Start by marking “The Traveler” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  83 reviews

Acharming fable that evokes a life lesson we would all do well to learn: living and lovingare time well spent.

Once, there was a boy named Charlie. He had a pretty nice life . . . but it wasn’t perfect. So one day he packed up all his time—all his round, squishy years and square, mushy months, down to every itsy-bitsy second—in his suitcase and locked it up safe, said
Published November 25th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Traveler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traveler

Chuck
Aug 06, 2013 Chuck rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chuck by: Marlene French
I picked this small novel to read as the result of a friend on Goodreads. It is a cute almost childlike book with an adult message which was meaningful to me. Simply put, you have only so much time to live, share and enjoy your stay in life. Don't wake up one day and wonder where it went.
Ashley (cnthrdlywt2bwz)
The illustrations were cute but I read it in less than five minutes, standing in the library. Very predicatble. I don't know why they would agree to publish this, let along put it in the library. Seems like a gift-kind of book to me done by a third-grader. sorry.
Veronica
Jun 10, 2009 Veronica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone.
Recommended to Veronica by: the new book shelf
Shelves: adult-fiction
This is a poignant fable about using your time wisely and living life to the fullest. Guaranteed to be a tear-jerker, The Traveler is 48 pages worth of time well spent.
Bobby
As with music, if I think that I could have written it, it can't be very good. Too simple, too obvious, and a severe lack of profundity.
Nicole
Sometimes you just need a little reminder about the universe, and this is a most perfect reminder.
Stacy
I thought this was a sweet 5 minute read. There isn’t exactly anything profound about spending your time wisely as advice, but it left me with a smile on my face and a little nod in agreement. If you have a moment I’d see if your library has a copy. I also think it could be a cute gift for a young person going offi into the great unknown for the first time. They might not fully appreciate the lesson (not many do in their youth) but it is packaged in such a way (easy to read with illustrations) t ...more
Camille
Corny, striving for depth...wannabe The Little Prince. Not Moved.
Shannon
If you could pack your time - your "big, bulky decades, your round, squishy years, your square, mushy months, your triangular, shiny weeks and your raggedy days" - where would you spend them? If you could save your time to spend on something, what would it be? Would you, like this small, spare book's titular character, travel the globe looking for the perfect way to spend it, only to have it whittle away without you noticing?

So often, I feel like my time is not my own. This book left me determin
Eksi Nadiasti
"Once there was a boy named Charlie, who had a nice life – but it wasn’t quite perfect. He had to spend too much of his time doing things he didn’t want to do. So one day he packed up all his time in a suitcase, locked it up, and set off to find a better way to spend it. Charlie traveled the world looking for the perfect thing to make him happy. In the meantime, unbeknownst to him, his itsy-bitsy seconds and silky, smooth hours and raggedy days ticked away, so that when Charlie stopped traveling ...more
Robbie
This is a slim picture book with a target audience of adults. Teens will most likely not enjoy it, but adults and small children will.

The fable tells the story of young Charlie, who decides to pack all his Time into a suitcase and travel the world searching for the perfect thing to spend it on. In the end, however, Charlie learns that it isn't how you spend your time that is important, but who you share it with.

The book is very touching, and accompanied by very nice illustrations with a distin
Jackie
A young boy sets off to find happiness with his suitcase stuffed with 'time.' As we all know there's no way to save time or our 'spending' of it. I wish more people really internalized the moral of this story: that being with those you love and who love you is the best way to 'spend' time.
Lorena Fabiana
It's a simple book, a reminder that perfection is not the aim of life, but the quality of how we spend it. :)
Rhonda
VERY quick read. Simple story, young person packs up all his hours, minutes and seconds of "time" in his suitcase and travels the world to discover how best to spend his "time", only to return home an old man, lonely, with wasted time. Moral of the story...spend your time wisely with things that matter.
You either read this and think it is quite profound, or...not.
I'm somewhere inbetween.
Maybe a good gift for graduates.....
Donna Hutt Stapfer Bell
Delightful little book found on the clearance shelf at Starbucks, marked down to $2.99 from $12.95.

Would make a lovely song - the text is circular but lyrical and the end result is a quick trip through a life squandered by thinking 'I have all my time - I can wait to spend it when something REALLY PERFECT happens' - and of course, that never comes.

