Start by marking “NPR Holiday Favorites” as Want to Read:
NPR Holiday Favorites

NPR Holiday Favorites

David Sedaris contributes his now classic “Santaland Diaries,” his account of his experiences playing Santa’s little helper at Macy’s in New York.
Susan Stamberg sneaks her mother-in-law’s recipe for cranberry relish onto the air—again.
Storyteller Kevin Kling finds an invitation to participate in a production of The Nutcracker too tempting to resist.
Ghanian-born commentator
Audio CD, Abridged, 1 page
Published October 14th 2008 by HighBridge Company

To ask other readers questions about NPR Holiday Favorites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NPR Holiday Favorites

Molly
Jun 27, 2015 Molly rated it really liked it
A possibly odd pick for an afternoon in June, it was the intersection of the following that lead me to choose this book. 1) It was a short-ish audio book available on through my library's subscription to Overdrive/Georgia Download Destination. 2) Well, I needed a book for my "centers around a holiday" square for my Books on the Nightstand BINGO card challenge and my Pop Sugar 2015 reading challenge. 3) It's NPR, I know it's probably going to be MORE enjoyable in audio format.

It was a good cozy c
Ally
Dec 21, 2015 Ally rated it really liked it
Being an NPR audiobook, this felt just like I was listening to a holidays-only episode of All Things Considered. Authors read essays on Thanksgiving, Hanukkah (there's an essay about the variety of spelling and why they exist), Christmas, and Kwanzaa. Some will make you laugh out loud, some will pull at the heartstrings, and some may even make you tear up. One of my favorites was an ode to the lebkuchen (a cookie with "the denseness of an anvil and the half-life of a radial tire") from "cowboy p ...more
Christine
I'm not exactly sure why this is considered an audiobook, but apparently it is -- it's filed with the audiobooks in the library and has an ISBN and everything, but it's really just a collection of holiday broadcasts from various NPR shows. My feelings are split on this one. There were quite a few heart-warming stories that I really enjoyed, but some of the others that were supposed to be funny fell a bit flat for me. David Sedaris' Santaland Diaries is always a good one, but I skipped it on here ...more
Nancy
Oct 23, 2015 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, hanaka
This is an audio book with programs from the radio show NPR. Some of the stories make fun of traditions. There are Jewish stories, and mixed Christian/Jewish marriages, with the combining of traditions. The stories were enjoyable.
Laura Ellison
Dec 11, 2015 Laura Ellison rated it liked it
Some of the stories were entertaining, some I questioned why they were included at all. Many had more to do with thanksgiving than any of the religious holidays.
Mrs. Schonour
Dec 23, 2015 Mrs. Schonour rated it liked it
A cute and quick audiobook for the holidays.
Donna
Jan 01, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it
Great fun.....my last holiday book. Lot's of the wonderful little chatty and interesting radio stories NPR is known for... The Santaland Diaries by David Sedaris was my favorite.
Relyn
Jul 27, 2013 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: NPR fans
Recommended to Relyn by: I love NPR.
Shelves: audiobooks
Every July I get a little Christmas urge. The urge was filled this year via this excellent collection. It was funny, sweet, and poignant. I'll listen to my favorites again in a few months. I think my very favorite was Christmas Candles by Jay O'Callaghan.
Jen
Feb 08, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
great listen :) although weird to listen to xmas/holiday stories in february.
Jen
Dec 01, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
A few cute stories.
Nicole Marble
Nov 16, 2013 Nicole Marble rated it it was amazing
Love this too!
Jennifer Josephs
Jennifer Josephs rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Ashley Fournier
Ashley Fournier rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Anna
Anna added it
Mar 04, 2016
Dezsea
Dezsea added it
Feb 05, 2016
Cara
Cara rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Katy
Katy rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Nadzirah
Nadzirah marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Willie Swinerton
Willie Swinerton rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Mandy France
Mandy France rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Chloe Adams
Chloe Adams rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Eric H
Eric H rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Chris King
Chris King rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2015