Start by marking “The Harsh Cry Of The Heron” as Want to Read:
The Harsh Cry Of The Heron

The Harsh Cry Of The Heron (Tales of the Otori #4)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,661 Ratings  ·  320 Reviews
Takeo and Kaede have ruled the Three Countries peacefully for over 16 years, following the tumultuous events laid out in the epic "Tales of the Otori." The land and people are peaceable and calm, the world is balanced and Heaven seems to shine upon them. They have three daughters. Shigeko, 15 years old and heir to the vast territory, is developing into a bold warrior with ...more
Paperback
Published by Picador USA (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Harsh Cry Of The Heron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Harsh Cry Of The Heron

Elena
Jun 15, 2007 Elena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Trying to keep an excellent series going beyond the natural end is always complicated. I was optimistic for this one, however, because Lian Hearn has quite a talent for epic storytelling, and the first three Otori books gripped me from about paragraph 2. In this 4th book Hearn brings some of the more historical threads served as a backdrop to the earlier books to the fore in a story that by its own logic really can't end the way the previous did. The era of feudal kingdoms is over. It is an inte ...more
Vaso
Jan 25, 2016 Vaso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best end that this series should have.... Excellent work!!!!
Nancy
Mar 03, 2012 Nancy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So disappointing! I tore into this book after devouring the original trilogy, but finished the story feeling that my enjoyment of these characters was now compromised. While the story was compelling, I felt the behavior and decisions of some of the main characters were inconsistent with their personas in the first books, thus creating pivotal scenarios that left me questioning the strength of their personas so beautifully developed in the previous books.

As much as I wanted to know the conclusio
Vic
Aug 11, 2009 Vic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I might have given this volume a five star rating for the second half of the story. I thought of all the books, including Book 5, this was the slowest to get going. Actually, it was almost uninteresting enough to stop reading and it was only the desire to complete the cycle that I persevered.

As the story unfolded and the intrigue began to take shape I think Lian Hearn started firing on all cylinders. I absolutely loved the development of Takeo and Kaede's daughter, Shigeko, and the role she cam
Reina
Jun 09, 2011 Reina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: peeps interested in Japan, or traditional cultural myths of Japan, fuedal Japan
Wow...
What a way to finish the tale of the Otori, 16 years after the 'happy ever after', Lian Hearn truly did capture the essence of Japanese tales in all it's tragic beauty coupled with the usual innter turmoils of emotions in relation to their roles and duties in their daily lives.
To be honest, the ending left me curious to see 'what happened next', thus I have some affinity to the characters throughout the tales.

Best of all, I suppose, the author protrayed the beauty and tragedy that is human
Becca
Sep 11, 2011 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is what I was afraid of. I loved and was extremely satisfied with the trilogy, particularly its bitter-sweet ending. It just felt right. I should have stopped there. Then there was this book, which was much more bitter than sweet in so many ways. Yet with all the bitterness in this book, it was incredibly well done and I don't regret reading it.

Sixteen years has come and gone since the end of the last book. All the characters I came to know in the trilogy are old, still viable in a lot of w
Alina
Oct 04, 2015 Alina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the weakest in the series: not enough attention for the development of the characters (much could have been added about the three girls, about Hisao and some others), new tribe skills introduced but not explained (cat possession, ghost mastership, Miki's unnamed talent), some characters left without an ending (as Shizuka, Kahei's family, Madaren), inconsistent behavior (view spoiler) ...more
Isaura
May 17, 2012 Isaura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leidos-2012
Cuando una historia se basa en una profecía es difícil sorprenderse del final.. sin embargo este libro me dejó un sabor "raro" de boca.. fue un final triste como solo las buenas leyendas lo pueden tener..

Una historia de amor legendaria, con subidas y bajadas y solo la pérdida de la confianza lo puede destruir.. Mi personaje favorito: Shizuka, no importa que pasaba ella supo mantener su sonrisa hasta que el dolor la destruyó y aún así logro convertirse en parte de los personajes legendarios..

El q
Halcyon
I always find it incredibly hard to review, or even rate, a book I read as a child, because, first, how much of said book do I really remember? But most importantly, how much of what I remember feeling about this book is actually the book's doing, and how much is just nostalgia?

I read The Harsh Cry of the Heron when I was in high school. It certainly wasn't my favourite book, and it wasn't the first one I read that made me cry. But it's the book that introduced me to bitter endings.

