Start by marking “The Prize” as Want to Read:
The Prize

The Prize

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  1,135 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Novelist Andrew Craig has not been sober in a very long time. After losing his wife in an auto accident he believes to have been his own fault, he turned to the bottle, and to his sister-in-law, Leah, who acts as his caretaker and live-in nurse. Then, when he is awarded the Nobel Prize in literature for his novel, "The Perfect State," a historical jab at communism, he head ...more
Published 1962 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about The Prize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prize

The Godfather by Mario PuzoStrong Medicine by Arthur HaileyThe Firm by Robin A.H. WaterfieldThe Plantation by George McNeillOn Wings of Eagles by Ken Follett
the word
55 books — 13 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Read Up All Night
176 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny
Amazing revelations! Read all about it! Nobel Prize is rigged! Swedish women are hot babes and totally into casual sex! Older Swedish men are Nazis! Alcoholic writers immediately recover when they find true love! Irving Wallace writes crappy formulaic bestsellers with minimal background research [Is this last one right? - Ed]
Barry Eysman
Nov 24, 2011 Barry Eysman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Amazon for helping a resurgence of the novels of Irving Wallace, through Kindle and the books. He was so good and it really was heartbreaking because it seemed for so long he was being forgotten. I've re-read THE SEVEN MINUTES, THE PLOT, THE SEVENTH SECRET, THE PIGEON PROJECT and THE PRIZE and it has been an absolute joy.

These reviews explain and criticize and praise the books more than I am able. But, I can say, they are just so much fun to read. Wallace loved words and he had such a
Iceman
Dec 30, 2012 Iceman rated it liked it
Considerado um clássico da literatura norte-americana, “O Prémio” transformou-se num best-seller aquando da sua publicação em 1964, elevando Irving Wallace à galeria dos autores consagrados, autor que, diga-se, teve uma legião de fãs ao nível dos actuais escritores da moda.

Segundo o próprio Wallace, este romance foi maturado durante 15 anos, tendo o autor visitado em pormenor os locais, conhecido pessoas que serviram de modelo e lido muito acerca do assunto principal: Os Prémios Nobel.

O livro in
Chaitanya krishnan
Apr 18, 2011 Chaitanya krishnan rated it it was amazing
Found it quite fascinating.. the procedures involved in notifying the laureates of their Nobel prize, etc.. also since the hero decides to take an unconventional route to the destination, you get a vibrant peek into the lifestyle of the swiss.. fun and informative at the same time.

the latter part of the book is where you discover the nazi connectiona and then all the different plotlines.. basically revolving around each of the nobel laureates is quite involving.. left me wanting more.

note: had s
Greer Andjanetta
Nov 13, 2012 Greer Andjanetta rated it it was amazing
An older story but not out of date. An excellent author and a thoroughly researched novel (15 yrs). The prize of the title is the Nobel prize and the book contains MANY references to historical Nobel awards and anecdotes as well as considerable Swedish dialogue by which the author seems to want to demonstrate his acquired Swedish vocabulary. A very readable story though about an American winner, his adventures in Sweden and recovery from an alcoholic condition.
Ron
Oct 04, 2013 Ron rated it really liked it
Long and compelling with Wallace at his best.. great imagination, research, & creative character development.
Having read the book over 40 years ago, it was still fun to read again about his authentic description of the restaurants, streets, hotels, etc. in Stockholm.
Sandeep
Jul 18, 2013 Sandeep rated it it was amazing
Awesome read; very well researched especially since it involves one of the most coveted prize give aways for achievements. A plot that will keep you gripped throughout. Wonder why it was not made into a movie? Must read! !
Apparently, so I am told a movie was made
Denisse
Feb 19, 2013 Denisse rated it really liked it
Ya lo he leído como 2 veces, pero tenía rato que no lo hacía, me gusta mucho, creo que es una obra muy buena de un escritor un poco mediocre, vale la pena.
KARTHIK B
Mar 09, 2017 KARTHIK B rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wallace
Exposes Noble Prize!!
Judy

Irving Wallace's novel about the Nobel Prize was the #8 bestselling book in 1962. It took him over a decade to research and write. Unfortunately his research lays too heavily within the story and made the book overly long.

I could say that I got quite an education about the prizes but I would rather have looked all that up on Wikipedia and then enjoyed the story. Of course, Wikipedia did not exist in 1962.

