A History of Forgetting

A History of Forgetting

2.96 of 5 stars 2.96  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Malcolm Firth is an aging hairdresser whose partner, Denis, is wasting away from memory loss. Malcolm works at a zany Vancouver hair salon where he trains Alison, a young ingenue from the suburbs, amidst a staff of eccentric urbanoid hair stylists. Their clients include a troop of old people, one of whom is a Holocaust survivor. It is this old woman who provides innocent A...more
Unknown Binding, 359 pages
Published January 1st 1999 by Patrick Crean Editions

To ask other readers questions about A History of Forgetting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Forgetting

Ginny
Although I found it affecting, ultimately I felt that "A History of Forgetting" was predictable and too deliberately melancholy. I've seen so many positive reviews in other places, however, that I think I might have been in a bad mood when I read this one. Take from that what you will!
I wanted to like this more than I did. At the end, I feel a little bit like "what the hell just happened?" and like I got post-modernly slapped around somehow.
Lindsay Goto
It starts out as a breathtaking, beautiful book which is underscored in subtle, but fascinating ways and then begins to drag toward the middle/end of the book. I think that by the end of the novel, some of Adderson's meaning is lost, but it was still a really good read.
Shar Wallis
"A History of Forgetting" is a great title & the reason I picked up this book. It's a melancholy story set partially in Vancouver (bonus!) with good characters. Some of the subjects are Alzheimers, loneliness, hate crime, homosexuality & the Holocaust. It was realistic.
Rachel
I loved the references to Vancouver (I used to live there), but I couldn't really get into the story or identify with the characters.
Diana Stevan
I was so impressed with this author's ability to tackle a difficult subject in such an innovative way.
Jasmine
Nov 08, 2010 Jasmine marked it as want
no one carries this book. no wait powells carries this book... I live in the wrong state.
Barb
Another great author from Vancouver!
Danielle Sprague
Danielle Sprague marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Sandra Grills
Sandra Grills marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
B!llie
B!llie marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Bee
Bee marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Samantha Warwick
Samantha Warwick marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Caroline Adderson grew up in Alberta. After traveling around Canada, she moved to B.C. to go to university and has mostly lived there ever since. She started writing seriously after university, eventually going on to write two internationally published novels (A History of Forgetting and Sitting Practice) and two collections of short stories for adults (Bad Imaginings and Pleased To Meet You). Whe...more
More about Caroline Adderson...
Sitting Practice: A Novel Norman, Speak! Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week The Sky Is Falling Middle of Nowhere