Start by marking “Phoenix Rising” as Want to Read:
Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising (Playing for Keeps #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  510 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Two dozen roses, one dozen balloons and a night with a sexy, young stripper. What a thirty-sixth birthday for Jimmy Trent. But the ultimate gift is yet to come as he finds himself falling in love with the beautiful dancer. Adam Hyland's life is in the dumps. Living in his car and stripping for his supper, he doesn't expect much when the birthday-boy invites him to stay for ...more
ebook
Published 2008 by MLR Press

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix Rising

Force of Law by Jez MorrowTruth in the Dark by Amy LaneA Note in the Margin by Isabelle RowanFrog by Mary CalmesCinder by Marie Sexton
Best Gay Cinderfellas
19th out of 188 books — 333 voters
Submission by Chris OwenDomination by Chris OwenDiscipline by Chris OwenRough Canvas by Joey W. HillBondage by Chris Owen
Best Gay BDSM
124th out of 586 books — 881 voters

More lists with this book...

SheReadsALot
A Hearts On Fire Review

THREE & A HALF HEARTS--A homeless stripper and a rich guy find love in Kimberly Gardner's "Phoenix Rising", the revised-reissued book #1 of the Playing for Keeps series.

Adam Hyland is a 22 year old, ex-ballet dancer, now homeless stripper who lives in his car. He is hired to a give tech company owner and closeted older rich guy, Jimmy Trent. The two fall into insta-lust and it snowballs into a tale of Adam sort of working for Jimmy at Jimmy's co-owned strip club, Fles
MK (Food actvist)
I suppose this would be called a contemporary m/m romance with a light BDSM theme.

Adam is a stripper that meets Jimmy as a client at Jimmy's birthday party. From that night on it is a constant battle to stay true to each other (Adam is "out" while Jimmy wants a discreet romance). Adam is a struggling stripper while Jimmy is a rich businessman. I liked seeing the relationship between the characters and while I couldn't quite take to Adam pushing Jimmy away, it was apart of the story.

This is the
Alicia
So I had mixed feelings about this book, but in the end I ended up liking it. It started out with a bang, with Adam showing up as a stripper-gram for Jimmy, the birthday boy. They have great chemistry and spend a great night together. But then the next day happens, and Jimmy turns out to be a bit of a tool. I felt myself getting really impatient with his issues, not to mention the way he treated Adam after they start seeing each other. It wasn't until the end of the story that I started to reall ...more
ElaineY
Dec 30, 2008 ElaineY rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
I found Jimmy more real than Adam because the latter came across overdone by an author obviously trying to portray the hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold. Except that Adam isn't a whore. This isn't quite how I felt despite Adam's virtuous qualities, though. These felt unrealistic and contradictory. It was hard to believe a man in his early 20s who's stripping for the next meal, sleeping in his car, who can't afford to go to the hospital when he's injured, who fucks his latest customer when he delivers ...more
Bookwatcher
Love is in the air...

Quick plot summary
Jimmy is a 36 old successful businessmen leading his father company. At his birthday a close coworker pay a striper to do a one man show at Jimmy's house. Adam, 22 years old, is the one payed to dance for Jimmy. A bad knee rack his ballet career, and he try to survive dancing in striper clubs, and the last thing he want is be a keep or boy toy for some rich man, but a serie of facts will made him get close to Jimmy... and the angst will begin

The romance
Betryal
Saritza
I've had this book on my eBookshelf for almost a year and for one reason or another, I never got around to starting it. I'd read an excerpt which I loved and made me add the book to my "to read" list but never got around to actually reading it until this week.

