Start by marking “The Harsh Cry Of The Heron” as Want to Read:
The Harsh Cry Of The Heron

The Harsh Cry Of The Heron (Tales of the Otori #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  7,764 ratings  ·  300 reviews
Takeo and Kaede have ruled the Three Countries peacefully for over 16 years, following the tumultuous events laid out in the epic "Tales of the Otori." The land and people are peaceable and calm, the world is balanced and Heaven seems to shine upon them. They have three daughters. Shigeko, 15 years old and heir to the vast territory, is developing into a bold warrior with ...more
Paperback
Published by Picador USA (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Harsh Cry Of The Heron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Harsh Cry Of The Heron

Elena
Trying to keep an excellent series going beyond the natural end is always complicated. I was optimistic for this one, however, because Lian Hearn has quite a talent for epic storytelling, and the first three Otori books gripped me from about paragraph 2. In this 4th book Hearn brings some of the more historical threads served as a backdrop to the earlier books to the fore in a story that by its own logic really can't end the way the previous did. The era of feudal kingdoms is over. It is an inte ...more
Nancy
So disappointing! I tore into this book after devouring the original trilogy, but finished the story feeling that my enjoyment of these characters was now compromised. While the story was compelling, I felt the behavior and decisions of some of the main characters were inconsistent with their personas in the first books, thus creating pivotal scenarios that left me questioning the strength of their personas so beautifully developed in the previous books.

As much as I wanted to know the conclusio
Becca
This is what I was afraid of. I loved and was extremely satisfied with the trilogy, particularly its bitter-sweet ending. It just felt right. I should have stopped there. Then there was this book, which was much more bitter than sweet in so many ways. Yet with all the bitterness in this book, it was incredibly well done and I don't regret reading it.

Sixteen years has come and gone since the end of the last book. All the characters I came to know in the trilogy are old, still viable in a lot of w
Vic
I might have given this volume a five star rating for the second half of the story. I thought of all the books, including Book 5, this was the slowest to get going. Actually, it was almost uninteresting enough to stop reading and it was only the desire to complete the cycle that I persevered.

As the story unfolded and the intrigue began to take shape I think Lian Hearn started firing on all cylinders. I absolutely loved the development of Takeo and Kaede's daughter, Shigeko, and the role she cam
Isaura
Cuando una historia se basa en una profecía es difícil sorprenderse del final.. sin embargo este libro me dejó un sabor "raro" de boca.. fue un final triste como solo las buenas leyendas lo pueden tener..

Una historia de amor legendaria, con subidas y bajadas y solo la pérdida de la confianza lo puede destruir.. Mi personaje favorito: Shizuka, no importa que pasaba ella supo mantener su sonrisa hasta que el dolor la destruyó y aún así logro convertirse en parte de los personajes legendarios..

El q
Reina
Jun 09, 2011 Reina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: peeps interested in Japan, or traditional cultural myths of Japan, fuedal Japan
Wow...
What a way to finish the tale of the Otori, 16 years after the 'happy ever after', Lian Hearn truly did capture the essence of Japanese tales in all it's tragic beauty coupled with the usual innter turmoils of emotions in relation to their roles and duties in their daily lives.
To be honest, the ending left me curious to see 'what happened next', thus I have some affinity to the characters throughout the tales.

Best of all, I suppose, the author protrayed the beauty and tragedy that is human
Halcyon
I always find it incredibly hard to review, or even rate, a book I read as a child, because, first, how much of said book do I really remember? But most importantly, how much of what I remember feeling about this book is actually the book's doing, and how much is just nostalgia?

I read The Harsh Cry of the Heron when I was in high school. It certainly wasn't my favourite book, and it wasn't the first one I read that made me cry. But it's the book that introduced me to bitter endings.

My uncle had
Ndahdien Ramadhan
Fuihh.....makin seru aja nih cerita Lord Otori Takeo dan keluarganya. Setelah lumayan jelek di Klan Otori II dan meningkat lagi di Klan Otori III tapi dengan ending yang kurang memuaskan, akhirnya di seri IV ini semuanya terbayar. (yah walopun cape' mata n cape' tangan coz bukunya tuebell). Dibuku ke-IV ini bercerita tentang pengkhianatan, kepercayaan, perkembangan anak-anak takeo, kisah cinta shigeko (cinta yg tidak bisa terucapkan) yang sangat menyentuh dan kematian-kematian yang tragis.