My uncle had
Diane
Feb 21, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved the rest of this series, but because of the repeated prophecy of the death of the protagonist, I have dreaded the end of this book, and completely put it down for about ten days, in the middle. Lord Otori Takeo is a likeable character, with serious flaws more than compensated by his strength of character: he has a strong sense of justice and has established the rule of law, a vision of peace which he has accomplished and maintained for fifteen years, and cares about the fate of all ...more
Ndahdien Ramadhan
Fuihh.....makin seru aja nih cerita Lord Otori Takeo dan keluarganya. Setelah lumayan jelek di Klan Otori II dan meningkat lagi di Klan Otori III tapi dengan ending yang kurang memuaskan, akhirnya di seri IV ini semuanya terbayar. (yah walopun cape' mata n cape' tangan coz bukunya tuebell). Dibuku ke-IV ini bercerita tentang pengkhianatan, kepercayaan, perkembangan anak-anak takeo, kisah cinta shigeko (cinta yg tidak bisa terucapkan) yang sangat menyentuh dan kematian-kematian yang tragis.

Anak-a
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Apa jadinya kalau kisah Cinderella berlanjut (diakhir kisah Cinderella, akhirnya ia menikah dengan Pangeran pujaan hatinya kan) ??
description
Kalau misalnya kisah Cinderella berlanjut, aku kira..baru mengira... akhir kisahnya bukan lagi (mungkin).. and they lived happily ever after.. sama seperti kisah yang terjadi antara Takeo dan Kaede..
description

Mereka memang akhirnya bisa bersama, mereka menikah, menjadi penguasa, punya anak..tapi.. :”( ada kecemburuan, ada intrik politik yang semuanya bermuara pada langgengn
Miglė Keliotytė
Phew. Finally.
Ioritzmoreno
Sep 18, 2014 Ioritzmoreno rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
Desde el momento en el que terminé el tercer libro supe que este no me gustaría. Temía leer el triste final que esperaba desde que se supo la profecía. Y aun así a sido todavía mucho más triste de lo que me podría haber imaginado.

De todos modos, durante toda la lectura mi único pensamiento era saber qué ocurría con los personajes, casi carecía de importancia el resto. Me parece que la mitad de las páginas sobran, el libro podría haber sido igual de intenso que el tercero de ser así.

El personaj
Fiona Van
Oct 05, 2009 Fiona Van rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walter Underwood
I'll try do do this without spoilers, though the major flaws in this book are storytelling and plot.

There were ominous overtones early on, so I decided I was OK if everything just fell apart, after all, that is how the Heiki Monogatari ends. I'm not saying it ends that way, but I was prepared.

I was not prepared for it to be boring and confusing. People head out to various places for various reasons and if you don't already know where Hagi and Hofu are in relation to each other, too bad, because
Annie
Aug 14, 2008 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trisno
May 24, 2010 Trisno rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punya-kawan
Setelah perjuangan berat yang dilalui oleh Takeo dan Kaedee, mereka akhirnya menjadi sebuah keluarga yang bahagia selam 16 tahun, hidup dalam kedamaian dan rakyat yang makmur.

Memiliki seorang putri yang mewarisi kecantikan Kaedee dan juga 2 putri kembar yang sangat berpengaruh dalam buku kali ini.

Arai Zenko yang mejadi suami Hana (adik Kaedee), anak dari Sizuka, kakak Taku, akhirnya menghianti Takeo ketika dia sedang pergi menghadap kaisar penguasa 8 pulau. Penghiatannya ditandai dengan pembunu
Haidn
Mar 13, 2011 Haidn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fadilah
Dec 07, 2010 Fadilah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
pertama kali baca, pasti langsung tahu siapa yang akan mati dalam buku ini. Sejujurnya, saya lebih suka kisah si kembar Maya dan Miki, juga Shigeko. Buku keempat ini, kalau saya lihat, seakan buku Breaking Dawn dari Stephanie Meyer. Cerita yang sudah tamat di buku ketiga malah dilanjutkan lagi. Apalagi buku terakhir dari kisah Klan Otori ini merupakan yang paling tebal. Cukup lama saya membacanya, tidak seperti biasa. Seakan kisah ini kehilangan gaya magnetisme-nya.

