Start by marking “Santa Paws (Santa Paws, #1)” as Want to Read:
Santa Paws (Santa Paws, #1)

Santa Paws (Santa Paws #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  714 ratings  ·  55 reviews
When he performs miraculous rescues and other brave acts, a homeless puppy earns the name Santa Paws--and a new family to love. First published in book clubs, this heartwarming story is released in trade just in time for the holidays.
Published October 1st 1996 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Santa Paws, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
109th out of 677 books — 922 voters
Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos MontalvánA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Top Dog Reads
73rd out of 314 books — 439 voters

More lists with this book...

(This review may contain spoilers).

I remember reading this book maybe a year or two after it was first published and I was telling a couple of friends about it recently. Because they liked the sound of it, we ordered it on Amazon to read together.

The book was just as good as I remembered. I could recall vague details about it, but there were a lot of things I forgot about, too. The book contains some tense moments, even though it's for children, and it was interesting to see the world through th
Star Shining Forever
Our introduction to Santa Paws, the furry hero of Oceanport! A stray dog makes it his business to save people in trouble, runs into the hearts of the townspeople, and is adopted by pretty much the whole town.

I like how the author writes from both the dog's point of view and the people's, switching between the two seamlessly. It really helps you connect with the dog, but also understand what's going on in the story, things that the dog doesn't realize. The characters are vivid and perfect. The s
Zach Volz
I really enjoyed reading this book a lot. When I first started reading this book I couldn’t stop. This book is about a dog that rescues people and does many other brave things in this story. The dog is entitled with the name “Santa Paws”, Santa Paws is with his family for christmas and helps rescue a small boy that goes missing just before Christmas. I would recommend this book to animal lovers and people who like to read about animals saving lives.
Jenna
The only reason I have these books on here is because as a kid they were easily one of my favourite series. They're definitely packed with kid-friendly adventure and the good-guys always win! They are so cute and I'll always remember loving them.
Miltona 3rd
I recently read the book Santa Paws. The character is Santa Paws. He is a dog that helps out a lot of people. His family left him and he was abandoned.The setting is a small town called Oceanport. Santa Paws wanders around Oceanport looking for food and water. Some nice kids named Gregory and Patrica give him food and water. Sometimes Santa Paws had some troubles. It's almost Christmas and Santa Paws is stuck outside.This book is a good level for 2nd grade through 4th graders because it's about ...more
Julianna
Jun 11, 2009 Julianna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Animal Lovers & Fans of Heartwarming Holiday Stories
Reviewed for THC Reviews
In Santa Paws, Nicholas Edwards (which is actually a pseudonym for Ellen Emerson White) has created an absolutely charming tale of a small homeless puppy who goes around town, saving lives, helping people in need, and spreading Christmas cheer during the holiday season. I loved how the puppy is still able to give love and help the townspeople to feel better, even though he is so very lonely himself after getting lost from his canine family. I found this to be a great obje
Blake G.
My favorite part of the book was when Santa Paws woke up looking for his parents and the rest of his family because it made me want to read more thinking will he find them or will Santa Paws just have a long lost family. The book reminded me of when I adopted a dog from his family it made me wonder if that’s how my dog felt when I adopted him wondering about his family, I made prediction that he would not find his family the reason behind that is because out of all the books about dog's I have r ...more
Ms.
Apr 02, 2009 Ms. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: grant-y
This book is really amazing. It was almost christmas and there was a puppy who lived with his mother and brothers/sisters. One morning, when he woke up, his family wasn't there. He tries to find them, but he couldn't. Then, he had to take care of himself. Pretty soon, he did a whole lot of good deeds for the city of Oceanport. From finding a blind girl's wallet to saving a family from a housefire during night time, he earned the name: Santa Paws. He was really famous around town, too. He even sa ...more
Leeann Zea
this book is so good especially for animal lovers and it really brings the Christmas spirit!
Heather
6.5/10

This is the 2nd time I've read this book and I'd still consider it a good book. I didn't realize how sad a book this was though. All I could remember was that there was a happy ending (which was also obvious since I have the 2nd book in the series).

It's a good read, but I think it would be hard for some to read, dog lovers specifically. The dog is a stray... what isn't sad about that? The good news is that (view spoiler)
➳Lily~Grace➳
Such a cute story about a stray dog who started to save lives and create Chrismas miracles. Such a cute story. :)
Kelly
This was very good but really sad through out the whole book. There's a dog who is homeless in the worst winter ever with no place to go, and he's trying to find his family. During the the book he does many heroic things.Some of the things he does are he rescued a 3 year old drowning boy, he found blind girls missing wallet.and recued a whole family from their burning house. And that's only a few! It's a very easy read but I would recomend it to anyone who loves dogs and Christmas time!:)
Tarissa
Dec 02, 2009 Tarissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young kids, family read-aloud story
If you're in the mood for a warm-hearted Christmastime story about a pup, then "Santa Paws" is definitely the way to go.

