Start by marking “Dragons and Unicorns: A Natural History” as Want to Read:
Dragons and Unicorns: A Natural History

Dragons and Unicorns: A Natural History

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Is it generally safe to walk by dragon weyrs on sunny days? Do dragons really lay golden eggs? Do dragon teeth have any medicinal value? And what about unicorns: Do some rare ones have two horns, and when aren't unicorns white? What is a unicorn "sneeze call," and what exactly is the best way to capture a unicorn, anyway?

Find the answers to these and other questions in thi
Published October 15th 1992 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published October 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Dragons and Unicorns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragons and Unicorns

Becca
I loved this book, but I'm taking away a star for the parts on dragon culture, which were irrelevant and not well-detailed. On the whole, I really enjoyed reading the descriptions distilled from various legends and am looking forward to seeing how many species I can spot (erm, well, sort of). I found this book randomly in a bookshop (Twice Told Tales) in Seattle, and I'm so glad I bought it.
I really liked this book, being a big fan of dragons and unicorns. The illustrations are beautiful and myths and legends concerning the two animals incredibly interesting. This book was clearly well researched as I had vaguely heard of many of the myths before. A lovely read for fans of the mystical and magical. Highly recommend.
Megan Paxson
Informative in some areas, mostly in the Unicorn section. The Dragon section had little facts, and some seemed very made up to fit the writer's beliefs. If this were more of a fiction book, rather than a "biology" book, then I'd accept what the authors had written for the reader to learn - but it's not.

If you're studying Dragons, I don't recommend this book, though it can be good for comparrison to others to confirm facts; if you're studying Unicorns, this book has a better list of history, and
Alistair Follansbee
I found this to be a singularly frustrating book. If you merely want a whimsical/humorous romp with nothing but a passing nod to mythology, feel free to give it a read and you may enjoy it. Personally, I was hoping for some more solid mythology, and not some poorly thought out evolution of the dragon and unicorn. As a biology undergraduate, this book became even more frustrating, as "A Natural History," it is not.
Anna
I liked the structure of this book - it attempted to organize the histories of the unicorn and dragon in a manner worthy of a textbook. Obviously, much information was lacking for it to be a true textbook, but I appreciate the attempt. Sometimes, the attempt at "factual narrative" was a little insulting, since general knowledge denies these as facts. But it was an interesting perspective.
Daleb.
Dec 27, 2011 Daleb. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Daleb. by: Found it perusing the shelves of my local library
Monday Dec. 19, 2011
I've had this one before but can't remember the details, so i think i shall read it again to refresh my memory (probably last year about this time i think)
xoDaleB.xo
Mon. Dec. 26, 2011
Well, it was just as interesting the second time around...I'd put this on my shelf w/my Graeme Base books
Wish i could spot a few of these on my walks ;oP
xoDaleB.xo
Dracostellarum
Not a good book at all. It tries to come off as logical, but it leaves more questions than it answers. It is filled with inconsistencies that further destroy its believeability. It could have been a wonderful book if it had been well done.
Sarah Mae
I did not read the dragon parts but the unicorn section was a good intro. I have most of the books in the bibliography checked out to read as well.
Kailey
Informative and fun, but too much biology and evolution stuff. I'd rather hear more fairy tales and myths.
Brittany
This was such a fun romp. Very old-fashioned and fusty, and very enjoyably witty anyway.
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
Dragons and Unicorns: A Natural History by Paul Johnsgard (1992)
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Jessica Tiarks
Jessica Tiarks marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Jj Grilliette
Jj Grilliette marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Kathy Davidson
Kathy Davidson marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Alanna
Alanna added it
Oct 20, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Alaina
Alaina marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
  • Dragons: A Natural History
  • The Lore of the Unicorn
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Firebringer Trilogy
  • Magickal Mystical Creatures: Invite Their Powers Into Your Life
  • Dragons (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Varmints
  • The Oxford Companion to World Mythology
  • Fairies: Real Encounters With Little People
  • Old Peter's Russian Tales
  • The Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved
  • The Book of the Dragon
  • Mrs. Chippy's Last Expedition: The Remarkable Journal of Shackleton's Polar-Bound Cat
  • A History of Ghosts: The True Story of Séances, Mediums, Ghosts, and Ghostbusters
  • The Flight of Dragons
  • Professor Winsnicker's Book of Proper Etiquette for Well-mannered Sycophants (Leven Thumps)
  • De Historia Et Veritate Unicornis/on the History   and Truth of the Unicorn
  • The 21 Lessons of Merlyn: A Study in Druid Magic and Lore
Those of the Gray Wind: The Sandhill Cranes Hawks, Eagles, and Falcons of North America: Biology and Natural History Sandhill and Whooping Cranes: Ancient Voices over America's Wetlands North American Owls: Biology And Natural History PHEASANTS OF WORLD