Start by marking “Suspect (Joseph O'Loughlin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Suspect (Joseph O'Loughlin, #1)

Suspect (Joseph O'Loughlin #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  6,649 Ratings  ·  680 Reviews
London psychiatrist Joseph O'Loughlin seems to have the perfect life. He has a beautiful wife, an adoring daughter, and a thriving practice to which he brings great skill and compassion. But he's also facing a future dimmed by Parkinson's disease. And when he's called in on a gruesome murder investigation, he discovers that the victim is someone he once knew. Unable to tel ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published December 27th 2005 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Suspect, please sign up.

Twyla Is it a difference between unabridged and abridged? I really have to watch the audiobooks to make sure I do not get the abridged version which has…moreIs it a difference between unabridged and abridged? I really have to watch the audiobooks to make sure I do not get the abridged version which has been greatly shortened.(less)

Mary Beth
Jan 06, 2017 Mary Beth rated it really liked it
I am going to rate this 4.5 stars, only because it was a little slow in the beginning. I was at about 30% then the action started and it was a rollercoaster ride. This is the first book in the Joseph O'Loughlin Series. I will surely be reading more of his books. This book was so hard to put down. I am serious. I recommend this to all thriller lovers.

Christine
Jan 20, 2017 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1st-of-series
4 .5 stars

I’ve had Michael Robotham’s Suspect, book #1 of the Joseph O’Loughlin series, on my radar for a couple of years and finally decided to give it a go. Two thumbs up!

Suspect gets off to a banging start and kept me glued to the pages throughout. The story is told in first person narrative from O’Loughlin’s point of view. Since he is a psychologist, we get considerable psychological insight, not only into Joe’s head, but also in his take on some of his patients, particularly the enigmatic
Brenda
Dec 12, 2016 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Robotham has a new fan! This was a very satisfying read!

Joe O'Laughlin is married, has an 8 year old daughter, is a psychologist, and was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. Joe gets involved in the investigation of the murder of a hooker, but eventually DI Vincent Ruiz comes to think of Joe as a suspect. Well, THE suspect.

I really enjoy books centered on an ordinary guy getting himself into extraordinary circumstances. Joe doesn't always do the right thing and he makes a fair n
Maureen DeLuca
Jan 04, 2017 Maureen DeLuca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A solid 4 1/2 star read- but because this was a new author - and and author that I found out about from a wonderful Aussie Group I just had to bring it up to a 5 star read! Suspect is the first in the Joseph O'Loughlin series-and it was a good one for sure. The book was a bit long , and perhaps it could have been trimmed down just a bit- but at no time was I 'rolling my eyes' or getting impatient where I just skimmed thru it to get to the next chapter.

Joseph O'Loughlin - a psychologist is someo
Sharon
Psychologist Joseph O'Loughlin and wife, Julianne are happily married and have a young daughter named Charlie. Life had been going along really well for the family until, Joe is diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. Joe does as much research as he can on the disease, but not wanting to tell anyone about it until he can come to terms with it himself.

The body of a young woman is found with stab wounds and at first it is thought she is a prostitute. Joe is asked to help find out who the victim is an
David Staniforth
Some time back I read a more recent book of this series Watching You, not taking note of it being part of a serialization. The book worked perfectly well as a stand alone, and I loved it. More recently, I read, Life or Death and loved that too. Therein, I decided to go right to the beginning and read Robotham’s first book. Guess what? I loved it.

Some reviews mention that the main character's actions are implausible and that he isn’t a very likeable person, and that may be true on both counts. My
Brenda
Psychologist Joseph O’Loughlin feels like his perfect life is unravelling faster than the clock is ticking. His friend Jock, a doctor, has just diagnosed him as having Parkinson’s Disease, and Joe is shattered. He closes in on himself, not talking to his wife, Julianne, making her unsure about him, and what is happening. His beautiful daughter, 8 year old Charlie, senses something is wrong…

When a young woman is found with multiple stab wounds that appear to be self-inflicted, Joe is horrified to
Phrynne
Sep 01, 2014 Phrynne rated it really liked it
This was my first book by this author and it will certainly not be my last. The story was gripping from the first page to the last. In fact even when it appeared to be finished the author came up with one last totally unexpected plot twist. The book was well written and the characters were honestly portrayed with all their bad as well as good characteristics. There were no heroes, just normal people struggling with abnormal situations. I enjoyed it very much and look forward to the next book in ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
It's very hard to like a book when you hate the main character. Joseph O’Loughlin is a shining example of everything I despise. He is self-centered, whiny, deceitful, unprofessional and weak. In short, he’s a lying, cheating bastard.

