Start by marking “What Color Is Your Parachute? Workbook” as Want to Read:
What Color Is Your Parachute? Workbook

What Color Is Your Parachute? Workbook

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A job-hunter's workbook based on the author's acclaimed Parachute tool, known as the Flower Exercise. It includes worksheets that focus on translating personal interests into marketable job skills, while exploring issues such as emotional and spiritual fulfillment in the workplace.
Paperback, 2009, 48 pages
Published December 1st 2009 by Ten Speed Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about What Color Is Your Parachute? Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Color Is Your Parachute? Workbook

Scott Dinsmore
Why I Read this Book: After reading What Color Is Your Parachute, I wanted to be sure I did all of the steps necessary to get the clearest view possible of my career direction.

Review:

This is the supplemental workbook to accompany What Color Is Your Parachute 2006 that is discussed here. I say supplemental because it is something that must be purchased separate from the main book. I disagree with this piece being supplemental because the exercises detailed in this workbook are fundamental in gett
Christine
the book does offer some helpful tips for the job search process, but i don't remember particularly enjoying this book.
Henry
I never heard of this book until it was recommended as one of many to pick by a career counselor. I think it's excellent. There is a lot of information in it, although not everything will apply to everyone. There is a chapter for those over 50, another for those thinking of owning a small business, working from home, and career changes. What I enjoyed the most is that it shows you how selecting a career starts with you, not with what is "hot" in the job market, which is a mistake that too many o ...more
Stacy
So, the writing style was amusing, but this book is better for someone who has no clue how to look for a job - the majority of the advice in here was something that I have already read, OR it was something that does not apply to a specific field. I would say that it was a good pep talk, but for me, it wasn't realistic.
Erin
Most of the advice in here is something I've heard about a million times before.
Christina
All of the work books with grids, charts and exercises inside are a waste of time, imho. Although I do think there is something to the Meyers-Briggs stuff. I have somewhat of a plan now but not with the help of this book, but rather just living and *doing* gave me an idea. Much of the exercises are forgetable upon completion, quite frankly. As for jobs, I believe in this economy, it's just enough to get one (and wise) to just reach out to as MANY opportunities as possible and worry about pie-in- ...more
Nguyen Truong Nhat Quang
It is called the Bible for job-hunters and is revised every year (yes, I mean every year, since 1970, the latest version is 2013) to keep up with the time.

Not only does it talk about techniques, but also the matter of psychological issue. The whole book is presented under massive useful information that will change your life.
Tatev
Nov 08, 2014 Tatev marked it as to-read
wowwwwwwwwwwww
Bryce
One of the most useful resources to discover what direction my path leads. I would recommend to anyone considering a career change. I formed a workgroup with a couple other people who were changing careers, and shared the results of the exercises, and resources. The chapter on how to get unstuck is psychological gold for when I am feeling overburdened and discouraged. Don't just flip through this one, put the work in to get the best results from the exercises and you may be amazed at the results ...more
Dave
This is one of those books that you think is hokey on the surface. Well, it isn't.

I had a friend tell me that she first read this book back in high school and that it is a good idea to re-read the new edition of the book each year..

The exercises were valuable, if only because they allowed to realize and understand things about myself and my goals that I already subconsciously knew, but would express to myself.

Jessica
I thought this was an excellent, thought provoking book. Just what I needed! I think it would be an excellent gift choice for a high school or college graduate.
I know I will go back to it several times before deciding on a career. There are many steps in the book to refer back to, depending on the stage you are in during your job/career search.
Rosa
Mar 10, 2009 Rosa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who does not know what career to choose.
Recommended to Rosa by: Self research at Borders Books and Music.
I have heard a lot of stories about "What Color Is Your Parachute?" The reputation of this book is pretty good. A very useful book to use, if you have no idea what career is best for you to follow.

