Start by marking “In the Casa Azul: A Novel of Revolution and Betrayal” as Want to Read:
In the Casa Azul: A Novel of Revolution and Betrayal

In the Casa Azul: A Novel of Revolution and Betrayal

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This breathtaking first novel explores Leon Trotsky and his wife's years of Mexican exile in the home of Frida Kahlo and her husband Diego Rivera. Mingled with the voices of Stalin's desolate young wife and that of Trotsky himself are the tales of the lesser known who have also created history--the Mexican artist who foretells Trotsky's death; a Bolshevik engineer survivin ...more
Published May 6th 2003 by Picador (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about In the Casa Azul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Casa Azul

Tripmastermonkey
The book's beginning is really amazing. There are some passages on Frida's art that i thought were really insightful, some interesting commentary on certain marxists' prudishness around weird things like surrealism, and some powerful passages on the Spanish Civil War.

The book was evidently expanded from a short story, and the middle of the book was too drawn out for me. I could have done without all of the chapters on Stalin (the passages on his second wife are okay). & There are other vigne
Shelley Cater
Meaghan Delahunt's debut novel is an historical fiction that chronicles Trotsky's exile in Mexico, hosted by Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera at the casa azul. Written from the perspectives of witnesses to the events; from Trotsky's secretary, his wife Natalia, his assassin, Frida's "Judas-maker", and even the childhood minds of Stalin and Trotsky, this work is lyrical without being overly sentimental. Delahunt's evocation of the imagery of Mexico and the October Revolution in Russia is rich and col ...more
Ros
Dec 04, 2014 Ros marked it as to-read
May be called In the Blue House
Arnoldo Garcia
In the Casa Azul provided an intimate access, a close encounter with the life now almost mythic, legend, of Frida Kahlo, a surprise. Frida Kahlo in this novel comes across as a human, a woman painter, frail, tough, vulnerable, protagonist of her own creation and creativity.

This is one of those books that almost demands non-stop reading from beginning to end and I wish it would go on even when the end the novel's and Frida's are inevitable, real, and you're able to realize how young she was and h
Judy King
Fascinating view of a turbulent time as the author expertly slides us gracefully from one narrator to another as each tells us their view of the times and situation--giving important bits of insider information.

It was interesting to stroll through the uncomfortable childhoods and young adulthoods of Stalin, Lenin and Trotsky--and seeing how they manifested these experiences into their famous lives and experiences.

I'm glad I read it.
Fascinating to read something set in the communist revolution (worldwide), definitely something left out of my American public school education. But the storyline drags to a hault about a third of the way in, and the characters are all over the place, not very connected, and often dull. I tried to perservere, for my education, but when the fictionalized version gets as slow as a textbook, that's when I throw in the towel.
Marta
Me cogí este libro porque me encanta la vida de Frida Kahlo y el argumento de esta novela se centra en la etapa en la que Frida tuvo a Trotski y a su esposa en su casa, ya que estos estaban exiliados y perseguidos. Hay pasajes que son muy bonitos, próximos a la poesía. El punto negativo es que hay muchas voces narrativas y los conocimientos históricos de esa época se dan por supuestos.
Peter
This novel, about the assasination of Leon Trotsky by an agent of Stalin, is a poetic, lyrical, hard-headed Historical account of one of the great betrayals of the 20th Century. Delahunt weaves a tale of intense interest and high tension and drama even though the story itself is well known.
Peter Campbell
This was a quite astounding and beautiful first book with a unique and interesting construction, giving a lot of well-researched background to the Russian revolution. I could not help but marvel at the deep insights to the human condition that this young author was able to produce.
Rebecca
I liked this book, but I did not like that it switched narrators every few pages. It was rather hard to follow.
Marvin
Something about Trotsky & Frida Kahlo in Mexico in 1940, but I couldn't make much sense of it by page 50, so I gave up.
Jennifer Kent
Great book about the mexican revolution, the russian revolution, Leon Trotsky, Frieda Kahlo, and Stalin
Laurie
Fascinating look into the life of Frieda Kahlo, Diego Rivera, and Trotsky.
A. H.
Beautiful rendition of little known pieces of important history.
Fer Martínez
Un grandioso retrato de Trotski en la Casa Azul de la Frida Kahlo.
Eddie
Trotsky in exile in Mexico - Frida, Diego Ramon Mercader
Jeanette
Jan 07, 2008 Jeanette marked it as to-read
another one i picked up at the bookstore in oaxaca
Jodi
A novel about the life of Frida Kahlo...
Junaid Taj
Junaid Taj marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Smsaloom
Smsaloom marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Udisku
Udisku marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Camaguey
Camaguey marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Sep 16, 2014
Jenina
Jenina marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Alice Petherbridge
Alice Petherbridge marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Negro with a Hat: The Rise and Fall of Marcus Garvey and His Dream of Mother Africa
  • Powder Necklace: A Novel
  • Black in Latin America
  • Those Bones Are Not My Child
  • Mankiller: A Chief and Her People
  • The Promised Land: The Great Black Migration and How It Changed America
  • The Industry of Souls
  • Asimov's Chronology of Science and Discovery
  • Harlem: The Four Hundred Year History from Dutch Village to Capital of Black America
  • The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo
  • Ερωτόκριτος
  • The Prisoner of Sex
  • Darkroom: A Memoir in Black and White
  • Ο ζητιάνος
  • Tropical Fish: Tales From Entebbe
  • The Autobiography of LeRoi Jones
  • The Rock Garden
  • The Blue Demon (Nic Costa, #8)
MEAGHAN DELAHUNT is the author of The Red Book and In the Blue House, which was longlisted for the 2002 Orange Prize, won the Saltire First Book Prize, a Scottish Arts Council Book of the Year prize and a Commonwealth Prize for Best First Book. She is an award-winning short-story writer and her stories have been widely anthologized and broadcast on BBC Radio 4. She lectures in creative writing at ...more
More about Meaghan Delahunt...
The Red Book To the Island A Fictional Guide To Scotland