Start by marking “Emlyn's Moon (Snow Spider, #2)” as Want to Read:
Emlyn's Moon (Snow Spider, #2)

Emlyn's Moon (Snow Spider Trilogy #2)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,266 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Gwyn and his magical Snow Spider return for another enchanting adventure in book two of Jenny Nimmo's Magician Trilogy!

Young magician Gywn and his friend Nia have been warned to stay away from Emlyn Llewelyn, the strange boy who claims his mother lives on the moon. And yet, a mysterious magic continues to draw them to him. But why?

It's up to Gwyn and Nia to solve the myste
Published January 1st 2007 by Orchard Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Emlyn's Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emlyn's Moon

If I Should Speak by Umm ZakiyyahPainted Hands by Jennifer ZobairBoy vs. Girl by Na'ima B. RobertThe Sealed Nectar | Biography of Prophet Muhammad by Safiur-Rahman Al-MubarakpuriThe Reluctant Mullah by Sagheer Afzal
Islamic Fiction
55th out of 118 books — 58 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingMatilda by Roald DahlThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThe Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson
New And Improved Best Books Ever
26th out of 76 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Miriam
Jul 27, 2015 Miriam added it
I thought I had only read the first book as a kid but it turns out I read this one, too. It fell into that awkward valley where as soon as I read a bit it was familiar, but I couldn't really remember the entire book (as far as what else happened) but it was familiar enough that I felt bored reading it again... I guess that's an indicator, though -- good books are good the second time, too. I don't think I loved anything I read by Nimmo. Fine, but nothing special. I may track down the 3rd and see ...more
Deborah O'Carroll
For my review of the overall series, see my series review on The Page Dreamer: https://thepagedreamer.wordpress.com/...

Thoughts on this one:

This was mostly from the POV of Nia, a girl minorly mentioned in the first book. I think I wasn’t expecting that. This one actually reminded me a lot of the Julia Redfern books by Eleanor Cameron (just add a little magic). About a very young, very reckless/hotheaded girl who gets into scrapes, though her continued lying got to me a little, especially since h
Kailey
Dec 27, 2015 Kailey rated it it was amazing
This book is utterly enchanting! I liked that instead of being told from Gwyn's POV, as the first book was, this one is told from Nia's perspective. Nia comes from a large family, where she feels inadequate as the middle child. But when she is called upon to reunite a broken family, she has to search deep within herself for the strength and talent that she's always possessed. Nia helps Emlyn search for his lost mother, and with Gwyn's magical help, they encounter adventure and mystery beyond the ...more
Peach Berry
Dec 24, 2014 Peach Berry rated it it was amazing
There is nothing more magical than reliving an old favourite from your childhood. having picked up an old copy of Emlyn's Moon from a charity shop, I couldn't resist getting lost in the magical Snow Spider trilogy once more.

The trilogy, in my opinion, sets the bar for fantastic writing, magical storytelling and twists and turns that fascinate both young and old readers. I was so pleased that none of its magic had been lost with age, the suspense and mystery behind the main protagonists and the f
Candy Boisvert
Publisher: Egmont
How many pages: 150 pgs
How long it took me to read: 1 day
Category: Fiction
I learned about this book from: going on a search looking for something to read after Harry Potter.

This book was purchased at: Chapter's
This book is: for anybody who has an imagination
Other books by this author: Snow spider, The chestnut soldier, Midnight for Charlie Bone, The time Twister, The blue boa, The castle of mirrors, The renaldi ring, Milo
Chris Campbell
Nov 17, 2013 Chris Campbell rated it liked it
It's a brave and flawed book, this. Read my review of "The Snow Spider" and you'll know that I've always been a fan of this series – but I'll confess that I remembered very little about this, the second book in the trilogy, and also the third.

