Start by marking “El Nacimiento del Mundo Moderno” as Want to Read:
El Nacimiento del Mundo Moderno

El Nacimiento del Mundo Moderno

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  536 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Esta extraordinaria crónica abarca las quince anos de gestación del mundo moderno (1815-1830) y relata la historia de la gente, las ideas, la política, la moral, la economía, el arte, la ciencia y la tecnología, la diplomacia, la literatura y la revolución.Es el excelente retrato de un periodo de inmensos cambios que vio a los Estados Unidos emerger como una nación formida ...more
Published February 2000 by Javier Vergara (first published January 1st 1988)

Caroline
Sep 01, 2014 Caroline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I find it hard to review three star books; there’s less to rave about or rant about.

Paul Johnson certainly has studied widely and describes changes across politics, transportation, science, art, and literature. But his conservative slant is so overwhelming that I had my feet dug in the whole way. And a thousand pages is a long way. The book is very anglocentric in its content and terminology, although it discusses the emerging American democracy fairly thoroughly. He is rabidly (hysterically) an
JZ Temple
Sep 04, 2007 JZ Temple rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A brilliant book by Paul Johnson, best known for "Modern Times". In this book Johnson looks at the world in the time period 1815-1830, from the end of the Napoleonic Wars to the start of the railroad age. He covers a wide number of subjects, political, social, financial, artistic and others. It's an easy book to read, since every chapter stands on it's own. It's full of "gee, I didn't know that!" moments, which is what makes history fun for me. Well worth reading.
Frazer Gowans
Apr 09, 2009 Frazer Gowans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
An outstanding piece of work - covers most of world history from 1815 - 1830 - a real tour de force. Goes into a wide range of detail from politics, industrial development & science, arts, music etc. Cannot recommend it highly enough. It's around 1,000 pages - I read it in two massive lumps about half each with around ten years gap between them - just finished it last year and got through the remaining half in about two days.
Todd Stockslager
Review title: The end of the world as they knew it
Johnson takes a small slice of time and spends 1,000 pages documenting the political, scientific, technical, financial, cultural, and artistic people, places, and events. There are two keys to making this narrative history approach work:

1. Pick the right slice of time. Johnson makes a case for 1815 - 1830 being the transition period from the revolutionary 18th Century to the modern world that laid the foundation of our 21st century world. He sta
John Scherber
Feb 02, 2015 John Scherber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rich and exhaustively researched book that charts the major changes in a critical period, 1815-1830, that forms the base for much of our present culture. Paul Johnson has a truly comprehensive mind and the book is well worth the effort it takes to read it, even at exactly 1000 pages.
Having said that, I was disappointed by the number of typos and other text errors-something like three dozen. This is the level of production errors that I would expect from a self-published book that had not had t
Robert
Mar 15, 2009 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I keep going back and rereading parts of this book because it is so informative and so well written. It is a remarkably comprehensive view of world history in the fifteen years from 1815-1830. Think of the authors, scientists, statesmen, generals, artists, reformers, and composers you know from the era and imagine a narrative that weaves them together with a sharp understanding of how they each changed the world. Johnson ties it all together without being boring for longer than a page. And for a ...more
John Harder
Nov 20, 2014 John Harder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wonder if my great, great, great, great, great grandpa realized that he was living through the birth of the modern era during the early 19th century. Perhaps doing backbreaking labor six days a week and dying of syphilis in some back alley in Hamburg at the age of 36 didn’t make him appreciate his good fortune.

