Start by marking “Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #2)” as Want to Read:
Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #2)

Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist #2)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,364 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
Franny's mom says every mad scientist needs a lab assistant. So for Valentine's Day Franny gets just that -- a Lab assistant. Except Igor isn't a pure Lab. He's also part poodle, part Chihuahua, part beagle, part spaniel, part shepherd -- and all thumbs.

Franny is fuming. She doesn't even need an assistant. What's she supposed to do with a good-for-nothing one like Igor?

Published January 1st 2005 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid

Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis SacharCaptain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants by Dav PilkeyWayside School Is Falling Down by Louis SacharThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav PilkeyCaptain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets by Dav Pilkey
Funniest Middle Grade and YA Novels
14th out of 41 books — 12 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienBroken Point by Donna K. ChildreeThe Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. LewisThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
Great Read-Aloud Fantasy Books
173rd out of 174 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Brad
I've needed to read this for quite some time. Brontë finished it months ago, but my own books got in the way, and I never seemed to make it around to Franny and her mad science -- until last night.

Insomnia kicked in, but I didn't have the attention span for my other books, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and Under Heaven, and I didn't want to start something significant while I was bogged down in those monstrosities, so Franny K. Stein won the night.

I was most struck by how far past this book
Miloš & Brontë
Jan 27, 2012 Miloš & Brontë rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pa
Pa: So what do you think?

Brontë: Well, I think it was really cool, and I love how at the end ... actually, let's start at the beginning. She's at school and she can't get it right, and she gets this card and Igor, her dog, just starts pushing stuff on mistake --

Pa: -- by mistake --

Brontë: -- By mistake. Yeah. And then the Cupid card actually turns into a Cupid, and then she wakes up and is like, "What did you do?" and the Cupid has turned into a big, big one.

Pa: A 50' Cupid?

Brontë (nodding): Ye
Emily
Dec 06, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
Once again, Franny attempts to decipher the world around her that simply doesn't see things the way she does. This time, Valentine's Day is the object of her study. And she raises awfully good points. Why on earth is a naked baby shooting people with arrows emblematic of this day to share love and affection? She fearlessly explores this foreign world and begins to unravels its mysteries, finding a dear friend and saving the city in the process.

Her new lab assistant, Igor, is a wonderful additio
Edward Creter
Sep 09, 2014 Edward Creter rated it really liked it
Franny K. Stein is back for the chilling (and sweet!) sequel! Hahaha! Franny has never known the awesome force called LOVE. She is introduced to the concept by her loving teacher, who shows her a Valentine card with a cute kid named Cupid who shoots the arrows of love to kids all over the world. This to Fran is an alien concept, so she seeks retribution by creating a Jumbo-sized Baby Cupid to terrorize the city! Then she is made to bear witness to SuperCupid's destructive loving power! Who can s ...more
Trinity Klennert
Jan 07, 2013 Trinity Klennert rated it it was amazing
Jim Benton is an amazing author. I love these books. It was a quick easy read but, i want to be a scienctist when i grow up.
Gymnast Writergirl
Jun 18, 2016 Gymnast Writergirl rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, sci-fi
I read this book to my little sister after my library got some new copies. She liked this one just as much as the one that I read her a few months ago. (Book four.)
This is a cute series about a little girl mad scientist. Franny K. Stein.
Great for younger children, with just over 100 pages in each book, pictures on every page (Big ones at that!) and large print.
I think these are books that parents would like reading to their young children.
Younger children would like these much better than adult
Joanna
Jun 23, 2016 Joanna rated it really liked it
Read with my four year old daughter and my seven year old son. My seven year old isn't quite comfortable reading this to himself, but he's close. This book wasn't quite as good as the first book in the series (with the lunch monster), but it was still enjoyable and poking fun at Valentine's Day is always worthwhile. My kids loved the giant cupid and the introduction of Igor, the lab assistant/dog. Franny is a great character and these books have humor with heart. I'll definitely read more of the ...more
Dolly
Mar 17, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the second book in the Franny K. Stein series by Jim Benton. We first discovered this series when we listened to Frantastic Voyage on audio CD. We all thought it was a humorous tale, so we decided to read some of the other books in the series.

This story introduces us to Franny's lab assistant, Igor and we learn more about Franny's mad scientist mind. I like that Franny redefines classic Valentine's Day images to fit her own warped mad scientist perspective. I also like that Franny learn
Jes Pedroza
Jul 09, 2008 Jes Pedroza rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone wanting a good laugh.
I think I love Franny K Stein so much because she is utterly unashamed to be herself. Popular culture tries to mold her into a fine-tuned shape but Franny is too quirmish to be like anyone else.
Although her parents do not understand her, they support Franny in her mad scientist endeavors. Her teacher Miss Shelly, tries to help Franny grasp what other boys and girls have learned ages ago. One such lesson is one on Valentines Day. Franny thinks the holiday sounds like a bore, but wants to make ca
Mina
Mar 10, 2011 Mina rated it it was amazing
Dear Readers,

I have just read a book called Franny K. Stein Attack of the 50-FT Cupid written by Jim Benton, When the cupid is about to shoot the love-arrow at Franny Igor bit the cupid's but and saved Franny. From that day on Igor became Franny's best friend and her lab assistance too.