Postmodern fiction is full of antiheroes, but most of them have one redeeming quality you can hold on to. Joe has none. Robotham stripped him of anything a reader could like. The only thing left is the fact that he has Parkinson’s desease. I’m ashamed to admit there
Mary
Apr 30, 2017 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Dear Reader,

This is the first book in the Joe O'Loughlin series,and as such,introduces us to the man,his family,home life and friends.

A clinical psychologist who receives a devastating health diagnosis,Joe is very much portrayed as an 'everyday' guy,one whose human frailties have seen him make mistakes and,as a result,finds himself and his immediate family paying the ultimate price.

This was an intriguing read,centred on a certain Bobby Moran and his impulsive actions,lapsed memories and a scar
Gary
Jul 30, 2013 Gary rated it liked it
Having read his latest novel which I really enjoyed, I decided to read the series from the start with 'Suspect'. I did enjoy it but I didn't think that it was up to the same standard as his recent novel.
I found the plot a little bit predictable but the novel does succeed in setting the foundations for a very good series of books.
Kim Ebner
Dec 20, 2015 Kim Ebner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great page turner. This was my first read by this author and I'm happy to say that I'll definitely be buying the next book in the series. Lots of action, characters to love and hate and a good plot. All together a very good read. Definitely recommended.
Li'l Owl
What a great book! Fantastic pace with unforeseen twists that kept me turning the pages with gusto! This is the first in the series and I can't wait to see what happens next! A must read!
Rick
Apr 15, 2017 Rick rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. All the necessary elements of a thriller with a terrific twist at the end.
Donna
Feb 02, 2012 Donna rated it did not like it
Karen Brooks
Aug 25, 2012 Karen Brooks rated it really liked it
Having read Michael Robotham’s Joe ‘O’Loughlin books our of order (I literally read Say You’re Sorry, the latest, first – and loved it – see earlier review), I found I didn’t enjoy this first in the series as much as I feel I probably should.
Don’t get me wrong – this is a tautly written, gripping thriller that takes you on a roller-coaster ride as we’re introduced to the recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s, psychologist, Joe O’Loughlin. Dealing with this advancing neurological disease and the fa
Kokila Gupta
Aug 25, 2014 Kokila Gupta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, mystery
The book is not a Crime Classic but is pleasingly different from its contemporaries. While sharing many common threads with other contemporary crime fictions (murders can't be done much differently eh!) it offers an interesting scenario with a finely etched cast of characters and nuanced narration of their behaviour. Remember,it was translated in 22 languages.

Mercifully, the people in the book act and speak responsibly according to their parts and do not provide unbelievably out-of-character sor
LJ
SUSPECT (Psy. Suspense-Joe O’Loughlin-England-Cont) – VG
Robotham, Michael – Standalone
Doubleday, 2005, US Hardcover – ISBN: 1582881294

First Sentence: From the pitched slate roof of the Royal Marsden Hospital, if you look between the chimney pots and TV aerials, you see more chimney pots and TV aerials.

The police have asked psychologist Joe O’Loughlin for help solving the murder they suspect to be a prostitute. Joe not only recognizes the woman, they had a brief relationship. Joe suspects one of
Tony
Jan 04, 2016 Tony rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
SUSPECT. (2005). Michael Robotham. *****.
This is the first stand-alone novel by this Australian writer. It will have you turning pages as if in a hypnotized state until you reach the end. The writer tells the story of a psychologist who becomes embroiled in the death of a young woman with whom he once had a passing relationship. As he attempts to help law enforcement with additional information, he finds himself becoming more and more the focus of the investigation – a person of interest. As the
Cheryl
Feb 19, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written crime novel, the first in a series featuring psychologist Joe O'Laughlin and set in England. In this book, Joe's just been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. He has to deal with his changing health, along with helping the police solve the murder of a woman - someone Joe comes to recognize from his past. I liked how the author made Joe seem real and flawed, not a perfect hero. He makes mistakes, both in his personal life and in solving the crime. The book started out a little slow, ...more
Msjodi777
Mar 29, 2016 Msjodi777 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I really don't know how I discovered this author, but I have to admit that Suspect by Michael Robotham absolutely blew me away. I couldn't stop listening. I don't normally care for first person stories, but this one, with all the different things going on in Joe's life, it was almost like you were going mad with him. Of course, he did do a few things, that were pretty stupid, and I'm thinking: "I can't believe that fool did that!" But as things unfold, the plot gets more and more convoluted ...more
Kathryn
I really enjoyed this as I read it, and suspect (no pun intended!) that I will continue to read more of this Joseph O’Loughlin series. However, it was actually fairly forgettable, since now - 6 days after finishing it - I can’t actually remember it in much detail at all!! But I do remember that it was a good read at the time and kept me turning the pages… It was a nice change, as I haven’t read very much of this genre lately.
Paula Lyle
Aug 01, 2013 Paula Lyle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This book starts out with a bunch of stories about violence towards women. This has nothing to do with anything - it's just an added bonus. The protagonist is a jerk who admires and pities himself in equal measure. He lies to everyone for no discernible reason, except if he didn't he wouldn't be a suspect. Sorry.
Jenny Hilborne
Jul 14, 2014 Jenny Hilborne rated it really liked it
London psychologist Joe O'Loughlin is a family man who has just received some devastating news about his health. Joe is at a meeting providing counseling for a group of prostitutes and is interrupted by an aggressive Detective holding a photograph of a murder victim. DI Ruiz believes the victim might have been a prostitute and he invites Joe to assist in his investigation. Joe soon learns the dead woman is a nurse, a former patient of his, and one with whom he shares bad history.