Anak-a
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Apa jadinya kalau kisah Cinderella berlanjut (diakhir kisah Cinderella, akhirnya ia menikah dengan Pangeran pujaan hatinya kan) ??
description
Kalau misalnya kisah Cinderella berlanjut, aku kira..baru mengira... akhir kisahnya bukan lagi (mungkin).. and they lived happily ever after.. sama seperti kisah yang terjadi antara Takeo dan Kaede..
description

Mereka memang akhirnya bisa bersama, mereka menikah, menjadi penguasa, punya anak..tapi.. :”( ada kecemburuan, ada intrik politik yang semuanya bermuara pada langgengn
Vaso
The best end that this series should have.... Excellent work!!!!
Ioritzmoreno
Desde el momento en el que terminé el tercer libro supe que este no me gustaría. Temía leer el triste final que esperaba desde que se supo la profecía. Y aun así a sido todavía mucho más triste de lo que me podría haber imaginado.

De todos modos, durante toda la lectura mi único pensamiento era saber qué ocurría con los personajes, casi carecía de importancia el resto. Me parece que la mitad de las páginas sobran, el libro podría haber sido igual de intenso que el tercero de ser así.

El personaj
Fiona Van
Walter Underwood
I'll try do do this without spoilers, though the major flaws in this book are storytelling and plot.

There were ominous overtones early on, so I decided I was OK if everything just fell apart, after all, that is how the Heiki Monogatari ends. I'm not saying it ends that way, but I was prepared.

I was not prepared for it to be boring and confusing. People head out to various places for various reasons and if you don't already know where Hagi and Hofu are in relation to each other, too bad, because
Annie
Trisno
Setelah perjuangan berat yang dilalui oleh Takeo dan Kaedee, mereka akhirnya menjadi sebuah keluarga yang bahagia selam 16 tahun, hidup dalam kedamaian dan rakyat yang makmur.

Memiliki seorang putri yang mewarisi kecantikan Kaedee dan juga 2 putri kembar yang sangat berpengaruh dalam buku kali ini.

Arai Zenko yang mejadi suami Hana (adik Kaedee), anak dari Sizuka, kakak Taku, akhirnya menghianti Takeo ketika dia sedang pergi menghadap kaisar penguasa 8 pulau. Penghiatannya ditandai dengan pembunu
Haidn
Diane
I have loved the rest of this series, but because of the repeated prophecy of the death of the protagonist, I have dreaded the end of this book, and completely put it down for about ten days, in the middle. Lord Otori Takeo is a likeable character, with serious flaws more than compensated by his strength of character: he has a strong sense of justice and has established the rule of law, a vision of peace which he has accomplished and maintained for fifteen years, and cares about the fate of all ...more
Fadilah
pertama kali baca, pasti langsung tahu siapa yang akan mati dalam buku ini. Sejujurnya, saya lebih suka kisah si kembar Maya dan Miki, juga Shigeko. Buku keempat ini, kalau saya lihat, seakan buku Breaking Dawn dari Stephanie Meyer. Cerita yang sudah tamat di buku ketiga malah dilanjutkan lagi. Apalagi buku terakhir dari kisah Klan Otori ini merupakan yang paling tebal. Cukup lama saya membacanya, tidak seperti biasa. Seakan kisah ini kehilangan gaya magnetisme-nya.

Harus diakui sebenarnya saya t
Kristin
I loved the first three books of the Tales of the Otori series, but I don't think I can ever reread this one. It wasn't that it was poorly written, because it still maintained the lovely style of prose that the other three had. But, because of the 'prophecy' that was given at the start of the series, Hearn was forced to break the characters out of their predefined personalities. To have the prophecy come true, certain characters had to act out of character. When they've been defined in a certain ...more
oliviasbooks
I will make an exception and leave this unfinished one (I had reached page 63) unrated. I have not been displeased with its entertainment value at all when I was reading its first chapters, but whenever I had a chance to pick it up and continue I decided to read something else each time. The hauntingly beautiful eyes on the cover have started to look at me with reproach and the battered second hand volume seems to pop up unexpectedly all over the place to remind me of my lack of discipline and s ...more
Tristan Mestroni
Harsh Cry is right. I have very mixed feelings about this book. I'd read the previous three books in this accomplished series and was a big fan. Hearn has done her research, the stories and characters are so believable and so deep that you're never quite sure if you're reading history that the world forgot or a fantasy story. The lines blur even closer in this iteration.

