Start by marking “Views from the Oldest House” as Want to Read:
Views from the Oldest House

Views from the Oldest House

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Turner Ashenden is failing as a student in a college he despises. All around him are misfits, inept terrorists, and would-be philosophers. His only friend is a lunatic named Black Malachi Pantera, who spends his days seducing young coeds and ranting about Turner's heroic destiny.

But today, all that is going to change. Before sundown, Turner will discover the Bad Winters In
Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Published November 1st 1990 by Spectra (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Views from the Oldest House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Views from the Oldest House

Cassidy
Jun 27, 2011 Cassidy rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I read this one shortly after it was published, which was a long time ago, so I'm pretty fuzzy on the details. One thing that I remember finding incredibly appealing at the time was the notion that much of the world as we know it-- the institutions, governments and power structures we consider facts of life-- might just dissolve away, and actual flesh-and-blood people not be particularly worse off for it. This was very refreshing after a diet of mostly techno-utopian/anarcho-dystopian futures. A ...more
Metaphorosis
Nov 11, 2014 Metaphorosis rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2014-rev

reviews.metaphorosis.com

4 stars

In a world devastated by climate change, some institutions cling to life, among them a university in a valley isolated from the turmoil. Turner Ashenden, a nominal student, lives with Black Malachi Pantera, a preternaturally able (and lazy) fellow student, in a house part maze, part party. When the government pushes local landholders to accept more refugees, Turner is caught up in the ensuing struggle.

I don't really know what Views From the Oldest House is about. I
Noelle
Oct 13, 2009 Noelle rated it it was ok
I gave up about a third of the way through. It just felt like work. As much as I read was impregnated with a vagueness. Vague, vague, vague. The character never seemed to know what was going on and neither did I.
There was also this second voice that would cut in once in a while, and nothing ever explained it's origins. I'll guess that one would find out eventually if they read the whole book but it's damn hard to care about a character that keeps interrupting the main characters thoughts withou
Sylvia
Feb 14, 2010 Sylvia rated it did not like it
Self-indulgent stream of consciousness from the author. Stopped reading about 3/4 of the way through. The confused story line didn't appear to be going anywhere, and when I flipped through the last quarter of the book, it was clear that whole new characters and environments were taking over, abandoning the work done in the first 3 quarters. Overall impression is of author babbling on a mary jane high, thinking he is oh so intelligent. Just tiresome.
Onewooga
Jul 16, 2008 Onewooga rated it really liked it
It took two tries to get through this one. Somehow the first time, it just didn't click. The second time, though, I was hooked. You have to be a little patient with Grant, whose intricate and oddball plots combined with his slightly ( or really) bizarre, but intriguing characters make it hard to dive right in, but boy, is it a worthwhile journey.
Leigh
View from the Oldest House by Richard Grant (1989)
Jimmy
Aug 30, 2012 Jimmy rated it really liked it
A challenging book, one which I think people will either love or hate, and perhaps an acquired taste. At times deliberately obtuse and meandering, it's nevertheless an interesting take on fantasy concepts. It took me three tries to finish but I found it very rewarding to reach the end. I feel it's very much worth a second look so I am going to reread this sometime, now that I know the overall structure, so that I can savor the details and come to a more complete understanding.
Roland Swedlund
Roland Swedlund marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Mary
Mary added it
Jan 04, 2016
Shelley Greer
Shelley Greer marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Jorg
Jorg rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Spunk
Spunk rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Geoff C
Geoff C rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Shyue Chou Chuang
Shyue Chou Chuang marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Jordan Stephen
Jordan Stephen marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
aleph3
aleph3 rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Keely
Keely rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2015
Flowers
Flowers marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Michael Havens
Michael Havens marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Jennifer Tait
Jennifer Tait marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Jason Herschaft
Jason Herschaft rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
Tim Newton
Tim Newton rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2014
Kevin Allen
Kevin Allen rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2014
Yarrow
Yarrow marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
John Paul
John Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Richard Grant is a science fiction and fantasy author.
More about Richard Grant...