Start by marking “Santa Mouse” as Want to Read:
Santa Mouse

Santa Mouse

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  407 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Everyone knows that Santa Mouse is Santa's little helper but how did it all come about? Find out in this charming story about a tiny mouse with no name who lived a very lonely life in a very big house. He loved Christmas dearly and had a special present for Santa, but how could he possibly give it to him? After all, he's only a mouse. And how did a little ordinary mouse be ...more
Published January 1st 1996 by Barnes & Noble Books (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Santa Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santa Mouse

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreBear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma WilsonThe Snowman by Raymond Briggs
Favorite Christmas Picture Books
10th out of 250 books — 101 voters
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
90th out of 708 books — 960 voters

More lists with this book...

babyhippoface
Oh, my. I have had this book in my library for years but never read it. I took it out to hall duty with me this afternoon and read it in-between saying, "WALK" forty-two times. It's adorable. Seriously.

This completely cute little mouse is lonely in his big, old house. He has no friends but dreams of having many. As he gets ready for bed on Christmas Eve he thinks it would be nice to leave a gift for Santa, so he wraps his best piece of cheese he's been saving. Oh, and Santa is appropriately grat
Linda Steinhammer
I loved this book as a child. It was my all time favourite. I would read it over and over again. Just thinking about it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling!
Ian
This is my copy from 1978, its missing a page, but the story is still cute. It's about giving even if you don't have much, to make someone else happy.
Jill
I read this book as a child and still own the original copy that was handed down. This is a sweet book to be enjoyed during the holiday season.
Shayla
This book is about a mouse who is alone, he doesn't even have a name. One year he gives Santa Clause a present, and Santa rewards him by making him Santa Mouse. The mouse will never be lonely again.
I like this book because its so cute! The mouse who is solitary and alone, gets to be Santa Clauses best buddy. It a happy ending for all.
I would use this book with my children because it has a good moral lesson that they could learn from. They would love the illustrations, and they would enjoy the st
Kelly  Schuknecht
The original copyright for Santa Mouse is 1966, but don't let that turn you away. Parents will love to read this book just as much as the kids will love to hear it, and that's the key to a perfect children's book!

Santa Mouse is a classic that will continue to be read to children for many years to come. The story is adorable and the rhyming pattern is fun and easy to read. I look forward to getting this book out every year in December as we get ready for our own visit from Santa Claus. Maybe this
Patricia
This is one of the dearest books from my childhood.
Jessartisan
Childhood favorite.
C
I love Santa Mouse. However, again, this children's book pic as an all-time favorite is highly subjective--I loved it as a child, and my children love it, too. It has some politically incorrect parts that one recent version tried to correct, I think (like the boys play cowboys and the girls drink tea). But I love it. I love the illustrations, I love the lonely little mouse who gives his best possession to Santa. I can recite it by heart. Just read it for Christmas.
Rosa Cline
An adorable Holiday story about how Santa Mouse got a name and found a friend in Santa Claus. Illustrations are simple yet very nice. Just an over all nice book to read to the little ones in your family. My not yet 2 year old granddaughter sat and we read this book several times the week we had it checked from the library.
Kaethe
Dec 12, 2012 Kaethe marked it as to-read
2009 December 17

This is annual reading (at least). The copy is from my childhood. We even have a little stuffed Santa Mouse we get out and play with every year. Santa Mouse lives in an old Victorian Addams sort of house, pity he leaves it.

***

2010 December 13

Ah, Santa Mouse. We couldn't locate the stuffy, but we finished trimming the tree, so it was time to read some Christmas books.
Lisa
We found this in a bookstore a few years ago, and it was a story that my husband loved from his childhood. A very sweet book about a little lonely mouse, that decides to give his one piece of cheese to Santa Claus. He goes to bed that night, only to be awakened by Santa, who gives him the name of "Santa Mouse" and takes him to be his special helper.
Robbie Bashore
One of my favorites from childhood! I made all kinds of shrinky-dink ornaments from tracings of the illustrations! I was so excited to have my mother give it too me from somewhere in the archives of her home. I even bought the sequel, even though I didn't know it, just to see Santa Mouse's picture!
Anna
Very cite picture book about a mouse who leaves a piece of cheese out for Santa. Santa is so grateful that he appoints the little mouse as a special assistant and names him Santa Mouse.

