Start by marking “The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #3)

The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist #3)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,008 ratings  ·  75 reviews

There's nothing better than being a mad scientist -- at least according to Franny. So she's making in her mission to help her classmates discover their own inner mad scientists. All Franny needs for her latest experiment is a few volunteers, a half-completed two-headed robot, and an invisibility potion. Only this experiment just might prove to be Franny's most difficult. W
Published June 1st 2005 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible Fran, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisible Fran

Apr 28, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the third book in the Franny K. Stein series by Jim Benton. We first discovered this series when we listened to Frantastic Voyage on audio CD. We all thought it was a humorous tale, so we decided to read the other books in the series.

This story takes us to Franny's classroom, where she tries to recruit more mad scientists. She can't imagine having any other hobby or an interesting in anything but science, but she soon discovers the benefits of a wide range of talents.

I love the fact th
RAEF'S RATING (age 6): ***** (actually he said "six million thousand stars")

RAEF'S REVIEW: This is my favorite book I've ever read. It's the best book ever because of Franny and Igor. There's funny pictures.

RAEF'S FAVORITE QUOTE: Fools + Tools = Busted-up Schools

MEG'S REVIEW: This book is just my kind of trip. All I need is an evil genius, semi-psycho elementary school girl with an obsession for mad science and I'm hooked! I will read every book in this series I
Another fun, fun Franny K. Stein offering from Mr. Benton. I like that we get to know a few of her heretofore nameless classmates in this one. Franny has a tendency to assume that people are different from her because they just don't know any better - I remember thinking that myself as a kid - but she is capable of learning and growth and recognizing the value in diversity. And anyone who dives in front of a huge ketchup squirt to save shelves of books is my kind of gal. :)

Again, the illustratio
Edward Creter
When last we saw an invisible girl (if such should be "seen" at all) Jessica played one for the Fantastic Four movie duology. To the hilt, since, well, there's nothin' to SEE, wink wink! Anyway, Franny the mad scientist kid is back for round three in her never-ending quest to dominate the world! She wants kids in her school to enjoy being mad scientists.....or ELSE! So she screws up everything by poor attempts at show-and-tell. Her various gadgets don't seem to cut it, so she downs that potion t ...more
Carol Briseno
A very cute book for children, my niece loves the series and says she wants them all. (Keep in mind she's 7.)

Franny K. Stein is a mad scientist who every kid would want as a friend. She's smart, cryptic, and a bit of a know-it-all. She makes science fun for imaginative little ones every where. In this particular book her main goal is to make every one in her class want to be a mad scientist.

She has them believe that they are helping build a two headed robot (Because two heads are better than one
Lady Knight
Ah Franny, always good for a laugh.

Franny is back and is seriously peeved. Ms. Shelley has asked everyone in the class to show off his or her talent. Franny is certain that one glimpse of one of her experiments and everyone will want to become a mad scientist. It soon becomes apparent that no else has the least interest in mad science. Franny is so frustrated, she sets out to make the coolest robot ever. On her day to show off, she brings the robot. Most in the class are not too impressed, but
Good story in this series for the 8 to 11 year olds about everyone's interests and talents having value even if you don't find them interesting yourself. Also a lesson in working together and making all those interests and talents work together and enhance each other.
This book is ok but its not fit for me though. My favorite part is when Franny tries to interest kids in her class to become mad scientist just like her. But, that doesn't go as planned! I recommend this book to anyone who likes mad scientist stuff and likes trouble!
2009 Jan 26

