Start by marking “The Cute Book” as Want to Read:
The Cute Book

The Cute Book

The world of craftsters is full of things Japanese Cute - kawaii, and the look created by Aranzi Aronzo is familiar to many but not until now has a single one of the hundreds of bootleg American copies they've sold been in English. Finally these priceless books of mascots, accessories, clothing and well, just about everything, come in ready-to-read English!
Published February 6th 2007 by Vertical

To ask other readers questions about The Cute Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cute Book

Creepy Cute Crochet by Christen HadenKawaii Bento Boxes by Mieko BabaChi's Sweet Home, Volume 1 by Kanata KonamiThe Art of My Neighbor Totoro by Hayao MiyazakiTwinkie Chan's Crochet Goodies for Fashion Foodies by Twinkie Chan
Kawaii Culture
55 books — 22 voters
Knits for Nerds by Toni CarrTwisted Stitches by Phil DavisonThe Star Wars Craft Book by Bonnie BurtonAnticraft by Renee RigdonCreepy Cute Crochet by Christen Haden
Geek crafts
70 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Eyehavenofilter
Jan 01, 2014 Eyehavenofilter rated it really liked it
Shelves: artworthy
Just the thing I need to add to my craft shelf, as if I need more... I can't help myself... I have all this stuuuufff that I hate to throw away, and want to make use of. THIS is the PERFECT reuse recycle book for that. If you've got bags of old clothes that you just can't part with, or love love love, but couldn't put on unless you lost 300 pounds.. and want to pet and cuddle with loving memories of something sweet.
Make a " lovey" out of that " scrappy" thingy and put it in a place of glory, li
Oct 26, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it
This crafts book, which contains patterns on how to make adorable felt creatures such as matching bunnies, is basically the cutest thing ever. (Well, ok, I bet you noodled that out from reading the title, but still.) The only drawback is that if you don't know how to sew, you'll want to run out and learn immediately because the stuff in here is so goddamned adorable that you'll want all of it.
Angela
Sep 19, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts, read-2012
Recent birthday present. Some very cute designs featured and I look forward to testing some of them out shortly.
Tamara
Nov 29, 2008 Tamara rated it liked it
This is truly adorable. The book's layout and instructions are simple. Though I don't often have a need for stuffed felt bunnies and robots, it's still fun to flip through.

The cutest by far is the bunny, and I love the image in the intro of the felt bunny making its own felt bunny.

Squeal!
Alea
Dec 13, 2009 Alea rated it liked it
After making more than half of the felties in Nelly Pailloux's Felties I started poking around for other similar books. I located this one, took a look at it at and purchased it. By now I had the basics down so was just looking for some new patterns.

I noticed a few strange and not very cute patterns (to me) but bought it anyways for some of the cute ones. The ones I thought were strange were things such as "Kidnapper", "Bad Guy", and "Liar", I think they are just the sense of humor of the creato
Tarlen
Awalnya aku ketemu sana Aranzi Aronzo di Internet dari hasil penelusuran hyperlink. Aranzi lelaki berayah Mexico dan beribu Jepang. Semetara Aronzo yang juga pemain tamborin ini adalah lelaki Norwegia campuran Vietnam dan India. Keduanya sepakat mendirikan usaha yang didasari pada kecintaan mereka pada craft dengan nama Aranzi Aronzo. http://english.aranziaronzo.com/index...

Pengaruh Japanese Craft memang sangat kental terasa dalam karya-karya Aranzi Aronzo. Karena keduanya tinggal di Amerika cuk
Jane Francis
Apr 20, 2012 Jane Francis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-books
Extreamly adorable and easy to make...you think you don't need little felt critters? What exactly would you do with them? The real question is, what couldn't you use them for?

-Nice, simple layout and playful text and ideas through out. Easy enough for begginers and youngsters, and so darn adorable even pros would enjoy making them all day. The end of the book has gazillions of ideas for using the patterns as appliques, as well as how to modify the little guys to serve every and any seemingly use
hollytree
Jan 08, 2009 hollytree rated it really liked it
illustration-wise this is 5/5..but the instructions were a little "too cute" and vague. i'd recommend it to people who are confident in the basic stitching skills and know how to make the "french knot" or else your mascots won't resemble anything in the book.

here's the only french knot tutorial that really helped me, it's all in the angle of the needle and tension of the string...

mascots aka softies are a great hobby to pickup though. it's almost like join
Carrie
Feb 21, 2009 Carrie rated it really liked it
It is, actually very cute. I made two of the figures for Xmas presents and people loved them. They are harder to make than they look, though, because they are soooo tiny. You'd think it would be easier to sew tiny things, but not necessarily. I wanted to share a pattern with my 10 and 13-yr. old neices and decided I should enlarge the patterns by 50% so they wouldn't get frustrated. I still want to make more of these.

I also like that because the animals are really so simple, it inspires you to m
Lauri
Jan 04, 2010 Lauri rated it it was amazing
Very cute projects that can be made by anyone-even if you have never sewn before. Great for kids, and the projects are very inexpensive to make, since they recommend you use sheets/pieces of craft felt (usually you can get about 3 or 4 for a dollar at places like Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Joann's, etc...).

However,if you decide that you want to make something that is going to last for a long time, I would recommend using "real" wool felt or another type of fabric, as the craft felt will p
Claire
Mar 17, 2011 Claire rated it it was amazing
this is cute and weird. This has lots of Aranzi Aronzo characters which you make into felt mascots. Some obviously cute things - bunnies, pandas, kittens and some less so fish and frog and some down right weird alien, kidnappers and liar.