At the end, children are advised to leave out a piece of cheese for Santa Mouse on Christmas Eve.
Anne
Aug 05, 2011 Anne added it
I snagged my Mother's Santa Mouse doll which now has a place of honor in the Christmas tree every year. But my brother-in-law snagged the book! Had to have the book! My son was raised on Santa Mouse lore and I wanted to have the same tradition for my grand kids to cherish.
Melanie
This is another one that makes me feel nostalgic. Santa Mouse was published the year I was born. My copy was torn and missing the cover, but I got a shiny new copy this year. The endpapers aren't as pretty, but the illustrations and rhymes are as sweet as ever.
Jude Gravois
Jul 23, 2007 Jude Gravois added it
Shelves: fiction
A sweet story about a lonely little mouse who gives Santa a present. It's told in rhyme and sometimes a bit forced. Adam's family built a tradition around this book. Each kid receives a tiny gift (money or a lottery ticket) from Santa Mouse which is hung on the tree.
K
My favorite childhood book by far. It's been out of print for a while I believe. If you can get your hands on it you won't be sorry. Absolutely precious illustrations; a cute, sweet little story for any age. A lonely little mouse becomes Santa's pal.
Mark
Thanks to my friend Robbie for reminding me of this. One of the first books my older daughter learned to read along to (i.e., saying the last word of the rhyming verses on the correct pages, pre-actual-reading).
Lorraine
This book, Santa Mouse by Michael Brown, was born the same year I was. Every year on Christmas Eve, Mom tucked me in and read me a few stories. This was my favorite one, and Mom would save it for last. ...more
Jen
The best Christmas book ever! As a child, I read it so many times, that I had it memorized. I can still recite nearly all of it to this day. It was a gift from my godparents, Bobby and Joanna.
Ridgewood Public Library Youth Services
All an time family favorite of ours. The first book is fine, but it's the sequel Santa Mouse, Where are You? That we really love. Sweet read aloud for toddlers and young children. Brittin (RPL)
Amy
One of my Christmas favorites. I have had this book since I was a child. I love and treasure my old copy. I read it to my kids at school every year and they love it too!
Brenda
Not sure why, but I absolutely LOVED this book as a child. I even left out a thimble of milk and a piece of cheese on Christmas Eve for Santa Mouse!
Alice
Mommy review:
We love this book and read it all times of the year. I may have to put it away so that we can enjoy it more at Christmas.
Melissa Lee-tammeus
This is mine from when I was little - nearly 30 years ago - it is a wonderful memory and a beautiful little seasonal story.
Emerson
Santa Mouse is the cutest mouse you will ever see.
Classic and classy 1966 drawings. Wonderful!
Illustrations are superb.
Laurie
One of my favorites. I couldn't wait to read it to my 3 year old when we got to my parents' this last Christmas!
Jo-Ann Murphy
A very cute Christmas story. Pretty nice rhyming, though one was a bit strange. Kids should enjoy it.
Cathy Blackler
A childhood favorite, read to us every year by my Mom. My brother even owned Santa Mouse pajamas.
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • Santa Calls
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • Humphrey's First Christmas
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • The Nutcracker
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Peter Spier's Christmas!
  • Morris' Disappearing Bag
  • A Pussycat's Christmas
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
  • The Christmas Sweater: A Picture Book
  • The Story of Holly and Ivy

Brown, Michael, 1920-
from Library of Congress website
More about Michael Brown...
Santa Mouse, where are you? Baby's Santa Mouse Santa Mouse Meets Marmaduke Santa Mouse Treasury  Santa Mouse Coloring and Pencil Puzzle Book