Start by marking “The Memoirs Of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Memoirs Of Sherlock Holmes

The Memoirs Of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  4,773 Ratings  ·  274 Reviews
Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Memoirs Of Sherlock Holmes" in the revolutionary Bed Book Landscape Reading Format - a new approach to reading in bed as well as other places people enjoy reading while lying down, such as the beach, or on a grassy lawn in the park. Bed Books provide the freedom to lie in any comfortable position without being obligated to sit up in order to read. ...more
Published September 6th 2005 by Bed Book Classics (first published 1894)

To ask other readers questions about The Memoirs Of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memoirs Of Sherlock Holmes

Oct 06, 2009 Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the hallmarks of the Sherlock Holmes stories is that they are not actually told from Holmes' point of view. They are told by Dr. Watson in the form of newspaper stories which chronicle his friend's investigations. This is not odd in itself, except that Holmes often leaves Watson behind and hours later returns to recount the adventure's ending to him. This structure is never more fascinating than in the famous "The Final Problem," in which Holmes and Moriaty tumble over Reichenbach Falls. ...more
Anu Harchu
(Бүлэг болгоны оноонуудын дундаж)
Шерлок Холмсын тухай хэд хэдэн богино өгүүллэгүүд бичигдсэн бөгөөд тэднийг хэд хэдээр нь багцлан ном болгон гаргасан нь Шерлок Холмсын Адал Явдлууд ба Шерлок Холмсын Дурдатгал номууд юм. Мөн энэ зохиолд гол дүр Шерлокын ах Майкрофтыг танилцуулах бөгөөд тэрээр учир шалтгааныг олох тал дээр Шерлокоос ч илүү. Шерлок өөрөө үүнийг тэмдэглэсэн бөгөөд гагцхүү өөрийнхөө санааг шалгахаас залхуу хүрдэг нь л түүнийг сайн мөрдөгч болоход саад хийж байгаа гэж хэлж болн
Aug 13, 2010 DC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book, we learn a little more about Sherlock Holmes: some particulars on his first case, a few glimpses on his college days, and his filial relations. (Let's not forget that this volume presents us with the introduction of an opponent worthy of his intellectual prowess: Professor Mortiary.) The stories seem rather subdued to me, but are no less singular and interesting as Doyle's other writings of the famed detective.
Jun 10, 2011 Chad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I recently finished reading the Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes on my Kindle. I have really enjoyed reading the tales of Sherlock Holmes and my dear Watson.

The Memoirs cover nearly a dozen short tales of Sherlock Holmes, in these tales we learn more about Sherlock as a person, his history, his nearly friendless time at University, his family heritage and brother. We also see that Holmes is not by any means perfect at his craft and he gets a case completely wrong.

Besides just being good fun, I have fo
Aug 22, 2014 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" made me finally -- *finally*, after literally years of trying -- fall in love with the literary character of Sherlock Holmes. Which makes "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes" pretty much the perfectly ideal follow-up read.

I've heard it debated that "Adventures" is the best book of short detective fiction to ever be written. And I have to admit that, in terms of sheer ingenuity, the plots of the "Adventures" stories may in fact be the best. But if I found the plott
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle is a collection of 11 mysteries/ adventures of Sherlock Holmes. It contains the final case of Sherlock, the one Doyle penned when he wanted to finish the Holmes' adventures. I enjoyed this collection very much. They featured Holmes' unique skill at solving his mysteries. They introduced his brother Mycroft, who Sherlock claims is smarter than he is, except that he doesn't like to make the effort to follow through on his deductions. We are also ...more
It’s a dark and stormy night in the coal-stained streets of grand old London town. The criminals are out and barely anyone else is around. But who is that at the corner, with the hat and pipe? Why isn’t it Sherlock Holmes! I think it might. He’s here to save the day with his keen eyes and sharp mind. With him here, he’ll keep the criminals at bay until there’s none left behind.

Yes folks, the closest thing to a superhero that Victorian times had, has once again captured my imagination and heart.
The Death of Holmes!

Whilst not the title of the story or the book containing it that is exactly what is included in this collection. But of course we all know better than that these days. We all know that Doyle was forced to write more Holmes stories against his wishes. Poor guy.

