her highly acclaimed Obernewtyn Chronicles while she was still in high school. The series has established her at the forefront of fantasy writing in Australia.

In addition to her young-adult novels, such as the Obernewtyn Chronicles and Alyzon Whitestarr, Isobelle's published works include several middle-grade fantasies. Her still-unfinished Gateway Trilogy...more
More about Isobelle Carmody...
Obernewtyn (Obernewtyn Chronicles, #1) The Farseekers (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #2) Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3) The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4) The Stone Key (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #5)

“If human lives be,
for their very brevity, sweet,
then beast lives are sweeter still...”
3 likes