Start by marking “Sheltering Rain” as Want to Read:
Sheltering Rain

Jojo Moyes

Sheltering Rain

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,115 Ratings  ·  440 Reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of Me Before You comes the touching, unforgettable story of three generations of Irish women faced with the fundamental truths of love, duty, and the unbreakable bond that unites mothers and daughters

Estranged from her mother since she ran away from her rural Irish home as a young woman, Kate swore an oath that she'd always be a f
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Sheltering Rain, please sign up.

Kathy In inglese, questo libro si chiama 'Sheltering Rain'. Sono inglese, ma non so che cosa significa 'Sheltering Rain'.

Mekerei
This novel started with promise, I wanted to know what happened with Joy's and Edward's marriage. It seemed very romantic that they were engaged after meeting just once.

However the novel focuses on Sabine, Joy's sulky grand-daughter, whose has been exiled to Ireland by her self-centered mother.You should feel sympathy for Sabine, but I couldn't.

I had to force my-self to finish this novel. If this was the first novel I had read by Jojo Moyes it would have been the last. Me Before You has redeemed
Allen Grace
Aug 07, 2013 Allen Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real love that survived the slings and arrows of fate that soared, like some kind of 1950's Romeo and Juliet, above the petty and mundane. The kind of love you read about in books, that inspired songs, that lifted you like a bird yet stood solid, like a monolith, vast, all-encompassing, enduring. . .

Sheltering Rain is deeply moving and yet unnervingly depressing. It makes me feel depressed anyway even if it's not depressing. I love Jojo Moyes but this is not one of her best. Let me clarify thi
J8J8
4,5 estrelas

Estão a ver aquele tipo de livro que, no fim, nos deixa um sentimento de nostalgia? por sabermos que a história chegou ao fim? por sabermos que não podemos continuar a ler? por não podermos acompanhar mais a história destas 3 mulheres? Retrato de Família é precisamente este tipo de livro. É um livro em que se eu só pudesse usar um adjectivo para o descrever usaria encantador.

Retrato de Família retrata a história de uma família disfuncional, afectada por segredos e por sentimentos rep

Tanya Nekrasova
Apr 20, 2016 Tanya Nekrasova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Джоджо Мойес «Счастливые шаги под дождем».

Новая книга Мойес «Счастливые шаги под дождем» - это невероятно трогательная история трех женщин: бабушки семейства - Джой, ее дочери - Кейт и внучки Джой и дочери Кейт – Сабины. Три женщины, три поколения, три совершенно разных мировоззрения, которым придется столкнуться друг с другом, чтобы пережить не легкие времена. Им предстоит простить друг другу взаимные обиды и наконец, обрести мир внутри самих себя.

Трудно поверить, но это дебютный роман автора.
Kate
Jun 12, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, very emotional, I loved the characterisation and I really felt for everyone. Cried several times, even at happy bits, also got goosebumps and thought one of the leading men was verrrrrryy sexy.....
This is the third book of her's I've read in a month and I think Jojo Moyes might be my new favourite author.....
Elizabeth Moffat
May 24, 2014 Elizabeth Moffat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have become a huge fan of Jojo Moyes work ever since reading her fantastic novel Me Before You and have made it my mission to read her back catalogue. This is why I was particularly excited to read her debut novel Sheltering Rain which was first published in 2002. This is a novel about three generations of women – Joy who spent many of her formative years in Hong Kong in the 1950′s which is also where she met and married her soldier husband Edward. They had perhaps what could be called a whirl ...more
Genna
Jan 31, 2016 Genna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't bother.
Jessica
Some novels are flashy, bold and obvious. The characters rush to the forefront, the plot unfolds quickly, laying down the story in such a way that the reader is satisfied with little effort or attention on their part. I often enjoy books like that, romances and dramas, fluffy and formulaic... Books like that are easy. They are entertaining, and they certainly have their place.

"Sheltering Rain," as it turns out, does not fall into the above category of fiction. It is not flashy. It is not easy, a
Jae
Jun 05, 2013 Jae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this novel as a ready-made fan of Jojo Moyes' work - and I was aware of this being an early work. Perhaps I was über-aware but I do think it shows, which of course makes me reflect upon my first and second novels and how to avoid the tell-tale signs. What was it I didn't like so much? Difficult to pinpoint but there was a faint thread of over-egging and trying a little too hard. That said, I enjoyed the characters and kept reading as much out of respect for the author as out of a desire ...more
M
Nov 05, 2012 M rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I saw someone post this on GR and thought, oh, I like Maeve Binchy, and this is meant to be similar. Yeah, well, I am offended on Maeve's behalf - she is, I think, the most misunderstood author ever. I couldn't read past twenty pages, where we already had the too perfect and above her time heroine with her silly shallow friends and judgemental parents and then cue the dark brooding hero who will propose to her ... on the same day he meets her??? Yeah. We're done here.
Barb
I chose this book for my 2014 Book Bingo challenge, for the square "the first book of a favorite author". I've read quite a few novels by Moyes and I loved "Me Before You" so she comes as close to a favorite author as anyone else does.