He's cute, hairy, small, and brown. Santa Paws roams the streets of Oceanport, mostly looking for a good home, but he ends up finding people in need. Luckily he can help them out, whether he really knows what he's doing, or not.

What an adorable story! Once you read it, you'll want to adopt little Santa Paws into your own family!
Nathan
Santa Paws, and the family are on an island for Christmas break. Not long after they land Santa Paws can already smell danger. First, he, and his friend, Cookie, rescue two cats from very cold water. Then a storm kicks in, and a boy goes missing. WILL HE SAVE THE DAY?

This is a nice book to read because it is very entertaining, and makes you want to keep reading.

This is a great book for all the the people that love rescue pets.
Donna Lyn
This is a great chapter book to read with kids over the holidays. I'm not even a dog lover but I loved this book. This is the second Christmas that we have read it and rather than passing it along, I am keeping it again for next year. It's about a homeless puppy that goes around doing good deeds in a small town in the busy month of December. Will he survive living on the streets? Or will he be adopted into a loving family?
Court
It's ridiculous, but I would read this every Christmas as a kid. Looking back on that now, I realize that it's really not the greatest book at all, but I would read it because 1. I love dogs and 2. I have a hero complex, therefore C: this book covers both. Basically this stray dog goes around and saves all these people at Christmas time, and I'll be darned if I didn't wish I was that pup.
Deborah Harris
Jan 01, 2014 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a34, ar-4
AR Quiz No. 32780 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 4.3 - AR Pts: 5.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Victoria
Another great children's series, recommended for the lower reading level. I started with these, and fell in love with reading, then I moved on to the Warriors series. I would recommend these to any parents looking for a book to get their children in love with reading.
Lee
This book really touches your heart. It is an awesome, awesome book. It's completely free of anything inappropriate, and I recommend it to or for any kid or just anyone that likes an inspiring, cute animals story.
Kelley
This was s cute book. And even though it's a children's book, it was full of sarcasm and funny parts that I enjoyed reading with Sam. I didn't realize this was a series, I'll have to check out more of them.
Kayley
I think this is a really good book the time of it is around Christmas. The dog has saved people and by Christmas he still has no family will he have a family for Christmas... To find out more read the book.
Chelsea C
I love the Santa Paws Books, they are part of my Christmas Reading list. However my copies of the first few are so well worn that they are starting to fall apart. Luckily I only read them at Christmas
Michelle
I remember this being such a heartwarming (but sometimes heartbreaking) book. I read it when I was way younger. I probably should read it again. I recall it being a good book, so I recommend it!
A cute story about a young dog who gets scared when his mom and siblings disappear. Readers grow to love the down on his luck pup as he saves the neighborhood and finds a new family in the process.
Celeste
All the pups wonderful deeds,make every child want a christmas puppy like him. One of my class favorite books, they rant to read it over and over. It is one you have to have your own copy of.
Storm
Dec 17, 2009 Storm rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mid elementary kids.
Shelves: own
I usually hate holiday books but this one was by far the best. I really enjoyed and I think that it would be a really great book for all children to read around the holidays.
stars
I don't remember this book very well, but I know that back in the day I liked it. Of course, I only chose it because of the cute dog on the front, but it was a good book!
Twyla
Santa paws was a lost puppy. two kids wanted him.Santa paws rescued a drowning boy found a blind girls wallet & rescued a family from a burning house.

Auryn 7 years
R Cooper
This book was well written, had a good storyline and kept my attention through the whole book. Overall this was a very good book.
Natalie
I reread this book every holiday season. I love it. I'm in my 20s and I still cried this time around.
  • Sheepdog in the Snow (Animal Ark, #7)
  • Kittens in the Kitchen (Animal Ark, #1)
  • Star in the Storm
  • The Guide Dog Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #53)
  • Child of the Wolves
  • Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2)
  • The Joy of a Peanuts Christmas: 50 Years of Holiday Comics!
  • Runaway Pony (Pony Pals, #7)
  • Searching for David's Heart: A Christmas Story
  • Mrs. Claus Doesn't Climb Telephone Poles (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids Holiday Special, #3)
The Rescue (Dog Whisperer, #1) Santa Paws, Come Home (Santa Paws, #4) Return Of Santa Paws (Santa Paws, #2) Santa Paws To The Rescue (Santa Paws, #3) Santa Paws, Our Hero (Santa Paws, #5)