Start by marking “Who Made This Cake?” as Want to Read:
Who Made This Cake?

Who Made This Cake?

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  54 reviews
While a boy and his parents go for an outing, little people invade the house and use their big construction equipment to bake a cake.
Published September 1st 2008 by Front Street (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Who Made This Cake?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Made This Cake?

Kathryn
A fun story with a reality-meets-fantasy twist as all sort of miniature construction vehicles and workers bake and decorate a birthday cake for the child. A great story for kids who dig backhoes and concrete trucks! This is a translation of a Japanese picture book and the pictures retain that Japanese flare that is a rare treat for us in the states.
Tasha
Take the sweetness of baking a cake, mix it with construction vehicles, and populate it with charming tiny beings, and you have this book. A family calls to order a birthday cake, and they spring into action. The little people are about a quarter-inch tall as seen in scale with a stick of butter, so they need construction vehicles to make the cake. Along the way, children will see the stages of baking a cake and will enjoy the fun and color of the tiny people using large machinery to do such eas ...more
Emilia
Holy crap this book is cute! This mom orders a cake and this team of itty bitty miniature CHILDREN rush in with heavy machinery to make it. They decorate it and everything. They use the machinery to crack eggs and mix in flour, sugar, etc. After they get the thing in the oven they take a break which means beverages and ice cream from food trucks! One of them even busts out a guitar!! This book is adorable in a way that transcends the overused "it has trucks in it so it's a good book for boys" cl ...more
If you have a construction-obsessed toddler, you have to get your hands on this book. It is a whimsical twist on the standard "look what this big equipment can do" book. In this book, tiny people rush onto the page with their tiny construction equipment to build a human-sized birthday cake. They use cranes to lift eggs and front loaders to fill dump trucks with flour. The batter is pumped into the pan by something that I think is a concrete pump truck. The little people leap to the task of bakin ...more
Goodworth1
My 2.5 year old truck lover was absolutely enchanted by this book. He wanted me to read it over and over again and was genuinely thrilled with every reading. The illustrations were intriguing and interesting and the whole idea of a cake being made by a teeny construction crew and their heavy equipment seemed especially compelling to him. I like that it was a quick picture book that held his interest.
Green Bean
When a mom orders a cake for her son’s birthday, a barrage of miniature construction workers zoom into action to create a human-sized cake. Tiny workers use toy cranes, bulldozers and cement trucks to methodically take us through the steps of making the perfect birthday cake for a little boy! This book is an ideal birthday gift for a construction-obsessed younger child.
Amy
A massive team of tiny construction workers assemble a cake using bridges, cranes and trucks. Really fun & unique. Brightly colored illustrations of miniature construction workers show them running, working cranes, arguing over plans, falling down, sweeping up, driving, etc. There's a lot of work that goes into baking!
Matthew
A great idea to show what diggers do. I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book and my boy was captivated by the story. I wish it would have used the names of the diggers in the story. The words were very basic and the illustrations were very detailed.
Cassie Stiger
There was not much substance to this story, but the book did not win an award for its content. Rather, for it's illustration. The pictures and concept of the illustration in the story was extremely interesting and unique.
Lady Lioness
This struck me as primarily a 'boy' book as it is very short on plot, but has a preponderance of construction vehicles. In addition, I think there was a bit of a translation error as you can't just spread whipped cream on a cake. You can certainly use whipped cream to make a frosting, but left on its own, it will easily melt off the cake. There was also some redundancy among the illustrations of the little people. It looked like, to me, that some of the people had been merely photoshopped from o ...more
Anastasia Tuckness
I just love this book of little people using construction equipment to make a cake!
pati
Really cool, construction equipment and cake baking all in one!
Alexandra
A fun book about tiny construction workers who make a cake.
Nicole
Love the imagination and perspective of this book.
Melanie
A tiny army of construction workers are contracted to construct a cake. Children will delight in watching the tiny people manipulate machinery to measure ingredients, crack eggs, pour batter and decorate a birthday cake.
Samantha
An order is placed for a cake, but not just any cake: a birthday cake. Crews of little people with construction machinery prepare a delicious cake fit for a king.

