Start by marking “The Love Letter” as Want to Read:
The Love Letter

The Love Letter

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  1,105 ratings  ·  162 reviews
Ein anonymer Liebesbrief bringt die wohlgeordnete Welt der attraktiven Helen McFarquhar aus dem Gleichgewicht: ob geschrieben vom »Jungen in Flammen« oder nur ein belangloser Scherz, der Brief verstrickt die kühle Verführerin in Leidenschaften, die in ihrem Leben eigentlich gar keinen Platz mehr haben. Ein unbeschwerter, sommerlicher Wandel auf dem Pfad der Selbsterkenntni ...more
Published April 17th 2007 by Picador (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Letter

The Notebook by Nicholas SparksThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienStardust by Neil Gaiman
The MOVIE was BETTER than the BOOK
410th out of 802 books — 8,380 voters
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffMr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin SloanThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldThe Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
Books About Bookstores
24th out of 97 books — 281 voters

More lists with this book...

Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Heard about the book because of the movie, which was okay but good in parts. The setting and the bookstore especially. Oh and Ellen of course.

So while browsing the shelves (isn't it always), I saw the book and the cover is nice, what with the beach in the background. Gives off a cozy vibe in a way.

Anyway, you have a bunch of characters, a mysterious love letter and a bookstore. But mostly it revolves around two characters, bookstore employees Helen and Johnny and a love affair begins.

All because
Rosina Lippi
This is one of those books I meant to read years ago and finally got around to, simply because it slipped out of a pile and fell on my foot, and I took the hint.

One of the basic rules about telling stories, or at least one of the rules I agree with, is that somehow, in the course of the story, the main character has to change. Not in any particular way or direction, but the story itself has to work on the main characters in some observable way. Cathleen Schine took a main character I didn’t like
Carolyn Hill
Judging from the title, you'd think this was a genre romance novel, but with glowing reviews from the NY Times Book Review, Vogue, LA Times, and Boston Globe on the back cover, you know it's not. I picked up this book on a whim, going by said reviews, and thinking it was recent. Turns out it was published in 1995. That usually doesn't bother me - and if it's still considered good enough to be found in the local bookstore chain, much less still in publication, that's typically a good sign. It has ...more
Sharyl
Helen MacFarquar is a 42-year-old, divorced single mother who runs a bookstore. She has this happy, settled life until she comes across a mysterious love letter, which (being a little self-absorbed) she immediately assumes is inspired and addressed to herself. Helen finds this letter so intense, that she becomes obsessed with it, and it disrupts her inner peace. The mystery of where the letter came from, and who it concerns, draws her into having an affair with a 20-year-old summer hire.

"Dear Go
Megan
Ok, this book is perhaps a little cheesy, but it's also an entertaining read and actually has better writing than I thought it would have. The characters even mostly escaped being either stereotypes or ciphers, and their relationship developments while nothing overly exciting actually surprised me. At least seeing them bounce around each other as the letter changes hands, and reading the different ways they all take the letter them into themselves and assume it's about them or meant for them, wa ...more
Karen Powell
The summary: Helen, the single-mom boss of her own bookstore in a college town, finds a love letter of which the writer and recipient is unknown to her, but it changes her life anyway. Her thoughts turn to love and letters, and her new 20-year-old employee Johnny, who has a crush on her. Their secret affair tears at them and threatens to be exposed as their various family members come back to live with them in Pequod.[return][return]As for the writing, the first half is torture, with its repetit ...more
Bookshop
There is nothing more satisfying than realizing that the book you have on hand is actually fun and engaging and you cannot stop reading. This is such book.