Interesting words: debugged Biggerizer
Prediction: I think when Franny is in dangerous Igor will save her

I feel very interesting reading Franny's idea because I think the author is very creative for example, he
Raylynn
Jun 11, 2015 Raylynn rated it liked it
This book is very interesting. Its no exactly my reading level because it was easy to read but its still a good book. Not one of my favorites though. Anyways, I recommended this book to anyone who likes to read about adventures, and mad scientist stuff. My favorite part is when Franny the main character gets a LAB partner, wink wink! And that LAB partner causes some misshapes but in the end everything is all right with the world!
Courtney Umlauf
In book #2, Franny is trying to decode the rules of Valentine's Day etiquette at school while attempting to keep her new assistant, a mangy dog named Igor, from ruining any of her experiments at home. Franny's mom doesn't always understand her daughter, but she does know that mad scientists always need an assistant, and so along comes Igor. Franny definitely does not approve of her flee-ridden subordinate, though she lets him stay to avoid hurting her mom's feelings. But when Igor saves Franny f ...more
Lady Knight
Jun 25, 2010 Lady Knight rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Franny is back and this time she's taking on Valentine's Day. For homework she has to create valentines for her whole class. The problem? The concept of cute, cuddly, and mushy things are completely beyond Franny! Try as she might she just doesn't get it. Then to top it off, her mom gives her a dog , Igor, to be her new lab assistant. At first Franny is thrilled (she's always wanted a lab asssistant), but as it becomes clear that Igor does more harm than help, Franny becomes frustrated. The next ...more
Turknoys Demirkol
Mar 24, 2014 Turknoys Demirkol rated it it was amazing
By a 7 year old girl Kylie

This is I would not stop until I finished the whole book. I have three more books like this but that's another review. All I want to say is that this book is totally awesome but some people think it's horrible and untidy but I am a book lover and I think that's it so far.

Thanks for reading!
Sharon
Jun 26, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Franny learns about love in this story and acceptance of an assistant that she wasn't sure was gonna fit into her mad scientist plans but who fits the bill to a T. Recommend to the 8 to 11 crowd who should find it to be lots of fun !!!
Meow
Apr 23, 2015 Meow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book was simply adorable! I love Franny and her creepy/cute twists on how you views things. This is something I can always enjoy when I want a quick read or story-time with kids, such a great read for anyone to enjoy!
Karen
May 18, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
Annabelle: What I like about this book was that Franny had a giant cupid on the street and she, Franny, and her dog, (what's the dogs name? "Igor") Igor, got in love and they helped rebuild Franny's house because it got destroyed.

Karen: We read this together,today. I read most of it, Daniel even repeated a few paragraphs out loud for us, and Annabelle read a few chapters.

This is the first Franny K. Stein book we've read. I thought it was pretty good. I would also give it 3+ stars. I did like it
Earline
Feb 18, 2015 Earline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Franny K Stein, mad scientist, is met with a new challenge: Valentine's Day. In her quest to decipher this strange custom, she unwittingly unleashes a giant 50 foot Cupid! Loved it :)
Ruslan
Oct 11, 2014 Ruslan rated it really liked it
I live all of Jim Bentons books they are all nice short books. I think this book is a great book. Franny has to do Valentines for her class but thinks of her own way of doing it .
Little John
Jan 09, 2016 Little John rated it it was amazing
I really like Franny K Stein! The naked baby in this one was FANTASTIC. This was the first Franny book with Igor in it. Igor is a good dog.
Christine
I liked this second book better than the first one. The illustrations are still the main selling point for me. This one had punnier titles.
Regina Fuller
Aug 27, 2015 Regina Fuller rated it it was amazing
I like this book because more of fun and how she feel. She very smart girl and mad scientist. That is great. I like it.
Kaethe
January 19, 2009

I love Franny's lab assistant so much! A perfect valentine book for kids.

Please, Mr. Benton, please write more Franny K. Stein books.
Jen Bojkov
Good, quirky read starring Franny K. Stein- girl mad-scientist. Cute story with a little bit of gore.
William
May 22, 2014 William rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
The 7 year old enjoys this series. Of course, she thinks herself a mad scientist.
Fani Aisea
Cool book it's a great combination of creepy and cute!
#ValentinesDayFave
Aliahh6
Apr 12, 2013 Aliahh6 rated it really liked it
I though this book was very very good and i liked the part when she showed the teacher her cupid and how she thought it looked. Although i finished this book in one day i could not stop thats how good it was. I think it was the best book i have ever read in my entire live for all 11 years. Now i'm reading another franny k stein book so far i have read 2 in the past 2 days. Every single day i am reading one of the books. I should get all of them thats how much i like it. If i had read all of them ...more
Maya
Niece and nephew loved!
Jatin
Sep 30, 2014 Jatin rated it it was amazing
This is a funny book
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Dracula vs. Grampa at the Monster Truck Spectacular (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #1)
  • Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Goes to Camp!
  • The Rat Brain Fiasco (Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, #1)
  • Camp Babymouse (Babymouse, #6)
  • The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt (Judy Moody & Stink, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Mona Lisa: France (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart, #3)
  • Bad Kitty Gets a Bath
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot Adventures
  • Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything
  • Horrible Harry and the Drop of Doom
  • Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go (Ivy and Bean, #2)
Benton began his career in a custom design t-shirt shop where he started designing his own characters. At the same time, Jim did illustrations and artwork for magazines and newspapers. People magazine named him "the most visible cartoonist in America" .

Benton also created greeting cards and worked in the magazine and publishing industry. In 1998, his SpyDogs characters became an animated series, T
More about Jim Benton...

Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist (7 books)
  • Lunch Walks Among Us (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #1)
  • The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #3)
  • The Fran That Time Forgot (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #4)
  • Frantastic Voyage (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #5)
  • The Fran with Four Brains (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #6)
  • The Frandidate (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #7)