Start by marking “Gastronaut: Adventures in Food for the Romantic, the Foolhardy, and the Brave” as Want to Read:
Gastronaut: Adventures in Food for the Romantic, the Foolhardy, and the Brave

Gastronaut: Adventures in Food for the Romantic, the Foolhardy, and the Brave

An irreverent journey through the culinary world of the exotic, the bizarre, and the truly extraordinary, Gastronaut is equal parts cookbook and quest book. For your bedside or your stoveside, this hilarious and captivating journey through some of the strangest food experiences, past and present, is divided into three levels of escalating difficulty. Whether you're ready t ...more
Published April 3rd 2006 by Mariner Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Gastronaut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gastronaut

Bonnie Fazio
Jul 30, 2014 Bonnie Fazio rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Folks with strong stomachs; quirky foodies
Very funny in parts, but a few chapters went beyond my comfort zone for grossness. Just so you know, I'm not squeamish about blood, surgery, or even death (I read "Stiff" with scarcely a qualm). However, certain other bodily secretions, excretions and functions make me queasy -- and I have a terrible insect phobia. (The fear part pertains mainly to moths, but I find all insects repulsive, and can't stand the thought of eating or cooking them.) There were a couple chapters I had to virtually skip ...more
Tim
Aug 10, 2015 Tim rated it really liked it
Everything you didn't want to know about food, or wondered but didn't want to ask !
The section on Human Harvest, eating or drinking bits of human such as nails, earwax and others I won't mention, was a little suspect. The results were based on your own consumption of your body bits.
Breast milk came out as 35%. Now I would have thought that most women who are breast feeding have tried it, not as a refreshing drink instead of Chardonnay, but out of fascination.
As for eating/drinking items from som
^
Feb 04, 2015 ^ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those with a jaded appetite
Utterly and quaintly bizarre. Almost as good for foodie conversation (dinner party, BBQ, or down the pub) as Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall; however HFW has the massive advantage in that you can actually cook, and eat very well, from his writings.

"Gastronaut" is a fascinating addition to the shelves of "What under-represented angle can I possibly find to write about in the subject area of food and eating?" OK, yes, I mildly enjoyed reading it; even though I had to grit my teeth during the sections m
Datsun
Jul 29, 2008 Datsun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hungry people, gourmands, food perverts
Shelves: cooking
I had to work really hard to ignore the picture of the author. He's got the same glasses-haircut combo as most of the snotty, faux-boho, crypto-yuppie neo-leftie scumbags that are always blocking up the aisles at the supermarket here, looking for organically sourced frozen dinners and responsibly farmed soylent paste.

Okay, maybe they're not all that bad, but one of the worst of those assholes and his bottle-blond dingbat of a wife were following me around today, blathering about how hard it was
Marie
Sep 15, 2014 Marie rated it it was ok
Gross out factor in the first half is not very entertaining. Eked a slight comeback in the other half, squeaking by with two stars.
Niya B
Jul 15, 2013 Niya B rated it liked it
The text is charmingly inspirational thanks to Gates' very british sense of humour, and his attitude to eating. Few texts on the market today explore cannibalism, eating insects, hosting Bacchanalian feasts and making head cheese with the same earnest humour as Gates expresses. This is not a book to cook from (unless you have a large private property, somewhat unlimited funds, excellent butchers and very adventurous friends) but it is one to enjoy if you're contemplating philosophies of cooking ...more
Camille
Mar 21, 2011 Camille rated it it was ok
Funny book, provides topics for dinner party conversations. Gets men more excited than women (they all want to roast suckling pigs in holes in the backyard). I like it that the author has cooked and eaten nearly every recipe in the book - including boiled woodlice, head cheese (pig's head), and salmon with aftershave. and when he hasn't, he admits it ("If you can lay your hands on termites in any great numbers, it probably means your house is about to fall down").
Katherine
Apr 24, 2008 Katherine rated it really liked it
A gloriously strange recipe book, worth reading even if you never use any of the recipes. I really enjoyed this book and its premise, which is that you're going to be eating anyway, so why not experience eating to the hilt? In search of culinary epiphanies, the author explores the lowbrow (what foods make people fart?) and the highbrow (how to stage a Roman orgy in the comfort of your own home). The music suggestions are also spot-on.
Maria (Ri)
This book is hilarious! It is truly a wacky look at food. Maybe it is because I am pregnant and due with my second in just a few weeks, but I particularly enjoyed the section on making placenta loaf! LOL Stefan Gates is part foodie, part insane nut. That makes for a great and totally unconventional read!
Randy
For some reason, this book was on my to-read list. After finishing it, I'm wondering why. While there are some strange, but interesting tidbits of information, for the most part, this is a ridiculous book. Maybe that is the point, after all the author does want his audience to play with food.
Ariel
Mar 11, 2008 Ariel rated it it was ok
Some of the ideas are interesting but few of them are practical. The book is held together by its humor and music selections accompanying each recipe. But the recipes themselves are scattered and feel more like trivia. This should have been a Wikipedia article, not a bound book.
Linda
Dec 04, 2010 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: foodie-stuff
Not bad in parts. If you're curious, read the first few pages - either you'll like the authors style or you won't.

