Start by marking “Because I Could Not Stop My Bike” as Want to Read:
Because I Could Not Stop My Bike

Because I Could Not Stop My Bike

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Karen Jo Shapiro's lighthearted take on some of the most celebrated poems from English and American literature will bring a smile to readers everywhere. Twenty-six hilarious poems fill the pages of this book, and many of them should sound familiar -- if just a little off. From a little dog's version of Shakespeare to the fractured homage to Emily Dickinson of the title poe ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Charlesbridge (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Because I Could Not Stop My Bike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Because I Could Not Stop My Bike

babyhippoface
This would be a fun addition to a unit on poetry, even in high school classes. Read the original works first, then these clever "adaptations".
Kendra
This lies somewhere between Prelutsky, who we all find just okay, and Silverstein, whom we love...our favorite is "Macaroni and Cheese".
RachelvlehcaR
These are fun poems from famous poems. They are cute parodies that children and adults will enjoy, especially adults since we know the original poem. I think this is a great book for teachers to use in the classroom when having children write poems. It would be a lot of fun to read their poems.
Louisa
Because my mother wants "a favorite poem" for her 75th birthday and poems about death seem inappropriate, the poem of the title is what she is getting. Plus she broke her pelvis when she fell off her bike and I hope she can laugh about it.
Will
This book was written by Karen Jo Shapiro.the book is called because I Could Stop My Bike. It is a good book and I can relate to one of the poems, Because I Could Not Stop My Bike because I got a concussion.I got my concussion on my sis b day July 15th.I like this book because all of the funny poems it has in it.I recommend this book to people who like funny poetry.
Anna J.
Because I Could Not Stop My Bike and Other Poems by Karen Jo Shapiro is a book that is made up of very silly poems. The author uses other famous poets’ poems format and changes the words to make them her own. For example, Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s “How Do I love Thee?” is changed to the title, “How Do I Love Ketchup? Let Me Count the Ways.” This book is not only humorous in its poem’s content and author’s “apologies” to the authors, but also in Matt Faulkner’s creatively drawn illustrations. ...more
Oh my, how I love parody poetry! This is chock full of fun poems modeled after all manner of classic poets. I love that the poems are about silly subjects, and while staying within the parameters of the poems they model, they are written in a way that is utterly appealing to kids (or the childish part of adults). The artwork is beautiful as well. All in all, this is a must have book of poetry for me to share with my kiddo.
Lauren
This book is full of fun engaging poems. The topics they cover are even silly things as well. Each poem is equally appealing to children. There is a wide variety of poetry throughout this book and they are each well represented. This book would be great to keep in a classroom and share with students to lighten the mood or just during a transitional time. Awesome book!
Jessica L.
This cute book takes classic poems and makes "kid friendly" versions of them. There are 26 poems in the book.

Themes: Poetry and children

This could be used in an upper elementary class with comparing and contrasting the two versions of the poems.
Susan Wilcox
It helps if you know the originals, but these poems are fun regardless. Definitely a book I'd give to kids with no hesitation.
Leslie Nelson
this book is funny I think that every one shod get the chains to read this book it is so funny <^_^>
Marlene
Cute play on classic poetry. Says what kids think about important things in their lives.
Shoshana
Poetry parodies! I wish I'd written this one.
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Mar 03, 2014
Reese Schlosser
Reese Schlosser marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013