Start by marking “The Kindness Handbook: A Practical Companion” as Want to Read:
The Kindness Handbook: A Practical Companion

The Kindness Handbook: A Practical Companion

A friend criticizes you. You grow impatient with someone you're trying to help. A cell phone user annoys you on a train. Would your first response to these situations be kindness? In The Kindness Handbook, Sharon Salzberg explores with insight and clarity how kindness for ourselves and others can be the quality we choose to steer our lives by. From the foundation of this t ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about The Kindness Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kindness Handbook

Doreen Platt
Mar 31, 2013 Doreen Platt rated it it was amazing
I keep my copy of this book right by my bed at all times as it has so much wisdom in it in addition to detailed instructions on how to practice the metta meditation (loving kindness).

Since I first learned about the metta meditation many years ago, it has enriched my life in a variety of ways. One example is that when I find myself getting upset with someone, I stop and say the metta meditation for them as one cannot send thoughts of loving kindness to someone and remain angry at them. That allow
Amanda
Feb 18, 2017 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I loved this book about kindness. I agree with so much of what it says, it spoke right to me. This is one that I can see myself reading again and buying a copy to keep.
Julie
May 02, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fic
There are times when the right book falls into your hands at exactly the moment you need it too. I've had that experience too many times to discount the pages telling me to "read on" even if I'm not sold on the premiss, the story, the character, the facts or figures; so when this combination of philosophy, religion and self-help spoke to me I listened. You should too.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Dec 21, 2015 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it liked it
Shelves: healing
Salzberg shares the way we can subtly shift our thoughts and actions toward compassion.

And, in doing so, we can change our lives.
Linda Hollingsworth
Feb 08, 2014 Linda Hollingsworth rated it really liked it
If you are asking yourself why you would want to read this seeminglly simple book you might be interested in considering the basic premise behind the idea of kindness: "Vulnerability in the face of constant change is what we share, whatever our present condition." The kindness reflex towards ourselves and others transforms us and has the capability of transforming our society, the context in which we live our lives. Since we often are faced with conditons we can't change, developing skills to he ...more
Satia
I think if I had read this before reading Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness I would have appreciated it more. I found this book to be a watered down version of the other and prefer the older book over this one. For more:

Ceruleancat
May 01, 2016 Ceruleancat rated it really liked it
Quick but powerful read--an extended meditation on kindness and metta. Salzberg is one of my favorite Buddhist authors--full of a real radiant sense of wisdom behind her words.

The most powerful part for me (at this reading) is the notion, early on, that 'love is an ability'. What a transformative thought!--that love could be something we could cultivate and nurture, that we can practice, in meditation, tending our garden of kindness.
Lauren
Aug 27, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: meditation
A beautiful book and introduction to lovingkindness - I've used several times in my personal practice, and lead a meditation circle with one of the metta meditations last night. Salzberg weaves her words together in these short and meaningful pieces.
Ellina
Dec 04, 2013 Ellina rated it it was ok
I thought this book was extremely boring, I could not finish it. I read a little over half of the book. Its not that this topic is not interesting to me, I actually enjoy reading books by Thich Nhat Hanh. Unfortunately this big was a big no no for me.
Julia
Jul 24, 2010 Julia rated it really liked it
Every so often, I find myself drawn to books on meditation. This one, as the title suggest, focuses on the loving-kindness meditation. It's an easy-to-read book, and of course, the actual meditation is much harder to put into practice.
Olivia Winter
Jun 30, 2016 Olivia Winter rated it really liked it
I used this book as my pre-meditation morning reading, for which is was perfect thanks to its very short chapters. It's probably not the best book to learn about Lovingkindness but as a short intro or entertaining read it's great.
Carrie Stevens
Jan 05, 2014 Carrie Stevens rated it it was amazing
This book makes you feel like you're capable of so much loving-kindness and goodness in the world around you. It was bus-reading for me on a business trip and was a treat for me every day I got to pick it up.
Liz
Jan 01, 2009 Liz rated it it was amazing
My husband kindly gave me this book off my Amazon wishlist this Christmas and I gobbled it up in one sitting. I did a program with Sharon Salzberg last year and it was a highlight of 2008. Her kind voice comes right through in these pages, with great wisdom. An amazing dharma book!
Happyreader
May 04, 2009 Happyreader rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
An extremely quick read, this book is full of little kindness nuggets -- but no real insights like her earlier books Lovingkindness and Faith.
Serena Andrews
Aug 14, 2013 Serena Andrews rated it really liked it
Entertaining.
Shannon
Oct 11, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Very insightful, as always
Sandy
Feb 09, 2014 Sandy rated it it was amazing
A simple and truthful piece.
Walker
Feb 23, 2009 Walker rated it really liked it
I learned that spiritual life is a place where the means and the end are the same...there is a bigger picture!

It also was an introduction to metta meditation.
Cornerofmadness
Jun 03, 2016 Cornerofmadness rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual
It's exactly what you expect in a spiritual book on working kindness into your life. I found it helpful and I'll be sharing my copy with a friend.
Beth
Aug 11, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it
Lovely common Buddha sense.
Emily Mellow
Nov 10, 2013 Emily Mellow rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
Didn't feel the need to read this along with the other book by her that I was reading at the same time, it felt redundant.
Todd45387
Aug 06, 2015 Todd45387 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful resource

This book is life changing and life enhancing in its simplicity. Sharon Salzberg knows kindness like the back of her hand!
Janet
Jun 08, 2009 Janet rated it really liked it
Fave chapters: Confidence, Delighting in Goodness, and Life Lessons.
Minh Nguyen
Minh Nguyen rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2016
Nancy Hill
Nancy Hill rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2016
Hiltraut
Hiltraut rated it did not like it
Nov 01, 2010
Candice
Candice rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 12, 2013
Sandy
Sandy rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2009
Elisha
Elisha rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Chocolate Cake Sutra: Ingredients for a Sweet Life
  • How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials, #1)
  • Unconditional Confidence: Instructions for Meeting Any Experience with Trust and Courage
  • Happiness Is an Inside Job: Practicing for a Joyful Life
  • Making a Change for Good: A Guide to Compassionate Self-Discipline
  • Finding Freedom: Writings from Death Row
  • Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death
  • The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the Works of Carlos Castaneda
  • Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation
  • Bearing Witness: A Zen Master's Lessons in Making Peace
  • The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness, Compassion, and Kindness
  • How to Love Yourself (and Sometimes Other People): Spiritual Advice for Modern Relationships
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • Quiet Mind: A Beginner's Guide to Meditation
  • At Hell's Gate: A Soldier's Journey
  • The Eight Gates of Zen: A Program of Zen Training
  • A Handbook of Chakra Healing: Spiritual Practice for Health, Harmony, and Inner Peace
  • Sweeping Changes:  Discovering the Joy of Zen in Everyday Tasks
One of America’s leading spiritual teachers and authors, Sharon Salzberg is cofounder of the Insight Meditation Society (IMS) in Barre, Massachusetts. She has played a crucial role in bringing Asian meditation practices to the West. The ancient Buddhist practices of vipassana (mindfulness) and metta (lovingkindness) are the foundations of her work.
More about Sharon Salzberg...

“As an ability, love is always there as a potential, ready to flourish and
help our lives flourish. As we go up and down in life, as we acquire or
lose, as we are showered with praise or unfairly blamed, always within
there is the ability of love, recognized or not, given life or not.”
9 likes