Start by marking “Female Perversions” as Want to Read:
Female Perversions

Female Perversions

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Louise J. Kaplan challenges the traditional view that perversion represents deviant sexual behavior in this "fascinating and ambitious new study".--The New York Times Book Review. "This masterful study breaks new ground in our understanding of sexuality, gender roles and the way modern society trivializes erotic expression".--Publishers Weekly.
Published March 15th 1997 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers (first published March 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Female Perversions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Female Perversions

Elisheba
Sep 03, 2009 Elisheba rated it it was amazing
i especially liked the way the author connects the individual aspects of perversions with the larger social structure they grow in - and which breeds them: sex is political. it has to do with power. so, it is only when we question the social, political and, above all, economic mechanisms that trigger our perverse behaviors that we will be able to evolve into freer, more self-fulfilled individuals.
Alexander Santiago
Dec 06, 2012 Alexander Santiago rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Yes
Penis envy. Anorexia as a form of control and power. Gender role stereotypes. Ahhhhhhhhh, feminist literature! Dr. Kaplan's dense, cerebral, intellectual feminist treatise was an enlightening experience regarding sexuality, fetishism, gender role stereotypes (and archetypes), and how society (as well as familial environment) can form those hidden little proclivites that drives and shapes individuals. From stripping and expounding upon Freud's sexist theories regarding women, deconstructing Gusta ...more
Izzy Rey
Jan 14, 2012 Izzy Rey rated it liked it
Shelves: well-done
I read this years ago and I remember clearly her stating that this was a book about female AND male perversions. I remember reading about coarse cutters who make giant gashes on their genitals. She talks about anorexics as well. I remember her pointing out that women sometimes buy lots of useless crap and that this is a form of sexual perversity. She clearly deliniates her theories and keeps the pace up. Good times had by all...specially the guy who needs satin panties to masturbate.
Elizabeth
Sep 24, 2015 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Shelves: bought-2015
as creative as she is in her new definition of perversion, in the end she simply re-creates reproduction-based heteronormativity.
Denise
Sep 12, 2008 Denise rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People interested in gender issues, perversion, psychoanalytic theory
This is the book that largely set me on my path. It gave words to things that I did not discuss with others and provided insight into the way our culture imagines women and perversity. It gave perversion some credibility and redefined the pervert in a bold, hugely important way for me. I will definitely read this book again!
Joe
Jan 03, 2010 Joe rated it really liked it
I'm enjoying this book so far. It is pointing out concepts that I've never considered before.

-Joe-
Jen
Aug 01, 2008 Jen rated it liked it
female deviant sexual behaviour? learning about madam bovery in a new context? count me waaaay in!
Laurence Dubois
Mar 22, 2013 Laurence Dubois rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism, psy-spi
If your interested in feminism and in psychoanalyze you'll love this book the way I did.
Kate Davis
Want to finish it, but feel like I should read "Madame Bovary" first.
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Andrei
Andrei marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2016
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Sabrina Edmonston
Sabrina Edmonston marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Karla O.
Karla O. marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Burim
Burim rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Davie Cedras
Davie Cedras marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Kathy W
Kathy W marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
shakira
shakira marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
سامر حمادة
سامر حمادة marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Ryon Keith
Ryon Keith marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Marieke Muller
Marieke Muller marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Debra jeter
Debra jeter rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
  • Are Women Human?: And Other International Dialogues
  • Global Sex Workers: Rights, Resistance, and Redefinition
  • Pure Lust: Elemental Feminist Philosophy
  • The Riddle of Gender: Science, Activism, and Transgender Rights
  • Sexy Origins and Intimate Things: The Rites and Rituals of Straights, Gays, Bis, Drags, Trans, Virgins, and Others
  • The Erotic Mind: Unlocking the Inner Sources of Passion and Fulfillment
  • Animals and Women: Feminist Theoretical Explorations
  • The Gender Knot: Unraveling Our Patriarchal Legacy
  • Gaga Feminism: Sex, Gender, and the End of Normal
  • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
Louise J Kaplan is a psychoanalyst, author, and feminist scholar. She has published six critically acclaimed books: Oneness and Separateness, Adolescence: The Farewell to Childhood, The Family Romance of the Impostor Poet, Thomas Chatterton, Female Perversions: The Temptations of Emma Bovary, and No Voice is Ever Wholly Lost. She is the recipient of a National Book Critics Circle Award for disting ...more
More about Louise J. Kaplan...