I think the dislike Doyle had for writing the Holmes stories is incredibly apparent with this collection. Some of the stories are dull and formulaic - ten pages of somebody telling Holmes about the case and ten pages of
Another series of the adventures of Sherlock Holmes as reported by his faithful biographer Dr. Watson and it becomes clearer than ever that the real draw of these stories is the fascinating character of Holmes himself. The mysteries are secondary to the enjoyment, though many of them do prove to have distinct elements of interest (otherwise why would the great detective have bothered himself about them?), but it really is in observing the fascinating character of Holmes himself that the reader i ...more
Alessia Simoni
"Human nature is a strange mixture, Watson. You see that even a villain and murderer can ispire such affection that his brother turns to suicide when he learns that his neck is forfeited. However, we have no choice as to our action."
Raccolta di avventure del celebre investigatore, narrate come sempre dal fedele amico e compagno Watson, questo testo è uno splendido esempio di come l'idea di rendere "seriale" le storie relative a Sherlock Holmes ne abbia determinato il successo. Storia dopo stori
Karina Vargas
May 25, 2015 Karina Vargas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Adoro todos los libros de Sherlock Holmes.
Jan 06, 2013 ayrdaomei rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
I read this collection of short stories out of curiosity about the Sherlock Holmes of canon. I've seen the RDJ Sherlock Holmes (didn't much like the first film, didn't see the second), the BC Sherlock Holmes (have seen all the BBC eps, but didn't much like them either), and the JLM Sherlock Holmes (am currently watching Elementary, and am a fan...I think).

These stories are my first introduction to the Sherlock Holmes (and Watson) of canon. And you can color me surprised at how poor Sherlock seem
Mar 18, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can never go wrong reading Sherlock Holmes.
Star Shining Forever
Another delightful collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. My favorites were Silver Blaze, The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter, The Adventure of the Naval Treaty and The Final Problem.

The Final Problem is famous because Arthur Conan Doyle wrote it to kill the character of Sherlock Holmes. Doyle was reportedly tired of the detective and wanted to be free to write other things. (However, fans of Sherlock were so upset that Doyle eventually relented and brought him back to life.)

I listened to t
2015: Always a pleasure. I slowly worked my way through this time around, periodically reading a story or two between other books.

2013: It's been too long since I've checked in with my first literary crush. I was struck this time by how abrupt "The Final Problem" seems and how totally shocked readers at the time must have been.
Ana Luisa
I'm currently rereading this book and will be adding reviews for each short story as I read them

Silver Blaze: 4 stars
This story centres around the disappearance of the favourite horse to win the Wessex Cup, Silver Blaze, and the death of his trainer, John Straker. After days and the police's inability to find the horse and the culprit, Holmes is called to investigate.
The plot and the mystery were very well-designed to show Holmes's full capacities as a detective, and proved his saying: "The worl
Jan 24, 2014 UnoStudio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"E’ con cuore pesante che prendo la penna per scrivere queste parole, le ultime con le quali avrò mai più occasione di ricordare al mondo le straordinarie capacità che il mio amico Sherlock Holmes possedeva."

Comincia così, con questa sconcertante rivelazione del dottor Watson, L’ultima avventura (titolo originale: The Final Problem), racconto pubblicato sullo Strand Magazine nel dicembre del 1893 e successivamente inserito nelle ormai celeberrime Memorie di Sherlock Holmes (1894).

Si tratta, sott
Sherlock Holmes stops to smell the roses? He also enjoys picnics, makes mistakes, has a brother, and shockingly, had other friends before Dr. Watson. In a change of pace, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's second short story collection, presented as memoirs written by Holmes's biographer and friend, Dr. Watson, reveals the more human side of the notably acerbic consulting detective. Narrated by Watson, he reaches back into the archives to relate Holmes's earlier cases and shares how Holmes came to utilize ...more
Second time reading this. Actually, I listened to it on my iPod through something my library offers. Got to listen to it at work while I was going through locations and too many other boring things that no one would understand in any capacity. I would be surprised if someone did.