By following the stories of six fictional Nobel winners, their associated wives or relatives
Miguel Ángel
May 04, 2012 Miguel Ángel rated it it was amazing
Realmente este libro me causó una total mezcla de emociones, desde el asombro, el odio y la intriga, hasta la ternura y la bondad.

Es una novela que puede parecer muy imponente, debido a su voluminosidad, 750 pags. en mi caso pero esto se debe a la increiblemente detallada descripción, tanto de los personajes, como de los lugares en los que se desarrolla la historia porque la historia, no es para nada aburrida y sosa.

En verdad, no me malinterpreten, pero lo mejor de la novela fue el final, pues e
Gautham Vasan
Aug 10, 2015 Gautham Vasan rated it liked it
The prize shows great promise of building up to be great book. The first half of the book is a gripping read. But Irving Wallace gives in to the requirements of a formulaic bestseller. The second half comprises of a far fetched story which the author somehow tries to merge with the brilliant first half. He tries to establish connections where none exist. Unlike the idealistic author Andrew Craig in his story, he does a hatchet job of a second rate fiction thriller filled with too many unlikely c ...more
Sheila
Feb 02, 2013 Sheila rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Friends and family
Recommended to Sheila by: myself
Before I finish reading this book which I have read few years ago there was a movie made in 1963 staring my favorite actor Paul Newman and not sure if I have seen her movies before but she is staring in this movie Elka Sommer. My husband watched that movie in 1970. I have never seen that movie. From movie reviews it seems difficult to find the movie in English. If I ever find one will make sure to watch. Like all movies made from books I am sure to enjoy the book more than movie.

There were too m
Gayathri
Jan 10, 2011 Gayathri rated it liked it
Its one of the books which shows every big affair in this world has murky side. It gives a glimpse of what all goes in deciding who are the nobel prize winners. At the time I was reading this book, Barack Obama was announced as Nobel Peace prize winner and the book made all the sense(since nobody could understand why he was given that award).
The emptiness of a scientist's life who has achieved everything and is still not satisfied (the chemistry award winners) , the impact of the concentration c
Jack
Jul 21, 2012 Jack rated it liked it

Best understood as a period piece, defined by and along the cold war ideological divide, with each page dripping down the exalted pedestal of north-western European patriarchal superiority. The sort of attitude that hasn't aged as gracefully as the regal bearing of the white males endlessly memorialised by the text. The Prize followed the outline of the alcoholic Swedish writers admonition to the literary laureate to put the pressing issues of the day into the present. The kind of taken advice t
Jim Puskas
Aug 25, 2012 Jim Puskas rated it liked it
Shelves: human-relations
Not great literature but a first-class commercial novel, by which I mean that it's the kind of thing that sells well, being topical, colorful, fast-moving and very readable. There are shortcomings: Wallace introduces perhaps too many characters, each with their own story, to be able to develop any of them thoroughly. And I felt that he became over-indulgent toward his main character, Andrew Craig who is having a great time feeling sorry for himself. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book and will prob ...more
Kruti
Oct 29, 2016 Kruti rated it really liked it
Very creatively written. I have always loved his choice of concepts or back drops he chooses for his books. The Nobel Prize complete procedure from the invitation to the ceremony was very well explained with a small fictional story weaved. Initially though I felt a bit slow paced, once the plot began, it is a page turner. I loved the way the author described each character. Best part of his writings is he doesn't bring unnecessary characters in the story. Every character has a important role in ...more
Rosemary
Oct 23, 2016 Rosemary rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful! It follows 6 Nobel winners. There's plenty of information of each winner and what problems they're encountering in their personal lives. However, be warned! This book is 700 pages! There are some quiet times in the book where there's much background being explained. I feel the book is worth the attention needed to get to the end. It was written in the early 60's but that didn't matter. The plot line is somewhat still relevant. I totally enjoyed this book!
Wiwien Wintarto
Jul 05, 2011 Wiwien Wintarto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Banyak hal bagus, tapi hanya 2 yang sangat PENTING bagiku. And i really mean it, PENTING!
1. pandangan orang Swedia ttg seks. sangat bagus dan rasional. patut dipraktekkan! haha...! pesan moralnya: jangan menggunakan cinta batin (nikah) hanya utk sekadar mendapatkan cinta fisik (seks). kalo udah bosen lantas nyari isteri baru yang ke 3-4 dst, haha...!
2. kamp nudis. tp no comment. silakan dibayangkan sendiri...!
Uci
Dec 27, 2008 Uci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hal pertama yang membuat gw ngiler adalah ketebalan buku ini. Karena belinya waktu jaman kuliah, ketika semua pengeluaran harus dihitung masak-masak, maka buku teballah yang menjadi pilihan saat belanja.