Harus diakui sebenarnya saya t
Kristin
Oct 12, 2011 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first three books of the Tales of the Otori series, but I don't think I can ever reread this one. It wasn't that it was poorly written, because it still maintained the lovely style of prose that the other three had. But, because of the 'prophecy' that was given at the start of the series, Hearn was forced to break the characters out of their predefined personalities. To have the prophecy come true, certain characters had to act out of character. When they've been defined in a certain ...more
oliviasbooks
I will make an exception and leave this unfinished one (I had reached page 63) unrated. I have not been displeased with its entertainment value at all when I was reading its first chapters, but whenever I had a chance to pick it up and continue I decided to read something else each time. The hauntingly beautiful eyes on the cover have started to look at me with reproach and the battered second hand volume seems to pop up unexpectedly all over the place to remind me of my lack of discipline and s ...more
Maryanne
Apr 25, 2016 Maryanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As per the first three Tales of the Otori, beautiful writing, gripping and strange characters, lots of landscape interwoven with action, BUT...! I was very unhappy with what the author did dramatically.
Don't read anymore of this review if you haven't read, or wish to re-read, as there will be spoilers!
So (view spoiler)
Tristan Mestroni
Harsh Cry is right. I have very mixed feelings about this book. I'd read the previous three books in this accomplished series and was a big fan. Hearn has done her research, the stories and characters are so believable and so deep that you're never quite sure if you're reading history that the world forgot or a fantasy story. The lines blur even closer in this iteration.

Anyone that has read the previous three books knows that there was always room to be another book but I kind of wish there had
Trish
Oct 26, 2014 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich weiß nicht mehr genau, wann ich das Buch gelesen habe (habe erst jetzt gesehen, dass ich vergessen hatte, die Bewertung hier zu posten), aber es war ziemlich bald nach seinem Erscheinen in deutschen Buchhandlungen und auch in diesem Band war ich von der ersten Seite an gefesselt.
Mir war zwar klar, dass jetzt der Zeitpunkt für das Eintreffen all der düsteren Prophezeiungen gekommen war, aber der Weg dorthin war trotzdem erneut spannend, voller Emotionen, teilweise doch überraschend und einfa
Blake Charlton
Jan 24, 2010 Blake Charlton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
slow at first and difficult for me to get into after having read (and loved) the first three books years and years ago. most everything that happened alluded back to an event in the previous work, which at times helped jog my memory, at times made the work feel derivative. but the ending was powerful and touching, reaffirming my belief that Lian Hearn (aka Gillian Rubinstein) is a master of her craft!
Randall Decker
Maia Moore
Jan 21, 2015 Maia Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original review posted here.

Ooo I have been so conflicted during this reread. As a huge fan of the series, when this sequel to the original trilogy came out I devoured it. But it's not as easy a read as the other books and it doesn't have the ending that some fans might want. I'm not really a fan of a happy ending - I prefer the bitter sweet - but this one is almost soul crushing.

It's a long book and weaves in many different plot threads - Takeo trying to control the Three Countries through peac
AJ
May 01, 2011 AJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tsk-tsk, 2011
WHY DID EVERYONE HAVE TO DIE?! TURN THE PAGE AND BANG EVERYONE'S DEAD!! Loved it, couldn't turn the pages faster! (:
Njeeri
Jun 30, 2014 Njeeri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers Alert!!

As the last book in the Tales of the Otori, it made for an interesting read. If there was one thing that stood out in all these books was the vivid description of seasons in Japan throughout the book - all of them in fact. Everything revolves around the seasons. The elements are used to predict circumstances and events in the book -as was the case with my culture back then. However, there had been such drama and fast paced action in the previous books that lacked in this one till
  • Jembatan Musim Gugur (Samurai, #2)
  • Pirate Wars (The Wave Walkers, #3)
  • Apollo's Song, Part One
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2)
  • Beyond the Blossoming Fields
  • The Pure Land
  • Red Chrysanthemum (Sano Ichiro, #11)
  • Krigarhjärta (Blodsarvet, #1)
  • Mirror Sword and Shadow Prince (Tales of the Magatama, #2)
  • The 47 Ronin Story
  • The Last Concubine
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - Parte 1 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 1)
  • Disciple of the Wind (Fated Blades, #3)
  • The Road of Bones
  • The Given & The Taken (Tooth and Claw, #1)
Lian Hearn's beloved Tales of the Otori series, set in an imagined feudal Japan, has sold more than four million copies worldwide and has been translated into nearly forty languages. It is comprised of five volumes: ACROSS THE NIGHTINGALE FLOOR, GRASS FOR HIS PILLOW, BRILLIANCE OF THE MOON, THE HARSH CRY OF THE HERON and HEAVEN'S NET IS WIDE. The series was followed by two standalone novels, BLOSS ...more
More about Lian Hearn...

Tales of the Otori (5 books)
  • Heaven's Net is Wide (Tales of the Otori, #0)
  • Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1)
  • Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2)
  • Brilliance of the Moon (Tales of the Otori, #3)

“...What does the blessing of heaven mean? We know the kirin is just an animal, not a mythical creature."
It has become a symbol now.... That is the way human beings deal with the world.”
12 likes