Start by marking “Nearby” as Want to Read:

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Kessinger Publishing is the place to find hundreds of thousands of rare and hard-to-find books with something of interest for everyone
Published September 12th 2007 by Kessinger Publishing (first published January 1st 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Nearby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nearby

I loved this book - the author's descriptions of the change in weather and her powerful depiction of the difference love can make was inspiring!

Here's one quote (among many that I noted)on p. 53, "Assure yourself constantly that your work does count. Sometimes I can only bandage a finger when I know the whole body should be cared for, but all that I am and have goes into that one thing I am allowed to do. There's so much darkness everywhere. In some cases the work you do may seem like only a pin
This is an obscure book that was weeded from my tiny hometown library. The card in the front shows it was checked out once (in March, 1967). My mom picked it up for me along with some of my favorites (that had my name repeatedly on the cards) so one day I picked it up and decided to read it. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it!
Apr 16, 2010 Jan added it
This was a favorite book of mine in my youth. Now it is somewhat dated, but rereading it reminded me why I loved it then... and still have much fondness now. And I know it offered me inspiration to teach.
I enjoyed this book. I bought it at a rummage sale for twenty-five cents! I had never heard of the author, but I am glad I found her. "Nearby" is an interesting story!
Judith Wrinkle
Love this Lady, read her many times when I was younger. Probably should read her again.
Donna Crawford
Donna Crawford marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Beth added it
Nov 08, 2013
Melissa Renee
Melissa Renee marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2012
Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2012
Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2012
Quiana Vidal
Quiana Vidal marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2012
Amber marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2012
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2011
Elizabeth Yates, author of over forty books for children, was born in New York State on December 6th, 1905. Determined to be an author, she moved to New York City to launch her career. She worked a variety of jobs including reviewing book, writing short stories, and doing research. She moved to England with her husband and wrote her first book, High Holiday, based on her travels in Switzerland wit ...more
More about Elizabeth Yates...
Amos Fortune, Free Man Mountain Born Sarah Whitcher's Story The Journeyman Carolina's Courage