Dan ternyata gw tidak salah pilih. Lewat buku ini gw jadi tahu bahwa hadiah nobel ternyata banyak skandalnya dan nggak se'lempeng' itu. Irving Wallace tekun banget memasukkan data dan fakta, yang membuat The Prize menjadi buku yang sangat detil. Obsesi pribadi mungkin?
Rakhi Dalal
Mar 11, 2012 Rakhi Dalal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it almost ten years back. So, while I don't exactly remember the names of all characters, I do remember some incidents as narrated by the narrator. What struck me most about this book was the ironic depiction of the hype relating to World's most prestigious prize i.e. The Nobel Prize. Better still was the portrayal of the Prize winning central character, which conveyed that, at the end of the day, he was just another human being. I remember it did engross me at that time.
Ana Borba
It's a good (long) book. I love how the author intertwined the stories of all the nominees to the Nobel Prize, as we see them grow mature and manage their own problems.
It's also a great perspective of the 60's world panorama, but as you read it, you sometimes have the feeling that the book is recent.

I almost feel sorry that some of the characters never truly existed... lol :)
Dorai Thodla
Sep 21, 2013 Dorai Thodla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
An article on "How Nobel Prize was born" made me remember that I did not add this to my list of books read.

I first read it in mid 60s (the original book was published in 1962) and reread it about 10 years ago. It is one of my all time favorite books and probably the best of Irwing Wallace, I have read (may be the first too).
Ken
Jun 23, 2010 Ken rated it liked it
Konfliknya cukup seru, penggambaran setting sangat detail dan jelas. Hanya saja pengarangnya memaksa untuk menampilkan fakta sebanyak mungkin, akibatnya bukunya kelewat tebal dan dialognya tidak alami (masak ada sih orang yang bisa meningat detail-detail tahun sebanyak itu?)
Pradeep Nair
Jul 06, 2015 Pradeep Nair rated it liked it
Gives you an understanding of how the Nobel Prize system works. There is a lot of factual details interwoven into the the long story line. However, I found the book a bit too long, with too many characters and too many plots and sub-plots.
Anirudhsuseel
Oct 26, 2012 Anirudhsuseel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The one thing I remember is the hell a lady(may be heroine, i dont remember) suffers in her past being harassed sexually and the turn of events as the nobel laureates are gathered in one place and their personal and political affairs come into play.
Chris Gager
Jun 20, 2011 Chris Gager rated it liked it
Seems like there's a vague recollection of this in my mind. Or is it for "The Oscar"? Seems like I enjoyed fairly pulpy reading back in the day. Still do but it needs to be well written. Date read is a guess.
Catarina Silva
Nov 21, 2014 Catarina Silva rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Uma das melhores obras que já li.
Tenho pena de não haver uma sexta estrela para poder destacar O Prémio acima das outras obras. De um brilhantismo e qualidade de escrita como é raro encontrar num autor. A obra podia ter mais 750, que as iria ler com todo o deleite, sem nunca me cansar.
Cindy
May 17, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Classic Irving Wallace mixture of multiple characters and subplots leading to a climactic resolution. The Prize referred to is the Noble Prize [in multiple areas:].
Gale Jake
Dec 28, 2011 Gale Jake rated it really liked it
Well written, good insight into the Nobel Prize. I read it a long time ago, but the fact that it stands out in my mind means it would stay on my library shelf
  • Landslide
  • The Evening News
  • The Crash of '79
  • O Jogo da Verdade
  • The Salamander
  • Brazil (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Brain Dead
  • The Inheritors
  • Florida Heat (Florida Heat Murder Mystery Series)
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
  • The Scribe
  • A Ilustre Casa de Ramires
  • Now Go Out There: (and Get Curious)
  • Esteiros
  • The Case of the Troubled Trustee
  • The Origins of the Second World War
  • Of Mice and Magic: A History of American Animated Cartoons; Revised and Updated
  • Come Nineveh, Come Tyre: The Presidency of Edward M. Jason
Irving Wallace was an American bestselling author and screenwriter. His extensively researched books included such page-turners as The Chapman Report (1960), about human sexuality; The Prize (1962), a fictional behind-the-scenes account of the Nobel Prizes; The Man, about a black man becoming president of the U.S. in the 1960s; and The Word (1972), about the discovery of a new gospel.

Wallace was b
More about Irving Wallace...