Start by marking “The Wallflower, Vol. 5 (The Wallflower, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Wallflower, Vol. 5 (The Wallflower, #5)
Preview

The Wallflower, Vol. 5 (The Wallflower #5)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,161 ratings  ·  18 reviews
MEET THE PARENTS

Sunako Nakahara and her four handsome housemates are enjoying their glamorous lifestyle at her auntâs mansionâuntil Sunakoâs father makes a surprise appearance. After learning that Sunako is going out with Kyohei, he flies all the way from Africa to investigate whether Kyohei is worthy of his precious daughter! Sunako vows to keep at least one secret from h
Published September 27th 2005 by Del Rey (first published June 13th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Wallflower, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wallflower, Vol. 5

Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaBeauty Pop, Vol. 1 by Kiyoko AraiVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi Ohba
Awesome Manga
179th out of 340 books — 133 voters

More lists with this book...

Sakura Yue Michaelis
This manga is so silly and sometimes, very senseless that it is funny.

- chapter 19: all girls at school are jealous of Sunako because she is close to the guys. There are 4 girls who are desperately in love with the boys, and they try to harm Sunako and Naie. The boys come in just in time before Sunako 'kills' the girls.
- chapter 20: Valentine's day. Probably the most silly chapter. The boys try by all means to avoid the herd of girls who want to give them chocolates. On the other hand, Sunako wa
Holly Letson
I felt like this was a quicker read than the earlier volumes of this series. I did, however, enjoy the Valentine's story and the flashback to before Sunako arrived at the house.
Nick
Sep 11, 2008 Nick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Overall Rating: B
Synopsis: A Shōjo comedy/romance manga created by Tomoko Hayakawa. At the beginning of the manga, Sunako Nakahara confesses her love to a boy, who utterly rejects her and tells her she's ugly. As any reasonably young person would do, Sunako then discards all traces of her femininity, and retreats into odd and morbid hobbies, such as collecting skulls.

Fortunately, Sunako's aunt owns a mansion that four gorgeous boys live in (huh?). Apparently, the boys pay rent to live in the ma
Whereis
Another great volume. For those that have read the manga 3 out of the 4 chapters correlate with an episode of the anime. One is the valentine's day episode, one is the episode with Sunako's father and the other one is the origin episode of how the four boys met. All three are pretty much the same as the episodes from the anime. The other chapter give a more in depth look at the Goth-loli sisters...and it makes them all the more disturbing.
Eme Black
4'75/5

I still don't like the sexism but I guess I have to put up with it because of japanese culture and besides it's proven how women can be way better than men.
WE'VE MET SUNAKO'S PARENTS! And they're as weird as her. We also get to know more about the Radiant Creatures and their past. Next volume, we'll about TAKANO!
Thetravelingpanda
I don't know why but I love to eat chocolate while reading this episode... Valentine's day! Poor guys, seriously I would never want to be in their shoes. I never saw girls being so madly mad about guys....
Rhein
Benar-benar bacaan penghilang stress kala mengerjakan thesis..
Chibineko
This novel has Sunako's father appearing after he discovers that his baby girl is in a "relationship" with Kyohei. Of course Kyohei tries to explain, but to no avail. Many humorous things happen, of course, but the story is pretty well plotted out. There's one or two parts that do get a bit saggy throughout the volume, but overall it's a decent read.

My only complaint is that this volume is the first step in a long line of following volumes that contain too much filler. Filler can be fun, but no
Dexter
I didn't quite enjoy it as the previous volumes. I'd like some character growth in the group as a whole (though there wasn't much time for that in this volume, since two of the stories were basically flashbacks and another was a special and not a regular chapter), and, once again, I have to say that I'd like to see more of Sunako in her fully humanoid form (though her normal form is adorable).

It's still good, though, and I'm definitely going to keep reading.
Jeffrey
Huzzah, Noi is on the cover. She's actually the only completely nice person in the entire series!

That said, it's a relatively entertaining volume with two major arcs, one being a classic Valentine's Day arc with some entertaining twists for those who know the traditional Japanese practices. The second arc begins origin an story for the boys but it isn't as good as the main plot.
Goatmaiden
Such a funny sounding premise, but urg, the art lost me fairly quickly. And after a while, the mangaka flat out admits that she stops drawing Sunako for the most part. Some pages are just a scribbly mess. I'd have like it to stay more parody-like as opposed to going off into bizarre-o land, but well, it takes all kinds.
Houa
Sunako just wants some chocolate & peace, but the boys keep getting chased around so much that she can't enjoy some decent peace & quiet for some chocolate. Sunako's father comes to visit & wants Kyohei to take care of Sunako. She doesn't want her father to see her room. Everything funny goes down.
Rachel
I find it funny that all of the books are supposed to be about making Sunako-chan into a lady, yet in each book, they get pretty close, then give up again. Mostly just sub-plots again in this one, but less creepiness from Sunako-chan. Sigh... I like her creepiest side.
Lauren
Loved this series. I love reverse harem type series especially when the girl is considered to be 'plain.' Nakahara was a hilarious character and I loved all of her creepy ways.

It was similar in my mind to Boys Over Flowers. Same general concept and characters.
Sara
Dec 20, 2011 Sara added it
Shelves: manga, humor, shoujo
lol! This series is so funny at first, but I kind of got tired of the same ol' same ol'. The character art is nice, especially the eyes! But there should really be someone concentrating on backgrounds.
Mizuki
Sunako's father showed up in this volume, and of course he misunderstood that Kyohei was toying with his daughter.

OH my goodness, the drama, the drama!
Marina
This volume totally surprised me. I had thought the guys were childhood friends or school friends but boy was I wrong!Fascinating and fun series.
Amy Gideon
There's no structure and somewhere along the line the author lost control of her plot line.
V.
V. marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Echantra
Echantra marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Yves Viloria
Yves Viloria marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Madeline Friedman
Madeline Friedman marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
  • Hana-Kimi, Vol. 18 (Hana-Kimi, #18)
  • キスよりも早く1 [Kisu Yorimo Hayaku 7] (Faster than a Kiss #7)
  • The One, Volume #2
  • Girl Got Game, Vol. 2
  • Model, Vol. 3
Tomoko Hayakawa (はやかわ ともこ, Hayakawa Tomoyo) is a Japanese artist and writer, best known for her ongoing manga The Wallflower, which has spawned both an anime and a live action series.
More about Tomoko Hayakawa...

The Wallflower (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 1 (The Wallflower, #1)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 2 (The Wallflower, #2)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 3 (The Wallflower, #3)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 4 (The Wallflower, #4)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 6 (The Wallflower, #6)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 7 (The Wallflower, #7)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 8 (The Wallflower, #8)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 9 (The Wallflower, #9)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 10 (The Wallflower, #10)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 11 (The Wallflower, #11)
The Wallflower, Vol. 1 (The Wallflower, #1) The Wallflower, Vol. 2 (The Wallflower, #2) The Wallflower, Vol. 3 (The Wallflower, #3) The Wallflower, Vol. 4 (The Wallflower, #4) The Wallflower, Vol. 10 (The Wallflower, #10)