This is good to use, if you have gotten laid off your career or if you are unhappy with your current career and want to switch careers.
Brian Anderson
Sep 30, 2008 Brian Anderson is currently reading it
I have the 2009 edition. An exec. friend suggested that I read it. I hate the title, colors, endorsements, awards, and sub-titles but will, out of respect for my friend, try to see past the cover and actually open the book and begin reading it. For now, every element of matter in my body is barfing at the thought of reading it.
Erin
So, I didn't actually read it... I flipped pages, skimmed here and there. My husband read it though and it is really cool. Whether you are looking for a job or just interested in finding out more about yourself this book will open your eyes. I would recommend it to anyone- it is a great resource!
rhea
This was a present, I went through a lot of it and found some of it interesting, but did it help? I don't know... I'm finally sticking to a major at school, but that's for many reasons with the main one being I want to be there this time.
Collin
it was good to read, but I found that I love everything and in that moment I knew I would never have a single proffession.....and then I had a sigh f relief. It feels good when I know I will always be searching. I am ok with that.
Qusay Fayoumi
This book opens your eyes to your skills and potential, a lot of resume and cover letter hints, and places to look for jobs and change careers.

No wonder it has been reprinted so many times
DC
Jun 16, 2013 DC marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to DC by: The Mom
My mom randomly handed it to me just a few moments ago. "Here," says she, "maybe this will help you somehow." As soon as she's out of sight, I chortle and place it on my up-next shelf.
Brynna Schiller
Oct 04, 2008 Brynna Schiller rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone looking for job satisfaction
Recommended to Brynna by: Family, Library, Teacher, Councilor
Shelves: career-search
I've read a couple older copies of this book. Reading one edition is not enough. It is not just an edited copy of the old info... they change and include new information.
Diana
Sometimes the existential turmoil of unemployment leads to shameless pursuits at my local public library. I still don't know what color my parachute is.
mlady_rebecca
The exercises vary in how hard they are, and how useful they are, but overall this is a great book for putting your working life into perspective.
Mary Beth
Jan 25, 2009 Mary Beth marked it as to-read
Yeah, so maybe I don't want to be a stressed out manager dealing with a bunch of hormonal women for the rest of my life...
David
The best thing I found about this book was the exercise of drawing our dream life; using pictures instead of words.
Kristin
May 27, 2009 Kristin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting...can't get past the first couple pages, maybe I should read the actual book first
Diana
An amazing book to help you pinpoint your interests and find a career you really enjoy :-)
Stu Morgan
Nice to have, but not need to have if you already have What Color is Your Parachute.
Beth
If you can get over the corny cartoons, he's got some great advice and mental exercises.
Brie
I hate the fact that I'm reading this book, but I'm getting desperate for work.
orelia
Jun 22, 2013 orelia added it
I have yet to see if I gain anything from this book...
Lauren Hebert
A must read for anyone who is job searching.
  • Do What You Are : Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others
  • Career Match: Connecting Who You Are with What You'll Love to Do
  • The Anti 9 to 5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • Zen and the Art of Making a Living: A Practical Guide to Creative Career Design
  • Law of Connection: The Science of Using NLP to Create Ideal Personal and Professional Relationships
  • The Sexual Healing Journey: A Guide for Survivors of Sexual Abuse
  • Job U: How to Find Wealth and Success by Developing the Skills Companies Actually Need
  • Transitions: Making Sense of Life's Changes
  • Never Check E-Mail In the Morning: And Other Unexpected Strategies for Making Your Work Life Work
  • Creating a Charmed Life: Sensible, Spiritual Secrets Every Busy Woman Should Know
  • Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career
  • The 3 Big Questions for a Frantic Family: A Leadership Fable about Restoring Sanity to the Most Important Organization in Your Life
  • You're Hired: How to Succeed in Business and Life from the Winner of The Apprentice
  • A Year of Living Consciously: 365 Daily Inspirations for Creating a Life of Passion and Purpose
  • TELECOSM: How Infinite Bandwidth will Revolutionize Our World
  • Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead
What Color Is Your Parachute? 2007: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers What Color Is Your Parachute? 2012: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers What Color Is Your Parachute? 2015 What Color Is Your Parachute? 2014: A Practical Manual for Job Hunters and Career Changers What Colour Is Your Parachute? 2008: A Practical Manual for Job-hunters and Career Changers