Space Magic

Space Magic

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This Endeavour Award-winning collection pulls together 15 critically acclaimed science fiction and fantasy stories that take readers from a technicolor cartoon realm to an ancient China that never was, and from an America gone wrong to the very ends of the universe. Including the Hugo Award-winning "Tk'Tk'Tk," the Writers of the Future Award winner "Rewind," "Nucleon," "Th...more
Published May 25th 2008 by Wheatland Press (first published 2008)

Scott D.
David D. Levine and I are connected, but he doesn't know it. At the only Worldcon I've ever attended (LA Con IV, 2006), Harlan Ellison presented a Hugo Award to Levine for his short story "Tk'tk'tk". The image of Levine leaping for joy into the arms of Harlan Ellison is a bright memory of that wonderful week. That's why I was thrilled to see this collection available as an e-book. I thought I'd enjoy it, and I wasn't disappointed.

There are 15 stories included here, and they demonstrate story-tel...more
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at FanLit: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

Before picking up this story collection, I was only familiar with David D. Levine from a couple of his stories that I’ve read in anthologies. Space Magic sparked my interest because it contains a Hugo Award winning story (“Tk’Tk’Tk’”) and because it has recently been released in audio format, read by the author himself.

Alan
Dec 06, 2008 Alan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alan by: Multnomah County Library
This collection by Portland author David Levine is all over the map - and that's a good thing, in this case. It shows his range. Levine's stories invite comparison with authors as varied as Jack Finney, Jack Dann and Jack Vance, as well as with others who aren't even named Jack.

And I'm not by any means alone in admiring his work; "Tk'Tk'Tk" won a Hugo award for Best Short Story in 2006.

Picking particular stories to recommend is difficult, because there are so many good ones, but the tales that s...more
Tom
Audiobook read by the author.

Space Magic is a collection of short stories by David D. Levine that are either Science Fiction, Fantasy, or some combination of those together. I have to admit that I really enjoyed this short story collection. Short stories in general sometimes feel underdeveloped or trivial, but the stories in this collection do a great job of introducing a whole new world, what's going on, and coming to a satisfying conclusion. If you like SciFi/Fantasy of any kind, this is a gre...more
Isabel
I received a free copy of this book in return for a review, via the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.

This is a story about a bird. A bird, a ship, a machine, a woman - she was all these things, and none, but first and fundamentally a bird.
It is also a story about a man - a gambler, a liar, and a cheat, but only for the best of reasons.
No doubt you know the famous Portrait of Denali Eu, also called The Third Decision, whose eyes have been described as "two pools of sadness iced over with dete
Edjane Stewart
I really enjoyed reading all short stories in Space Magic. David Levine stories are varied little worlds of wonder waiting to entertain us. I found myself smiling at the end of some stories, like I do when I read the few short stories written by my favorite authors. I look forward to find more stories written by him. He certainly knows how to write a great short story.

Below are individual ratings of the short stories in the book.
Wind from a Dying Star (4 stars)
Nucleon (5 stars)
I Hold My Father's...more
Fantasy Literature

It rarely happens that I enjoy every story in a collection, but that’s what happened here. All of these tales are entertaining, I was pleased with the diversity of themes and styl...more
Ryan Mishap
A Portland author, a book that beat out even Stephenson to win an award, and an intto duction by a Eugene author I like--what could go wrong?

Well, not anything, really. These are the types of SF and fantasy stories I like to read: stories that are more concerned with people and emotions than gadgets and interstellar wars. I like the way they are set and the fact that Levine isn't afraid to do political stories.

So, all the ingredients are there, right? I mean the guy writes short stories much li...more
Jens
I am not usually a reader of short stories. I got this book as part of the early reviewer program at Goodreads. I liked the first story "Wind from a Dying Star". Actually the first thing I liked in the book was the introduction. Anyway the first story was followed by a collection of very varied stories with different subjects and styles. Some I liked more than other, but there was no story that I didn't enjoy reading. After finishing some of the stories, for instance "Love in the Balance", I fel...more
Carol Brannigan
I'm a bit torn on this book. To me they are science fiction stories - yet they aren't. I would suggest that the settings for the stories are based in science fiction and fantasy. However, the actual stories come across as dealing with standard life themes. The were a few hits and a few misses.

My favorites include: Nucleon, Rewind, Charlie the Purple Giraffe was acting strangely, and The Tale of the Golden Eagle. The ones I felt were lacking were: Falling of the Unicorn and I hold My Fathers Paws...more
Monica Boyd
David D Levine received a Hugo award for short fiction and also a 20 year medallion at the recent Iagsdc convention in SLC. Going to read his stuff!
Sandra
These stories remind me of Ray Bradbury in that he had such a unique way of looking at things. All the way from deep space and strange life forms to faeries. Wonderful, thought provoking stories that let you feel like you are there with the characters. I will definitely look up other works by this author and get into them. I would recommend this collection to anyone. I received this as an ebook through Library Things giveaways.
Cathy
May 22, 2013 Cathy marked it as to-read
[Really enjoyed his story in [book:Armored|12377899], "The Last Days of the Kelly Gang." I'm not usually a person who reads short stories, but I've been enjoying anthologies more, and the story was solid enough to seem encouraging when I saw that this book won an Endeavor Award and contains his Hugo Award winning story. - Will write a real review after I read the book.]
Mark Niemann-Ross
Everyone seems to be ga-ga about the Hugo winner "T'k' T'k' T'k'" but honestly, my favorite is "Charlie the Purple Giraffe Was Acting Strangely". It's a cleverly hidden discussion of existentialism - possibly space / time? Well worth a read by the Philosophy, Quantum Physics and Astrophysics majors.
Tamahome
Mar 01, 2012 Tamahome marked it as to-read
Heard em on sfsignal. http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2012...

This guy needs more ratings.

He has a lot of free short stuff online.

Veach Glines
Not engaging enough.
Minerva Zimmerman
Minerva Zimmerman marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Kelsae H
Kelsae H marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Sarah Sayre
Sarah Sayre marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Ashley Waldron
Ashley Waldron marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Billy
Billy added it
Feb 06, 2014
Phil Peterson
Phil Peterson marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Teshas
Teshas marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
1988739
David D. Levine is the author of over fifty published science fiction and fantasy stories. His work has appeared in markets including Asimov’s, Analog, F&SF, and Realms of Fantasy and has won or been nominated for awards including the Hugo, Nebula, Sturgeon, and Campbell. He lives in Portland, Oregon with his wife Kate Yule, with whom he co-edits the fanzine Bento.
More about David D. Levine...
Second Chance Titanium Mike Saves the Day Written on the Wind Tk'Tk'Tk Gears and Levers 1: A Steampunk Anthology