Anyone that has read the previous three books knows that there was always room to be another book but I kind of wish there had
Trish
Ich weiß nicht mehr genau, wann ich das Buch gelesen habe (habe erst jetzt gesehen, dass ich vergessen hatte, die Bewertung hier zu posten), aber es war ziemlich bald nach seinem Erscheinen in deutschen Buchhandlungen und auch in diesem Band war ich von der ersten Seite an gefesselt.
Mir war zwar klar, dass jetzt der Zeitpunkt für das Eintreffen all der düsteren Prophezeiungen gekommen war, aber der Weg dorthin war trotzdem erneut spannend, voller Emotionen, teilweise doch überraschend und einfa
Blake Charlton
slow at first and difficult for me to get into after having read (and loved) the first three books years and years ago. most everything that happened alluded back to an event in the previous work, which at times helped jog my memory, at times made the work feel derivative. but the ending was powerful and touching, reaffirming my belief that Lian Hearn (aka Gillian Rubinstein) is a master of her craft!
Randall Decker
Maia Moore
Original review posted here.

Ooo I have been so conflicted during this reread. As a huge fan of the series, when this sequel to the original trilogy came out I devoured it. But it's not as easy a read as the other books and it doesn't have the ending that some fans might want. I'm not really a fan of a happy ending - I prefer the bitter sweet - but this one is almost soul crushing.

It's a long book and weaves in many different plot threads - Takeo trying to control the Three Countries through peac
AJ
WHY DID EVERYONE HAVE TO DIE?! TURN THE PAGE AND BANG EVERYONE'S DEAD!! Loved it, couldn't turn the pages faster! (:
Njeeri
Spoilers Alert!!

As the last book in the Tales of the Otori, it made for an interesting read. If there was one thing that stood out in all these books was the vivid description of seasons in Japan throughout the book - all of them in fact. Everything revolves around the seasons. The elements are used to predict circumstances and events in the book -as was the case with my culture back then. However, there had been such drama and fast paced action in the previous books that lacked in this one till
Brandy
Out of the 4 books this one I felt was slower then the rest. I found it hard to get into the story unlike the other 3 books. At first I thought it was because I didn't want the series to end but as I kept on reading I found that it was the story I just couldn't get into it as I did the others.

I am not going to go much into details but over all this book was okay, I think it was lacking in some areas, but then in others it was good. It is hard to say, all I can say is that I do wish there was a l
Raposo

Nice way to finish the saga, although it does not compare with the the first two books.
The story unravels with a slow pace trough 2/3 of the book, although Lian manages to keep it interesting with an amazing setting and atmosphere, and excellent character growth.

[maybe SPOILERS]
The pace finally starts to get more intense (and tense) in the last 1/3, and the author manages to create an excellent build up only to ruin everything with a rushed and unsatisfactory ending.

[DEFINETELY SPOILERS]
Come
Matty
I knew that this book would break my heart. The more I read, the more I could foresee the destruction of everything dear to me at the end of the book. In a way, the story of this last instalment is an exploration of death, disappointment, tragedy, and suffering like the one we've seen with lord Shigeru and lady Maruyama of the first book. It was such a sharp flash-back to that time I knew the bright future at the start would unravel with the tragic intensity of Japanese, Chinese, and Korean dram ...more
  • Jembatan Musim Gugur (Samurai, #2)
  • Pirate Emperor (The Wave Walkers, #2)
  • The Pure Land
  • Taiko: An Epic Novel of War and Glory in Feudal Japan
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2)
  • Beyond the Blossoming Fields
  • The 47 Ronin Story
  • Krigarhjärta (Blodsarvet, #1)
  • The Secrets of Jin-shei (Jin-Shei, #1)
  • Mr Loverman
  • The Last Concubine
  • Mirror Sword and Shadow Prince (Tales of the Magatama, #2)
  • Black Lotus (Sano Ichiro, #6)
  • O Despertar da Magia (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #4)
  • Moonshadow: Rise of the Ninja (Moonshadow, #1)
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - Parte 1 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 1)

Tales of the Otori (4 books)
  • Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1)
  • Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2)
  • Brilliance of the Moon (Tales of the Otori, #3)
Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1) Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2) Brilliance of the Moon (Tales of the Otori, #3) Heaven's Net is Wide (Tales of the Otori, #0) The Tales of the Otori Trilogy

“...What does the blessing of heaven mean? We know the kirin is just an animal, not a mythical creature."
It has become a symbol now.... That is the way human beings deal with the world.”
10 likes