Summary: Two dozen roses, one dozen balloons and a night with a sexy, young stripper. What a thirty-sixth birthday for Jimmy Trent. But the ultimate gift is yet to come as he finds himself falling in love with the beautiful dancer. Adam Hy
Alli
Aug 19, 2010 Alli rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m, bdsm
This was a wonderfully told story, I was hooked from the start. The story was beautifully woven around the lives of Jimmy and Adam, these two were meant for each other and were very hot between the sheets but that only made the story richer, it wasn't the focus of the book.
Leah
Another delicious Kim Gardner book. I swear that woman owns me. Her characters, their passion, struggles, and smexin captivate me. I think I might propose What I loved most about the book was Jimmy's raw vulnerability and Adam's resilient spirit. Fantastic read.
Maya
3.5 The first 3/4 of this book was very good and then it just fell apart for me.
Vicki Easom Johnson
Wow! Jimmy and Adam are just simply made for each other. Even through troubles they emerge wonderfully. I cried so hard during several parts. I cried for both men. This story was a great change up from others I have read. I enjoy Kimberly's work. Can't wait to read more!
Purplegirl
I really adored this book. Adam and Jimmy may make the list of one of my favorite couples. Jimmy almost reminded me of a Mary Calmes character. Everyone didn't fall at his feet but he just had an easy going look on life. He supported Adam and did not admonish him for his profession, which I liked because that would have been more typical arguments. Adam was the one that was a little jaded. But there was insta-love, which I don't mind :)The two were sweet and hot together. I think I will even put ...more
Mika
Only two stars might be a bit hard because I liked the plot, but I just finished the book and I am completely unsatisfied with the ending.

Jimmy tries to make everything right and Adam just shuts down.
And at Stephanies wedding Adam just dismisses Jimmys marriage proposal and also says that they won't live together. If he wants his independence and his own house so badly, he could have asked if Jimmy would like to move in with him. But no, keep the distance. In my opinion they aren't even a real
Jeski
I wanted to like this book... I really did. From the time I read the summary and then excerpt I was madly excited about it. Turns out I was wrong to have gotten so razzle dazzled.

The beginning of this story is terribly cliched. As it goes on there are many unnecessary misunderstandings, unfaithful encounters and general annoyance. I will admit that I am never a fan of unfaithfulness in novels but sometimes you can see a reason but this one just seemed so... again, unnecessary. I think the autho
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewer: SheReadsAlot
Genre: M/M Contemporary
3.5 Hearts

See Review Here: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hearts...

Review: A homeless stripper and a rich guy find love in Kimberly Gardner's "Phoenix Rising", the revised-reissued book #1 of the Playing for Keeps series.

Joyfully Jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Phoenix Rising is the first book in Kimberly Gardner’s Playing for Keeps series and is the second edition of this re-published, re-edited masterpiece.

I fell in love with Jimmy and Adam years ago—yes, years—when I first happened upon this book. I’m not ashamed to say that I’ve read it nearly a dozen times. I have it pretty much memorized, and it’s likely that this won’t be the last time I read it either. Here’s the thing about this book: it’s captivating from the
Jenre
Very much enjoyed this book with a younger/older man dynamic. I liked Adam's independence and Jim's naivety about the world. I occasionally wanted to bash their heads together when they allowed others to dictate the course of their relationship but they were a great couple and so I forgave that. Their attraction is palpable and led to some very steamy and evocative sex scene but the sex didn't overwhelm the book which was pleasing. Overall, a book I would recommend.
Moria Polonius

It was a good read for the most part, with some Cinderella romance, angst, the problem of coming out of the closet etc. Then both of the characters turn stupid, the book skips 6 months and I have no idea what the hell's going on, and the characters remain stupid. I may be making it sound worse than it is, but the number of times i went "Seriously? No, really, seriously?" in the last quarter was triple than in the first 3/4.
Valentina Heart
The book was very much to my liking, and some details really won me over. The reason it got four stars is that it lacked emotions and that connection between the two heroes at the parts where i think it was needed most. But overall it really is one of the better ones out there.
Martin
I totally adored this story. I was a bit sceptical because of the many 3 star reviews, but to me, Adam and Jim were a very realistic couple with a delicious 'Pretty Woman' style love story.

True, the main conflict (Adam's conflict) did not seem like such a big deal to me, but I accept that he felt it that way.

