Start by marking “Santa Mouse” as Want to Read:
Santa Mouse

Santa Mouse

Everyone knows that Santa Mouse is Santa's little helper but how did it all come about? Find out in this charming story about a tiny mouse with no name who lived a very lonely life in a very big house. He loved Christmas dearly and had a special present for Santa, but how could he possibly give it to him? After all, he's only a mouse. And how did a little ordinary mouse be ...more
Published January 1st 1996 by Barnes & Noble Books (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Santa Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santa Mouse

babyhippoface
Dec 05, 2012 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Oh, my. I have had this book in my library for years but never read it. I took it out to hall duty with me this afternoon and read it in-between saying, "WALK" forty-two times. It's adorable. Seriously.

This completely cute little mouse is lonely in his big, old house. He has no friends but dreams of having many. As he gets ready for bed on Christmas Eve he thinks it would be nice to leave a gift for Santa, so he wraps his best piece of cheese he's been saving. Oh, and Santa is appropriately grat
Robbie Bashore
Nov 09, 2007 Robbie Bashore rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites from childhood! I made all kinds of shrinky-dink ornaments from tracings of the illustrations! I was so excited to have my mother give it too me from somewhere in the archives of her home. I even bought the sequel, even though I didn't know it, just to see Santa Mouse's picture!
Judy
Oct 28, 2015 Judy rated it it was amazing
This was a favorite of my daughter all the Christmases while growing up. At one time I could recite the whole book by heart. My daughter has continued to read it to her children and now her grandchildren
Mark
Nov 09, 2007 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Thanks to my friend Robbie for reminding me of this. One of the first books my older daughter learned to read along to (i.e., saying the last word of the rhyming verses on the correct pages, pre-actual-reading).
Adam Duclos
My family has read this together every Christmas for as long as I can remember, sometimes even now, long past leaving the nest. I know most of it by heart.
Linda
Oct 20, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a child. It was my all time favourite. I would read it over and over again. Just thinking about it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling!
Brittany
Dec 20, 2016 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Cute rhyming story of a little mouse at Christmas time.
Julie
Dec 26, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
A lonely mouse who lives alone in a big mansion has save a delicious piece of cheese for Christmas, but on Christmas Eve he realizes that nobody ever gives Santa presents for Christmas so he takes his delicious cheese, wraps it up and leaves it for Santa. Santa is so pleased that he has the little mouse join him as an assistant and even gives him a name.

Sweet story. Kids will love the illustrations by Elfreieda de Witt. Very sweet and Christmas-y.

It was written in the 1960's so some of the lang
Kelly  Schuknecht
Dec 13, 2010 Kelly Schuknecht rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The original copyright for Santa Mouse is 1966, but don't let that turn you away. Parents will love to read this book just as much as the kids will love to hear it, and that's the key to a perfect children's book!

Santa Mouse is a classic that will continue to be read to children for many years to come. The story is adorable and the rhyming pattern is fun and easy to read. I look forward to getting this book out every year in December as we get ready for our own visit from Santa Claus. Maybe this
Shayla
May 15, 2015 Shayla rated it liked it
This book is about a mouse who is alone, he doesn't even have a name. One year he gives Santa Clause a present, and Santa rewards him by making him Santa Mouse. The mouse will never be lonely again.
I like this book because its so cute! The mouse who is solitary and alone, gets to be Santa Clauses best buddy. It a happy ending for all.
I would use this book with my children because it has a good moral lesson that they could learn from. They would love the illustrations, and they would enjoy the st
C
Dec 23, 2008 C rated it it was amazing
I love Santa Mouse. However, again, this children's book pic as an all-time favorite is highly subjective--I loved it as a child, and my children love it, too. It has some politically incorrect parts that one recent version tried to correct, I think (like the boys play cowboys and the girls drink tea). But I love it. I love the illustrations, I love the lonely little mouse who gives his best possession to Santa. I can recite it by heart. Just read it for Christmas.
Monica Tomasello
This was one of my favorite Christmas stories as a child. I was always a fan of "little" things. I loved this story of a lonely little mouse who gets picked up, in the literal sense, by Santa on Christmas Eve. Santa chooses him to be his assistant because of his generosity. The illustrations are wonderful. I still have my original copy.
Rosa Cline
Jan 15, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, christmas
An adorable Holiday story about how Santa Mouse got a name and found a friend in Santa Claus. Illustrations are simple yet very nice. Just an over all nice book to read to the little ones in your family. My not yet 2 year old granddaughter sat and we read this book several times the week we had it checked from the library.
Lisa
Dec 24, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
We found this in a bookstore a few years ago, and it was a story that my husband loved from his childhood. A very sweet book about a little lonely mouse, that decides to give his one piece of cheese to Santa Claus. He goes to bed that night, only to be awakened by Santa, who gives him the name of "Santa Mouse" and takes him to be his special helper.
Kaethe
Jan 22, 2009 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
2009 December 17