Grandpa’s life not withstanding the early 19th century was dynamic if look at in a historical context. With Napoleon safely fuming in St. Helena, the British were safe to dip a waterwhee
Nick Black
This is very likely the finest work of history I've ever read, eclipsing even The Making of the Atomic Bomb and Enlightenment Contested. An absolute masterpiece.
Elh52
Jul 17, 2009 Elh52 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book made me really understand how everything in history is connected in just one big continuing story. It was like the scales fell from my eyes. I'm kind of embarrassed it took me so long, but this book changed the way I think of history - in a good way, I mean. I wonder if I would like it as much now as when I read it so long ago?
Sherwood Smith
Jun 06, 2009 Sherwood Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-19th-c
I thoroughly enjoyed this walking tour through European, mostly English, culture during the Regency period and just after.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Paul Johnson is a British journalist, a believing Catholic--and a conservative. That will put some people off--although it's notable I saw more than one review from readers who said in spite of that they found this book incisive and readable. For me it wasn't something off-putting but something I sought out. Having grown up on Manhattan's Upper West Side from kindergarten to college I was exposed almost exclusively to a left-wing narrative of history. I wanted to hear from the other side, and ye ...more
David
Sep 03, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously, if I gave five stars to anything but fiction, this would get it. Spanning the period between the end of the Napoleonic Wars and the revolutions of 1830, this lengthy little tome (1,000 pages---I bought it at $6 primarily for the value-per-page figure, although I was delighted at my dumb luck for having done so) covers mostly Europe, although it does digress into the Americas and China to explore the interactions of the Old World in the New. It's absolutely encyclopedic in scope and de ...more
Tom Leland
If I'd already had greater historical knowledge I would've enjoyed this much more -- many references were lost on me -- or were too British-centric. Many times I wondered how certain subject matter was relevant to the book's theme -- including a particular fascination with Byron's sex life. I learned a lot, but it was a struggle. Longest book I've ever read -- exactly 1000 pages.
Charles
Apr 14, 2014 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the Congress of Vienna. An interesting co-read with Paris 1919 on the Versailles Treaty, with Gautier's Tableaux de Siege on the aftermath of the Franco-Prussian war, and with Tony Judt's Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945.
Al
Apr 29, 2008 Al rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been an admirer of Paul Johnson since reading A History of the American People, and always buy his books as I come across them in book sales. That led me to Modern Times, probably the most interesting history book I have ever read, and then to this, The Birth of the Modern, World Society 1815-1830.
Mr. Johnson is still as readable as ever, and the scholarship in this book is extraordinary. But, I was a little concerned as to what one could find to fill 1,000 pages relating to this relati
Graham
A fascinating insight into an amazing 15-year period that gave birth to the modern world. What is really good about this tome is how easy it is to read and the way it blends the many facets of a society to bring the history alive. It is mind boggling how much research he must have done to bring this book together.
Robin Case
May 24, 2016 Robin Case rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used the audio version of this book. The lady who does this version, Wanda McCaddon, I believe has an excellent voice, an English accent. Just a wonderful performance. The book is very well done and I will come back to it again.
Steven Pennebaker
Apr 19, 2016 Steven Pennebaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this shortly after it came out and it took 25 years but I finally finished it. In spite of the elapsed time, it is a good book, well written and comfortable with plenty of interesting nuggets.
Don Weidinger
Apr 18, 2015 Don Weidinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1815-1830, refused to go along with compromise with Barbary pirate extortion as Europeans, confidence from below vs authority from above, after Waterloo 100 years of European peace.
Glen
Jun 14, 2008 Glen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, one of my favorite books. And I'm not a conservative! (Just for the record, I hated Modern Times and the author likes to get spanked by prostitutes...) Beyond that, Johnson paints a picture of history which I've yet to see done. If your are a fan of James Burke, I highly recommend this book! It connects so many it important pieces of innovation to what has become our modern world that it truly turned my head. He clearly states at the beginning, his thesis and proceeds to brilliantly make h ...more
Alec
I put this down about two-thirds of the way through. This book yielded a few really excellent ideas - like identifying the global scope of the expropriation of indigenous folks' land at the hands of grain-growing settler nations using state power - and helped fill in the gaping hole that was my knowledge of the Napoleonic Wars. But the author turned demagogue at times, and certain passages felt really forced and thin, mostly where events were given a late-twentieth-century conservative interpret ...more
Rdb
Partial- read 651 pages of 1150
Random date- not sure when I stopped reading it
D E
Apr 23, 2016 D E rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a history written by a journalist rather than an academic historian, and sadly is not a reliable source of information. It is well written, and there are many interesting vignettes, but there are also numerous errors that are readily evident, even to non-specialists. This leads one to suspect the quality of judgement exercised in the analysis of events. The New York Times review printed at the time of the book's first publishing is revealing and just.
Grant
Feb 23, 2016 Grant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Johnson argues that virtually everything we associate with the modern world - art, science, politics, society, economy, etc. - either had its start or took a tremendous leap forward during the years after Waterloo. Johnson concentrates on Britain as the center of developments, but does not neglect the other areas of Europe and the world when appropriate.
Erik Graff
May 22, 2013 Erik Graff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cultural historians
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
Despite his conservatism and strained attempts to attack the contemporary Left by association to discreditable persons and movements in the early nineteenth century, Johnson is an excellent writer and this is an entertaining, sometimes enlightening, cultural history of the period. I particularly liked his excursus on how much people walked back in the day.
Marc
Oct 11, 2015 Marc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Enorme eruditie, een omgevallen encyclopedie.Niet altijd goed gestructureerd; dikwijls uitweidingen en afwijkingen. Sterk Brits gericht: bijna alle voorbeelden komen uit eigen kring. Cfr bijna niks of Goethe of Heine. Tijdskader 1815-1830 soms te knellend en wordt daarom regelmatig doorbroken.
Virginia
Jan 13, 2008 Virginia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very proud of myself when I slogged through the last few pages of this book.

