Start by marking “The Fran That Time Forgot (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Fran That Time Forgot (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #4)

The Fran That Time Forgot (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist #4)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,083 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Franny K. Stein didn't think the time would ever come when someone would realize what the K in her name stood for. And she REALLY didn't think that same someone would say her middle name in front of the whole school! But that's what happened at the Science Fair award ceremony, and all the kids and teachers burst out laughing. So Franny does what any respectable mad scienti ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

Emily
Dec 06, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
And now, Franny K. Stein has invented a time machine! She won her school science fair, only to be mortified when her middle name was revealed on the official first place certificate. She goes back in time to change it and inadvertently sets her baby-self on the pathway to evil mad science with her stern warning that "The most important thing is that nobody will laugh at us again. There is nothing worse than being laughed at."

Again, the illustrations and chapter titles are highlights: "You Should
Erin
I heard the author, Jim Benton, give a talk the other day and two things he said inspired me to pick up Franny. He described Franny as a girl who creates her own problems, but she also solves her own problems. And when he was asked how he writes about little girls he responded similarly to George R.R. Martin and said that he doesn't write about using tampons, but focuses on emotions like jealousy and embarrassment, and that boys feel those things, too.

In the end, my almost-four-year-old son love
Gabriela Alvarez
Feb 27, 2017 Gabriela Alvarez rated it really liked it
Jim Benton's book, The Fran That Time Forgot, is a humorous and entertaining science fiction story about a little mad scientist named Franny who is embarrassed and teased when she wins an award at the Science Fair. Franny K. Stein never thought the day would come, when all her peers would find out about her embarrassing middle name. Kissypie was no name for a tough, mad scientist, and of course just as she predicted everyone laughed at her. Outraged, and determined to be never laughed at again, ...more
Adriana Servin-cruz
Readers will come across much humor and lessons learned as they read about Franny K. Stein, a young scientist girl who enjoys conducting various science experiments. However, her experiments are definitely one of a kind; from messing with her dog’s behavior to producing clones Franny’s experiments can sometimes lead her to trouble. Franny is a young, adventurous scientist whose ideas spark based on her needs and wants. Once she hears the announcement about the science fair approaching at her sch ...more
Dolly
May 07, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the fourth book in the Franny K. Stein series by Jim Benton. We first discovered this series when we listened to Frantastic Voyage on audio CD.

We all thought it was a humorous tale, so we decided to read some of the other books/audio CDs in the series. We listened to this story narrated aloud by Michele O. Medlin on audio CD.

This story shows us how Franny goes back in time to stop her parents from giving her a silly middle name. She discovers that changing things doesn't always make thi
Ms. Myers
Author:Jim Benton
Tittle:Franny K.stein The Fran that time forgot
Genre:Science fiction
SUMMARY

This is a book about Franny K.Stein going to get represented at school for 1st place making the time warp dessert plate and she doesn't like her middle name Kissypie because she is so evil and that name is girly.So,she made a bracelet that takes her back in time and she saw herself as a baby and changed her name from Kissypie to kaboom.And later in life when she was a teenager she got mad because pe
Lady Knight
Jun 25, 2010 Lady Knight rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Franny is determined to win the science fair this year. And is thrilled when she does, and then it hits her, the principal is going to read out her middle name! She hates her middle name (what sort of parents give their child a name like Kissypie, anyway?)! When it's read out everyone bursts out laughing and Franny is convinced that their is nothing worse than being laughed at. She goes home that night and creates a time machine. She goes back in time to the day she was born. She sees her birth ...more
Edward Creter
Franny K. Stein, the ten-year-young mad scientist has returned to FULFILL HER DESTINY (as well as full-fill her beloved mutt Igor his dog dish!). Her middle name is FINALLY REVEALED...and it is THE ULTIMATE IN TERROR! I may as well reveal it to you all...be prepared...hold your breath...try not to scream...it's Kissypie. (Now you can insert scream here!) Her middle name is so cute it's TERRIFYING!!!! She needs to go back in time to change that...dreaded!...middle name and alter her future! BUT: ...more
Courtney Umlauf
When Franny wins first place at the school science fair, she realizes too late that winning means her name will be read out to her whole class. Her entire name, include the embarrassing one in the middle. Determined to prevent anyone from laughing at her name ever again, Franny goes back in time to change it, inadvertently leading to a future in which teenage Franny becomes a truly evil mad scientist. In order to set things right, Franny must learn that there are much worse things than being lau ...more
Liz
Dec 15, 2016 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: fourth-grade
7th read aloud of 2016-2017. Tried to find a science fiction book that was part of a series and might appeal to reluctant readers. While I didn't particularly enjoy this book, many in my class did and they are currently flying off my bookshelf!
Mimo
Sep 17, 2008 Mimo rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids in grades 2-4 who like funny books and are reading chapter books.
Shelves: junior, funny
If I were 8 years old, I probably would have given this 5 stars. Franny K. Stein lives in an ordinary house, with an ordinary family. But she is not an ordinary little girl-- she is a mad scientist. In this installment of her adventures, Franny wins a prize at her school science fair and is thrilled until she realizes that the certificate that is being presented to her in front of the whole school has her full middle name on it. Its so bad that even the principal laughs. Only one thing to do... ...more
Veronica
Mar 04, 2013 Veronica rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-books
Emily
Nov 14, 2009 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: j-fiction
I had read part of a Franny K. Stein book with my 5th grade reading buddy a few years ago, and I have high respect for the series simply because that was the one thing Bradley loved to read, and would devour. Franny K. Stein is a mad scientist, something her "normal" family and schoolmates put up with. When she gets a certificate for winning first prize at the science fair, it is revealed that her middle name is "Kissypie." Kids laugh, and Franny invents a time machine to go back in time and giv ...more
Anica
Jan 02, 2010 Anica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juneau-2nd-grade
I'm always looking for this series for Juneau, and I was so thrilled to find this at the used book store. I was even thinking of wrapping it, but I left it on the coffee table and fell asleep. Later that night, Juneau woke me up and said she'd already read it. I thought she meant she already had the book, but she meant she had read the whole thing -- that night!
Juneau thought it was great that she got to see what Franny was like as a baby and as a teenager, and finally found out her middle name.
Sharon
Jun 26, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
Good story in this series for I would say the 8 to 11 year old crowd... Great lesson on having the ability to laugh at yourself a little and not take some things too seriously... I liked this one very much and would recommend it to anyone of that age that likes a good story that is funny in part and also teaches a good lesson.
Kayla
Nov 04, 2009 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Franny K. Stein didn't think the time would ever come when someone would realize what the K in her name stood for. And she REALLY didn't think that same someone would say her middle name in front of the whole school! But that's what happened at the Science Fair award ceremony, and all the kids and teachers burst out laughing. Franny books are really funny.
Gabriel
Jun 21, 2015 Gabriel rated it it was amazing
She went back in time because at the science fair she got laughed at because her middle name was Kissypie. She went back in time to when she was born and she changed the tag on the crate she was in and asked the baby Franny what shall it be and the baby took out her nucka and said kaboom! And she thought the baby Franny was pretty cute. So she wanted to see what the teenager Franny was like.
Vee41dmb
Mar 13, 2013 Vee41dmb rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the couple of other books in the Franny K Stein series, but it was good. Hard to read to a large group out-loud, bc the pictures (which add so much to the story) are hard to show everyone. Great for a small group or one on one.
Lisa
Jan 08, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Read this to my little brother and I recommend it to 7-9 years old kids. It is an interesting book with a good lesson to smaller kids, that if people laugh at you, laugh with them instead of taking revenge on them.

