Start by marking “The Courts Of The Morning” as Want to Read:
The Courts Of The Morning

The Courts Of The Morning

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Begins in the pleasant atmosphere of a country house in the Scottish borders, where Richard Hannay is the guest of his old friend, Sandy Arbuthnot. The drama shifts to a small South American republic in the grip of a dictator. John Buchan is the author of The 39 Steps and Greenmantle.
Published November 1st 1993 by B & W Publishing (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about The Courts Of The Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Courts Of The Morning

dragonhelmuk
Mar 17, 2012 dragonhelmuk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mark
Dec 03, 2013 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first picked up Buchan's Greenmantle through an article on the web called '10 most esoteric Archer references' or something. Mallory was reading it just before she shoots Archer I think.

With a bit of research it looked to be a pretty good read, and it was. This was backed up with The 39 Steps, another excellent read, and one I think Hitchens wrote about (in Arguably). Back from the time when the British were actually badass, crying how-de-do and kicking Fritz in the pants. Charming tales of e
Elizabeth
Prescient as a lot of other Buchan work, this one set in an imaginary South American country where a multilingual highly educated aristocrat who speaks many languages, has a history as a WWI spy and enviable chameleonlike qualities that allow him to pass as most any ethnicity or social class, starts--you guessed it!--a guerrilla revolution in the highlands fighting for peasant rights and against capitalist domination, recruiting all his upper classd friends--whom if you are a Buchan fan you've a ...more
Dana
Oct 28, 2013 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book was listed in a collection of Richard Hannay stories (the protagonist of The 39 Steps), Hannay makes only a brief appearance at the beginning. This book follows the adventure of some of his friends, particularly Sandy and Archie. The book is divided into three parts, and I admit I had a hard time making through the first one. The pacing is slow in "book one," and many pages are spent following a character who is moving around the country not knowing is anything is going on. Th ...more
Melody
Jan 02, 2010 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received this from a family friend who introduced me in the first place to Buchan. She found it at a thrift store... and I've been on the lookout for it forever!

I enjoyed the book--mostly. Yet Buchan's political opinions (expressed through his characters, of course) and hard-to-imagine landscape descriptions were a little much, and were a bore. However, what I loved was the adventure with Sandy Arbuthnot (now Lord Clanroyden) at the forefront, who is nearly an exact imitation of T.E. Lawrence; a
Rog Harrison
I probably should have read this before "The Island of Sheep". This book was first published in 1929. Hannay only features in the prologue but this book features many of the characters from the Hannay series. It is set in a fictitious South American country where a revolution takes place. The plot is far fetched and the change of one character from villain to hero is unbelievable but I went with the flow and enjoyed this adventure.
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
South American republic Olifa is rich in minerals and ripe for revolution. John Buchan's high adventure with Ian McDiarmid and Fiona Francis.
Stephen
Sep 25, 2014 Stephen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite of Buchan's novels. I've read nearly all, perhaps all of them. A potboiler.
Dark-Draco
Jul 05, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, thriller
I have to say that I really liked this - it is probably the best of the Hannay books I have read so far, although Richard Hannay actually has little to do with the story, except introduce it and notice that Sandy is acting oddly. Maybe it was the change from 1st person, to 3rd person, narrative that did it, but I found this a lot easier to read than the others. The story was a bit far-fetched, and I never really did get exactly why Castor was such a threat, but as a lover of fantasy fiction, I ...more
Chris Ball
May 28, 2013 Chris Ball rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as instantly thrilling as the main Hannay novels but still an intriguing tale that drew me in and I enjoyed seeing the side characters take the reins of the story. Plus any book that uses hand drawn maps to detail the action gets my vote.

Definitely wish I'd read this BEFORE The Island of Sheep though as it fleshes out Sandy's story and a certain recurring character's...
Amanda
Aug 11, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
just not up to par with his other works. there were moments of action, but the story wandered.
J. Trott
May 01, 2014 J. Trott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So the seeds of the British international thriller genre are here. There are great parts, but I couldn't get passed the idea of a civil war as a clever way to dispose of a bad man. Civil war costs too much.
K.
Apr 03, 2009 K. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointed in this one. Buchan did not excell in making a reader care about a fictional place, even when inhabited by great characters introduced in other books. Oh well.
Bettie☯
Jun 13, 2014 Bettie☯ marked it as lookedinto-decidedagainst  ·  review of another edition
This is being aired next Sunday (4/12/2011) on R4x if you are attracted to Hannay stories but it is not for me.
Martin
Jul 17, 2014 Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of the John Buchan books, all good suspense classics from another time. Well worth a look.
R.L.
Jul 24, 2010 R.L. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of the Richard Hannay "thrillers" now. This one was a little too spread out for my taste.
Steve
Nov 30, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just pick it up. Looks like another great adventure by John Buchan. Most of the story is in South America.
Endeavour Press
This book is published by Endeavour Press
Nev Thomas
Ok but the worst Buchan book I've read
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Gabriele
Gabriele marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
vicki glover
vicki glover rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Lai Peng
Lai Peng rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Odreka Amira
Odreka Amira marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Muriel Schwenck
Muriel Schwenck marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
  • A Murky Business
  • The Hotel
  • An Academic Question
  • The Complete Stories of Evelyn Waugh
John Buchan (1st Baron Tweedsmuir) was a British novelist and public servant who combined a successful career as an author of thrillers, historical novels, histories and biographies with a parallel career in public life. At the time of his death he was Governor-General of Canada.

Buchan was born in Scotland and educated at Glasgow and Oxford Universities. After a brief career in law he went to Sou
More about John Buchan...