Hot Flash

Hot Flash

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  45 reviews

On Jill Morgan Storm's fortieth birthday, she declares she is through with love. A conviction well justified, considering her first husband didn't leave her for another woman; he became one! More recently, her love affair came to a screeching halt when her lover dumped her for a young undergraduate. To make matters worse, the teeny-bopper stole Jill's "well-seasoned" fryin

Published February 1st 2009 by Medallion Press (first published 2009)

Effie
This had waaaay too much going on. A teenage son who spoke in French, a sex-changing ex, a gaggle of girlfriends, dad in prison and mom in denial, the requisite cute love interest that she thinks is wrong for her, a sub plot about a cast iron skillet. That's like four different books right there! It's like the author couldn't decide what plot she wanted to write about and just threw them all in one gigantic chick-lit attempt.

The main character's determination to find a husband so that she could...more
Vicki Hinze
This book had a killer first line that I'll remember forever. And what happens with the heroine's skillet is priceless. I wholeheartedly enjoyed this novel.
Suzie Quint
Jane Stewart
The intent is humor through someone’s dating, job and family frustrations, but it wasn’t my kind of humor.

STORY BRIEF:
The entire story is told in first person from Jill’s point of view. It’s about her frustrations in her job and searching for a husband. Her son Stephen is a senior in high school. Jill has no money to pay Stephen’s college expenses, and she doesn’t want to saddle him with student loans. She wants to marry a traveling salesman who will be gone a lot and provide money for college....more
Dianne
Hot Flash by Kathy Carmichael

Jill Morgen Storm is on the hunt for a man. Specifically a salesman so she can live by the adage that “absence makes the heart grow fonder” or some such folderol (think three weeks of travel and one week of Mind Blowing Sex ( Or MBS as Jill calls it)! True to the romance genre and its formula, Jill is down on men due to past relationships, is perky, cute, and funny and has lovely breasts and a teen-age son with issues but is brilliant in the arts. She has an interest...more
Jackie
Hot FlashHot Flash by Kathy Carmichael

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My first book by author Kathy Carmichael and for me Hot Flash was a winner!

Jill Storm is a forty year old divorced mother of a 17 year old son who is just a little bit eccentric, he only speaks French (mostly) when he decides to speak at all and as a single mother holding down a full time job Jill has all she can do to make ends meet for her and Stephen.

To make matters worse her ex-husband is now their son's "other mother" due to a sex chang...more
Christy

Sous chef Jill Morgan Storm, hoping to discover the secret of successful relationships, gets the bright idea to send out a “Marriage Satisfaction Survey” to couples who have been together for a good while. Jill’s reeling from being dumped by her most recent lover, a college professor now dating one of his young students who won’t let loose of Jill’s favorite skillet. If that isn’t bad enough, Jill’s ready to hit panic mode. Her son will be entering college soon, and since his grades won’t qualif...more
Romancing the Book
When Kathy contacted me about being a guest on the blog she also asked about a review. She sent me an advanced copy and I read it... and really enjoyed it. But I forgot to write the review. Oops! And then it's time for her promo, and the review still wasn't written. So, here it is a good two months after reading the book (and with many books read since) and I'm wracking my brains to explain how I felt about the book.

I do remember being hesitant when I started. Kathy herself labeled the book as M...more
drey
Anyway, I finally picked it up. Needed something lighter after the recent fare I've been reading... What can I say, I LOVED it. It fit my mood perfectly, and provided exactly what I was looking for - humor, sass, a very likable main character, and an actual storyline. Sure, it didn't require a lot of thinking, but that's what made this just perfect. =) I mean, how could you resist a book that starts out with "Birthdays are like a box of Tampax."? I snorted. Really.

Hot Flash tells the story of Ji...more
Angela
Hot Flash is a novel about turning 40 from a woman's point of view. She struggles with premenopause symptoms, a son who will soon be needing college tuition and divorce. Her personal life is a mess and she decides to send out a survey asking women the secret to a successful marriage. The survey answers then give her insight into what she wants and needs in a relationship.
This novel is essentially a romance novel but is very humorous and deals with middle age in an entertaining way I thouroughl...more
Leah St. James
Aug 22, 2011 Leah St. James rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers of contemporary romance
Single parent Jill schemes to marry a rich husband (who will be away from home long enough to stay out of her hair, and home enough to keep her sexually sated) so her son can attend art school. As a parent who's co-signed enough student loans for her kids to compete with the national debt (in percentages), I had a little trouble empathizing with Jill's dilemma. Still, I enjoyed reading her escapades as she came to the realization that perhaps her plan wasn't the wisest. I enjoyed as well the int...more
Amanda
This is a funny book with a tiny bit of seriousness thrown in. Jill is desperate to find a way to pay for her son's college education, so she decides the best way to do that is to marry someone who can afford the tuition. But he has to be someone who is rarely home, or the marriage will never survive. In the meantime, her son's former teacher keeps showing up, and she's determined NOT to fall for him, because he most definitely can not afford college tuition. It's funny reading about her dealing...more
Kristin
This was a far cry from her novel "Diary of a Confessions Queen." That book was so fun and entertaining, I emailed the author to let her know. This one was just one huge disappointment.

