The Kindness Handbook: A Practical Companion

The Kindness Handbook: A Practical Companion

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Why is it that kindness seems so hard to give precisely when it's needed most? With TheKindness Handbook, bestselling author and renowned meditation instructor Sharon Salzberg answers this question and more in her practical companion to inspire generosity of the spirit in any life situation. Just as cruelty can ravage lives and trample hope, kindness can be the quality we...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Sounds True

Doreen Platt
I keep my copy of this book right by my bed at all times as it has so much wisdom in it in addition to detailed instructions on how to practice the metta meditation (loving kindness).

Since I first learned about the metta meditation many years ago, it has enriched my life in a variety of ways. One example is that when I find myself getting upset with someone, I stop and say the metta meditation for them as one cannot send thoughts of loving kindness to someone and remain angry at them. That allow...more
Julie
There are times when the right book falls into your hands at exactly the moment you need it too. I've had that experience too many times to discount the pages telling me to "read on" even if I'm not sold on the premiss, the story, the character, the facts or figures; so when this combination of philosophy, religion and self-help spoke to me I listened. You should too.
Sandy
A simple and truthful piece.
Satia
I think if I had read this before reading Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness I would have appreciated it more. I found this book to be a watered down version of the other and prefer the older book over this one. For more:

Carrie Stevens
This book makes you feel like you're capable of so much loving-kindness and goodness in the world around you. It was bus-reading for me on a business trip and was a treat for me every day I got to pick it up.
Liz
My husband kindly gave me this book off my Amazon wishlist this Christmas and I gobbled it up in one sitting. I did a program with Sharon Salzberg last year and it was a highlight of 2008. Her kind voice comes right through in these pages, with great wisdom. An amazing dharma book!
Ellina
I thought this book was extremely boring, I could not finish it. I read a little over half of the book. Its not that this topic is not interesting to me, I actually enjoy reading books by Thich Nhat Hanh. Unfortunately this big was a big no no for me.
Julia
Every so often, I find myself drawn to books on meditation. This one, as the title suggest, focuses on the loving-kindness meditation. It's an easy-to-read book, and of course, the actual meditation is much harder to put into practice.
Walker
I learned that spiritual life is a place where the means and the end are the same...there is a bigger picture!

It also was an introduction to metta meditation.
Happyreader
An extremely quick read, this book is full of little kindness nuggets -- but no real insights like her earlier books Lovingkindness and Faith.
Emily Mellow
Didn't feel the need to read this along with the other book by her that I was reading at the same time, it felt redundant.
Janet
Fave chapters: Confidence, Delighting in Goodness, and Life Lessons.
Beth
Lovely common Buddha sense.
Emily
Emily is currently reading it
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Lori
Lori added it
Hortus Conclusus
Hortus Conclusus marked it as to-read
Pei-yi Lin
Pei-yi Lin marked it as to-read
Ale
Ale added it
Jul 07, 2014
Colby Bell
Colby Bell marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Mary Wolf
Mary Wolf marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Audrey Pomikal douglas
Audrey Pomikal douglas marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
One of America’s leading spiritual teachers and authors, Sharon Salzberg is cofounder of the Insight Meditation Society (IMS) in Barre, Massachusetts. She has played a crucial role in bringing Asian meditation practices to the West. The ancient Buddhist practices of vipassana (mindfulness) and metta (lovingkindness) are the foundations of her work.
More about Sharon Salzberg...
Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience Insight Meditation Kit A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness

“As an ability, love is always there as a potential, ready to flourish and
help our lives flourish. As we go up and down in life, as we acquire or
lose, as we are showered with praise or unfairly blamed, always within
there is the ability of love, recognized or not, given life or not.”
8 likes