Start by marking “After Dark” as Want to Read:
After Dark

After Dark

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,629 ratings  ·  73 reviews
MARGOLIN, PHILIP The bestselling author of Gone, But Not Forgotten offers an equally gripping novel--a roller coaster ride of legal suspense that begins with a pair of seemingly unrelated murders . . . and climaxes in a truly startling ending. Sure to be one of the summer's biggest hits.
Published May 2nd 1996 by Bantam (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about After Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Dark

VLynch
This book was great, however... After my husband and kids were in bed. And I was a bit stressed and unable to sleep. I read it straight in one night. Managed to get less than 2 hrs of sleep that night, the book was that good! Be sure to read the descriptions of the characters in this book, and imagine them in your head. For me, this book played out in my mind like a Crime Show on TV. And the ending made me gasp! It was so wrong, it was so good. I highly recommend this book.
Terry
I just had to give this book a 5 star. It was so good.
Why aren't I reading more Phillip Margolin? This book
was fascinating, kept my interest, and really fooled me
when I thought I had it figured out! Excellent!
Carl Brookins
Author Phillip Margolin is a criminal defense lawyer in Portland, Oregon, where this novel is set. The book reflects its knowledgeable creator. Descriptions set a well-thought-out series of locations, so the reader has a real sense of place and relationship of one to the others. The characters stand up and become real, well-modulated individuals. The novel takes on current trends to bring back and expand the death penalty. But while it is clear where the author stands on the issue, this is not a ...more
Jeff Dickison
Pretty good legal/mystery until the ending which was just stupid. Author trying to be clever almost totally ruined the book. The 3-star rating is for the first 95% of the book which is very good. Not recommended to anyone unless they like stupid endings. Bah!
Alison
One of the best Phillip Margolin books I've read to date. I could not put this book down. Margolin does an outstanding job of character development, so much so, that it made my skin crawl to read any page that had Charlie Deems on it, fearing that he knew I knew what he did in the past, and was doing now, and that I would become one of his victims because of my knowledge. I read a lot of mysteries and have never felt that way before. This is a real page turner, with twists and turns that kept me ...more
Debra

Formidable prosecutor Abbie Griffen is used to winning and being in control. She’s wealthy, attractive, highly respected and, except for her obnoxious ex-husband, Robert, is enjoying a great life. But Abbie’s world begins to unravel when a psychopathic murderer she helped put on death row is now free due to her ex who is a Supreme Court Justice. When Abbie is arrested for Robert’s murder, she hires famous defense attorney, Matthew Reynolds. Reynolds’ assistant, Tracy Cavanaugh, however, worries
Anna Stewart McCall
I became a fan of Phillip Margolin after reading "Gone but not Forgotten." That only continued with what I call his "branches of government trilogy" and has carried through to his independent novels, like this one, After Dark. Tracy Cavanaugh has just finished clerking with the Supreme Court of Oregon and accepts a job with the brilliant and enigmatic defense attorney Matthew Reynolds. She immediately finds herself embroiled in a high profile death penalty case when Reynolds is retained to defen ...more
After Dark. Phillip Margolin. 1995. Bantam. 354 pages. ISBN 0553569082.

After Dark is Phillip Margolin's fourth novel written in the courtroom-drama style Margolin has perfected since its release in 1995.

Tracy Cavanaugh is a smart, successful up-and-coming law clark who lands a position working under the prestigious Matthew Reynolds, a legendary defense lawyer. Tracy finds herself involved in the middle of a massive plot and case involving the murder of a judge by his accused ex-wife named Abbie
Tracy
A very good mystery. I wanted so much for Abby to be innocent and yet had my doubts all they way until the truth comes out - or what the reader believes is the truth. Then there's more to the book. A must read for mystery/thriller fans.
William
Mar 01, 2013 William rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: law
Phillip Margolin may never be accused of being the most detailed or atmospheric writer, but he does provide the reader with just the right amount of "legalese" in his law thrillers, a few nasty bad guys and a couple of good twists too to keep you engaged. I did feel, however, that he added one twist too many in this novel, and was more satisfied when it seemed like the novel ended at the 320 page mark. Margolin then added another turn in the plot, and I felt it didn't really fit with the charact ...more
Henry Brandt
Somewhat mixed feelings. I started out being put off by the author's amateurish habit of giving a physical description of everything and everybody when they are introduced. That gave way a bit as things progressed, and I became engaged with the characters and the plot. The twists and turns were pretty good! And the ending was pretty satisfying -- not predictable, not terribly easy or saccharine. And, given my interest in the law, Margolin's use of those details were fun -- maybe more for me than ...more
Drmaja
A very light who done it - perfect for commuting but not particularly challenging. I prefer Jo Nesbo or Tess Gerritsen.
Kim Higgs
I enjoyed this book but not as much as others by him. It is not one that I will remember but it was a nice, fun read.
Linda Fast
I liked "After Dark" because it was well written and it kept me guessing until the end of the book.
The story centers around a Abigail Griffen, a prosecuting lawyer, who is charged with the murder of her ex-husband a Supreme Court Judge. Griffen hires the best defense lawyer Matthew Reynolds whose office has just hired a new associate named Tracy Cavanaugh. Cavanaugh's research unwraps the truth which consists of deals and lies as well as hidden secrets. Cavanaugh also becomes involved with Reyno
Phantom Mojo
My rating system does not follow the traditional 5- or 4-star model.

