Start by marking “Santa Paws (Santa Paws, #1)” as Want to Read:
Santa Paws (Santa Paws, #1)

Santa Paws (Santa Paws #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  883 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
When he performs miraculous rescues and other brave acts, a homeless puppy earns the name Santa Paws--and a new family to love. First published in book clubs, this heartwarming story is released in trade just in time for the holidays.
Published October 1st 1996 by Scholastic Paperbacks

A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
109th out of 796 books — 1,106 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellAnimal Farm by George OrwellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
263rd out of 1,027 books — 1,364 voters

More lists with this book...

Gina
Feb 25, 2016 Gina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers
I love these books. They may not be on my reading level and I may only think they're good because of nostalgia and dog love, but I love them regardless. Santa Paws, er, Nick, is adorable - a modern day Lassie, as the book jokes, and probably the best example of a truly altruistic character you'll ever find in a book, saving kittens and humans alike with no concern for his own safety. I may sound crazy going on like this, but he's the epitome of man's best friend and our ideals about dogs, just w ...more
Sarah Briggs
Nov 27, 2012 Sarah Briggs rated it it was amazing
(This review may contain spoilers).

I remember reading this book maybe a year or two after it was first published and I was telling a couple of friends about it recently. Because they liked the sound of it, we ordered it on Amazon to read together.

The book was just as good as I remembered. I could recall vague details about it, but there were a lot of things I forgot about, too. The book contains some tense moments, even though it's for children, and it was interesting to see the world through th
Ms.
Apr 02, 2009 Ms. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grant-y
This book is really amazing. It was almost christmas and there was a puppy who lived with his mother and brothers/sisters. One morning, when he woke up, his family wasn't there. He tries to find them, but he couldn't. Then, he had to take care of himself. Pretty soon, he did a whole lot of good deeds for the city of Oceanport. From finding a blind girl's wallet to saving a family from a housefire during night time, he earned the name: Santa Paws. He was really famous around town, too. He even sa ...more
Star Shining Forever
Our introduction to Santa Paws, the furry hero of Oceanport! A stray dog makes it his business to save people in trouble, runs into the hearts of the townspeople, and is adopted by pretty much the whole town.

I like how the author writes from both the dog's point of view and the people's, switching between the two seamlessly. It really helps you connect with the dog, but also understand what's going on in the story, things that the dog doesn't realize. The characters are vivid and perfect. The s
Heather
6.5/10

This is the 2nd time I've read this book and I'd still consider it a good book. I didn't realize how sad a book this was though. All I could remember was that there was a happy ending (which was also obvious since I have the 2nd book in the series).

It's a good read, but I think it would be hard for some to read, dog lovers specifically. The dog is a stray... what isn't sad about that? The good news is that (view spoiler)
Zach Volz
Jan 11, 2013 Zach Volz rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book a lot. When I first started reading this book I couldn’t stop. This book is about a dog that rescues people and does many other brave things in this story. The dog is entitled with the name “Santa Paws”, Santa Paws is with his family for christmas and helps rescue a small boy that goes missing just before Christmas. I would recommend this book to animal lovers and people who like to read about animals saving lives.
Victoria
Apr 18, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it
Another great children's series, recommended for the lower reading level. I started with these, and fell in love with reading, then I moved on to the Warriors series. I would recommend these to any parents looking for a book to get their children in love with reading.
Jenna
Feb 22, 2009 Jenna rated it did not like it
The only reason I have these books on here is because as a kid they were easily one of my favourite series. They're definitely packed with kid-friendly adventure and the good-guys always win! They are so cute and I'll always remember loving them.
Margie
Nov 23, 2015 Margie rated it it was amazing
This is one enjoyable quick read. Its for children but apparently quite a few adults enjoy it. Myself I chose it as its a Christmas story and has a dog as the main character. What more could you want.
Yawz
Feb 27, 2015 Yawz rated it it was ok
It was good when I was young. Now it isn't really that great. There are multiple plot problems, as well as a writing style that makes you want to jump off of a building.
Saoirse Sterling
I'm sorry, how can you resist the dog on the cover? Also, puntastic. A re-discovered childhood favourite.
Leeann Zea
Dec 19, 2014 Leeann Zea rated it it was amazing
this book is so good especially for animal lovers and it really brings the Christmas spirit!
Sarah Schloff
Sep 09, 2015 Sarah Schloff rated it it was amazing
This book is fun, fast, and sad all at the same time.
Julianna
Jun 11, 2009 Julianna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Animal Lovers & Fans of Heartwarming Holiday Stories
Reviewed for THC Reviews
In Santa Paws, Nicholas Edwards (which is actually a pseudonym for Ellen Emerson White) has created an absolutely charming tale of a small homeless puppy who goes around town, saving lives, helping people in need, and spreading Christmas cheer during the holiday season. I loved how the puppy is still able to give love and help the townspeople to feel better, even though he is so very lonely himself after getting lost from his canine family. I found this to be a great obje
Blake G.
May 19, 2011 Blake G. rated it it was amazing
My favorite part of the book was when Santa Paws woke up looking for his parents and the rest of his family because it made me want to read more thinking will he find them or will Santa Paws just have a long lost family. The book reminded me of when I adopted a dog from his family it made me wonder if that’s how my dog felt when I adopted him wondering about his family, I made prediction that he would not find his family the reason behind that is because out of all the books about dog's I have r ...more
Miltona 3rd
Mar 26, 2014 Miltona 3rd rated it it was amazing
I recently read the book Santa Paws. The character is Santa Paws. He is a dog that helps out a lot of people. His family left him and he was abandoned.The setting is a small town called Oceanport. Santa Paws wanders around Oceanport looking for food and water. Some nice kids named Gregory and Patrica give him food and water. Sometimes Santa Paws had some troubles. It's almost Christmas and Santa Paws is stuck outside.This book is a good level for 2nd grade through 4th graders because it's about ...more
BobbiJean
Feb 24, 2016 BobbiJean rated it really liked it
As a kid, I loved this book. I remember being so proud to conquer a chapter book, and I loved this little puppy.
janessa kosik
Feb 03, 2016 janessa kosik marked it as to-read
love this BOOK so good at the very end it almost made me cry
Lori Henrich
Jan 25, 2015 Lori Henrich rated it liked it
A young pup wakes up one morning to find his mom and siblings are gone. He hangs around the old shed but they never come back. He knows he needs to find food and water, so he ventures out into the world to find a way to survive and maybe find his family or find a forever home. He meets several people along the way and helps some others. People start calling him Santa Paws.

