Start by marking “Dragons and Unicorns: A Natural History” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Is it generally safe to walk by dragon weyrs on sunny days? Do dragons really lay golden eggs? Do dragon teeth have any medicinal value? And what about unicorns: Do some rare ones have two horns, and when aren't unicorns white? What is a unicorn "sneeze call," and what exactly is the best way to capture a unicorn, anyway?

Find the answers to these and other questions in thi
Published October 15th 1992 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published October 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Dragons and Unicorns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragons and Unicorns

I loved this book, but I'm taking away a star for the parts on dragon culture, which were irrelevant and not well-detailed. On the whole, I really enjoyed reading the descriptions distilled from various legends and am looking forward to seeing how many species I can spot (erm, well, sort of). I found this book randomly in a bookshop (Twice Told Tales) in Seattle, and I'm so glad I bought it.
I really liked this book, being a big fan of dragons and unicorns. The illustrations are beautiful and myths and legends concerning the two animals incredibly interesting. This book was clearly well researched as I had vaguely heard of many of the myths before. A lovely read for fans of the mystical and magical. Highly recommend.
Dragons and Unicorns: A Natural History

A great book for anyone who is interested in mystical creatures and for some who believe in the existence of dragons and unicorns. This book gives a good amount of information on ether dragons or unicorns. It was a good read for me as to being interested in the general subject.

Megan Paxson
Informative in some areas, mostly in the Unicorn section. The Dragon section had little facts, and some seemed very made up to fit the writer's beliefs. If this were more of a fiction book, rather than a "biology" book, then I'd accept what the authors had written for the reader to learn - but it's not.

If you're studying Dragons, I don't recommend this book, though it can be good for comparrison to others to confirm facts; if you're studying Unicorns, this book has a better list of history, and
Super Glue
This book just seemed to meander about with no real purpose.
Alistair Follansbee
I found this to be a singularly frustrating book. If you merely want a whimsical/humorous romp with nothing but a passing nod to mythology, feel free to give it a read and you may enjoy it. Personally, I was hoping for some more solid mythology, and not some poorly thought out evolution of the dragon and unicorn. As a biology undergraduate, this book became even more frustrating, as "A Natural History," it is not.
I liked the structure of this book - it attempted to organize the histories of the unicorn and dragon in a manner worthy of a textbook. Obviously, much information was lacking for it to be a true textbook, but I appreciate the attempt. Sometimes, the attempt at "factual narrative" was a little insulting, since general knowledge denies these as facts. But it was an interesting perspective.
Dec 27, 2011 Daleb. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Daleb. by: Found it perusing the shelves of my local library
Monday Dec. 19, 2011
I've had this one before but can't remember the details, so i think i shall read it again to refresh my memory (probably last year about this time i think)
Mon. Dec. 26, 2011
Well, it was just as interesting the second time around...I'd put this on my shelf w/my Graeme Base books
Wish i could spot a few of these on my walks ;oP
Not a good book at all. It tries to come off as logical, but it leaves more questions than it answers. It is filled with inconsistencies that further destroy its believeability. It could have been a wonderful book if it had been well done.
Sarah Mae
I did not read the dragon parts but the unicorn section was a good intro. I have most of the books in the bibliography checked out to read as well.
Informative and fun, but too much biology and evolution stuff. I'd rather hear more fairy tales and myths.
This was such a fun romp. Very old-fashioned and fusty, and very enjoyably witty anyway.
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
Dragons and Unicorns: A Natural History by Paul Johnsgard (1992)
Jamie is currently reading it
Nov 11, 2015
Naomi marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Liz marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Micha marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Hillary marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Jose marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Eva Schatz
Eva Schatz marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jody Mena
Jody Mena marked it as to-read
John Barnes
John Barnes marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Brooke marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Cassady marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Dragons: A Natural History
  • The Lore of the Unicorn
  • A Natural History Of The Unnatural World: Discover What Crytozoology Can Teach Us About Over One Hundred Fabulous Creatures That Inhabit Earth, Sea And Sky
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Firebringer Trilogy
  • Varmints
  • The Oxford Companion to World Mythology
  • The Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved
  • Fairies: Real Encounters With Little People
  • Old Peter's Russian Tales
  • Mrs. Chippy's Last Expedition: The Remarkable Journal of Shackleton's Polar-Bound Cat
  • Magical Beasts (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • A History of Ghosts: The True Story of Séances, Mediums, Ghosts, and Ghostbusters
  • More Celtic Fairy Tales