This is annual reading (at least). The copy is from my childhood. We even have a little stuffed Santa Mouse we get out and play with every year. Santa Mouse lives in an old Victorian Addams sort of house, pity he leaves it.

***

2010 December 13

Ah, Santa Mouse. We couldn't locate the stuffy, but we finished trimming the tree, so it was time to read some Christmas books.
Anna
Dec 15, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Very cite picture book about a mouse who leaves a piece of cheese out for Santa. Santa is so grateful that he appoints the little mouse as a special assistant and names him Santa Mouse.

At the end, children are advised to leave out a piece of cheese for Santa Mouse on Christmas Eve.
Lorraine
Dec 24, 2012 Lorraine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, favorites
This book, Santa Mouse by Michael Brown, was born the same year I was. Every year on Christmas Eve, Mom tucked me in and read me a few stories. This was my favorite one, and Mom would save it for last. ♥
Melanie
Feb 07, 2010 Melanie rated it really liked it
This is another one that makes me feel nostalgic. Santa Mouse was published the year I was born. My copy was torn and missing the cover, but I got a shiny new copy this year. The endpapers aren't as pretty, but the illustrations and rhymes are as sweet as ever.
Anne
Aug 05, 2011 Anne added it
I snagged my Mother's Santa Mouse doll which now has a place of honor in the Christmas tree every year. But my brother-in-law snagged the book! Had to have the book! My son was raised on Santa Mouse lore and I wanted to have the same tradition for my grand kids to cherish.
Jude Gravois
Jul 23, 2007 Jude Gravois added it
Shelves: fiction
A sweet story about a lonely little mouse who gives Santa a present. It's told in rhyme and sometimes a bit forced. Adam's family built a tradition around this book. Each kid receives a tiny gift (money or a lottery ticket) from Santa Mouse which is hung on the tree.
Jes
Dec 19, 2015 Jes rated it liked it
Oh my goodness, what a cute book. I love that Santa Mouse wants to give Santa a present!!! What a sweetie!

Adorable pictures, cute storyline. I read upon recommendation from my friend Jena and am so glad I did!
K
Sep 23, 2009 K rated it it was amazing
My favorite childhood book by far. It's been out of print for a while I believe. If you can get your hands on it you won't be sorry. Absolutely precious illustrations; a cute, sweet little story for any age. A lonely little mouse becomes Santa's pal.
Nov 29, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Oh how I love this book from my childhood!
Lauren
I ADORED these illustrations!
Emerson and Theodore
Dec 25, 2012 Emerson and Theodore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
Santa Mouse is the cutest mouse you will ever see.
Classic and classy 1966 drawings. Wonderful!
Illustrations are superb.
Jen
Jul 23, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
The best Christmas book ever! As a child, I read it so many times, that I had it memorized. I can still recite nearly all of it to this day. It was a gift from my godparents, Bobby and Joanna.
Cathy Blackler
Dec 25, 2012 Cathy Blackler rated it it was amazing
A childhood favorite, read to us every year by my Mom. My brother even owned Santa Mouse pajamas.
Feb 04, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it
Cute rhyming story about a lonely little mouse giving his most treasured thing to Santa.
Patricia
Jan 04, 2015 Patricia rated it it was amazing
This is one of the dearest books from my childhood.
Ridgewood Public Library Youth Services
All an time family favorite of ours. The first book is fine, but it's the sequel Santa Mouse, Where are You? That we really love. Sweet read aloud for toddlers and young children. Brittin (RPL)
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • Humphreys First Christmas
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Fletcher and the Snowflake Christmas
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • A Pussycat's Christmas
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Country Angel Christmas
  • Angelina's Christmas
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • Santa Calls
  • Can You See What I See?: The Night Before Christmas: Picture Puzzles to Search and Solve