Start by marking “The Runaway Tortilla” as Want to Read:
The Runaway Tortilla

The Runaway Tortilla

In Texas, Tia Lupe and Tio Jose make the best tortillas -- so light that the cowboys say they just might jump right off the griddle. One day, a tortilla does just that. The tortilla runs through the desert pursued by two horned toads, three donkeys, four jackrabbits, five rattlesnakes, and six buckaroos. She is finally outwitted by Senor Coyote in this Lone Star twist on t ...more
Published September 13th 2000 by Winslowhouse International

To ask other readers questions about The Runaway Tortilla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runaway Tortilla

Elliott Smith
Jun 28, 2016 Elliott Smith rated it it was amazing
The Runaway Tortilla is an amusing, delightful (and somewhat dark) story which adapts the traditional story of the Gingerbread Man, retelling it with some Tex-Mex influences.

This is the story of a tortilla, which is described poetically as “light as a cloud and soft as the fuzz on a baby’s cheek." The tortilla is so light, in fact, that he hops up and runs out of the taqueria. He runs away, with the owners of the taqueria pursuing him. They are soon joined by creatures such as burros, lizards, a
Heather
Oct 14, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: rls-520

Fairy Tale Review #1

The Runaway Tortilla is a modern adaptation of the classic The Gingerbread Boy. This book is set in southwestern United States and closely follows the original story. Some of the main differences are the fact it’s a tortilla girl, she is being made to eat (not as a cure to loneliness), and the creatures that chase her are native to the desert. This book would be great a part of a fairy tale analysis project to compare different versions of this classic tale. The illustrations
Monica Ver Meer
Jun 08, 2016 Monica Ver Meer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-614
The Runaway Tortilla is a southwestern take on the classic tale of the Gingerbread Man. The light and fluffy tortilla runs away from the restaurant and goes on an adventure throughout the Texas dessert, singing a catchy tune about not being caught. This would be fun to read in comparison to it's fairy tale match. The mix of English and Spanish throughout the book also many it a fun read for many of my students.
Elizabeth
I would not use this book as a read aloud. This is a Texas version of the story. This story wasn't bad, but I didn't find it to be a particularly interesting take on the Gingerbread Man story.
Jess
May 04, 2012 Jess rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fractured fairy tale units; kids, say, 2nd on up
Super fun rolling haughty tortilla story. Really, do you need to know more?

Fractured fairy tale version of The Gingerbread Man set in Texas. It's one of my favorite fractured fairy tales to use with classes* since it easily works with 4th & 5th grade. Great example of changes in setting & character.

OK, so the repetition may get a little long BUT when that coyote shows up, hey now, you've got them. The room's quiet for everyone is waiting to see just what will happen.

*Yeah, so Kimmel us
The Book Box
Jul 29, 2015 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this to me this morning. I liked the tortilla's catchy song.
Michelle Gray
I liked the mix of Spanish and English words.
Carol
Year Published: 2000

This story is a fairy tale set with tortillas that are running away. It seems similar to the Gingerbread Man in that as the tortilla is running away she has a song that goes, "run as fast as fast can be. You won't get a bit of me. Doesn't matter what you do. I'll be far ahead of you!" As the tortilla is running away animals run after her and the number increases with every type of animal. I liked this story and even the ending is different as it is not "happily ever after" fo
Connie Eberhart
Sep 17, 2013 Connie Eberhart rated it it was ok
This would be a fun multi cultural take on the Gingerbread Man story and easily to adapt to a literary analysis for older students. My problem is this....the author refers to the donkeys as "jackasses" and I get that it has two meanings but it sent my 6 year old into a 5 minute rant about swearing and bad words. We finally read the story and she did like it, but unless you are going to alter the verbiage, be prepared to loose your kids in the donkey page.
Cheryl
Wonderful retelling of the gingerbread man with the use of action words like slithering, scampering and galloping. I was glad to see that the people are short and stout, rather than the typical tall and thin. While not happy ever after, I liked the ending. Soft illustrations were ok.

Uses the word "Jackasses" when the tortilla spoke to donkeys.
Camilla
Dec 18, 2013 Camilla rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit, 2013-books
A nice, culturally diverse folktale to compare with the gingerbread man (sametales in different parts of the world, etc.).

Favorite line?
"Hee-haw! Hee-haw! Come bray with us, Senorita Tortilla!"
"Silly jackasses! Catch me if you can!" the tortilla yelled.
Deana Pittman
Mar 22, 2010 Deana Pittman rated it really liked it
Abbi loved this one! It is very similar to the story of the gingerbread man, but with a Spanish theme...very cute!
Dayna
Aug 21, 2008 Dayna rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
a similar story to that of the Gingerbread Boy. We read them together and compared the similarities in the two books.
Corinne
Aug 06, 2008 Corinne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young readers
Based on the Gingerbread Man with a Hispanic twist.
Gretchen
May 01, 2008 Gretchen rated it really liked it
A fun re-working of the gingerbread man story.
O
Jun 02, 2009 O rated it liked it
An unusual spin on the classic gingerbread man.
Lorna
Nov 02, 2014 Lorna rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
An adaptation of The Gingerbread Man.
Hallie Jackson
Hallie Jackson rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Manybooks
Manybooks marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Marilyn Souza
Marilyn Souza rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Grillables
Grillables rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Dancingdiva
Dancingdiva rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it did not like it
Jun 28, 2016
Kyra
Kyra rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Jessica Smith
Jessica Smith rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Eric A. Kimmel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1946. He attended PS 193, Andries Hudde Junior High School, and Midwood High School. Brooklyn College was across the street from his high school, so he didn’t want to go there. He headed west, to Easton, Pennsylvania where he graduated from Lafayette College in 1967 with a bachelor’s degree in English literature.
Eric worked as an elementary school teache
More about Eric A. Kimmel...