I picked this book, stylishly, in a used bookstore somewhere in Europe. I've always conjured up images of chic little me browsing smelly and musty but chic used bookstores with sunglasses chicly perched on my head picking up chic literary gems. However, upon flipping the first few pages at home, I was disappointed with this book and its excess
Elizabeth
This is one of those books that I appreciated on an intellectual level but couldn't connect with emotionally. Cathleen Schine is an inventive and thoughtful writer, and the rich inner lives she creates for her characters far exceed the depth of a more typical romance novel. But Schine also spends SO much time in her characters' heads that the pacing suffers, and I had to really force myself to get through this. Also, while the main character is supposed to be charismatic and irresistible, I foun ...more
Judy
Anna Berry
This started out so great; saturated and indulgent language, a mysetrious letter, a lady on her own, I was all in. Then I reached chapter 7 and I was waiting for another letter to arrive and for the plot to get past Johnny. And then I realised it wouldn't. I felt like I'd been promised so much but was suddenly left treading water. Then it all became more of the same rather quickly. How disappointing! The ending was so anti climatic, wow, what a lazy way to finish the story.
Melissa
Mar 18, 2011 Melissa marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I really liked The Three Weissmanns of Westport by the same author, so I finally took this off my personal bookshelf. I gave it 100 pages, but I really couldn't get into it. I didn't care about the characters, I didn't sympathize with their concerns, etc. And while that isn't necessarily a requirement for me to enjoy a book, the author seemed to be trying very hard to make me understand the characters motivations. And I guess I didn't really care...
Mary Robinson
It took me awhile to decide if I was going to keep reading this book because it moved so slowly, but then I got to a point where I couldn’t put it down. The main character, ornery, charming, very funny Helen, a forty-something book store owner, and the mystery of the love letter are why. This love letter arrives out of the blue and anonymously on Helen’s doorstep – and becomes the center of the story, a funny, feisty romance.
Catherine
I found this book browsing at the library. The cover was cute, and the story sounded intriguing. But, it just wasn't very good. I didn't much like the heroine, Helen. I think she was meant to be quirky, but she just came off as strange. I couldn't understand why so many of the other characters admired her. I can't really put my finger on what I didn't like about the story. I guess it simply wasn't as intriguing as it sounded.
Kate Copeseeley
Apr 04, 2008 Kate Copeseeley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good romance
Shelves: own-it
This book is yummy! I love, love, love the intoxicating prose and the heady descriptions of illicit infatuations. It is worth reading simply for all of the bookstore scenes, but I guarantee you will never look at an orange the way again. And who knew shoelaces could be so romantic? Be prepared -the good stuff doesn't start till midway through the book. :)
Monica
Jan 05, 2008 Monica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Monica by: Abby Frucht
It's a little bit of a guilty pleasure only because it was turned into a terrible, terrible film with Kate Capshaw and Tom Selleck (myself, I would have cast Jim-from-the-Office in the role of Johnny, but he was probably a fetus when the movie was in production).

So forget the movie if you saw it and read this book for a charming contemporary love story.
Cristina
Mi capita sempre più spesso di incocciare in libri in cui il o la protagonista vengono definiti "straordinari" senza che poi l'autore si dedichi a descriverci, a farci vedere, insomma, l'eccezionalità del summenzionato personaggio. Una eccellenza di default.
E' il caso della protagonista di questo libro, la quarantenne e un qualcosa Helen, che pare riuscire a sedurre ogni persona le capiti a tiro con il semplice tocco delle dita, ma che a me, che quel tocco fortunatamente non l'ho ricevuto, pare
Elisabetta
”Cara capra,
come ci si innamora? Si casca? Si inciampa, si perde l’equilibrio e si cade sul marciapiedi, sbucciandosi un ginocchio, sbucciandosi il cuore? Ci si schianta per terra sui sassi? O è come rimanere sospesi oltre l’orlo di un precipizio, per sempre?
So che ti amo quando ti vedo, lo so quando ho voglia di vederti. Non un muscolo si è mosso. Nessuna brezza agita le foglie. L’aria è ferma. Ho cominciato ad amarti senza fare un solo passo. Senza neanche un battito di ciglio. Non so neppure
Yasmin
This book had a captivating start, slow middle, and a suspenseful last chapters. I was forcing myself to get through the book but I couldn't tear myself away from finding out what happens in the end. I loved all the charm each character had, how Helen had thought behind her actions thus allowing me to understand her motives, and the youth of Johnny. Emily was sweet, though not a huge character, and Lilian and Elenor (her mother and Grandmother) was dull and irrelevant till the last chapters. I r ...more
Mónica Horta
Há livros sobre os quais não há muito a dizer. Sendo que esses livros, normalmente, também não têm nada para nos dizer…