Of course, for me it wasn't too interesting, but my brother enjoyed it very much.
Bret
Jan 11, 2012 Bret rated it really liked it
This is a great book for struggling readers and young kids. It is basically a picture book that looks like a novel! A great way for reluctant readers to feel like they are reading a chapter book (well, it technically is a chapter book) along with their classmates :)
AmniconStudio
Jan 01, 2012 AmniconStudio rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio-book, children
I grabbed this audio book based on what it said on the back of the cover.

It was a disappointment. No one in the car thought it was very good.

I take it back. My son said he liked the story even though he didn't laugh out loud. As you can tell, he is reading over my shoulder.
Turknoys Demirkol
Mar 23, 2014 Turknoys Demirkol rated it it was amazing
By a 7 year old Kylie

Franny travels back to the time when she was a baby and changed her name but, at the end she finds out that it's not the name she had to change it was her feelings. This book is SUPER.

And that's the end of the story.
Warmly Welcomes
Kylie
Raylynn
Jun 11, 2015 Raylynn rated it liked it
This is an interesting one I got to say. My favorite part would have to be why Franny caused all of this trouble to change her middle name, which is quite funny if I do say so myself! I recommend this book to anyone who likes mad scientist stuff, and anyone who has an embarrassing middle name!
Anna Loeppky
Oct 16, 2013 Anna Loeppky rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book is a hit among the children today. This book is about a girl, a mad scientist, who was being made fun of because she had a weird middle name. She tries to go into the past and change her name, but it makes things worse. This book is great for upper elementary students.
StorySnoops
Feb 22, 2011 StorySnoops rated it liked it
Franny's mad scientist ways continue in The Fran That Time Forgot. Crazy inventions abound, as usual, such as the Time Warp Dessert Plate, the Voice-Activated Cheese Cannon, Cannibalistic Broccoli, and Zero Gravity Dog Food... (click for full review http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
Tash
Jun 12, 2013 Tash rated it it was amazing
It was cute and funny. I read it to my little sister. She loves these books.
Mariyah
Feb 05, 2010 Mariyah rated it it was amazing
i like these books got 100on the vocab and regualer quiz.
Grrrr
Aug 15, 2011 Grrrr added it
I think baby Franny looked cute.
Castro
Nov 17, 2009 Castro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sylvia
I loved this book, I recommend this to my friends.
I think they should read it because there is a girl that is a mad scientist and makes alot of inventions.
Mark Miller
Mar 19, 2016 Mark Miller rated it it was amazing
This book was super great!!!
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitoes from Mercury (Ricky Ricotta, #2)
  • Elisa the Royal Adventure Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Princess Fairies #4)
  • Dragonslayer (Babymouse, #11)
  • Camping Catastrophe (Ready, Freddy!, #14)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • The Princess in Black and the Hungry Bunny Horde (The Princess in Black, #3)
  • I'm a Frog! (Elephant and Piggie, #20)
  • Fossils Tell of Long Ago
  • The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)
  • Dracula vs. Grampa at the Monster Truck Spectacular (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #1)
  • The Book Report from the Black Lagoon
  • Attack of the Ninja Frogs (Dragonbreath, #2)
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Spark
Benton began his career in a custom design t-shirt shop where he started designing his own characters. At the same time, Jim did illustrations and artwork for magazines and newspapers. People magazine named him "the most visible cartoonist in America" .

Benton also created greeting cards and worked in the magazine and publishing industry. In 1998, his SpyDogs characters became an animated series, T
More about Jim Benton...

Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist (7 books)
  • Lunch Walks Among Us (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #1)
  • Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #2)
  • The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #3)
  • Frantastic Voyage (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #5)
  • The Fran with Four Brains (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #6)
  • The Frandidate (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #7)