Start by marking “Views from the Oldest House” as Want to Read:
Views from the Oldest House

Views from the Oldest House

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Turner Ashenden is failing as a student in a college he despises. All around him are misfits, inept terrorists, and would-be philosophers. His only friend is a lunatic named Black Malachi Pantera, who spends his days seducing young coeds and ranting about Turner's heroic destiny.

But today, all that is going to change. Before sundown, Turner will discover the Bad Winters In
Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Published November 1st 1990 by Spectra (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Views from the Oldest House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Views from the Oldest House

Cassidy
I read this one shortly after it was published, which was a long time ago, so I'm pretty fuzzy on the details. One thing that I remember finding incredibly appealing at the time was the notion that much of the world as we know it-- the institutions, governments and power structures we consider facts of life-- might just dissolve away, and actual flesh-and-blood people not be particularly worse off for it. This was very refreshing after a diet of mostly techno-utopian/anarcho-dystopian futures. A ...more
Metaphorosis

reviews.metaphorosis.com

4 stars

In a world devastated by climate change, some institutions cling to life, among them a university in a valley isolated from the turmoil. Turner Ashenden, a nominal student, lives with Black Malachi Pantera, a preternaturally able (and lazy) fellow student, in a house part maze, part party. When the government pushes local landholders to accept more refugees, Turner is caught up in the ensuing struggle.

I don't really know what Views From the Oldest House is about. I
Noelle
I gave up about a third of the way through. It just felt like work. As much as I read was impregnated with a vagueness. Vague, vague, vague. The character never seemed to know what was going on and neither did I.
There was also this second voice that would cut in once in a while, and nothing ever explained it's origins. I'll guess that one would find out eventually if they read the whole book but it's damn hard to care about a character that keeps interrupting the main characters thoughts withou
Sylvia
Self-indulgent stream of consciousness from the author. Stopped reading about 3/4 of the way through. The confused story line didn't appear to be going anywhere, and when I flipped through the last quarter of the book, it was clear that whole new characters and environments were taking over, abandoning the work done in the first 3 quarters. Overall impression is of author babbling on a mary jane high, thinking he is oh so intelligent. Just tiresome.
Onewooga
It took two tries to get through this one. Somehow the first time, it just didn't click. The second time, though, I was hooked. You have to be a little patient with Grant, whose intricate and oddball plots combined with his slightly ( or really) bizarre, but intriguing characters make it hard to dive right in, but boy, is it a worthwhile journey.
Leigh
View from the Oldest House by Richard Grant (1989)
Jimmy
A challenging book, one which I think people will either love or hate, and perhaps an acquired taste. At times deliberately obtuse and meandering, it's nevertheless an interesting take on fantasy concepts. It took me three tries to finish but I found it very rewarding to reach the end. I feel it's very much worth a second look so I am going to reread this sometime, now that I know the overall structure, so that I can savor the details and come to a more complete understanding.
Flowers
Flowers marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Michael Havens
Michael Havens marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Jennifer Tait
Jennifer Tait marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Myles
Myles added it
Apr 17, 2014
Yarrow
Yarrow marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
John Paul
John Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Kara Rae Garland
Kara Rae Garland marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Chris Dangerfield
Chris Dangerfield marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Belinda Monson
Belinda Monson marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Richard Grant is a science fiction and fantasy author.
More about Richard Grant...
Tex and Molly in the Afterlife In the Land of Winter Rumors of Spring Through the Heart Kaspian Lost