Start by marking “Love Poems” as Want to Read:
Love Poems

Love Poems

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  1,287 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Twenty-five poems celebrating the sensual frontiers of Sexton's time.
Published October 1st 1999 by Mariner Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Love Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Poems

Ahmad Sharabiani
Love Poems, Anne Sexton
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دهم دسامبر سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: عشق دیوانگی و مرگ ؛ عاشقانه های آن سکستون؛ شاعر: آن سکستون؛ مترجم: طیبه شنبه زاده؛ تهران، سرزمین اهورایی؛ 1393؛ در 67 ص؛ شابک: 9786006792248؛ موضوع: شعرهای عاشقانه آن سکستون - قرن 20 م
از شعرهای کتاب با عنوان: ما

ما در بدنهای شخصیمان بودیم
(همان اتاقی
Alexis
Jun 28, 2007 Alexis rated it it was amazing
I love this book of poems (and have for many years) because of one poem it contains which has a grace and beauty and truth that I recognize and admire and that breaks my heart each time I really think about it. I hope that despite a messy (if only for its failure to be epic or stormy or contented and sweet) past love-life I will never know the pain that the the speaker of this poem knows. I hope that this poem, if nothing else, will remind me to secure my heart from loving men such as these, reg ...more
Matthew
Dec 27, 2016 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Everyone in me is a bird.
I am beating my wings.
They wanted to cut you out
but they will not.
They said you were immeasurably empty
bu you are not.
They said you were sick unto dying
but they were wrong.
You are winging like a school girl.
You are not torn.

Sweet weight,
in celebration of the woman I am
and of the soul of the woman I am
and of the central creature and its delight
I ding for you. I dare to live.
Hello, spirit. Hello, cup.
Fasten, cover. Cover that does contain.
Hello to the soil of the fields.
We
Ruby
Mar 08, 2013 Ruby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2013
3.5 Having now read three Sexton's, I find her to be a bit of a hit and miss. The only thing is, when she hits, she hits so damn hard.
Magda
Sep 28, 2008 Magda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sexton lovers, hopeless romantics, hopeful romantics who wish to become hopeless
Shelves: indispensable
One of my favorites. Knife-twisting in your inside-feeling parts. Completely necessary. If I had enough skin I would have "Eighteen Days Without You" tattooed somewhere.
Brendan
May 05, 2015 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of mentions of birds, animals, flowers, and the weather, but for the most part sticking to the subject promised.

About a third of the collection is comprised of the long poem, "Eighteen Days Without You". "December 4th", "December 15th", and "December 18th" are the best sections, methinks.

Other poems worth noting:

"The Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator"
"Barefoot"
"Mr. Mine'

She is the sum of yourself and your dream.
Climb her like a monument, step after step.
She is solid.

As for me, I am water
Isaac Timm
Jan 04, 2017 Isaac Timm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2017
I'm very glad I own this collection and can unwrap these poems over multiple reads. Each poem is multi-layered, dispair and deep sensuality wove together by sharp imagery and well constructed metaphors. Goodreads doesn't list the edition I own: 2 Printing Hardcovered book printed in 1969
Dana Jerman
Sep 02, 2012 Dana Jerman rated it really liked it
What a lovely little collection. Engaging. Examines desire in a very beautifully sexual, yet sexually understated way.
Stephanie Hempel
Jul 21, 2016 Stephanie Hempel rated it it was amazing
Such a skilled poet. I've read this over and over again
Rachele
May 16, 2017 Rachele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5

I fully understand that this is Anne Sexton the legend and that she won the Pulitzer Prize for poetry but this just did not do it for me. II picked this up at the thrift store and I probably never would have read it anyway but it was short so I gave it a shot and I really had a hard time getting through it.

It was really gritty but overly so, kind of a dark love poetry I guess, but had long bumbling metaphors that I didn't connect with and didnt make much sense at all.

As a result, this 67 page
Matthew Metzdorf
Jun 04, 2017 Matthew Metzdorf rated it liked it
I read the first half. it was okay
Brandon
Jan 25, 2017 Brandon rated it it was amazing
Eighteen Days Without You hurts the way that being apart from your lover hurts. It's excruciating and lonely, filled with remembrance and longing. I pined along with her.
Simona Friuli
Mar 14, 2017 Simona Friuli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Per la prima volta mi trovo nell'impossibilità di dare un giudizio coerente - non poco incide la straordinaria personalità dell'autrice. Una raccolta di audaci poesie d'amore ondivaga: ne ho adorate alcune, e detestato la poca grazia ritmico-espressiva di altre - di certo non mi hanno mai trovata indifferente. Un far poesia che scardina ogni tabù - soprattutto per quanto riguarda corpo e sessualità femminile - e che racconta la risurrezione della carne. Non ho sempre trovato la messa in pratica ...more
Valerie
Jan 01, 2012 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Anne Sexton was one of the first poets I really got attached to in college. I had my first access to the internet and there weren't very many websites about poets, but there was one about Anne Sexton. It included some of her poems.

I never read through a whole book of Sexton, I only read specific poems. It was great to read through a whole book.

I read about half of the poems before and loved reading them again. I liked the poems best when they weren't in form.

