Start by marking “A History of Forgetting” as Want to Read:
A History of Forgetting

A History of Forgetting

3.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Malcolm Firth is an aging hairdresser whose partner, Denis, is wasting away from memory loss. Malcolm works at a zany Vancouver hair salon where he trains Alison, a young ingenue from the suburbs, amidst a staff of eccentric urbanoid hair stylists. Their clients include a troop of old people, one of whom is a Holocaust survivor. It is this old woman who provides innocent A ...more
Unknown Binding, 359 pages
Published January 1st 1999 by Patrick Crean Editions

To ask other readers questions about A History of Forgetting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Forgetting

Petra
Dec 25, 2014 Petra rated it it was ok
Grief, hatred, the grief that hatred causes.....these are the themes that run through this book.
This book started out well. A loving couple, one sadly with Alheimer's; a young woman just starting her adult life. Vancouver is the setting. So promising.
But slowly the hatred and overwhelming grief takes over. Malcolm stops living. Alison also. The author tries to tie the Holocaust to Gay bashing....not a far stretch, sadly, due to skinheads....yet the connection doesn't fit in this story.....or,
Ginny
Jun 27, 2007 Ginny rated it it was ok
Although I found it affecting, ultimately I felt that "A History of Forgetting" was predictable and too deliberately melancholy. I've seen so many positive reviews in other places, however, that I think I might have been in a bad mood when I read this one. Take from that what you will!
Jul 16, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian
I wanted to like this more than I did. At the end, I feel a little bit like "what the hell just happened?" and like I got post-modernly slapped around somehow.
Lindsay Goto
It starts out as a breathtaking, beautiful book which is underscored in subtle, but fascinating ways and then begins to drag toward the middle/end of the book. I think that by the end of the novel, some of Adderson's meaning is lost, but it was still a really good read.
Shar Wallis
Oct 12, 2012 Shar Wallis rated it liked it
"A History of Forgetting" is a great title & the reason I picked up this book. It's a melancholy story set partially in Vancouver (bonus!) with good characters. Some of the subjects are Alzheimers, loneliness, hate crime, homosexuality & the Holocaust. It was realistic.
Rachel
Jun 09, 2012 Rachel rated it did not like it
I loved the references to Vancouver (I used to live there), but I couldn't really get into the story or identify with the characters.
Diana Stevan
Mar 22, 2010 Diana Stevan rated it it was amazing
I was so impressed with this author's ability to tackle a difficult subject in such an innovative way.
Jasmine
Nov 08, 2010 Jasmine marked it as want
no one carries this book. no wait powells carries this book... I live in the wrong state.
Barb
Jan 19, 2009 Barb rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-canadian
Another great author from Vancouver!
Jeannie Buchanan Breit
Jeannie Buchanan Breit rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Sur Gurung
Sur Gurung is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2016
EllenTheobald
EllenTheobald rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Linda
Linda added it
Jan 29, 2016
Miriam Ribera
Miriam Ribera marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Sheila Hamilton
Sheila Hamilton rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Jude
Jude rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Shawn Mooney
Shawn Mooney rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Kristen Lane
Kristen Lane marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Alex Thompson
Alex Thompson marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Cbsd library
Cbsd library marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Caroline Adderson grew up in Alberta. After traveling around Canada, she moved to B.C. to go to university and has mostly lived there ever since. She started writing seriously after university, eventually going on to write two internationally published novels (A History of Forgetting and Sitting Practice) and two collections of short stories for adults (Bad Imaginings and Pleased To Meet You). Whe ...more
More about Caroline Adderson...