Este livro andava a “fazer-me olhinhos” há muitos anos. Na última Feira do Livro de Lisboa decidi-me (finalmente!!!) a comprá-lo. Como é óbvio, depois de tanto tempo à espera de ler a famigerada obra o balde de água fria foi grande.
Estava à espera de uma história interessante sobre Helen, a dona de uma livraria que conseguia influenciar os seus clientes a lerem aquilo que ela pr
Alissa
Beautifully written and often funny, this took me a few days because the lead character is so annoying but in that way that means the author has written a fully dimensional character. The story is slow, but this is much more of a character and town study, and it's just very smart and astute and will stick with me for a long time.
Jenni
Goodness gracious, I have been reading this book for years! I finally had to just power through it to finish it!! It was not as good as the movie! The only other book I have ever said this about was Forrest Gump. The writing style was nice, I just couldn't get into it!
GONZA
Romanzo carino e leggero questa lettera d'amore, nasce tutto da una scoperta e tra fraintendimenti e incomprensioni si dipanano storie d'amore parallele ma differenti.
Una lettura leggera e senza impegno di cui ho apprezzato particolarmente i rimandi all'attualità e la serie di stereotipi che l'autrice tratta con un'ironia veramente molto apprezzabile e tagliente sull'omosessualità sia maschile che femminile.
La scrittrice l'avevo già letta in un altro romanzo (l'educazione di jane, mi sembra) e
Travis Ward
I think this is one of the best novels of our time. It's not terribly long and the plot is fairly simple, but Cathleen Schine's humor and ability to play with our social norms (as well as literature and language) is absolutely delightful. I re-read this once a year and laugh every time! I really enjoy her main character, a bookshop owner (Helen) who is divorced and relishing her freedom with all sorts of men. I don't want to give away the plot, but let's just say she (very humorously) finds hers ...more
Briley
Marion
In the twenty years since this book was published, I think our sensibilities have changed. The main character, a small town bookstore owner, is not a sympathetic character. A plot twist near the end of the book will offend many readers.
Eccentrika
Il libro ruota tutto intorno a lei: la lettera d'amore! E da una serie di aspettative ed equivoci che ne scaturiscono.
Certo, un elemento un po' scarso per alimentare 270 pagine... è forse per questo che alla lunga stufa e diventa ridondante questo ossessivo pensare al mandante di questo foglietto di carta spiegazzato dal contenuto imbarazzante. Già, perché questa famosa lettera non ha niente di particolarmente interessante al suo interno, e anzi, l'ho trovata un po' stupida. Fosse arrivata a me
Melinda Worfolk
Really enjoyed this one. Read it several times in grad school when I wanted light, funny comfort reading. If you don't like comedy based on misunderstandings you won't like this one, but if you do, it's entertaining.
Ceecee
This book had it's ups and downs. Ups: sometimes the writing was beautiful. You would read a paragraph, or sentence, and it's simply written, but well put together. The love letter in this book was one of the most romantic/relatable letters I've read. I could have written it myself, seeing as how it describes me when I fall in love. Also, the little twist in the end was fun.

Downs: the characters are not that lovable. I wasn't that awed with the heroine, though I liked the hero a bit because he
Chiara
Che bel libro! L'ho letto da adolescente e riletto da adulta e mi ha sempre dato grande soddisfazione! Leggetelo è molto divertente, leggero e fino all' ultima pagina non saprai mai come và a finire! Chiara
RABComet
I love the writing. This author knows her way around language.
The plot is interesting... a mysterious, well written, original love letter of unknown origin or intent. A clue that is intriguing.
The main character, who is great, -sassy, independent, confident- falls in love.
What I found hard though was that who she (this awesome character) falls for has no real depth except that he dares to kiss her in spite of the odds. His boldness is sexy, but what else is there? One would think such a well dr
  • Let's Face the Music and Die (Lauren Laurano, #4)
  • A Bad Bride's Tale
  • Anything for Jane: A Novel
  • Dykes and Sundry Other Carbon-Based Life Forms to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #10)
  • Death by Chick Lit
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Smart Girls Like Me
  • Apprentice to the Flower Poet Z.: A Novel
  • L'arte di trattare le donne
  • Getting Warmer
  • A Most Uncommon Degree of Popularity
  • Sallust's Bellum Catilinae
  • Come Pour the Wine
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 15: Tomorrow Now
Cathleen Schine is the author of The New Yorkers, The Love Letter, and The Three Weissmanns of Westport among other novels. She has contributed to The New Yorker, The New York Review of Books, The New York Times Magazine, and The New York Times Book Review.
More about Cathleen Schine...
The Three Weissmanns of Westport Fin & Lady: A Novel The New Yorkers The Evolution of Jane She Is Me

“Dear Goat,

How does one fall in love? Do you trip? Do you stumble, lose your balance and drop to the sidewalk, graze your knee, graze your heart? Do you crash to the stony ground? Is there a precipice, from which you float, over the edge, forever?

I know I'm in love when I see you, I know when I long to see you. Not a muscle has moved. Leaves hang unruffled by any breeze. The air is still. I have fallen in love without taking step. When did this happen? I haven't even blinked.

I'm on fire. Is that too banal for you? It's not, you know. You'll see. It's what happens. It's what matters. I'm on fire.

I no longer eat, I forget to eat. Food looks silly to me, irrelevant. If I even notice it. But I notice nothing. My thoughts are full and raging, a house full of brothers, related by blood, feuding blood feuds:

"I'm in love."
"Typically stupid choice."
"I am, though, I'm racked by love as if love were pain."
"Go ahead. Fuck up your life. It's all wrong and you know it. Wake up. Face it."
"There's only one face, it's all I see, awake or asleep."

I threw the book out the window last night. I tried to forget. You are all wrong for me, I know it, but I no longer care for my thoughts unless they're thoughts of you. When I'm close to you, in your presence, I feel your hair brush my cheek when it does not. I look away from you, sometimes. Then I look back.

When I tie my shoes, when I peel an orange, when I drive my car, when I lie down each night without you, I remain,

As ever,
Ram”
124 likes
“All these years I've had a story in my mind, the story about us that never really existed. And because of that story, I've kept you framed up on the wall in a little box of nostalgic moonlight.” 43 likes