Having said that, the reference material in the back is quite interesting, and I'd suggest it for anyone with an interest in the weird and odd of food.
Colleen
May 22, 2009 Colleen rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for an actual cookbook, this probably isn't for you. The author is definitely a little twisted, but this is an absolutely hilarious book. Lots of history on English foods, and some very funny recipes for headcheese and suckling pig.
Nytetyger
Feb 09, 2009 Nytetyger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-challenge
An extremely amusing, yet well written book about odd, interesting, bizarre, and amusing foods. The author never fails to be both entertaining AND educational... although when I am going to need to know how to make head cheese is beyond me.
Wan Ni
Jan 26, 2015 Wan Ni rated it liked it
More essays, less recipes!
But I totally adore the tongue-in-cheek "put vegetable fats in a centrifuge" part when describing how to make margarine at home (if home is a food lab). That sort of humor is right up my alley.
Christopher Ashley
Sep 24, 2007 Christopher Ashley rated it liked it
there some interesting ideas and recipes in here (especially if you're curious about roasting a whole pig) but a lot of the writing is kind of twee and precious and that turns me off some.
Dean
Oct 01, 2008 Dean rated it it was amazing
Funny,Entertaining..wierd as hell.

If you have ever thought about eating Bugs,Toenails,Hair,Human Flesh,or Singing Hinnie this is the book for you.
Chadwick
Jan 01, 2008 Chadwick rated it liked it
Shelves: food
Enh. Decent writing, but too much emphasis on isn't-it-weird without anything being that weird. Maybe carpaccio is crazy in England. Whatever buddy.
Grillables
Sep 25, 2007 Grillables rated it did not like it
Shelves: food
Rather silly book, full of recipes that try too hard to be shocking. Ends up being rather embarrassingly ridiculous instead.
Emery
Oct 10, 2012 Emery rated it liked it
It had its moments, but there were a couple sections that were disgusting just for the gross-factor.
Nate Hendrix
Oct 23, 2015 Nate Hendrix rated it it was amazing
I think I want to cook a suckling pig for Christmas dinner. Inspired by this book.
Dec 16, 2007 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I just can't seem to get enough of arrogant chefs doing kooky things...
PJ
Sep 02, 2007 PJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: eating
Experiments you never thought of doing with your food or your body.
Jessica
Nov 17, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who really love food
I now have the overwhelming desire to roast a suckling pig.
Barbara
May 05, 2013 Barbara rated it did not like it
Shelves: food-books
juvenile and silly book about weird food.
Bmilioto
Sep 04, 2008 Bmilioto rated it it was ok
entertaining but not much more than that
Kit
Jul 20, 2007 Kit rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Cooking out of the box ... or out of the pot...
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Tres Fuerte
Tres Fuerte marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
  • Essentials of Cooking
  • Death by Pad Thai: And Other Unforgettable Meals
  • Take Big Bites: Adventures Around the World and Across the Table
  • Cookoff: Recipe Fever in America
  • Eating for Beginners: An Education in the Pleasures of Food from Chefs, Farmers, and One Picky Kid
  • Horsemen of the Esophagus: Competitive Eating and the Big Fat American Dream
  • Great Good Food: Luscious Lower-Fat Cooking
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • Vegetable Love
  • Patriot Eats!
  • The Rituals of Dinner: The Origins, Evolution, Eccentricities and Meaning of Table Manners
  • America the Edible: A Hungry History, From Sea to Dining Sea