Of course Fran wants everyone to give up their boring hobbies and pursue mad science, what a great idea. A pair of cousins do Irish dancing, so that was especially funny.
I liked when Phil had stamps and he put the stamps on the robot's eyes.
Sep 12, 2015 Jillian added it
Shelves: junior-fiction
Grade 2-4, funny, girl
Fani Aisea
I really like the pictures and little writing it had
Samuel Arnett
This book is really funny.Its about this girl named Franny K. Stien.She thinks that making pretty pretty cookies is stupid for a hobby.So she thinks that if she makes a cool robot that she would trick the kids in makeing robots too. but i dosent work.So she makes this invisable robot to vab her so she can go around and wisper in their ear to think that thats their mind talking to them .
102 pages- Franny K. Stein is a mad scientist. She was able to make herself invisible, she got an idea she would tell kids what to do like it was their mind telling them what to do. She told them what to do to a robot to make it better, but when she wasn't helping them they tried to do it again. It went crazy so Franny had to try and stop it.- Kara Rogers
This was a very easy chapter book for kids just starting out with chapter books. I read this book to my son and he seemed to enjoy it and the pictures on every page helped keep his attention. He liked the end of the book because of the moral in the book. I found some chapters ended too abruptly which left the story incomplete, even for a children's novel.
It was awesome. Frannie K. Stein the mad scientist turns herself invisible and makes three classmates think they want to visit her robot. And add a few touches. And that night the three classmates go back to school and finish the robot. When finished, it destroyed the school. And wrote graffiti that said the principal has a rubber butt.g.t.g
I think that this book was good but also not good. It was about a girl who was making an experiment and she didn't finish so she made her friends think they new how to make it by telling them ha what to do and then at night they went to the school to finish but Fran wasn't saying any thing so they ruined it.
Mar 03, 2009 Kelly rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: andy
Something I wouldn't necessarily have picked up, but another mom recommended them for Andy now that he's moved into the "chapter book" phase of 1st grade. He loved it and keeps saying things like "do you remember in chapter 17 of Franny K Stein..." so I guess we'll call this one a winner
This third book in the Franny K. Stein Mad Scientist series has another positive message mixed in amongst the silliness. This message focuses on learning to appreciate the interests of others... (click for full review
Highly readable, funny chapter book! I can see why the boys like it so much. Kids may need a dictionary nearby, as every few pages Benton uses a big, unfamiliar word. His series is so good that kid's won't mind even if they do have to use a dictionary.
Amber loves this series. It's one of the few that she'll wake up and read a chapter of in the morning when no one else is awake and before she watches TV. Probably, partly because it's easy to read and partly because she loves Franny.
The 7 year old enjoys the Mad Scientist Franny K Stein.
I liked this book becase its fiction and its almost like a comic book that talkes about a girl that is a mad sientist.You would like this book if you like fictions book.You could find this book in a school librery.
Ms. B
Much better than Jim Benton's Dumb Diary series, this book will have you laughing out loud!
Franny K. Stein is a mad scientist in training whose plans go awry. I look forward to reading more books in this series.
Katie Clark
An interesting story about Franny who wants to prove to her classmates that she is a mad scientist, so she creates a robot and brings it to school. This is a fun book for students to learn about science and friendship.
my goal for this week was to finish and start with other book
the character is a mad scientist.
she does new invention and share it with herr dog.
my goal for next weekis to start with other boo0k.
Amusing light read for early elementary kids. Less potty humor than the awful Captain Underpants series but still funny. I also like the fact that the main character is a bright, resourceful girl.
"Butts are an imprecise science; errors occur."

Another brilliant mad science novel. I too want to own an electron microscope, a nuclear-powered brain amplifier, and a giant, flesh-eating koala.
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitoes from Mercury (Ricky Ricotta, #2)
  • The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero (Quality))
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Goes to Camp!
  • Miss Lazar Is Bizarre! (My Weird School, #9)
  • Monster Mash (Babymouse, #9)
  • Don't Tap-Dance on Your Teacher (Roscoe Riley Rules, #5)
  • Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta (Lunch Lady, #3)
  • The Mount Rushmore Calamity (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures, #1)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt (Judy Moody & Stink, #2)
  • Ivy and Bean: Doomed to Dance (Ivy and Bean, #6)
  • The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)
  • Attack of the Ninja Frogs (Dragonbreath, #2)
  • Commander Toad in Space (Commander Toad)
  • Bad Kitty Gets a Bath
  • Stick Dog Wants a Hot Dog
Benton began his career in a custom design t-shirt shop where he started designing his own characters. At the same time, Jim did illustrations and artwork for magazines and newspapers. People magazine named him "the most visible cartoonist in America" .

Benton also created greeting cards and worked in the magazine and publishing industry. In 1998, his SpyDogs characters became an animated series, T
More about Jim Benton...

Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist (7 books)
  • Lunch Walks Among Us (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #1)
  • Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #2)
  • The Fran That Time Forgot (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #4)
  • Frantastic Voyage (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #5)
  • The Fran with Four Brains (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #6)
  • The Frandidate (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #7)
Let's Pretend This Never Happened (Dear Dumb Diary #1) It's Not My Fault I Know Everything (Dear Dumb Diary #8) My Pants Are Haunted Am I the Princess or the Frog? (Dear Dumb Diary #3) Lunch Walks Among Us (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #1)