This is a sweet story. I like it. Not sure how I came across it and added it to my list, but it was a cute story. Nice one t
Lily ◕‿-。
Jan 24, 2014 Lily ◕‿-。 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute story about a stray dog who started to save lives and create Chrismas miracles. Such a cute story. :)
Kelly
Oct 14, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This was very good but really sad through out the whole book. There's a dog who is homeless in the worst winter ever with no place to go, and he's trying to find his family. During the the book he does many heroic things.Some of the things he does are he rescued a 3 year old drowning boy, he found blind girls missing wallet.and recued a whole family from their burning house. And that's only a few! It's a very easy read but I would recomend it to anyone who loves dogs and Christmas time!:)
Dean
May 22, 2015 Dean rated it it was amazing
I loved it.
Tarissa
Dec 02, 2009 Tarissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young kids, family read-aloud story
If you're in the mood for a warm-hearted Christmastime story about a pup, then "Santa Paws" is definitely the way to go.

He's cute, hairy, small, and brown. Santa Paws roams the streets of Oceanport, mostly looking for a good home, but he ends up finding people in need. Luckily he can help them out, whether he really knows what he's doing, or not.

What an adorable story! Once you read it, you'll want to adopt little Santa Paws into your own family!
Nathan
Jan 13, 2010 Nathan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Santa Paws, and the family are on an island for Christmas break. Not long after they land Santa Paws can already smell danger. First, he, and his friend, Cookie, rescue two cats from very cold water. Then a storm kicks in, and a boy goes missing. WILL HE SAVE THE DAY?

This is a nice book to read because it is very entertaining, and makes you want to keep reading.

This is a great book for all the the people that love rescue pets.
Donna Lyn
Jan 11, 2013 Donna Lyn rated it really liked it
This is a great chapter book to read with kids over the holidays. I'm not even a dog lover but I loved this book. This is the second Christmas that we have read it and rather than passing it along, I am keeping it again for next year. It's about a homeless puppy that goes around doing good deeds in a small town in the busy month of December. Will he survive living on the streets? Or will he be adopted into a loving family?
Court
Apr 01, 2013 Court rated it liked it
Shelves: childhood
It's ridiculous, but I would read this every Christmas as a kid. Looking back on that now, I realize that it's really not the greatest book at all, but I would read it because 1. I love dogs and 2. I have a hero complex, therefore C: this book covers both. Basically this stray dog goes around and saves all these people at Christmas time, and I'll be darned if I didn't wish I was that pup.
HunterC
Oct 28, 2015 HunterC rated it it was ok
The author wrote it really well but not my type of book.What the author could do better is make it a little more exciting.What the author did a great job on is make it a little sad,I would recommend this book to someone who likes very sad books about animals.This is not a good book for people who love animals and don't like when they are homeless.It's a sad book with a happy ending.
Lyndal Russell
Jun 20, 2015 Lyndal Russell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children but also anyone looking for a heart-warming story.
MAYBE SPOILERS. I DON'T KNOW. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Santa Paws is great a book about Christmas, courage and love with a touch of humor. Even though it is generally for children, I enjoyed reading this book. I think it's a sweet story about a homeless puppy who becomes a hero and finds a forever family.
Deborah Harris
Jan 01, 2014 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-4, a34
AR Quiz No. 32780 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 4.3 - AR Pts: 5.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Lee
Sep 23, 2009 Lee rated it it was amazing
This book really touches your heart. It is an awesome, awesome book. It's completely free of anything inappropriate, and I recommend it to or for any kid or just anyone that likes an inspiring, cute animals story.
  • Santa Paws On Christmas Island (Santa Paws)
  • Sheepdog in the Snow (Animal Ark, #7)
  • Help! I'm Trapped in Obedience School Again
  • Kittens in the Kitchen (Animal Ark, #1)
  • Runaway Hamster (Sweet Valley Kids, #2)
  • The Prince and the Pooch
  • Searching for David's Heart: A Christmas Story
  • Who Is Stealing the 12 Days of Christmas?
  • Bear's First Christmas
  • The Fox and the Hound
  • Star in the Storm
  • Camp Fear Ghouls (Ghosts of Fear Street, #18)
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • Titanic Crossing
  • The Backward Bird Dog (Paperback)
  • Child of the Wolves
  • Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2)
  • Season for Miracles (Bethlehem, #1)

Santa Paws (7 books)
  • Return Of Santa Paws (Santa Paws, #2)
  • Santa Paws To The Rescue (Santa Paws, #3)
  • Santa Paws, Come Home (Santa Paws, #4)
  • Santa Paws, Our Hero (Santa Paws, #5)
  • Santa Paws and the New Puppy (Santa Paws, #6)
  • Santa Paws Saves The Day (Santa Paws, #7)