Start by marking “Oh Money! Money!” as Want to Read:
Oh Money! Money!

Oh Money! Money!

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
1918. Porter, American novelist and creator of the Pollyanna series of books that generated a popular phenomenon. Oh, Money! Money! is another of her best-selling works, the book begins: There was a thoughtful frown on the face of the man who was the possessor of twenty million dollars. He was a tall, spare man, with a fringe of reddish-brown hair encircling a bald spot. H ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about Oh Money! Money!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh Money! Money!

Caroline
Nov 16, 2010 Caroline rated it liked it
Oh Money! Money! has a rather dreadful title, but is really a rather pleasant book. Stanley Fulton, an eccentric millionaire, is curious to see if his distant cousins, the middle-class Blaisdells, are worthy inheriting his money. He decides to test them by giving them each $100,000, to see how a sudden windfall would affect their lives, how it would help or harm them.

They are Jim, who wants to spend more time with his children, Hattie, who lives beyond her means, Frank, who only cares for his gr
Ania
Jul 06, 2012 Ania rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I thought I'd like another book by the writer of Pollyanna, but I didn't. I chose this one as her highest adult rated book, as I thought her weakest point in Pollyanna was how she portrayed children, which is, a bit two-dimensional.

This book had a good beginning and charming main character BUT the rest of the characters ended up being two-dimensional(!) and the story so predictable that there was nothing exciting in it for me. At one point I was reminded of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.... Whe
L. (Climbing Mt. TBR one page at a time)
Porter is miles away from her Pollyanna world with this book. (And thank God for that. Pollyanna is the leading cause of diabetes.)

Stanley Fulton is a multimillionaire with no one to leave his money to except for some distant cousins back East that he has never met. To see which one would handle the big money the best, Fulton first sets out to test the cousins with a just a taste of wealth in the form of $100,000 for each of them. (The book was published back in 1918 when a hundred thou really
Niya Vlahova
Dec 28, 2014 Niya Vlahova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderfully written book! Do not get me wrong-Oh,Money! Money! will not surprise you. It starts off rather slowly- the first two chapters are actually the resume. However the book portreys the characters beautifully and really does make you think what is worhty and what is not. I aslo liked the fact that so many of the characters were above 45- I hate it when things are centered only around young people as if those older than 35 are not worthy of mentioning or not interesting. The ending ...more
Destini Petitt
Aug 02, 2015 Destini Petitt rated it it was amazing
Lovely book! Great read!
Yibbie
Sep 27, 2015 Yibbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, favorites
A tired, disgruntled millionaire wonders what his heirs will do with his money after he is gone. The twist ... he has never met them. Curiosity and a good bit of distrust in humanity give him the idea to fake his death and give them each a large gift. Now he can get to know them and see how they handle sudden wealth. What is the best way to help the poor? What can sudden wealth do to people? It is such a sweet story. My father, my mother and myself all really liked it.
Victoria Minks
Apr 26, 2016 Victoria Minks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
By the Author of "Pollyanna", this book "Oh, Money! Money!" is hilarious, sweet, and interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed it--I was laughing out loud at parts.
Jaime
Sep 16, 2009 Jaime rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
This book by the author of "Pollyanna" is a very sweet story written in 1918. Highly reminiscent of L.M.M. Montgomery's "The Blue Castle," it is about a multi-millionaire giving away large sums of money to three different families, and moving into their town in disguise to observe what they do with it. It's charming.
Josiphine
Dec 05, 2013 Josiphine rated it liked it
This book could have been a lot better. The premise sounds amazing but it ended up falling flat. The characters were boring, and so was the plot. It was also sappy. I enjoyed reading it but I won't read it again. And I totally guess the ending.
Allie
Jan 24, 2013 Allie rated it it was amazing
very interesting old novel. A multi- millionaire give one hundred thousand dollars to each of his three distant cousins, and disguises himself as a genealogist and lives among them, watching how they use the money. Read and see how it turns out! :)
Charlotte
Sep 03, 2013 Charlotte rated it really liked it
I love to think about money and this book gave me plenty of opportunity to do that. I also like to see how and what other people do with theirs and this gave me an opportunity to do that too. So I liked it.
Reina
May 26, 2012 Reina rated it really liked it
This was a book club read, and I really liked it! It's a fairly short book, and it makes you wonder what your own reaction in the money inheriting scenario would have been.
Linore
Aug 18, 2011 Linore rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book. Starts a tad slowly by today's standards, but well worth sticking with. Choose this when you're in the mood for a little fun.
Amy Griffith
Sep 22, 2015 Amy Griffith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about the way money makes people act. Does include a romantic story line but isn't the central theme.
MacKenzie
May 25, 2016 MacKenzie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of the cutest, most wonderful books I've read in a while!! Way better than Pollyanna.
Kathleen
Nov 19, 2010 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
This is such a good book. I loved the story and it ended just the way I wanted it to, too. :-)
Sparrow12
Jun 20, 2016 Sparrow12 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eleanor-porter
I enjoyed the story.
I liked the characters.
It was like Pollyanna with a twist
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Fiona Marie
Fiona Marie is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Connie
Connie rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2016
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Clockery Fairfeld
Clockery Fairfeld marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Suzanne Williams
Suzanne Williams marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Momo
Momo marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Winnice Walker
Winnice Walker marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016