It wasn't bad. Just really really really long.

Had some interesting stuff in there.

Good for major history buffs or people doing research for historical romance novels.
Jeff
Nov 12, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you really need 1,000 pages to chronicle 15 years? With these particular years, absolutely. Especially if you're not Eurocentric, which too many such histories are. Johnson even goes so far as to cite the opening of the first ad agency in Venezuela.
Kevin J. Rogers
Feb 04, 2008 Kevin J. Rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in history.
I thought this was a lucid and comprehensive account of the birth of the Modern Age; Johnson makes a compelling case that the fifteen years immediately after the defeat of Napoleon laid the foundation for the world as we have known it up to now.
Jimmy
Jun 20, 2010 Jimmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Filled with interesting details about the period in history from 1815 to 1830. It makes it easy to see how what humans do can echo down through history and have unintended and unknown consequences.
  • From the Fires of Revolution to the Great War (A History of Private Life, #4)
  • John Stuart Mill: Victorian Firebrand
  • The Reformation (The Story of Civilization, #6)
  • Dostoevsky: The Mantle of the Prophet, 1871-1881
  • Holy Madness: Romantics, Patriots, and Revolutionaries, 1776-1871
  • Gold and Iron: Bismarck, Bleichröder and the Building of the German Empire
  • The Proud Tower: A Portrait of the World Before the War, 1890-1914
  • The Great Game: The Struggle for Empire in Central Asia
  • Revelations of the Medieval World (A History of Private Life, #2)
  • The New Penguin History of The World
Paul Johnson works as a historian, journalist and author. He was educated at Stonyhurst School in Clitheroe, Lancashire and Magdalen College, Oxford, and first came to prominence in the 1950s as a journalist writing for, and later editing, the New Statesman magazine. He has also written for leading newspapers and magazines in Britain, the US and Europe.

Paul Johnson has published over 40 books incl
More about Paul Johnson...

“This was the point at which north and south began to bifurcate decisively and indeed at which the term the South came into general parlance. The southern apologists were still, in their hearts, ashamed of slavery. That is why they used a euphemism. To them, it was not slavery—a word they never spoke, if possible—but “the peculiar institution.” The use of euphemisms was to become an outstanding characteristic of the modern world which was being born, and nowhere was it employed more assiduously than in the South’s defense of unfree labor.” 0 likes
“that worst of all systems: a society run by its intelligentsia, a cathedocracy ruled from the scholar’s chair.” 0 likes