Kate's going through a bit of a rough patch and decides to send her sixteen year old daughter, Sabine, to stay with her parents in Ireland while she sorts things out. Her mother and father, Joy and Edward, take Sabine into their home despite the fact that their rel
Pamela
Apr 17, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sabine Ballantyne hates Kilcarrion. When her mother breaks up with her live-in boyfriend for a new beau, she sends 16-year old Sabine to live at her grandmother's horse farm in Ireland. At first, Sabine hates Kilcarrion. She hates the musty old rooms and the rigid rules and her really old grandfather and her grandmother, who seems to care more about her horses than her family. But when she discovers a box of her grandmother's old photographs, she begins to bond with her grandmother and get adjus ...more
Maggie
Sep 11, 2012 Maggie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Disappointing. I kept waiting for the story to start, it just seemed like a general background story on a family who had become disjointed, the reasons why we were not really given enough information on.

Without wanting to give anything away, the story behind the photograph is all too easy to guess and no surprise at all really, but again the story never developed. Sabine was your typical teenager, Kate came across as a weak woman who jumped in and out of relationships without a second thought, J
Mariana
3,5*
Tita
May 17, 2015 Tita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este é o terceiro livro que leio de Jojo Moyes, mas curiosamente foi o primeiro a ser escrito.

A história desenrola-se em torno de três gerações de mulheres: Joy, Kate e Sabine, respectivamente, avó, mãe e neta. No entanto, o seu relacionamento não é dos melhores, e é com o agravar do estado de saúde do marido de Joy, que obriga que estas mulheres a conviverem.
Temos então uma história familiar, um amor modelo. Mas na realidade sabemos que nenhuma família é perfeita e que há sempre algo escondido
Kaitlin Lyngaas
Apr 07, 2015 Kaitlin Lyngaas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I love Jojo Moyes, you can tell this is one of her earlier books. The writing is still good, but it doesn't carry the same weight as her later books do.

"Sheltering Rain" follows a mother who sends her unruly daughter to live with her grandparents in a farm in Ireland. Sabine is a spoiled teenager and doesn't like her grandparents farm at first. There is no internet and TV is scarce. Her grandparents raise and ride horses and Sabine never got into horses. Sabine is a sulky teenager her firs
Laurel-Rain
Jul 04, 2014 Laurel-Rain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three generations of women—mothers and daughters—are the core characters in "Sheltering Rain"; we join the first of them in 1953, in Hong Kong, where young Joy and her best friend Stella are waiting to listen to the coronation ceremony of Elizabeth II. On that same day, Joy meets a young man, a naval officer, named Edward Ballantyne, and before the day is out, the two have pledged themselves to one another.

Leaping forward to 1997, in Ireland, we first meet Sabine Ballantyne, Joy and Edward's gra
Karyl
Jun 21, 2014 Karyl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-reads, 2014
Having read Me Before You as well as The Girl You Left Behind, I decided to read anything else by Jojo Moyes had written that was in my library's collection. I knew this was her debut novel, so I didn't have huge hopes for it, and I'm glad I didn't. It's not that it's a bad book; it's just not up to the caliber of her later stuff.