The plot was absolutely ridiculous. In a desperate attempt to find MBS (mind-blowing sex) and college tuition for her son, the main character starts dating only traveling salesman so she'll only have to see them like one week a month if they are married.

I have little to say that is positive about this book. I di...more
Mary
This was a lot of fun to read. Jill is a sous chef and single mom of a 17 year old son, Stephen. She just turned forty and is having a midlife crisis. Her son befriends his former teacher, Davin. Davin is one good looking teacher. Jill is trying to ignore her attraction to the teacher. There are problems at work for Jill, problems with her parents, and a series of hilarious dates with salesmen. She has a trio of best friends who seem realistic. She also has an ex husband who is different. What t...more
M Anna
Aug 25, 2011 M Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to M by: kindle freebie
As a forty something, divorced female, raising a teenage son, I could really relate to Jill.

Jill has this ideal of the perfect man for her to marry and she goes looking for him. But, maybe the perfect man for her is the one who keeps stopping by her apartment unexpected. Her journey to find the perfect man is hilarious, her finds are adorable and her son is gonna be okay.

I found myself laughing out loud several times.

Loved the book.
Nell
I almost gave up on this half way through, it was so slow and the heroine is so whiney and wingey. I was convinced at one point that the hero was about to announce he was gay and run off with the heroines mentally deficient teenage son. This was painful, slow and painful - full of loose ends and plot holes and an unrealistic everything is fabulous in the space of ten pages ending. Only read if in a masochistic mood.
Kirsten Micknicz
Maybe it's my age, but I really enjoyed this book. Pretty early on, I kind of guessed what the outcome would be, but I thoroughly enjoyed getting there.

The 'hot flashes' that the main character kept having and her way (or her friends way) of getting rid of them had me laughing out loud.

This was a very easy, funny and enjoyable read.
Melissa
This was okay but I found it cluttered with too many characters and issues in the main story line. I liked where the author was headed in some aspects with this woman's 40's life and how she felt but then was pulled away by too many other little things that muddled the story. Cute but just not my type of book.
Leslie
Aug 28, 2011 Leslie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone needing a little humor
This was a very light read though it took me 14 days to read it. I found it very funny at times and it really helped me to loosen up during a stressful time at work. the moral of the story is that sometimes you get so focused on what you think you need that you don't recognize what you really have.
Marilyn
This is my first book by this author. This was a very enjoyable read. I liked the storyline and the characters are very likeable. It moved smoothly and had many humorous incidents as well as serious moments. Will read more by this author.
Mickey
take a 40 year old single mom chef, her teenaged son, a hot teacher who annoys her, dreanged parents, several loyal girlfriends, and plan to find the right man via surveys sent out to women with long marriages, and you get ONE entertainng read!
Carrie
It was a cute little romance featuring Chef Jill Morgan Storm. I did enjoy a story where the heroine is middle aged instead of a really young woman. Makes for some more fun. The supporting characters were well fleshed out as well.
Christina
Very funny book. I could relate "somewhat" because she had turned the "Big" 4-0 like I just did. She had me laughing right along with her at her friends, at her co-workers & especially her family. Good gawd, it was too funny.
Bonnie
I'll keep this short. I stopped reading after the first chapter. The author tries way too hard to be funny. The writing didn't seem very professional at all. In the end life is just too short to waste time on bad writing.
Janet Miller
Overall I enjoyed this book. The only problem I had with it was the overused "flipping forty" every time she mentioned her age (fairly often in the beginning and brought back in the end).
Angie
I really liked this romance. I especially liked that the main characters were middle-aged- the chemistry was good and the plot was believable. I would read more by this author.
CaroB
I liked the humour in the writing style, but the characters were only so-so. Thought it was great for a freebie, but would like to try another by this author.
Lee
I don't normally go for romance novels but I'd read 'Diary of a Confessions Queen' by the same author and really enjoyed it so I picked this one up.
Trish Leja-Bloom
borrowed this from Lendle, didn't really get into it. Before I knew it my loan was up. Oh well, many more books to read.
Elizabeth
A light breezy read. I found some of the story lines very improbable, but hey, it's a romance, right?

• Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Cry Uncle
  • Hawks Mountain
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Stars Collide (Backstage Pass, #1)
  • Simmer All Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #1)
  • Dear Cupid
  • A Dixie Christmas
  • A Kiss of Adventure (Treasures of the Heart #1)
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)
  • Searching For Meredith Love
  • Delivery
  • Legacy
  • Bridleton
  • Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #1)
  • All Through the Night
  • Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery #1)
  • Falling Star
Award-winning author, Kathy Carmichael, writes mysteries, women's fiction and romance. Her 2009 release, HOT FLASH, was named by the American Library Association's BOOKLIST as one of the Top 10 Romance Fiction titles for 2009. Her latest release (and her first mystery novel), DIARY OF A CONFESSIONS QUEEN, received a starred review from BOOKLIST.

She lives on Florida's west coast, along with her hus...more
More about Kathy Carmichael...
Kissing Kelli  (Texas Legacy Romantic Comedy, #1) Angel Be Good Diary of a Confessions Queen Chasing Charlie (The Texas Two-Step, #1) Your Magic Touch