The Prize

The Prize

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  685 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Novelist Andrew Craig has not been sober in a very long time. After losing his wife in an auto accident he believes to have been his own fault, he turned to the bottle, and to his sister-in-law, Leah, who acts as his caretaker and live-in nurse. Then, when he is awarded the Nobel Prize in literature for his novel, "The Perfect State," a historical jab at communism, he head...more
Published 1962 by Signet

Strong Medicine by Arthur HaileyThe Plantation by George McNeillThe Godfather by Mario PuzoThe Man From St. Petersburg by Ken FollettOn Wings of Eagles by Ken Follett
the word
53rd out of 55 books — 5 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Read Up All Night
164th out of 266 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny
Amazing revelations! Read all about it! Nobel Prize is rigged! Swedish women are hot babes and totally into casual sex! Older Swedish men are Nazis! Alcoholic writers immediately recover when they find true love! Irving Wallace writes crappy formulaic bestsellers with minimal background research [Is this last one right? - Ed]
Barry Eysman
Thank you Amazon for helping a resurgence of the novels of Irving Wallace, through Kindle and the books. He was so good and it really was heartbreaking because it seemed for so long he was being forgotten. I've re-read THE SEVEN MINUTES, THE PLOT, THE SEVENTH SECRET, THE PIGEON PROJECT and THE PRIZE and it has been an absolute joy.

These reviews explain and criticize and praise the books more than I am able. But, I can say, they are just so much fun to read. Wallace loved words and he had such a...more
Chaitanya krishnan
Found it quite fascinating.. the procedures involved in notifying the laureates of their Nobel prize, etc.. also since the hero decides to take an unconventional route to the destination, you get a vibrant peek into the lifestyle of the swiss.. fun and informative at the same time.

the latter part of the book is where you discover the nazi connectiona and then all the different plotlines.. basically revolving around each of the nobel laureates is quite involving.. left me wanting more.

note: had s...more
Greer Andjanetta
An older story but not out of date. An excellent author and a thoroughly researched novel (15 yrs). The prize of the title is the Nobel prize and the book contains MANY references to historical Nobel awards and anecdotes as well as considerable Swedish dialogue by which the author seems to want to demonstrate his acquired Swedish vocabulary. A very readable story though about an American winner, his adventures in Sweden and recovery from an alcoholic condition.
Ron
Long and compelling with Wallace at his best.. great imagination, research, & creative character development.
Having read the book over 40 years ago, it was still fun to read again about his authentic description of the restaurants, streets, hotels, etc. in Stockholm.
Sandeep
Awesome read; very well researched especially since it involves one of the most coveted prize give aways for achievements. A plot that will keep you gripped throughout. Wonder why it was not made into a movie? Must read! !
Apparently, so I am told a movie was made
Iceman
Considerado um clássico da literatura norte-americana, “O Prémio” transformou-se num best-seller aquando da sua publicação em 1964, elevando Irving Wallace à galeria dos autores consagrados, autor que, diga-se, teve uma legião de fãs ao nível dos actuais escritores da moda.

Segundo o próprio Wallace, este romance foi maturado durante 15 anos, tendo o autor visitado em pormenor os locais, conhecido pessoas que serviram de modelo e lido muito acerca do assunto principal: Os Prémios Nobel.

O livro in...more
Miguel Ángel
Realmente este libro me causó una total mezcla de emociones, desde el asombro, el odio y la intriga, hasta la ternura y la bondad.

Es una novela que puede parecer muy imponente, debido a su voluminosidad, 750 pags. en mi caso pero esto se debe a la increiblemente detallada descripción, tanto de los personajes, como de los lugares en los que se desarrolla la historia porque la historia, no es para nada aburrida y sosa.

En verdad, no me malinterpreten, pero lo mejor de la novela fue el final, pues e...more
Sheila
Feb 26, 2013 Sheila rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Friends and family
Recommended to Sheila by: myself
Before I finish reading this book which I have read few years ago there was a movie made in 1963 staring my favorite actor Paul Newman and not sure if I have seen her movies before but she is staring in this movie Elka Sommer. My husband watched that movie in 1970. I have never seen that movie. From movie reviews it seems difficult to find the movie in English. If I ever find one will make sure to watch. Like all movies made from books I am sure to enjoy the book more than movie.

There were too m...more
Mahareni Maldini
Yang nampol di kepala cuma apa yang dialami Emily Stratman selama disekap di kamp konsentrasi Ravensbrück. Benar-benar mengerikaaaaaaan...............
Nipun
A good read, peppered with lots of interesting facts.Good mix of fact and fiction - gives a ringside view of the Nobel Prize.
Rene Townsend
I liked this book as it is all about humanity. However it is just a little too drawn out and in my option it would have been a better read if there was at least 25% less of it.
Gayathri
Its one of the books which shows every big affair in this world has murky side. It gives a glimpse of what all goes in deciding who are the nobel prize winners. At the time I was reading this book, Barack Obama was announced as Nobel Peace prize winner and the book made all the sense(since nobody could understand why he was given that award).
The emptiness of a scientist's life who has achieved everything and is still not satisfied (the chemistry award winners) , the impact of the concentration c...more
Jack