Why is it brave? Well; perhaps the bravest thing is that there is a complete shift of protagonist: Gwyn Griffiths remains in the book, of course, but is a very secondary character. In his place is Nia Lloyd, only briefly referred to in the first book. She i
Laura Gilfillan
Jul 06, 2014 Laura Gilfillan rated it really liked it
Emlyn and his father live in the chapel, where something terrible happened once. Now Emlyn is shunned, and Nia isn't supposed to visit there, although of course she does. She does a lot of things she's not supposed to do. I liked Nia, although I might have been pulling my hair out if she'd been my child. Yet, the whole time I was wishing that her family had paid more attention to her, although it is understandable how easy it is to get lost in the shuffle, and the Lloyd family is quite a large s ...more
Liza
OH MY WELSH FEELS

I liked this more than The Snow Spider - while I related a lot to Gwyn I was ALL ABOUT NIA, she's great. It was nice to see Gwyn and Nain again. The Emlyn's family stuff was a bit weird, tbh I don't like his dad much and I think if art is *that* much of a priority for you you prob shouldn't have kids. Nia's art was uh-may-zing. I hope we get to see her again in the next book, she is a very good egg.
Amanda
Jun 22, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
3.5 This was definitely a little better than the previous book in the series. Maybe it's growing on me, or maybe it's because of the girl main character. I don't know. Either way, I enjoyed it more. It has a different points of view; instead of just Gywn, readers go inside the minds of both Nia and Gywn. NImmo introduces new characters and interesting plot twists. One of those is Emlyn, a strange boy who lives in the old chapel with his dad. Emlyn is an unusual boy, one who everyone avoids, one ...more
Fantasy Literature
Jul 08, 2013 Fantasy Literature rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rebecca
The Magician Trilogy by Jenny Nimmo are some of the best children's fantasy novels out there — and so inevitably they are virtually unknown. Set in the mountains of Wales, the books chronicle the experiences of Gwyn Griffith, a young boy magician dealing with the gift and burden of inheriting magical powers from his legendary ancestors. Before immediate comparisons are made with that other boy-wizard, rest assured that The Snow Spider was published several years before Harry Potter hit the scene ...more
Cliff
Apr 05, 2014 Cliff rated it liked it
So, in a pleasant twist, the second book in the trilogy is told from the point of view of Nia Lloyd, rather than from Gwyn. This book had a more naive and childlike innocence to it in comparison. Perhaps it was due to the fact that Nia is just 9 years old at this point, but as with most novels of this sort, she is willing to overlook the misguided good intentions of those older than her.

I like the fact that we have indirectly learned that Gwyn has a better understanding of the events that transp
Ily
Jun 27, 2009 Ily rated it it was ok
This was the second book in the series and it too was intriguing at first. It built the story, but didn't really take it anywhere. Again the climax was not very well written. I also felt like there were missing details from between books in the series. And that some of the details from book to book clashed. I do want to read the third book though. Especially since I want to read it before I let Isaac read it.

And I do enjoy the writers' creativity so I am going to start Jenny Nimmo's Charlie Bon
Karen
Dec 18, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
This is the second in a magical trilogy by Jenny Nimmo. All I can say is that I found all three books in this series profoundly beautiful.
Remy
Jul 30, 2015 Remy rated it it was amazing
Good book, it used a lot of magic.
Lindsey
Jun 25, 2012 Lindsey rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Since I accidently skipped over the first book, it took me a couple chapters to get caught up in the story with its strange Welsh names, places and all the members of the Lloyd family. The plot moved fast and seemed to skim over some sections that I felt could have been developed more. The mystery surrounding Emlyn was the past of his family along with Gyn's was interesting and left me wanting to read the first book so I knew more about these characters.

Favorite quote: "But we fought and that's
Minids
Jun 03, 2014 Minids rated it it was amazing
I want to read
Cynthia Egbert
Jan 01, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it
Tis strange when one feels that an author has taken all of the names from one's pedigree chart to populate a book. But it is strange in a very comforting way and there is a message for me here. Not everyone will love these books as much as I do but I am smitten. If you have an appreciation for Susan Cooper's Grey King series, you might really like this trilogy as well.
Tony Li
May 05, 2014 Tony Li rated it really liked it
The second in the Snow Spider Trilogy. After the events of the first novel Gwyn is once again put into a conflict as he finds out the mystery behind Emlyn. It's also worth a read.
Ellen
Nov 27, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
Although I think the first book was better than this one, my son and I still enjoyed it very much. The first book had the mystery of the magical five gifts, but watching Nia find her own uniqueness through a fabric collage was also special. I often thought of my mother who constructed beautiful quilts out of what looked like just scraps in the beginning.
Jenny
We listened to this book on tape, and the reader has this wonderful accent, sort of scottish or irish. I have to try not to talk like that all day after I listen.

These books have a different kind of fantasy. I don't know what it is about this author, but they are not like the usual ones. Maybe because they're foreign?