I either like a book, or I think it's earth shattering and everyone would be better off for having read it, or. . . it's meh. . . or I dislike it.

There's no "sort of" disliking a book for me. Antipathy or nothing, I say.
Off with its head!

And when I was younger I expressed my disdain suchly when rating:

My time would have been better spent getting an enema.

Remembering this book.

Time would have been better spent. . .

Yep.

Check.
Chuck Ledger
Great plot twists.
Fred
I enjoyed this book very much.
Macjest
I was really enjoying the twists and turns of the book until one of the female characters became involved with one of the male characters. Given her history of unluckiness in matters of the heart and her icy demeanor I'm not buying that she would suddenly fall in love and jump in the sack.
So, I dropped a star in overall ranking for that inconsistency. Other than that, I did enjoy all the legal wrangling and detective work that took place.
Maurean
Another gripping legal thriller by my favorite of the genre!

When Tracy Cavanaugh is hired on by legendary defense attorney, Matthew Reynolds, her first big case involves the murder of a State Supreme Court Justice and the primary suspect is his wife - a celebrated defense lawyer whom Mr. Reynolds is very fond of, both professionally and 'personally'.

This one twists and turns right to the very end; a clever, suspenseful tale
Greer Andjanetta
Another excellent trial/mystery novel from Margolin.As well as an interesting story dealing with a released-from-prison psychopath, the Oregon State Supreme Court and some of its Justices, a revered defense lawyer and his pretty young new associate, the book gives a detailed account of how to build a pipe bomb, attach it to the underside of a car and rig it to explode when you are far away from the site.
Laurie
Decent murder/trial novel. I figured it out too early though, quite predictable, even though he tried to throw a few twists and turns in there. I didn't like that it wasn't focused - who was supposed to be the main character? It seemed to switch throughout the book, Tracy, Matthew, Abbie, hey even Charlie Deems at times. He should have stuck to one of them and made it flow better.
Paul
Pretty enjoyable to a point and a very easy read. Would be a respectable legal thriller but there comes a point where there are too many twists in a story, and this book may just cross that line. I stayed pretty engaged and was curious about how certain things would turn out, but the continual "surprises" at the end became tiresome and detracted from the evolution of the story.
Stanley
Burning Man - Heartstone - Gone But Not Forgotten not found on a list so far. Got these books the night Philip Margolin spoke in St Helens about the Maltese Falcon and then about his writing career. I liked these books OK. The best part about them is that his stories are based on actual legal cases. I liked listening to the author speak more than I liked reading his books.
Pat Phillips
Good story. Margolin's work is easy to read. How far should a lawyer go to defend his client? Should the lawyer bend (break) the rules to ensure an acquittal if the client is innocent? What if the lawyer is emotionally attached to the client? There are probably obvious answers to these, but human frailties can get in the way.
Sue
Jan 24, 2009 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery readers
Recommended to Sue by: Ruth Widener loaned me hers
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Fantastic and interesting to read of Portland, this author is coming up with information that I didn't know about Pdx! It also is a book that keeps me on my toes, some suspense and I usually read in bed before I go to sleep - not very conducive for that! Ha, ha, ha! The story line took awhile for me to figure out! What a GREAT ending!
Mark
A state of Oregon legal thriller...murders at the State Supreme Court and suspects galore...okay Margolin thriller...he has better...it was like the twists of "its only a dream" or the "evil twin" were all used up by the "soaps", so he developed the " you gotta be kiddin' me" plot devices of this book!!!
Clare
I took a chance on this book as I have to admit it isn't my normal read but I have to say I was gripped and enjoyed reading this book. After dark is not only just well written, you go through all the emotions alongside Abigail and are guessing right until that last moment.
Brittana Butler
One time while spending the summer at my grandparents, my Grandpa had this on his shelf. I borrowed it to read. I was 12 and remember thinking how sexual some of the content was. Even now, I like a little romance in a book. Not something comparable to 50 shades.
Mary Beth
An excellent court-room drama with a fairly pronounced anti-death penalty theme. I enjoyed the fast-paced read but felt the author put in too many twists and turns to make it completely believable.
Joyce McKune
Started out very confusing. Introduced a couple new characters in each of the first few chapters with what seemed like separate plots. When the plots melded, it became very exciting and hard to put down.
  • Prime Witness (Paul Madriani, #2)
  • The Final Judgment
  • Motion to Suppress
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • Pleading Guilty (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #3)
  • Capital Crimes (Will Lee, #6)
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • Moment of Truth (Rosato & Associates, #5)
  • Primary Justice (Ben Kencaid, #1)
  • The Tenth Justice
Executive Privilege (Dana Cutler, #1) Gone, But Not Forgotten Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2) The Associate (Amanda Jaffe, #2) Wild Justice (Amanda Jaffe, #1)