Best understood as a period piece, defined by and along the cold war ideological divide, with each page dripping down the exalted pedestal of north-western European patriarchal superiority. The sort of attitude that hasn't aged as gracefully as the regal bearing of the white males endlessly memorialised by the text. The Prize followed the outline of the alcoholic Swedish writers admonition to the literary laureate to put the pressing issues of the day into the present. The kind of taken advice t...more
Jim Puskas
Not great literature but a first-class commercial novel, by which I mean that it's the kind of thing that sells well, being topical, colorful, fast-moving and very readable. There are shortcomings: Wallace introduces perhaps too many characters, each with their own story, to be able to develop any of them thoroughly. And I felt that he became over-indulgent toward his main character, Andrew Craig who is having a great time feeling sorry for himself. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book and will prob...more
Rakhi Dalal
I read it almost ten years back. So, while I don't exactly remember the names of all characters, I do remember some incidents as narrated by the narrator. What struck me most about this book was the ironic depiction of the hype relating to World's most prestigious prize i.e. The Nobel Prize. Better still was the portrayal of the Prize winning central character, which conveyed that, at the end of the day, he was just another human being. I remember it did engross me at that time.
Uci
Hal pertama yang membuat gw ngiler adalah ketebalan buku ini. Karena belinya waktu jaman kuliah, ketika semua pengeluaran harus dihitung masak-masak, maka buku teballah yang menjadi pilihan saat belanja.

Dan ternyata gw tidak salah pilih. Lewat buku ini gw jadi tahu bahwa hadiah nobel ternyata banyak skandalnya dan nggak se'lempeng' itu. Irving Wallace tekun banget memasukkan data dan fakta, yang membuat The Prize menjadi buku yang sangat detil. Obsesi pribadi mungkin?
Karina
I remember I enjoyed this one, mostly because all the information about the Nobel Prize. Will have to read it again someday, if I can remember who I lent it to.
Wiwien Wintarto
Banyak hal bagus, tapi hanya 2 yang sangat PENTING bagiku. And i really mean it, PENTING!
1. pandangan orang Swedia ttg seks. sangat bagus dan rasional. patut dipraktekkan! haha...! pesan moralnya: jangan menggunakan cinta batin (nikah) hanya utk sekadar mendapatkan cinta fisik (seks). kalo udah bosen lantas nyari isteri baru yang ke 3-4 dst, haha...!
2. kamp nudis. tp no comment. silakan dibayangkan sendiri...!
Dorai Thodla
An article on "How Nobel Prize was born" made me remember that I did not add this to my list of books read.

I first read it in mid 60s (the original book was published in 1962) and reread it about 10 years ago. It is one of my all time favorite books and probably the best of Irwing Wallace, I have read (may be the first too).
Ken
Konfliknya cukup seru, penggambaran setting sangat detail dan jelas. Hanya saja pengarangnya memaksa untuk menampilkan fakta sebanyak mungkin, akibatnya bukunya kelewat tebal dan dialognya tidak alami (masak ada sih orang yang bisa meningat detail-detail tahun sebanyak itu?)
Anirudhsuseel
The one thing I remember is the hell a lady(may be heroine, i dont remember) suffers in her past being harassed sexually and the turn of events as the nobel laureates are gathered in one place and their personal and political affairs come into play.
Chris Gager
Seems like there's a vague recollection of this in my mind. Or is it for "The Oscar"? Seems like I enjoyed fairly pulpy reading back in the day. Still do but it needs to be well written. Date read is a guess.
Cindy
Classic Irving Wallace mixture of multiple characters and subplots leading to a climactic resolution. The Prize referred to is the Noble Prize [in multiple areas:].
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
Sangattttt teballllllll

sebagai permbanding, bisa baca ini

Prizes by Erich Segal
Gale Jake
Well written, good insight into the Nobel Prize. I read it a long time ago, but the fact that it stands out in my mind means it would stay on my library shelf
Denisse
Ya lo he leído como 2 veces, pero tenía rato que no lo hacía, me gusta mucho, creo que es una obra muy buena de un escritor un poco mediocre, vale la pena.
Rose
Sep 05, 2007 Rose rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
mine is of 1961/1962 copyright, red cover, with illustration of a nude couple who just had _ _ _, talks about the Nobel, great read
Helden
It was a good book if you want to learn about the Nobel Prize. I liked the way the author linked world history with the plot.
Saptono Hadinata
Kisah di balik para penerima nobel....tebel mampus, tapi loe gak akan berhenti membacanya hingga halaman terakhir...
  • Landslide
  • The Evening News
  • The Betsy
  • O Filho de Mil Homens
  • A Voz dos Deuses
  • Topaz
  • A Ilustre Casa de Ramires
  • Guardian of the Dawn (The Sephardic Cycle, #3)
  • As Três Vidas
  • The Shoes of the Fisherman
  • Conspiracy (Deep Black, #6)
  • Os Pilares da Terra - Volume II
  • The Library
  • The Dead Shall Not Rest
  • Out of the Shelter
  • Um Rio Chamado Tempo, Uma Casa Chamada Terra
  • Os Livros que Devoraram o Meu Pai
  • Trust Fund
Irving Wallace was an American bestselling author and screenwriter. His extensively researched books included such page-turners as The Chapman Report (1960), about human sexuality; The Prize (1962), a fictional behind-the-scenes account of the Nobel Prizes; The Man, about a black man becoming president of the U.S. in the 1960s; and The Word (1972), about the discovery of a new gospel.

Wallace was b...more
More about Irving Wallace...
The Second Lady The Seventh Secret The Word The Seven Minutes The Man