Frantastic Voyage (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #5)

Frantastic Voyage (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist #5)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  686 ratings  ·  53 reviews

Franny's faithful lab assistant, Igor, has swallowed a doomsday device that is ready to go off at any moment! For any regular scientist, there is only one way to get the device out -- um...make that two ways.

But Franny K. Stein is no ordinary scientist, so she concocts her own way to get the device back and save her friend. With her miniaturization machine, Franny shrink

Published April 1st 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

Emily
Mr. Benton is back on top with this one on a subject near and dear to my heart - too much TV, with an especial focus on susceptibility to commercials! Particularly gross this time around as the last half of the book takes place inside a dog's nasal passages and stomach. Hilarious illustrations for the gigantic mass wedgie and the dog booger snowman as well as all the things that have gone wrong under Igor's not-so-capable assistance. I appreciate that a compromise is reached at the end to the sa...more
Leanne
Franny K. Stein Mad Scientist
Frantastic Voyage
by Jim Benton
Published in 2006

Genre: Science Fiction

Format: Novel

Plot Summary: "When her lab assistant, Igor the dog, swallows a doomsday device with a ticking clock, Franny K. Stein shrinks herself down in a miniature machine and enters the body of her beloved pooch to track down the device and stop it from going off." - Baker & Taylor

Considerations for Readers Advisory: None

Review Citation: Benton, James K. Lunch Walks Among Us. United States o...more
Jesus
my goal for this week was to finish the book because i want to read different one.the pages i read: was 1-65 and the the next day i finish.
the charater: she is the mad scientist and she creats different thing.in the book she has creat a devis and th dog eat it and she has to get it.
my goal for next week: want read a other book
Margie
I started reading this with my daughter. It was late and I intended to read a couple of pages with her and then put her to bed. We read the entire book and I'm not ashamed to admit I laughed right along with her. I wish I'd had this when I was a child.
Caroline
An entertaining, albeit shallow, book. Good to hook my kids on reading.
tabitha
The book Frantastic Voyage is about a little girl mad scientist named Franny who makes a bomb called the doomsday device. The bomb is the size of a grape and chould bolw up at least three puaters of the world.To make matters worse Franny's lab assistant igor swallows the doomsday device. Well he isn't a pure lab. He is also part poodle, part chihuahua, part beagle, part spaniel, part shepherd, and possiblypart of some kind of weasly thing that probably isn't even a dog. Anyways the bomb is goin...more
Ekram
Dolly
Mar 29, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
We listened to this story narrated aloud by Michele O. Medlin on audio CD while were on a family car trip during Spring Break. We'd never read any of the stories in the Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist series before and I thought it would be entertaining.