I did enjoy the back-and-forth between Joy and Edward when young, back when Queen Elizabeth was a new queen, and Sabine visiting her grandmother Joy in the present day
Isa
Sep 28, 2013 Isa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Depois de ter lido Viver depois de Ti, fiquei com enormes expectativas em relação a este trabalho de Jojo Moyes no entanto a obra, de facto, não me cativou tanto quanto esperava que o tivesse feito.
Possivelmente a razão foi pelo facto de pensar que também esta mereceria 5 estrelas tal como a anterior...
A história está muito bem estruturada, fala de três épocas distintas que em muito se afastam ...
Joy, uma mulher severa que, outrora for feliz com o seu apaixonado Edward, foi traída por quem meno
Susan
Aug 22, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this novel is well-written and I got into the characters, the story line is too predictable. Teenager is sent from London to the Irish countryside to spend the summer with her aging grandparents with whom her mother has a tenuous relationship. Teen finds contentment with grand-parents, overcomes her fears of riding her gentle gray mare, and enjoys life there while her mother deals with her serial breakups with her boyfriends and deals with her own issues. You can probably figure out the re ...more
Anna Bleibtgeheim
I was a bit diasppointed.
I have read several novels of Jojo Moyes before and got a big fan of her stories. I liked the charakters, the gripping plots and her style of writing, which has always the right balance of descriptive and narrative elements and of severity and humour.
Well, her writing was as usual. The story was okay, nothing very exciting, but still not boring, but the characters were very different from those in Moyes' other novels. They did not touch me. Sabine seemed to me as a stupi
Anne-Marie
Jojo Moyes is my new favourite author, however whilst I did enjoy this, it wasn't up to the same standard as others. The storyline focuses on 3 women as the main characters, grandmother, daughter and granddaughter. They are all very different, but somehow there are questions left unanswered as to why they are the way they are, particularly around joy's marriage to Edward.
Karen Rock
Jul 28, 2015 Karen Rock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an engaging women's fiction book with great narratives from female characters of all ages from a sullen teen to her self-destructive mother and an emotionally-stifled grandmother and how all of these women come together again as a family. This story brought me to tears several times and moved me to read it twice!
Mirjam
May 18, 2014 Mirjam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
I enjoyed the characters stories.
I like the way Miss Moyes describes how life surprises us all the time, the things we learn about ourselves, the way we often do not feel how we had expected to feel when situations arise in life.
There is a sense of allowing your self to be forgiven for past mistakes made. It shows us we are able to move on in life after disasters have struck.

Having lived in Ireland for 9,5 years and in England for 15 years i could not help but noti
Danna
"Sabine has once told her that they divided girls in her class into 'radiators and drains': Radiators being those popular girls who gave out interest and enthusiasm, drawing people around them closer: and drains being... well, drains: those who sucked out atmosphere and goodwill like a vacuum" (76).
Shamsa
Jun 14, 2015 Shamsa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again I fell in love with another book by Jojo Moyes!
All the horse related references are just great!
The three generations of girls is just what made that book so special. the problems of each one of them during the different people of their life. The focus on their private lives and how it's viewed in the eyes of each one of them. Great book!
Barbara Elsborg
Nov 23, 2013 Barbara Elsborg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engrossing story spanning three generations. I read it all at one sitting so obviously the pace was perfect for me. I liked the way Moyes shows her characters developing. No, they're not nice for much of the time but there is something compelling about them, urging the reader to keep turning the page. A story about secrets, betrayal but most of all about love - though this is not a romance. Moyes explores all sorts of love in this story and it is very cleverly done. The love of a woman for he ...more
The Book Posh
Sheltering Rain by Jojo Moyes (the queen of parentheses) is a heartfelt book about love, loss and family. In true Moyes fashion, she weaves the present with the past in a seamless and believable manner. This story, set in London and Ireland, centers around the relationships between mothers and daughters. The joy and anguish that this relationship can bring are well told. I could do without the Sabine the Teenage Bitch, who is a character that I never understood. I know that teens can be emotiona ...more
I agree with quite a few of the other reviews of this book. It is very slow going. I wasn't all that enamored of any of the main characters - though I liked Sabine later in the book and I enjoyed the passages of Joy's life in Hong Kong.

You can tell this is one of the author's earlier books and it could do with an editor's heavy hand. It also does not do a very good job of evolving the characters or explaining some of their motivations.

I've enjoyed JoJo Moyes more recent books, both You Before Me
Julie Levine
Finally got good around page 300. Needed big-time editing. I like her later works much better. Sweet story though.
2015 Reading Chal...: Sheltering Rain by Jojo Moyes 1 29 Feb 17, 2015 02:04PM
  • The Desperate Bride's Diet Club
  • Trust Me
  • A Filha do Capitão
  • The Hour Before Dawn
Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

She is mar
More about Jojo Moyes...

“I never really cared what anyone thought of me until he came along, ” she said. “And now, I can’t believe it’s me he’s chosen. Every morning I wake up and thank God that he did. Every night I go to bed praying that time will go that much faster so that I can be with him again. I think all the time about what he’s doing , who he’s talking to. Not in a jealous way , or anything. I just want to be closer to him, and if I can imagine what he’s doing, then that helps.” 2 likes
“And she deserved it, didn’t she? She had told herself, desperately trying to rationalize the hurt she was about to cause. She was allowed another chance? Why should she have to give up on romantic love at the age of thirty-five?” 0 likes