Whatever it is, I like it.
Katie
Sep 02, 2009 Katie rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this as much as "The Snow Spider" but it was a fun, short read. The second book in the Magician Trilogy further develops the scope of Gwyn's powers and hints at deeper connections to the magical ice world "up there." Once again Gwyn goes hunting for a missing person and ends up with more questions than he started with.
Tyler
Mar 21, 2008 Tyler rated it liked it

I'm not entirely sure if this book was as confusing as I thought it was or if I was distracted most of the time while I was listening to it. However, I can state that it is interesting that the narrative switched to a relatively minor character from the first book. Frankly though, it lacks some of the magic from the first book.
Emily
Jul 01, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
Written nearly a decade before Harry Potter appeared on the scene, the Magician Trilogy remains fresh and interesting, rich with Welsh history and complex, appealing characters. Nimmo fits tremendous stories into small books. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys flat-out great stories. This is my favourite of the trilogy.
Pablo
Jul 07, 2013 Pablo rated it it was amazing
The book i read is called Emlyn's moon. It is about a boy who is a magician he meets a girl named Emlyn. She sees things every where like spiders and spider webs. I like this book because it is about a boy who does magic. His wand is light blue and his clothing are gray and navy blue. This is all about Emlyn's Moon
jennifer
Apr 10, 2007 jennifer rated it really liked it
I got right into this second book of the trilogy....I whipped through it in a few hours. Good read....enough strangeness and magic to keep me satisfied. I liked that they took the main focus to another family and had the main characters from the first book as secondary characters.
Justin S
Dec 22, 2009 Justin S rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
this book was not a vary good book because i did not get what they were saying half the time. it was vary confiuing and it did not make a lot of senes. there was no point to this book. i do not recamend reading it because you will get to the frist chaper and probely quit.
Bella
May 08, 2008 Bella rated it really liked it
This book was really interesting. It's about a boy named Gwyn (who's a magician)and his friend (a girl named Nia)
and his cousin Emlyn (and neither of them know it)and they all live in wales. Gwyn and Nia are forbidden to go where he lives.
Shauna
Aug 04, 2008 Shauna rated it liked it
This is a strange little series. Not quite sure what to make of this story--the focus is shifted from Gwyn, the magician boy, to a friend and a cousin, and there is less real magic and more about mental illness and dysfunctional families.
Kristin R
May 20, 2009 Kristin R rated it really liked it
Shelves: juv, audio
I really enjoyed this second in trilogy. Some of the same characters, but focuses on different ones from the first book. A nice bit of suspense in this one, I couldn't wait to see how it all wrapped up.
Eman
May 08, 2010 Eman rated it it was amazing
I've read this book when I was in fifth grade and to tell yuo the truth, it rocked! Emyln became my favorite character but I was upset that she didn't take much part in the third book.
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Young Adult book, Wales, Magic [s] 6 48 Apr 06, 2014 03:06PM
  • The Bronze Pen
  • Gauge (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #2)
  • Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left (Zyrgon, #1)
  • Gate Of Days (The Book Of Time #2)
  • We Are Not Eaten by Yaks (An Accidental Adventure, #1)
  • The Ship Between the Worlds
  • Goggle-Eyes
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)
  • Ghosthunters and the Muddy Monster of Doom! (Ghosthunters, #4)
  • Eldest (Part B): Inheritance, Book II
  • Thirteen Ways to Sink a Sub
  • Highland Promise (Sisters by Choice, #2)
  • Moondial
  • Marianne Dreams (The Magic Drawing Pencil, #1)
  • Wild West Witches
  • Geth and the Return of the Lithens (Beyond Foo, #1)
  • The Stolen Lake (The Wolves Chronicles, #4)
  • The Monster (Troubletwisters, #2)
Jenny Nimmo was born in Windsor, Berkshire, England and educated at boarding schools in Kent and Surrey from the age of six until the age of sixteen, when she ran away from school to become a drama student/assistant stage manager with Theater South East. She graduated and acted in repertory theater in various towns and cities: Eastbourne, Tunbridge Wells, Brighton, Hastings, and Bexhill.

She left
More about Jenny Nimmo...

Snow Spider Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Snow Spider (Snow Spider Trilogy, #1)
  • The Chestnut Soldier (Snow Spider,  #3)