Start by marking “Oh Money! Money!” as Want to Read:
Oh Money! Money!

Oh Money! Money!

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  14 reviews
1918. Porter, American novelist and creator of the Pollyanna series of books that generated a popular phenomenon. Oh, Money! Money! is another of her best-selling works, the book begins: There was a thoughtful frown on the face of the man who was the possessor of twenty million dollars. He was a tall, spare man, with a fringe of reddish-brown hair encircling a bald spot. H ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about Oh Money! Money!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh Money! Money!

Oh Money! Money! has a rather dreadful title, but is really a rather pleasant book. Stanley Fulton, an eccentric millionaire, is curious to see if his distant cousins, the middle-class Blaisdells, are worthy inheriting his money. He decides to test them by giving them each $100,000, to see how a sudden windfall would affect their lives, how it would help or harm them.

They are Jim, who wants to spend more time with his children, Hattie, who lives beyond her means, Frank, who only cares for his gr
I thought I'd like another book by the writer of Pollyanna, but I didn't. I chose this one as her highest adult rated book, as I thought her weakest point in Pollyanna was how she portrayed children, which is, a bit two-dimensional.

This book had a good beginning and charming main character BUT the rest of the characters ended up being two-dimensional(!) and the story so predictable that there was nothing exciting in it for me. At one point I was reminded of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.... Whe
L.  (I've Stopped Counting)
Porter is miles away from her Pollyanna world with this book. (And thank God for that. Pollyanna is the leading cause of diabetes.)

Stanley Fulton is a multimillionaire with no one to leave his money to except for some distant cousins back East that he has never met. To see which one would handle the big money the best, Fulton first sets out to test the cousins with a just a taste of wealth in the form of $100,000 for each of them. (The book was published back in 1918 when a hundred thou really
Niya Vlahova
What a wonderfully written book! Do not get me wrong-Oh,Money! Money! will not surprise you. It starts off rather slowly- the first two chapters are actually the resume. However the book portreys the characters beautifully and really does make you think what is worhty and what is not. I aslo liked the fact that so many of the characters were above 45- I hate it when things are centered only around young people as if those older than 35 are not worthy of mentioning or not interesting. The ending ...more
Kenzie K.
One of the cutest, most wonderful books I've read in a while!! Way better than Pollyanna.
Destini Petitt
Lovely book! Great read!
This book by the author of "Pollyanna" is a very sweet story written in 1918. Highly reminiscent of L.M.M. Montgomery's "The Blue Castle," it is about a multi-millionaire giving away large sums of money to three different families, and moving into their town in disguise to observe what they do with it. It's charming.
This book could have been a lot better. The premise sounds amazing but it ended up falling flat. The characters were boring, and so was the plot. It was also sappy. I enjoyed reading it but I won't read it again. And I totally guess the ending.
very interesting old novel. A multi- millionaire give one hundred thousand dollars to each of his three distant cousins, and disguises himself as a genealogist and lives among them, watching how they use the money. Read and see how it turns out! :)
I love to think about money and this book gave me plenty of opportunity to do that. I also like to see how and what other people do with theirs and this gave me an opportunity to do that too. So I liked it.
This was a book club read, and I really liked it! It's a fairly short book, and it makes you wonder what your own reaction in the money inheriting scenario would have been.
What a delightful book. Starts a tad slowly by today's standards, but well worth sticking with. Choose this when you're in the mood for a little fun.
This is such a good book. I loved the story and it ended just the way I wanted it to, too. :-)
I enjoyed the story.
I liked the characters.
It was like Pollyanna with a twist
Josh Nelson
Josh Nelson marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Angie Miller
Angie Miller marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Leona Seib
Leona Seib marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Ayesha Maryam
Ayesha Maryam marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Paige marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Evie Childs
Evie Childs marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Kenny Beck
Kenny Beck marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Rusty added it
Jan 19, 2015
Yu marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
dot wise
dot wise marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014