Lovely gift - and the size is just right for tucking into a suitcase.
This has many qualities of a children's picture book. There are simple illustrations on almost every page, and the text is intentionally repetitive. It only takes a few minutes to read the entire book. It packs a powerful lesson about how to spend your time and about what is most important in life. Although written for adults, I think it would also be great for kids.
Christina
A story with a moral but for grown-ups. It made me say, "huh," but nothing more than that, but to its credit I was not fully present to it, as I read the entire book while standing in a Starbucks line waiting for friends to order while thinking, "Why am I in Starbucks right now?" and "Why does Starbucks have a book program?" But the illustrations are cute too.
Michelle BF
Short (and I mean short) and sweet. This might be the perfect book for January book group. Told in fable fashion, a young man packs up his time to travel the world looking for what will make him happy (and what he wants to spend his time on). As short as it is, its "moral of the story" makes for some thought provoking life assessing.

Jennifer Daniel
For such a short little book it crammed in a big dose of depression. The main gist was you can't waste your life waiting for something perfect you should just settle. I disagree! I have been settling and after time settling turns into seething hommicidal rage. I wish I would have kept searching for at least Ok, if not perfect.
Vicky
A little toy of a book, only 35 pages long with pretty illustrations and a lot of wisdom. The story reminds me the one from The Alchemist. The life is about how you spent your time, the only real thing you have in your possession. When your time is coming to the end, no other riches of the world are relevant. Use your time wisely.
Marlene French
This is a very short read featured previously at STARBUCKS. I have had it quite some time and picked it up today reading it in about 5 or 10 minutes. At first I felt it to be more of a Children's book but in a few words it has a big meaning which really touched me! Nice surprise! Give it a read! I will pass this on to someone special.
Monty
This five minute read is a really short story with illustrations about a boy who packs up all of his time and travels around the world to discover the perfect place to spend his time. Check out the book to discover how long his journey takes and what happens to the time he packed, and if he finds perfection.
Robynn
A Fable. Reminded me of The Giving Tree which I discovered in college. Now in late life I find The Traveler speaks a truth. We live in a world where there are so many choices and opportunities. It is easy to be dissatisfied with what we have and to miss enjoying the moment and place we are in.
Kristi
A little boy packs up time in his suitcase and journeys across the years to find meaning in life. A heartwarming fable that hints at the meaning of life. I was able to read this during my 15-minute break and it brightened my work day. This gives a whole new meaning to a quick read!

Ms. Bridget
Short read. Can be read within about 20 minutes. Although I found it in the adult part of the library, I am not totally sure if its an adult book, or childrens book but its cute either way. Its approximately 40 pages long {give or take about 2 pages or so...They're not numbered}
Lorena
Once there was a little boy named Charlie...who decided to pack up all of his time in a suitcase and keep it safe. He left home to travel the world looking for something worthwhile to spend his time on to make him happy...only to have the time slowly slip out as he went along...
Elizabeth La Lettrice
Cute little story to remind myself that you don't need to travel the world to find happiness! - OR If you do decide to travel the world, make sure you "spend the time" to enjoy every little thing around you! :) (As an avid world traveler -in my dreams- I like that idea better.)
Uilleam
This is a short read, written very simply, as if for primary school children. However the message is poignant, and a good reminder of how fleeting a life can be. I enjoyed it and recommend it not only as a quick read for all adults, but also as a bedtime story for kids.
Sara
A quick read. Much like "The Little Prince", it is a short story about not losing track of too much time in life looking for something that doesn't exist and missing out on all the great things and wonderful people that are right in front of you. Cease the day!
Anne
This little illustrated book is such an inspiring and heartwarming read! I can identify with Charlie, but I just hope that like me, everyone would learn that living and loving are time well spent.
Great book for booklovers and travel junkies like me!
Lizette Valles
One of my students gave me this book as a present. I didn't read it until a few months after (terrible huh?), but I finally got around to it and it's a special little book. It taught me to appreciate the time that God has given me here on earth.
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro/The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
  • Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • The Variable Man and Other Stories
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • Press Enter
  • The Goonies
  • Happy Birthday, Danny and the Dinosaur!
  • The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate
  • Lifeblood
  • Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose
  • The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts About It
  • The Dreaming Jewels
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
Il Viaggiatore El viajero/ The Traveler (Spanish Edition) the Traveler the Traveler