I made a character called Mechani-Panda (a panda robot) but not from felt but cross stitched on stitching paper. My mum mad a blue felt bunny for a baby book for my nephew.

piccy at twitpix
jess
Jan 25, 2008 jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft, 2008
This book is full of terrible cute creatures that you could make yourself. Stock up on felt & polish your thimble. I hope you already know how to make a french knot, because you'll be doing it a lot. The front half of the book is loaded with precious creations, and the latter portion has ideas on how to use these adorable creatures in unexpected contexts. It's short & sweet, and really cute, as you might expect.
Ybgenny
Feb 04, 2014 Ybgenny rated it it was amazing
Easy to read and adorable.

Do you have kids that want to learn to sew? The Cute Book is one of the best. At lest its the one that I've had the best luck using when teaching kids to hand sew.

It gets 5 stars for,

Fun easy patterns, simple patterns that are easy to modify and being a good interdiction to hand sewing.(And of course for being beyond cute)
Cindywho
Aug 02, 2007 Cindywho rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Crafty people
Shelves: nonfiction
I took this out of the library just because I wanted to take a look at it. I'm still mildly obsessed with amigurumi, so I don't think I'll be stitching felt anytime soon. The creatures are pretty darn cute though.
MamaCarrie
Sep 07, 2007 MamaCarrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craftymama
So much fun. It's a challenge to make the creatures in the book because of their small size, but the basic skills of constructing a stuffed toy are clear and simple. The basic patterns in the book can be enlarged and embellished to create as many different creatures as you can come up with.
Mar 28, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
This is a cute book. The designs are cute, and the instructions are easy to follow. Everything is very simple. It would be find to make some of these dolls with kids or teenagers. There is no machine sewing involved.
Christopher
Aug 15, 2008 Christopher rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who's feeling crafty
This book makes me want to buy mountains of felt and googly eyes and fill my home with creepy cute little doodads and tchotchkes. I can't knit or crochet to save my life, but I can stitch together little Frankenkitties with some thread and a bottle of Elmer's glue, you betcha. Cute cute CUTE!!!
Kathy
Nov 26, 2007 Kathy rated it liked it
Learn to make cute and bizarre felt friends in The Cute Book. Lots of great pictures and easy-to-follow instructions make this a great book for crafty tweens or teens. I would have loved to make these when I was in my crafty teen years.
Jacki
Apr 28, 2008 Jacki rated it liked it
Got this book for Christmas. I thought the construction of the animals was too cumbersome (all hand sewn). I never actually finished any of the ones I started, but started amigurumi instead. But cute patterns, would be good for people learning to sew/a rainy afternoon with no kids.
Melissa
Mar 28, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crafty people and those who like wierd Japanese things
This is the CUTEST BOOK EVER!!! Whether you make the critters shown in this book or not, it is still adorable and will make you want to flip through it again and again.
Judy
May 31, 2008 Judy rated it it was amazing
Want to make plush dolls that are super cute. Get this book. Great simple how to instructions and cut outs!
Tracey
Mar 04, 2008 Tracey rated it liked it
Nonfiction; craft. Easy-to-make felt "mascots" (small, cute animals to hang from your bookbag, etc.) from Japanese crafters Aranzi Aronzo.
Beck
Jun 20, 2009 Beck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cute, how_to
I love these darling felt dolls! I made one with minimal fuss (and scored some cheap felt, to boot), AND there's no need to enlarge the patterns on this one. Perfection.
Jill
Aug 24, 2007 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
These adorable felt mascots are even tinier than they appear. I think in the future I might blow some of the patterns up just a little bit to make them a touch easier to work with.
Atomicgirl
Mar 06, 2008 Atomicgirl rated it really liked it
Good news for the chronically maladroit. You, too, can create adorable crafts with The Cute Book. Easy instructions with pictures to guide you every step of the way.
Margot
Jul 31, 2008 Margot rated it it was amazing
I don't sew, which may be why my review is so high. I just lurve the copy on this book; it's high-larious. I just want to eat it to pieces.
Gayle
Sep 28, 2011 Gayle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty
Love this book!!! Have made many of the animals. Bad Guy I have made and given many many times. They turn out exactly like the pictures. Easy and excellent!
Niku
Aug 21, 2007 Niku rated it really liked it
this is pretty adorable. I made three tiny plushies so far. it's challenging cutting and sewing on such a small scale but the patterns are great and they are damn cute!
Dana
Jul 25, 2007 Dana rated it liked it
Recommends it for: crafters
Of course cute! And actually easy to make. I'm using these patterns also to make a family of dolls as gifts for young relatives.
Jane
Oct 01, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a great step-by-step book to help you make adorable cute dolls for your dolls. I am not crafty and even I can follow these instructions.
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • The Crafter's Companion: Tips, Tales and Patterns from a Community of Creative Minds
  • Softies: Simple Instructions for 25 Plush Pals
  • Sock and Glove: Creating Charming Softy Friends from Cast-Off Socks and Gloves
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Creepy Cute Crochet
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk Screens
  • Subversive Seamster: Transform Thrift Store Threads Into Street Couture
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • Sew Darn Cute: 30 Sweet & Simple Projects to Sew & Embellish
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
Hello, we are ARANZI ARONZO.
ARANZI ARONZO is the name of the company that makes original goods.
And it is the name of the shop, where the original goods produced by ARANZI ARONZO, are sold. Besides, it is a group's name rather than one person.
Such as a band name for music. A unit name, a stage name, or a pen name.
Anyhow, we are ARANZI ARONZO.
Our catch phrase is "cute, strange, cool, silly, a little
More about Aranzi Aronzo...