It's a short, humorous tale that certainly kept our interest as we drove for miles and miles. I love the fact that Franny is a spunky, smart scientist and I thought it was great how she solved her problems. The story was very engaging and we real...more
Book Concierge
Franny K. Stein is a mad scientist (is there any other kind?), with a lab assistant named Igor (not a pure bred lab, but also part Chihuahua, part poodle, part beagle, etc). But Igor is not very competent and usually messes up her experiments. When he accidentally swallows the Doomsday Device she built for emergencies, Franny has to find a way to retrieve the bomb from the dog’s stomach. So she shrinks herself and takes a tour through Igor’s innards. Will she get to the bomb in time to save the...more
Deanna
Dec 23, 2012 Deanna marked it as to-read
i love this book about franny k stein since i've haven read everything. man, what a waste of millon people were sold this books. because i want it soo badly. i was keep busy doing on the allowence money to do clean my room, washes the dishes, wipe the tables, and take out the garbage. it's my job to do work at the restraunt at lone star. that's my favorite job.
but sometimes, i want to be an artist and animation to create of the smae character of the author and creators. my favorite book is jeff...more
Isaiah
The bok was really funny because she was right about the dog messing everything up. so she made a television so the dog can be distracted and not mess up her projects.She made a doomsday device that will go off if there is an attack n earth the Igor was watching tv and he ate the doomsday device he did not pay attention to what he was eating.Franny had to miniturze her self to go in Igor's body when she got in there she thought it was fun being in Igor's body. She got the doomsday device and qui...more
Veronica
Zheng Han S3 Cheng
Apr 18, 2008 Zheng Han S3 Cheng rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Franny's faithful lab assistant, Igor,which is ( part Chihuahua, part beagle, part spaniel, part shepherd and all thumbs)has jus swallowed a domsday device that is going to explode any moment!There is only 2 ways.One is to let it explode or go insde Igor to deativate the device.
Franny K. Stein is an extraordinary scientist so she is making a machine that go go into Igor body to deativate the divice.With the miniaturization machine, she shrink herself like a pin and travel inside Igor body.Wil sh...more
Deirdre Keating
Our original enthusiasm for this series has dulled a bit. Don't care for the sarcasm toward her little brother, and we preferred Igor's strong role in the Four Brains book. But there is still a lot to love. My mom read this to Aidan first back in June, and started laughing out loud when she saw the illustration of Igor watching TV in a bikini. I loved the reinforcement of our lessons to Aidan about commericals and advertizements. Looking forward to the Franidate (Franny runs for office!).
Jody
Jackson (7) says 4.5 stars:)
Gotta love that little mad scientist:)
Edmund.attipoe
1)I really like the book because it very funny,for example in page 21 Franny dog Igor was copying everything that the T.V is doing,and in page 8 Igor drink a snake formula and his head turn into a snake head.2)You will like this book if you like funny things because this book have very funny things.3)There is no challenge in this book.4)The character named is Franny,she is a mad scientist and have a helper named Igor.
Carol
Amber absolutely loves this series and this was another good entry. It subtly shows some of the downfalls of watching too much tv, with all the familiar humor and grossness that characterize Frannie’s world. I have to admit that I thought her wishing she had more time to play in the boogers in Igor’s nose was disgusting, but Amber thought it was hilarious. Of course, it all ends well, luckily for the world.
Kayla
Franny's lab assistant, Igor, has swallowed a doomsday device that is ready to go off at any moment! For any regular scientist, there is only one way to get the device out, make that two ways.But Franny K. Stein is no ordinary scientist, so she concocts her own way to get the device back and save her friend. This book is really funny.
April
I love Franny K! I read this one out loud to my 1st grade neice over the weekend and we both cracked up the whole time. I have also done with one with my K-2 book club along with funny science experiements and it was a hoot! The pictures are great and what kid wouldn't like to be sniffed up a dog's nose!
StorySnoops
The fun and crazy inventions continue in this fifth installment in the Franny K. Stein Mad Scientist series. In The Frantastic Voyage, Franny discovers and is fascinated by the hypnotic power of television and advertising... (click here for full review http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
Katharine
I brought home a pile of beginner chapter books, looking for a science-fiction / silly book for my 7 year old boy. He gravitated to this choice and loved it. We will be trying the rest of the series.

Update 2/14/12: same child, now 8, just reread this on his own in 2 days.
Alaina Sloo
Part of the hilarious Franny K. Stein series with lots of illustrations for kids beginning to read chapter books. Who can resist a little girl mad scientist with an obedient dog/lab assistant named Igor?

Brooke
Franny K Stein is my 6 year old son's favorite books. Maybe it is because she invents things all the time and so does he. I wish there were more Franny books. We have read them all a few times.
Franny is a scientist and creates evil projects. In this book Franny's dog swallows a bomb while watching TV. Franny invents a shrinking ray and goes inside her dog to try to find the bomb.
Aaron Wallace
I really liked this book and this series a lot because it has lots of science and creativity.The thing I liked the most was that it was a fast and easy chapter book.
Samuellowe
i think it was a very good book. It had some iffy parts of the book. but over all it was the best book in the seris. And there are like 14 books in the seris.
Kaethe
We're crazy Franny fans at our house. If Benson never wrote anything else, we'd be happy, even though the Offspring have rather aged up.
Trinity Klennert
Jim Benton is an amazing author. I love these books. It was a quick easy read but, i want to be a scienctist when i grow up.
Kayla
It was a good book but it was really easy and at some parts confusing and wasn't really detailed but overall it was a good book.
Heather
This is my least favorite in the series so far. It just didn't have the magic of the first four.
  • Ricky Ricotta Y El Poderoso Robot (Ricky Ricotta, #1)
  • Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad (Ivy and Bean, #5)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000
  • The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt (Judy Moody & Stink, #2)
  • Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (My Weird School, #2)
  • Shannon The Ocean Fairy
Benton began his career in a custom design t-shirt shop where he started designing his own characters. At the same time, Jim did illustrations and artwork for magazines and newspapers. People magazine named him "the most visible cartoonist in America" .

Benton also created greeting cards and worked in the magazine and publishing industry. In 1998, his SpyDogs characters became an animated series, T...more
More about Jim Benton...
Let's Pretend This Never Happened (Dear Dumb Diary #1) It's Not My Fault I Know Everything (Dear Dumb Diary #8) My Pants Are Haunted Am I the Princess or the Frog? (Dear Dumb Diary #3) Can Adults Become Human?

“For the love of all humanity, shake what your mama gave you!” 6 likes