The cases were very easy to follow. So very easy. I mean, I could even make the leaps that Holmes made. I know that it's not possible to do. Doyle purposefully left out information that the reader may have to actually ma
Amrit Sinha
Sep 06, 2014 Amrit Sinha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s remarkable how fiction can seem more real than reality, how a character conceived in a few words can live on beyond the pages, assuming a larger than life form, walking, sitting, and talking with you, his singular skills in finding solutions to problems that seem tricky initially, but once he deduces them and provides his reasonings, you feel oh – that – was – so – simple. Sherlock Holmes isn't just a character created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Rather, he is the hero, the brilliance, and t ...more
Hannah Galloon
May 01, 2016 Hannah Galloon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I was NOT expecting that ending!!
Oct 04, 2015 Kailey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spanish, owned-books
Of course I love, love and adore, any story with Sherlock Holmes, but this translation is not the best. First of all, it uses some archaic words, weird sentence structure, and it also has typos and misspellings. It was a little difficult to read at times, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
It's so sad rereading "The Final Problem" ("El Problema Final"), and it's just as pathetic and distressing a story in any language.
I adore this book, and will be rereading it many times in the future, in English an
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
*Special Content only on my blog, Strange and Random Happenstance, during Sherlocked. (October - December 2015)

Money. It's what almost all crime is in aid of; the procurement of more. The vast wealth that can be attained by some underhanded dealing, holding a Greek heiress hostage, crippling a horse, stealing state secrets. This is where Sherlock Holmes comes in. If a case looks too hard, if the criminal looks too cunning, there is always Sherlock Holmes. Few can best him, and only one would use
Hoàng Nguyễn
Mấy truyện trong đây cái nào cũng dễ thương hết vậy ;__; Kiểu như Watson hay nhây nhây đòi đẩy Holmes ra ngoài hóng gió lại cứ bị ổng rầy cho, đến phiên Holmes xuất hiện trước cửa nhà Watson giữa đêm hôm khuya khoắt kể chuyện vụ án cho Watson nghe; rồi lúc Watson biết Holmes có người anh trai tên Mycroft liền được Holmes dẫn đến Hội Diogenes, mặc dầu chỗ này người ta rất nghiêm ngặt chuyện khách khứa, gần như là hội kín luôn rồi nữa chứ. Mà đỉnh điểm phải là The Final Problem rõ ràng Holmes ké ...more
Luke Holmes
Nov 29, 2015 Luke Holmes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No puedo ser objetivo, lo siento. Ya sabéis que Sherlock Holmes es, para mí, mucho más que un simple detective creado por un escritor en el siglo XIX. Es una parte de mí. Por lo que esta novela me ha fascinado, me ha entretenido y me ha hecho pensar. Mi querido Moriarty aparece por primera vez para conseguir que nuestro amigo se sienta realmente atacado
Sean O
Sep 16, 2016 Sean O rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel this is the best book so far in the Sherlock Holmes oeuvre. There's a little something for everybody: Holmes as a college student, Mycroft, Moriarty, and very little reliance on the "tricks" of the first collection (eg: disguises.)

Holmes seems thoroughly Holmes. There's no obvious inconsistencies (Mrs. Watson's mother remains dead.) And the stories move along with only a little Victorian fussiness.

If you must only read one Sherlock Holmes book, read this one.
Yannis Charalabidis
Αγορασμένο το καλοκαίρι από υπαίθριο καρότσι σε κάποιο νησί, μάλλον λιγο μεταχειρισμένο. Μου κράτησε συντροφιά για μερικά βράδια.

Καμιά 15-αριά ιστορίες, όλες κλασσικές Σέρλοκ, όλες υπέροχες.

Α, και κάτι που δεν περίμενα: ο Μοριάρτυ, του υπέροχου τηλεοπτικού σίριαλ με τον Κάμπερμπατς (sic), ο άρχων του κακού, ήταν πραγματικός, ανάλογος ήρωας του Α.Κ. Ντόυλ.

Τα καλύτερα 3 ευρώ που έδωσα τελευταία..
Oct 09, 2016 Lupe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pesar de que me gusta mucho Sherlock Holmes este libro en particular me costó leerlo. No porque no entendiera sino porque era un rejunte de distintos casos sin conexión aparente ni orden cronológico. Esto me hizo perder en varias ocasiones mi motivación a continuarlo. Recién el último es el que te hace comprender por qué Watson esta escribiendo estas memorias. Por suerte es también el que me hace querer seguir leyendo.
Lo recomiendo como una lectura pasajera, al estilo de leerlo durante los via
Jonathan Napoles
Sherlock’s Heart Pounding Collections of Cases

In this dazzling Sherlock Holmes novel Arthur Conan Doyle takes first time readers (like me) trough an unforgettable which will make you want to dive into another iconic Sherlock Holmes novel.
"The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes" contains 11 adventures involving Sherlock Holmes and his trusty side kick Watson. Notable stories from this novel are "Silver Blaze" and "The Final Problem. These stories come together and create a must read novel.
This book do
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • I cinque misteri di Sherlock Holmes