Illustrations are so intricate, they reminded me of the Where's Waldo books and how sometimes it's more fun to look at what all the other people are doing in their cliques instead of search for Waldo. Good read aloud for PreK-2.
Dolly
May 20, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
This is an entertaining story about a group of little people who construct a birthday cake using miniature construction equipment. The narrative is very short and the illustrations are humorous, combining the excitement of large tractors and machines with the steps of baking a cake. Even though the book is a bit young for our girls, we enjoyed reading it together.
Cecily Williams
This is our new favorite and such a refreshing and imaginative change from traditional books about construction equipment. My three-year-old, who has been obsessed with diggers since day one, wants to read it every night! I love the illustrations. This was named a USBBY Outstanding International Book, which makes me want to find out what other books have earned that award.
Cassie
This is an incredible book for kids who love diggers! The very detailed drawings of the workers and diggers making a birthday cake will invite readers to keep looking at each page to see things they didn’t notice before. This is one you’ll read together again and again.
Modboy
Aug 07, 2010 Modboy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Japanese Lollipop Kids
This book doesn't get read much in my house. It's not requested because it really doesn't have a plot. However, the pictures are very fun to look at. Every two-page spread depicts a scene showing tons of little people with various construction vehicles making a cake. A good book that could have been great if it had a bit of drama mixed in.
Janessa
What a fun, fresh new take on construction vehicles! Little tykes who love their trucks will enjoy following these yellow excavators, cranes, cement mixers, flatbed trucks and more into the kitchen, where tiny crews and truck operators use their equipment to crack eggs, mix batter, and ultimately bake the perfect birthday cake.
Elizabeth
Who Made This Cake? by Chihiro Nakagawa provides an excellent book for teaching children the steps that go into making a cake in a creative format. This book would be great for teaching students about projects that have multiple steps. The detailed, creative illustrations would be enjoyable for students!
Christy
Horn Book Fanfare 2008

This is a charming and creative book that will engage any child who loves trucks and construction. An enormous cake is made using all types of construction materials and a large, hard-working crew. The book ends with a boy enjoying his birthday cake with his family.
Anne
Clever story and illustrations of the effort involved to make a birthday cake. Loved the incorporation of construction equipment to the baking industry. Not ideal for storytime as the illustrations will be too small for children to see clearly, but a delightful story nonetheless.
Jessica RiffeKincaid
Me and my son read this book together. He was quick to pick up tha catch phrases and he loved the heavy machine equipment interrated into the story. I recommend this book for readers K-3rd grade and Pre-school as well. It was silly, funny and catchy words.
Kifflie
What if you could order a birthday cake and have a huge crew of little people make it for you? Here is a book about baking that will appeal to boys as well as girls. Lots of fun machines mixing the ingredients and lifting the cake in and out of the oven.
Adrianne
With two of Vince's favorite things: construction trucks and cake, this book was a huge hit with him. Of course I had to add a bit of narration especially when the frosting tube sprung a leak and when the cake was about to flatten a couple works.
Erin
Fun little book about a small (human but still doozeresque) construction crew that makes a cake - ends with the family eating the cake. It's a Japanese translation so it does have a different quality. Children who like big machines will be fans.
jacky
A very fun twist on construction truck books. The workers make a cake instead of a building. Very fun to see such little people manipulating items that are small for us with cranes and such. Lots of little details to discover.
Lauren
The little people or Lilliputian-like people get into their construction vehicles to whip up a birthday cake for the humanfolk. Lots of fun. I loved the fantastical element of using the little ones to put together something big.
  • Little Santa
  • Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building
  • Fraidyzoo
  • The Nice Book
  • A Birthday for Cow!
Como cuidar un angel/ How to Take Care of an Angel (a la Orilla del Viento) New Girly Graphics: A New Interpretation of Glamorous, Cute and Romantic Designs [Who Rescued the Lost Baby?]