The poems were so full of life and f
Nov 08, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book of poems. I had never read Anne Sexton's work, and so I felt like this was a good place to start,

Although the title suggests lovey dovey, mushy poetry, a lot of them are quite the contrary. Her narrative tend to be very sad (particularly, "For My Lover Returning to his Wife" and "You All Know the Story of the Other Woman"). They revolve around heartbreak, and the sunken feeling that comes with having an affair with a married man. It's an interesting perspective that Se
Allison
Aug 11, 2011 Allison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I think perhaps that Anne Sexton gets a little overlooked sometimes, perhaps a little overshadowed by Plath (don't get me wrong - I love Plath). But this collection of poetry is great. Sexton writes from the woman's body and does so so sensually, yet she manages to make these poems (narrative of a love affair) politically motivated. She creates a world where the difference between people can melt into a union of tenderness. Excellent collection.

From "Eighteen Days Without You"

December 11th

Then I
Lisa
Jun 26, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why so many love poems lately? I dunno, but I am enjoying the day trips.

From this collection, I loved "Again and Again and Again" and "The Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator" and "For My Lover, Returning to His Wife." I loved them even though I don't normally love graphic and explicit -- I think for their cadence and physicality and heartonsleeve-ness. For instance, from "The Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator":

She took you the way a woman takes
a bargain dress of the rack
and I broke the way a sto
Rachel Ann Brickner
Sep 08, 2009 Rachel Ann Brickner rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2009
I just could not get into this collection as much as "Live or Die" no matter how much I wanted to. Perhaps some of the poems are too ethereal for me? I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I found myself dozing off while reading some of them, while others jolted me out of my seat their use of language was so powerful and evocative. My favorites from this collection are: "The Touch", "The Breast", "That Day", "In Celebration of My Uterus", "For My Lover, Returning to His Wife", "The Break" (A bird ...more
Jun 23, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it
The only poet to rhyme "entrails" with "cocktails"

Anne Sexton is often called a confessional poet, which makes me think of Ani DiFranco, but Sexton's voice is more ironic and reserved than the slam poetry tell-all style that followed her.

Also she uses techniques of concrete poets such as William Carlos Williams in her constant mention of everyday objects. She is not comparing herself to greek goddesses or historical figures, she is describing very closely her life as a 60's housewife, and it is
Drew
Feb 10, 2015 Drew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
There are bad poets, good poets, great poets and then there is Anne Sexton slyly rising to the side, above them all. Nonchalantly subversive, her "Love Poems" is both a snub and a continuation of a literary tradition. Who else but the Bostonian bard of witchery housewifery would have thought to versify the intoxications and mortifications that accompany an extramarital affair and then throw the brilliant "Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator" into the mix for good measure? In short, no one. Peerless ...more
Emily
Jul 02, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever been in love with the wrong person
Could Anne Sexton's poetry BE any sadder? I suppose it could, and therein lies the genius of it. It straddles the boundaries of grief and joy with brilliance. I love this book and the notion that love poems can be grim and full of adulterous desires. Anne Sexton, I wish you'd written a poem about me.
Meghan
Sep 12, 2015 Meghan rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
Oh how I wanted to like this book! And I can appreciate the artistry of it, but I cannot say I enjoyed it. So many of the poems were based in nature and broader images, and I like my love poetry to be (if not explicitly, exactly...) more specific.

Recommended to: fans of beat poetry and stream-of-consciousness thoughts, or people who enjoy reading more nature based poetry (think Mary Ruefle)
Kate
Feb 20, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The way Sexton approaches love makes me weak in the knees. Gorgeous, soul-rending poetry -- definitely my favorite collection, ever. I have read this through many, many times and find something new on each reading... but usually, if nothing else, Sexton reminds me to be present in love, cultivate its details, and check my analytics at the door.
Greta Mcgee
Jul 15, 2015 Greta Mcgee rated it really liked it
I wasn't familiar with Anne Sexton until recently, but reading her gave me a complete different perspective of women in her time. Anne Sexton's writing is intensely raw, but at the same time, it's nothing like female contemporary writers today. I admire how truthful she was to herself and here views on the world of romance.
Pt Bunch
Feb 20, 2013 Pt Bunch rated it it was amazing
Oh my god! Song for a Red Nightgown may be the most sensual and vulnerable love poem ever written. I've had it hanging in my cube for a couple years and read it when I need to remind myself of humanity's potential beauty.
Shawn
Apr 27, 2010 Shawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You All Know The Story of the Other Woman," is my favorite poem in the book. And the best line, "She is his selection, part time. You know the story too! Look, when it is over he places her, like a phone, back on the hook."
Sep 28, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Extremely allusive and personal, and at times elusive.
Nevertheless, Sexton never relinquishes her ability to surprise.
Especially excellent, in this collection, are The Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator and For My Lover, Returning to His Wife.
Lisa
Oct 22, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I will come back to this again and again: it's the very best kind of poetry, the kind that makes you want to sob and laugh in the same sentence, and the kind that makes you not want to talk to anyone for hours because getting lost in it is the better option.
Craig
Aug 19, 2011 Craig rated it liked it
A more in depth review is owed, but for now... Five stars to The Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator, The Papa and Mama Dance and four stars to the long piece Eighteen Days Without You.

Much of the rest failed to truly capture me.

Kathleen
May 16, 2008 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-fun
Erotic poetry - gotta love it!
  • The Wellspring
  • Searching for Mercy Street: My Journey Back to My Mother, Anne Sexton
  • All the Odes
  • Black Life
  • The Country Between Us
Anne Sexton once told a journalist that her fans thought she got better, but actually, she just became a poet. These words are characteristic of a talented poet that received therapy for years, but committed suicide in spite of this. The poetry fed her art, but it also imprisoned her in a way.

Her parents didn’t expect much of her academically, and after completing her schooling at Rogers Hall, sh
More about Anne Sexton...

“Everyone in me is a bird
I am beating all my wings”
316 likes
“Being kissed on the back
of the knee is a moth