And I just gotta admit, towards the end, I couldn't stop playing this song, it so reminded me of the book and fit the theme perfectly:
Rise Like a Phoenix by Conchita Wurst

5 stars, defini
Nene
I enjoyed the first 3/4 pretty well...then it lost me. I can't say too much without spoilers, but I just felt like a huge disconnect occured between those parts of the story.
Chris
Very good m/m romance about a deeply closeted guy who falls for a stripper who doesn't want to be anybody's dirty little secret ever again.
Angela Goodrich
What an absolutely lovely story. Knowing that Phoenix Rising was about the relationship between closeted gay man and an out gay man, I admittedly expected a ton of angsty drama. And while there is drama, particularly from Jim's family, it was more focused on the actual relationship between Jim and Adam. By doing so, Ms. Gardner gave the book a more realistic feel than I anticipated.

That said, I found the opening scene of this book to be extremely entertaining. I mean really? ... a strip-o-gram
Morgan  Skye
Jimmy is a rich guy who gets a stripper, Adam, for his birthday as a gift. The two hit it off right away and despite the fact that Jimmy’s brother is Adam’s boss, they continue on a “discreet” love affair.

The turmoil comes when Jimmy must put up or shut up about coming out to his family and friends. He takes tentative steps in that direction, to keep Adam happy, and to be true to himself, but it’s too little too late.

Suddenly Jimmy is the victim of hate crimes and losing clients for his “life st
Drew
I know two stars its a little too harsch, and I probably soon change it at three, but I finished it right now and I am a little upset. I read Bound To Please first, so I know how good Kimberly Gardner can be.

Adam, young stripter, with complex about being poor and abandoned by his own family, meet handsome, rich and too much kind and loving man, and fall in love with him. From start he knows it isnt easy for Jim, and that its the first time when Jim think about coming out, but selfishly never tr
Elisa Rolle
Young friendly gay guy, talented but poor, meets older closeted gay man, wealthy and gentle. Is another Cinderfella's story? Not quite, since our two heroes will not leave happily ever after when the clock strikes the midnight, they need to suffer a bit before.

Adam is a classical dancer that at 22 years old, after a knee injury, had to give up his dreams and lives "between" homes in his car. He sometime works as stripper and one night he is engaged for a birthday party. But when he arrives at t
Ayanna
Eh...not bad?

(view spoiler)
Charly
I liked it, but the angst made it hard to read

Rating: 6/10

Pros:
- One especially tough (physically and emotionally) character I admired a lot.
- Well-drawn, sympathetic secondary characters. Women in gay romances tend to be portrayed as one-dimensional bitches, but the women in this book felt real.
- The last sex scene is beautiful. Heart-warming, tender, emotional. A lovely breath for me, as in the chapters leading up to the scene I felt like crying because I longed so (along with one of the cha
Anna
Mar 23, 2015 Anna rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
I can't finish this.

It's the tale of a homeless stripper making really poor choices and an idiotic jerkoff "business man" who gives zero craps about anyone but himself.

Maybe there is hope for later. But I can only say, "Oh honey," to Adam so many times before it's too much. I think I could have gotten past that, if Jimmy had been worthwhile, but I'm struggling to find anything. /:
Penny
It appears that I will be in the minority, but this book was just okay.

I didn't get emotionally drawn in. I found the story to be repetitive and a little tired.

I found myself wondering more aboutthe older brother who had step up after their father's death and in turnbecome this angry pessimist. I wish the author would have explored their relationship further.

This just wasn't the book for me.

Lovely cover art.
  • Thirty Days (From Thirty Days to Forever, #1)
  • Bondage (Deviations, #4)
  • Call Me Sir, Boy!
  • Some Kind of Stranger (Blue Ruin, #1)
  • Survival
  • Switch
  • Easy
  • Uneven
  • Bad Case of Loving You
  • Bound and Determined
  • Master Of Obsidian (Master Chronicles, #1)
  • Impacted (Impacted, #1)
  • That's What Brothers Do
  • A Strong Hand
  • Scarred
  • Bound: Forget Me Knot
  • precious_boy
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
(1)author of homoerotic romances

Once upon a time, in a land not so far away, back before computers, before email, before the internet–Imagine that!–a book junkie was born. That was me.

Fast forward three decades to a soft spring day in 1997, and find me contentedly reading my
More about Kimberly Gardner...

Playing for Keeps (2 books)
  • Bound To Please
Bound To Please Too Soon For Love Dressed to Thrill Almost Heaven (Exception to the Rule #1) The Shape of a Heart