When Joe learns
Steve
Sep 03, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
I was a little shocked by this book. Firstly, the disease that the main character has is rather confronting all by itself, and then you get the storyline picking up with talk of murder. It builds up in a direction, and you think you understand how it is going to go, and then author pulls the rug out from under you, and you feel dazed and confused. It built up slowly, with many twists, turns and back-flips to a very delicious climax, and a mostly satisfying resolution. My only niggle would be tha ...more
Sharon
Sep 27, 2009 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I ruined some of the suspense in this book because I read Shatter first not realizing it was a series so, I was going to give it 4.5 stars but then realized it was unfair bc I was the one who read them out of order. This book - wow - what can I say about? I loved it. More twists than a crazy straw. And I just adore Joe. Basically, it was a who done it but with so much intensity I couldn't put it down.

I will recommend Michael Robotham over and over and over again.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it did not like it
The premise sounded good and I love mysteries ... but I found this book really really slow. I wouldn't recommend it.

I wasn't sympathic to Joe at all. He finds out he has Parkinson's ... so gets drunk and sleeps with a former hooker. Hello ... he has a wife!!

The ending is definitely convoluted! Whatever ...
David
Oct 16, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
An outstanding psychological thriller by Michael Robotham and the debut of his brilliantly flawed psychologist Joseph O'Loughin. I am so thrilled to have come across another amazingly talented Australian author to work through. In fact, I am seeking out number 2 in the series as we speak.
Leah
Jun 22, 2014 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2014, thriller
High quality thriller...

When the body of a young woman is found following an anonymous tip-off, coincidentally psychologist Joe O’Loughlin is close to the scene. But when it turns out that he also knew the victim and even had what could be seen as a motive, Detective Inspector Vincent Ruiz’s belief in coincidence is stretched past breaking point. As he becomes the chief suspect, Joe finds he must investigate the crime himself to find out why everything about it seems to lead back to him. And sud
Daniel Rudge
Apr 08, 2014 Daniel Rudge rated it really liked it
Suspect is one of those books that you have to invest yourself in to get any payback. The book is broken into three smaller books, each with a specific objective. In book one, Robotham gives us the background on his protagonist Joe O'Loughlin, a psychologist that has many character flaws. His wit is adorable, his determination to help his patients laudable, but his inability to talk with his wife (which is her biggest need), his inability to say what needs to be said because he overanalyzes his ...more
  • Das Wesen
  • Truth Lies Bleeding (DI Rob Brennan #1)
  • Precious Blood
  • Die Reinheit des Todes (Julius Kern, #1)
  • Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1)
  • The Dragon Man (Inspector Challis, #1)
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • The Stranger You Seek (Keye Street #1)
  • Never Look Back (DI Mike Lockyer, #1)
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)
  • Schnitt
  • The Cold Cold Ground (Detective Sean Duffy, #1)
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • Mordsfreunde (Bodenstein & Kirchhoff, #2)
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • A Dark Redemption (Carrigan and Miller, #1)
  • Fear Itself
Edgar finalist and Gold Dagger winning author, Michael Robotham was born in Australia in November 1960 and grew up in small country towns that had more dogs than people and more flies than dogs. He escaped in 1979 and became a cadet journalist on an afternoon newspaper in Sydney.

For the next fourteen years he worked for newspapers in Australia, Europe, Africa and America. As a senior feature write
More about Michael Robotham...

Joseph O'Loughlin (8 books)
  • Lost (Joseph O'Loughlin #2)
  • Shatter (Joseph O'Loughlin, #3)
  • Bleed for Me (Joseph O'Loughlin #4)
  • The Wreckage (Joseph O'Loughlin, #5)
  • Say You're Sorry (Joseph O'Loughlin #6)
  • Watching You (Joseph O'Loughlin, #7)
  • Close Your Eyes (Joseph O'Loughlin, #8)

“Remember, the worst hour of your life only lasts for sixty minutes. (292)” 32 likes
“People think it’s easy to be cynical and pessimistic, but it’s incredibly hard work. It’s much easier to be hopeful.” 8 likes