Shut Up You're Fine: Instructive Poetry for Very, Very Bad Children

Shut Up You're Fine: Instructive Poetry for Very, Very Bad Children

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The wickedly funny collection of nursery rhymes for the South Park generation-illustrated by the incomparable Barry Moser. Andrew Hudgins, Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award-nominated author of the critically acclaimed Ecstatic in the Poison, brings us this new collection of laugh-out-loud tongue-in-cheek nursery rhymes that do for poetry what Edward Gorey did for cart...more
Published March 5th 2009 by Overlook Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Shut Up You're Fine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shut Up You're Fine

L12_tomj

The cover and the title are clear indications that THIS set of poetic topics is not for all audiences. Shut Up, You're Fine!: Poems for Very, Very Bad Children" by Andrew Hudgins is definitely for an audience of older high school students. This book of poems was found under the library topic of "poems for boys", and after reading the content explored in Andrew Hudgins book this is likely accurate. Titles like "Our Neighbors Little Yappy Dog", "The Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull", and "We Buried the C...more
Samantha Penrose
I'm not really sure who this book is written for, but its really rather tasteless. Perhaps a teenage boy would enjoy it. There are poems about death, masturbation, drunken and disfunctional families, one titled "the thumping of the bed" about overhearing sex, it goes on and on. I read them all....but I dont think I enjoyed any of them. (I may have chuckled at one or two but really, they were quite tasteless.)
Rachel
While the concept is fun, the execution is lacking. The poems try too hard to be shocking and fall short on wit and charm. Shel Silverstein it ain't.

The illustrations are delightful, however, and I did enjoy a couple of the poems, most notably "Why I Love Ruby."
Heather
The tooth fairy. Moms cleaning faces with spit. Imaginary friends. Ice cream trucks. Lesbian stepmothers. These are the things of children's books (well, except maybe that last one), and some of these poems are from kids' points of view, but despite the subtitle, this is not really children's poetry. Most of the poems are funny in a dark way, and some are downright morbid. Here are the final lines of one of my favorite poems, "Kiss Grandma Goodnight":

Pucker up and kiss them
Act just like a chum
L...more
TC
I found this book in Faulkner House Books in Pirates Alley New Oreleans during our 10th Anniversary Road trip and couldn't resist it. I don't have much poetry in my collection, but these poems are witty, sometimes gross and very funny. Though this is not a children's book, I would highly recommend it to anyone who spends a lot of time with kids and has a sense of humor: such as parents, teachers or health professionals that work with kids.
Sheila Lambert
Mixed feelings on this one. My rating would vary depending on which poem I was reading at the time. Most were twisted and funny, but some surpassed my humor and just made me uncomfortable as I was reading...but then again, that might be what the author intended. I'd rather stick to Shel Silverstein for the poetry and Edward Gorey for the macabre.
Danie P.
Though this title may appeal to younger readers who have read the likes of Shel Silverstein be warned this book is definately for adults and older teen readers.

Poems about shriveling dead relatives and devilish children include crude language that is entertaining and at the same time reminds you of shel silverstein.
Ann Marie
Way beyond Edward Gorey and without the charm. Bizarre and disturbing (which is just what the poet was going for I have no doubt). Nursery Rhymes about abusive parents, molestations and other traumas.
Overlook
This is a very entertaining little book, full of surprisingly agile poems that made me laugh out loud. It would make a wonderful gift for anyone, particularly those with children.
Dan
This collection of poems contains a couple of gems.
Sharan
A bit twisted. A little bit in there for everyone.
Brent
Must read this again...
Highly recommended.
Chris
I bought it for the pictures, but there weren't many, so I had to read the poetry, which suffered from a bad case of enjambment.
Julianna
Twisted Delight.
Gwendoline R.
Gwendoline R. marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Ashley Nichols
Ashley Nichols marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Blossom
Blossom marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Eric
Eric added it
Aug 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
ANDREW HUDGINS is the author of seven books of poems, including Saints and Strangers, The Glass Hammer, and most recently Ecstatic in the Poison. A finalist for the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, he is a recipient of Guggenheim and National Endowment for the Arts fellowships as well as the Harper Lee Award. He currently teaches in the Department of English at Ohio State University.
More about Andrew Hudgins...
After the Lost War: A Narrative Babylon in a Jar: Poems Ecstatic in the Poison The Joker: A Memoir The Glass Hammer: A Southern Childhood